Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Sunnies, shades, sunglasses, whatever you call 'em... whatchu got?

GregGarner

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few pair, but they're all identical.

Classic Blues Brothers Ray Bans ground to my progressive lens prescription.

That's what goes best with suits and hats, from what I can see.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I recently moved from my Tifosi sunglasses to a pair of Rock Bros Transitional lens glasses.  The lenses aren't as optically good as the Tifosi were, but they're still very acceptable for golf and I like that they adjust the tint as necessary.  For years, I wore Oakley Flak glasses, but got tired of buying them every time I lost/broke/misplaced a pair.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I’ve worn Oakley Flak Jackets for as long as I can remember. I’ve always liked the fit so they are my goto sunglasses on and off the course. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Carbon Professional model from NYX Sunglasses. I originally started wearing those years ago because you could get a prescription insert. Since cataract surgery, I no longer need that insert and they are a nice wrap around style that comes with three different shades of lenses. They are lightweight and reasonably priced.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I find that if I start my round with them on I need to keep them on for the entire round or else it throws me off. Haha I know, call me crazy! I use polarized but honestly don't know if it makes a substantial enough difference to justify the cost increase some brands charge. I've had luck with affordable options from Amazon. I did buy a high-end pair of Oakley's only to find out that the sand from bunker shots scratched them up after a year of wear.

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

2 hours ago, CanadaMike said:

I find that if I start my round with them on I need to keep them on for the entire round or else it throws me off. Haha I know, call me crazy! I use polarized but honestly don't know if it makes a substantial enough difference to justify the cost increase some brands charge.

I'm the same. If I put them on, they have to stay on. When I was in high school, my dad taught me how to test glasses: put them on, then look at your feet. lift the glasses up. Your feet will look like they've moved as the edge of the lens passes. But some will move more than others, so you gotta figure out how your vision will be affected by taking your glasses on and off.

I've picked up a couple pairs of Goodrs for $25 a piece. They're not bad for the price! The only real complaint I have with them is they are not wrap-around and so if the sun is behind you, it can reflect off the inside of the lens 😕 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I can't play with them on, but after the shot I use Oakley polarized orange/yellow tint. I used to have the David Duval Oakley wrap-a rounds with the little air vents on top. They were pretty cool!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I wear prescription sunglasses when I play but have to take them off to make a shot.  I’ve tried leaving them on during rounds but the depth perception makes the ball appear closer. The results were too many bad shots.  As a six handicapper, I’ll continue to squint and make the shot.  Sunglasses are Oakley Holbrook, grey, polarized. I love these but I wish I could find glasses to leave on all the time.

Spoiler

I wear bifocals and as a disabled veteran the VA provides them.  Have transitional anti glare, polarized grey lenses.  Have been wearing them for years.     

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

19 hours ago, greggarner said:

I'm the same. If I put them on, they have to stay on. When I was in high school, my dad taught me how to test glasses: put them on, then look at your feet. lift the glasses up. Your feet will look like they've moved as the edge of the lens passes. But some will move more than others, so you gotta figure out how your vision will be affected by taking your glasses on and off.

Glad I'm not the only one! haha That is a good test, I'll have to try that out next time I look for a pair!

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

• 1 month later...

I have a few pairs of polarized sunglasses from Shady Rays - can't beat the price, especially if you are one who breaks/loses sunglasses.  I don't wear them while swinging/putting, but have them on the rest of the time.  

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Oakley polarized shades. I rarely use them and have had them forever. Even as pricey as they are I’ve kept them for numerous years so they’ve paid for themselves 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Has anyone tried Fuse lenses? I'm considering testing a pair in my Holbrooks

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Maui Jims are really crisp.  Polarized is a must.  Rx obviously pushes cost way up but for me it's a huge plus despite the minor prescription.  

Lenses - hard no on black.  Brown is my preference for seeing everything more clearly.  

I have the frameless as they are light and the rubber nose pads keep them in place.  I also like that I barely notice the edges when looking at the ball so I don't think or notice about even wearing them.  Downside is that they are way more fragile.  

All this plus eye doctors will tell you that you risk sun damage to your eyes by not wearing any sunglasses. 

Epic Flash 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with X-stiff hzrdus yellow

Epic Flash 3W with stiff Tensei Blue.

Apex 19 3 hybrid with catalyst 6.0

Apex 19 4 hybrid with TT tour elevate stiff steel (my favorite creation) 

Apex Pro irons 5-PW with TT tour elevate stiff steel

Jaws MD5 50 S grind S200

Jaws MD5 54 W grind tour elevate stiff (great for the soft Missouri turf; this is my dart throwing club)

PM Grind 60 KBS tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2022 (Went through SAM lab fitting and this nailed it; replaced the O-Works Jailbird-mini red)

I wear progressive transitions and have always just played in my regular glasses.

This year I sprang for a pair of progressive golf glasses from REKS.  One of the guys I play with has them and likes them so I gave them a try.  So far I'm really happy with them.  I think they help me on the greens and I can definitely see the ball better in the air and on the ground in the distance.  

Titleist TS2 w/Kuro Kage Black Driver

Titleist TS2 16.5* & 21* w/Kuro Kage Black Fairways

Titleist TS2 23* w/Kuro Kage Black Hybrid

Ben Hogan Golf Edge 6i - PW irons w/Recoil shafts

Ben Hogan Golf Equalizer ll  GW

Callaway SureOut2 56* SW 

Scotty Fastback 2 or Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie F

Maui Jim Sunset polarized wrap style.  Had them for 10 years now and always use them playing golf when it’s sunny out.  Light weight, rubber nosepiece, and I almost always forget I’m wearing them.  Wore Rayban’s forever before discovering Maui Jim.  Never a problem with any optical weirdness at the edges or anything with either brand.

I have had numerous eye surgeries and direct light is very distracting. I have worn sunglasses to play golf for years....currently play a script version of Maui Jim's with blue lenses, polarized ( a must for my eye condition), and all works well for me.   I wear them on 90% of my golf rounds....

Golf Gear Head

I wear bi-focal glasses and have 3 pairs of Maui Jim prescription sunglasses. 2 pair are the World Cup frames, 1 with brown lens designed for golf and I love them, the other pair has grey lens. Wear them for every round whether the sun is bright or not. It did take me some time to get used to wearing them while playing golf but after a few rounds, it's all good now. My other 2 pair have a different lens so it's a little different, but overall I love my Maui Jim's. More than likely I'll never own a different brand now.

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65, Stiff

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood 14* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75, Stiff

Hybrids: Callaway Epic Flash #3 17* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #4 20* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #5 23* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #6 26* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 65, Regular

Irons: Ping G430, Red Dot, 7, 8, 9, W, 45.5*, 50*, ALTA CB BLACK, Regular

Wedges: Edison Forged - 55*, KBS PGI 80, Regular 2* Flat

Putter: Odyssey Toe Up #1, Ball: Vice Pro

The $60 000 question- polarized or non polarized?  Answers vary among optometrists and sun glass reps. Regardless of which type, I have that wearing any type of glasses while addressing the ball affects my ability tosse the ball in relation to its distance from my eyes. Therefore I only use my sunglasses when not attempting to hit a ball or read a green. Basically just use them to follow the flight of the ball and protect my eyes from the glare here in hotlanta. Have tried several brands and types and cannot tell any difference regardless of price. 

I play on a league that starts around 6 pm and the majority of Fairway run east and west so you get a lot of bright sun low in the sky. Very hard to track the ball so I am looking to buy sunglasses that will help looking into the sun. First question is what is best color lens for this? Is self darkening a good option?

I keep a set of Smith mountain biking sun glasses in my golf bag. 3 sets of lenses - yellow, orange, and, brown. I have a set of Oakley half jackets, too, and, a set of M frames. All 20+ years old.

I wear contacts, when, I play golf. Otherwise, it is progressive lens. As for self darkening lenses for evening golf, they will likely darken, and, not lighten up, until the sun goes down. I have seen this with my son and little league baseball. 

3 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Don't get me wrong. I love polarized, but only for non-athletic reasons. I remember running in polarized a few times and nearly falling because when surfaces switched, macadam to cement for example, the step up or down could appear far more or less severe than it was. I really don't trust them when any judgement of depth or slope is required.

Interesting! I had never heard this (and certainly not experienced it) - My understanding was that polarized only affected contrast/glare, which is then maybe affecting the way you're seeing depth? Definitely good for you to know this about yourself though and importance of testing things out

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Oakley- the only change I will make is getting them darker when I get my next pair. I used to buy cheap sunglasses that would last 6 months or so. Have had these Oakley's for 3 years now and they are going strong. Couple of comments about not being able to see the ball all the way until it stops which is true, but I like the surprise. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)