TESTERS WANTED! ×

When to get new wedges

Brian A

I know theres been a lot of talk on the 50 rounds and wedges are done. Is that true for amateurs as well? How would I know when my wedges are starting to go? My wedge game has slowly decreased and Im not sure if its something I'm doing or the wedges just arent responding how they used to?

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

It will vary by how much use of each wedge but in general it’s a yes the 50-70 rounds is for any wedge by any person. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

To maintain optimal spin, the presented information is probably accurate.

The wedges I have in my bag were used when I bought them 5+ years ago. I play once a week, Practice short game, and throw in an occasional 9 during league season. I am well past those numbers and am probably due for an upgrade but they still work; probably losing most performance on partial wedges, and I haven’t worn a flat spot onto the face.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

26 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I have found that by spreading out the strikes all over the club face, wedges last longer.  😁

I like this approach. It’s been useful in my wedges too

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just depends on use.  MGS recommends 70-75 rounds I believe, at which point you'd notice an appreciable difference in spin, but of course that depends on how much you're practicing with them.  Even then, if you tend to rely more on bump & run shots and want your chips to run out more this will be less of a concern.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

5 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Just depends on use.  MGS recommends 70-75 rounds I believe, at which point you'd notice an appreciable difference in spin, but of course that depends on how much you're practicing with them.  Even then, if you tend to rely more on bump & run shots and want your chips to run out more this will be less of a concern.

Titleist put out some videos and data on the subject as well showing how distance control diminishes as the wedge wears over time

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/video-the-vokey-team-on-groove-wear-and-spin-performance

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I have found that by spreading out the strikes all over the club face, wedges last longer.  😁

LOL that takes some skill as well... a different set of skills, but skills nonetheless 😄

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I am due for a new 56 degree, I have had it for a number of years now and it is ALWAYS the first club I pull out on the range.  I will typically hit about 30-50 shots on the range with it before any other club and as you know, range balls are not the best balls for longevity of clubs.  I don't get much spin anymore with the wedge as far as being able to pull the string, however when my ball hits the greens, it usually stops or rolls out maybe a yard.  I can live with that.  When they were new, I can't tell you how many times I hit a good shot only to have too much spin and the ball wind up 30ft away from the ball mark.  This would not be a problem if I knew how to control spin but guess what.......I don't. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 hour ago, Apes44 said:

I know theres been a lot of talk on the 50 rounds and wedges are done. Is that true for amateurs as well? How would I know when my wedges are starting to go? My wedge game has slowly decreased and Im not sure if its something I'm doing or the wedges just arent responding how they used to?

I go by the texture on the face. My wedges have face milling that produces rough feel when you rub your fingers across. 

Several articles online referencing what creates spin and wedge types (i.e. face milling) and wedge face duration.

One source article on wedge spin from Tom Wishon I like is found at : https://wishongolf.com/2012/05/02/wedge-backspin-create-backspin-with-a-micro-groove-wedge/

9 hours ago, Kanoito said:

LOL that takes some skill as well... a different set of skills, but skills nonetheless 😄

It's not something I do on purpose.  It's a lack of skill...  probably L.O.F.T.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 shanks and that wedge is history!  I generally replace mine when the tree is too tall to climb or they're too deep in the pond to retrieve them. 😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 7/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Titleist put out some videos and data on the subject as well showing how distance control diminishes as the wedge wears over time

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/video-the-vokey-team-on-groove-wear-and-spin-performance

I remember when this came out.  Drives me nuts.

They're right, the spin degrades over time, but it's not the wear on the grooves thats the cause.  Grooves are really only involved when impediments are in play (early grooveless tests showed an increase in spin).  It's the clubface surface integrity that's the issue.

Tom Wishon has suggested several times that you can refresh a wedge by hitting the clubface with Aluminum Oxide or similar media every so often.  Gives you the surface texture that'll get er done for short game spin.

Hard on the chrome, though.  If you're playing a chromed wedge.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 7/10/2020 at 10:24 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

I am due for a new 56 degree, I have had it for a number of years now and it is ALWAYS the first club I pull out on the range.  I will typically hit about 30-50 shots on the range with it before any other club and as you know, range balls are not the best balls for longevity of clubs.  I don't get much spin anymore with the wedge as far as being able to pull the string, however when my ball hits the greens, it usually stops or rolls out maybe a yard.  I can live with that.  When they were new, I can't tell you how many times I hit a good shot only to have too much spin and the ball wind up 30ft away from the ball mark.  This would not be a problem if I knew how to control spin but guess what.......I don't. 

This reminds of the story about the amateur who went to get a lesson from Harvey Penick. He asked Mr. Penick to teach him "how to backspin the ball." Mr. Penick wanted to know where his misses were: left, right, long, or short. "Short," said the amateur. Wryly, Mr. Penick replied, "Well then why the hell do you want backspin?"

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Sure, I can buy that the high initial spin of a fresh wedge wears off rather quickly (call it 50, 75 or whatever # of rounds - your choice). That said, I also think that they settle into a very usable state after that stage and stay there for far longer. I guess I've just gotten used to playing wedges during their long middle-age years and that is fine for me. Sure they don't have that "new wedge" bite, but to say that they're not quite serviceable is a fallacy.

And I'll reiterate what was stated above that Wishon says the biggest component of new wedge performance is the friction of the flats between the groove, with the actual grooves and their edges themselves playing a secondary role (in dry conditions). Wishon also says that one can sandblast a wedge to restore that like-new friction surface.

I'll let in on a little secret: if you already have an air compressor, you can build a little sandblaster to do this job for under $5. It involves a soda bottle and an air gun nozzle and a few handfuls bit of ordinary play sand. Lookup DIY sandblaster on YouTube and you'll find a lot of examples all showing the basic setup.