Sign in to follow this  
Brian A

When to get new wedges

Our Sponsors

I know theres been a lot of talk on the 50 rounds and wedges are done. Is that true for amateurs as well? How would I know when my wedges are starting to go? My wedge game has slowly decreased and Im not sure if its something I'm doing or the wedges just arent responding how they used to?

• Like 1

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

It will vary by how much use of each wedge but in general it’s a yes the 50-70 rounds is for any wedge by any person. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

To maintain optimal spin, the presented information is probably accurate.

The wedges I have in my bag were used when I bought them 5+ years ago. I play once a week, Practice short game, and throw in an occasional 9 during league season. I am well past those numbers and am probably due for an upgrade but they still work; probably losing most performance on partial wedges, and I haven’t worn a flat spot onto the face.

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What exactly wears on a wedge that it needs to be replaced after 50 - 70 rounds? if it's the grooves, I've never noticed a lot of wear after playing a wedge for 5 years. Is it the same for irons?

26 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I have found that by spreading out the strikes all over the club face, wedges last longer.  😁

I like this approach. It’s been useful in my wedges too

• Like 3

Just depends on use.  MGS recommends 70-75 rounds I believe, at which point you'd notice an appreciable difference in spin, but of course that depends on how much you're practicing with them.  Even then, if you tend to rely more on bump & run shots and want your chips to run out more this will be less of a concern.

Currently testing the Honma TR20 460 driver!

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

5 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Just depends on use.  MGS recommends 70-75 rounds I believe, at which point you'd notice an appreciable difference in spin, but of course that depends on how much you're practicing with them.  Even then, if you tend to rely more on bump & run shots and want your chips to run out more this will be less of a concern.

Titleist put out some videos and data on the subject as well showing how distance control diminishes as the wedge wears over time

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/video-the-vokey-team-on-groove-wear-and-spin-performance

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I have found that by spreading out the strikes all over the club face, wedges last longer.  😁

LOL that takes some skill as well... a different set of skills, but skills nonetheless 😄

• Like 3

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I am due for a new 56 degree, I have had it for a number of years now and it is ALWAYS the first club I pull out on the range.  I will typically hit about 30-50 shots on the range with it before any other club and as you know, range balls are not the best balls for longevity of clubs.  I don't get much spin anymore with the wedge as far as being able to pull the string, however when my ball hits the greens, it usually stops or rolls out maybe a yard.  I can live with that.  When they were new, I can't tell you how many times I hit a good shot only to have too much spin and the ball wind up 30ft away from the ball mark.  This would not be a problem if I knew how to control spin but guess what.......I don't. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

1 hour ago, Apes44 said:

I know theres been a lot of talk on the 50 rounds and wedges are done. Is that true for amateurs as well? How would I know when my wedges are starting to go? My wedge game has slowly decreased and Im not sure if its something I'm doing or the wedges just arent responding how they used to?

I go by the texture on the face. My wedges have face milling that produces rough feel when you rub your fingers across. 

Several articles online referencing what creates spin and wedge types (i.e. face milling) and wedge face duration.

One source article on wedge spin from Tom Wishon I like is found at : https://wishongolf.com/2012/05/02/wedge-backspin-create-backspin-with-a-micro-groove-wedge/

9 hours ago, Kanoito said:

LOL that takes some skill as well... a different set of skills, but skills nonetheless 😄

It's not something I do on purpose.  It's a lack of skill...  probably L.O.F.T.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 shanks and that wedge is history!  I generally replace mine when the tree is too tall to climb or they're too deep in the pond to retrieve them. 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 7/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Titleist put out some videos and data on the subject as well showing how distance control diminishes as the wedge wears over time

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/video-the-vokey-team-on-groove-wear-and-spin-performance

I remember when this came out.  Drives me nuts.

They're right, the spin degrades over time, but it's not the wear on the grooves thats the cause.  Grooves are really only involved when impediments are in play (early grooveless tests showed an increase in spin).  It's the clubface surface integrity that's the issue.

Tom Wishon has suggested several times that you can refresh a wedge by hitting the clubface with Aluminum Oxide or similar media every so often.  Gives you the surface texture that'll get er done for short game spin.

Hard on the chrome, though.  If you're playing a chromed wedge.

• Like 2

Cobra King LTD @ 10.5*, ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5"
2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
3-PW:  Mizuno MP37, DGS300
GW: Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
SW:  Ram TG-898 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, Cleveland Designed By, or Mizuno TPM-2, all at 34", or Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro or FG Tour, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc

Sometimes play 2-PW Golden Ram TW282 or 2-PW 1980 Golden Rams

Occasionally swap in Orlimar or Ram persimmons at the top end of bag

On 7/10/2020 at 10:24 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

I am due for a new 56 degree, I have had it for a number of years now and it is ALWAYS the first club I pull out on the range.  I will typically hit about 30-50 shots on the range with it before any other club and as you know, range balls are not the best balls for longevity of clubs.  I don't get much spin anymore with the wedge as far as being able to pull the string, however when my ball hits the greens, it usually stops or rolls out maybe a yard.  I can live with that.  When they were new, I can't tell you how many times I hit a good shot only to have too much spin and the ball wind up 30ft away from the ball mark.  This would not be a problem if I knew how to control spin but guess what.......I don't. 

This reminds of the story about the amateur who went to get a lesson from Harvey Penick. He asked Mr. Penick to teach him "how to backspin the ball." Mr. Penick wanted to know where his misses were: left, right, long, or short. "Short," said the amateur. Wryly, Mr. Penick replied, "Well then why the hell do you want backspin?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
3 wood: :ping-small: Rapture 14* with Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
4i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Sure, I can buy that the high initial spin of a fresh wedge wears off rather quickly (call it 50, 75 or whatever # of rounds - your choice). That said, I also think that they settle into a very usable state after that stage and stay there for far longer. I guess I've just gotten used to playing wedges during their long middle-age years and that is fine for me. Sure they don't have that "new wedge" bite, but to say that they're not quite serviceable is a fallacy.

And I'll reiterate what was stated above that Wishon says the biggest component of new wedge performance is the friction of the flats between the groove, with the actual grooves and their edges themselves playing a secondary role (in dry conditions). Wishon also says that one can sandblast a wedge to restore that like-new friction surface.

I'll let in on a little secret: if you already have an air compressor, you can build a little sandblaster to do this job for under $5. It involves a soda bottle and an air gun nozzle and a few handfuls bit of ordinary play sand. Lookup DIY sandblaster on YouTube and you'll find a lot of examples all showing the basic setup. 

• Like 1