Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Light shafts problem?

I recently had a fitting at Club Champion for new irons and purchased Mizuno JPX 919 Forged irons (4-PW) with Nippon NS Pro 950 GH stiff shafts. The shaft is 98 grams.  Previously I was in stock Mizuno MP-54s with True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shafts at 130 grams.  

I'm 3 rounds and 5 range sessions in with the new clubs and I am really struggling to square the face with new irons often missing left by quite a bit.  I realize it may take some time to get used to them, but it's getting worse.  I was hitting them great at the fitting, but on the course has been a struggle.  I'm wondering if it is due to the shaft weight.  Has anyone else experienced problems moving to lightweight shafts?

I'm somewhat consoled by the fact that Club Champion has a perfect fit guarantee so I'm thinking about going back to have them take a look.  However, I'm not sure what the perfect fit guarantee means - can I get completely new shafts for free or will they give me money back if nothing is working?

Appreciate any insight people have.  

Club Champion is going to make you happy. That’s what professional fitters do. If there’s an issue with the shafts being too light, then they’ll put you into a heavier shaft. 
That said, the question still remains as to why the fitting seemed fine but reality shows otherwise. One significant factor that occurs in situations like this is the fact that you were fit indoors. Many, not all, but a high enough percentage of individuals swing differently indoors. I’ve seen it hundreds of times. That’s why I used to only fit outdoors. You have your “natural” swing in that environment AND you can actually see the ball flight. 
You sound like one that would benefit from an outdoor fitting. IMHO. 

Professional club maker/club fitter, retired

Founding member, former President, International Clubmakers Guild

You very well could be right with the indoor fitting. I'm thinking another issue could be that the whole fitting consists of full 6 irons and I do like to hit low shots, three quarter shots and such on the course. 

It's great to hear about the CC guarantee. I'm gonna give these a bit longer before reaching out to them. 

Hmmmm....

Did you do any testing with your old irons with CC?    Were the DG S300s too heavy for you?  How did everyone conclude that the 98g Nippon shafts were best for you?   

Maybe you had better feel with the heavier DG S300s. 

Congrats on the JPX 919s, great choice.  

7 minutes ago, SlowNLow said:

Hmmmm....

Did you do any testing with your old irons with CC?    Were the DG S300s too heavy for you?  How did everyone conclude that the 98g Nippon shafts were best for you?   

Maybe you had better feel with the heavier DG S300s. 

Congrats on the JPX 919s, great choice.  

Yeah, we started with my old mizzies. I prefer to hit a cut and on that day my cuts were missing left, which is my preferred miss. We tried about 8 different shafts and the 98g modus were clearly the best on that day. Dispersion was tight, but that was just on full shots. Now, having them on the course, I feel like I can lose where the clubhead is throughout the swing and it's seems like 70-80% of my shots are misses to the left, and further left than my S300s. 

I never felt like the S300s were too heavy, but then again, that's all I've ever known. This was my first fitting for irons.  

7 minutes ago, mchiller said:

Yeah, we started with my old mizzies. I prefer to hit a cut and on that day my cuts were missing left, which is my preferred miss. We tried about 8 different shafts and the 98g modus were clearly the best on that day. Dispersion was tight, but that was just on full shots. Now, having them on the course, I feel like I can lose where the clubhead is throughout the swing and it's seems like 70-80% of my shots are misses to the left, and further left than my S300s. 

I never felt like the S300s were too heavy, but then again, that's all I've ever known. This was my first fitting for irons.  

You are a lefty missing left, are you cutting too much or pushing?   My experience with lighter shafts (AP2s w/ DG S300s reshafted to w/ Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 105s) was that I lost feel and control,  hit a lot of high pushes with some slice spin too.  

Per usual, I got no data,  just an eyewitness account of a lot of high pushes with lots of spin, not a good ball into the wind.  Bucket after bucket.    And flight the ball down?  Couldn't do it.  Feel was terrible.

I just peeked on Golfworks and the Nippon 98g shaft (mid) and TT DG S300 (high) have different bend profiles, too.    

Go back to CC, bring your receipt and a big, mean dog will help.

29 minutes ago, SlowNLow said:

You are a lefty missing left, are you cutting too much or pushing?   My experience with lighter shafts (AP2s w/ DG S300s reshafted to w/ Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 105s) was that I lost feel and control,  hit a lot of high pushes with some slice spin too.  

Per usual, I got no data,  just an eyewitness account of a lot of high pushes with lots of spin, not a good ball into the wind.  Bucket after bucket.    And flight the ball down?  Couldn't do it.  Feel was terrible.

I just peeked on Golfworks and the Nippon 98g shaft (mid) and TT DG S300 (high) have different bend profiles, too.    

Go back to CC, bring your receipt and a big, mean dog will help.

Ha! That's great.  I actually had a great fitting at CC and it was obvious to the fitter and me that this was the best shaft from the testing we did.  It just hasn't translated to the course.  The other thing I thought about is that the fitting was maybe 3 to 4 weeks into when I ramped up playing for this summer - could have still been working out the winter kinks.  

I've been pushing and cutting - at the same time - disaster zone.  My 4 rounds prior to getting the new clubs were 75-78-78-72.  3 rounds since getting them are 78-81-86.

2 hours ago, mchiller said:

Ha! That's great.  I actually had a great fitting at CC and it was obvious to the fitter and me that this was the best shaft from the testing we did.  It just hasn't translated to the course.  The other thing I thought about is that the fitting was maybe 3 to 4 weeks into when I ramped up playing for this summer - could have still been working out the winter kinks.  

I've been pushing and cutting - at the same time - disaster zone.  My 4 rounds prior to getting the new clubs were 75-78-78-72.  3 rounds since getting them are 78-81-86.

75-78-78-72, that is damn good golf,  maybe play a round, or play around with the MP54s and see what happens.   

I remember demo-ing the JPX-919 Forged many moons ago and the stock shaft if I remember correctly was the Nippon NS 950 GH.   They were sweet but my wallet said no way.

Did CC custom assemble this set for you or did they have your setup in stock?

Yeah, the high push/cut is a terrible feeling, 99% of those end up in a sand trap or at the bottom of a water hazard.  Yeccch.

2 hours ago, SlowNLow said:

75-78-78-72, that is damn good golf,  maybe play a round, or play around with the MP54s and see what happens.   

I remember demo-ing the JPX-919 Forged many moons ago and the stock shaft if I remember correctly was the Nippon NS 950 GH.   They were sweet but my wallet said no way.

Did CC custom assemble this set for you or did they have your setup in stock?

Yeah, the high push/cut is a terrible feeling, 99% of those end up in a sand trap or at the bottom of a water hazard.  Yeccch.

72 was the Sheep Ranch, the new course at Bandon Dunes, too! Pretty fun day!

CC was offering free fittings and I got in on the reduced price for the JPX 919s before Mizuno stopped selling them so I got a pretty good deal on it all...as long as I can get the shafts figured out. I only asked to hit no upcharge shafts due to budget so they were built by Mizuno. CC doesn't carry any stock as far as I know. 

I'll have to do some more toying around with them and see if I can get used to em. If not, back to CC to see what else they can do!

Think I may have discovered the problem this weekend. I took video of me with my new 95gram shafted 7 iron and my old 130gram shafted 7 iron. I already have too long of a backswing. The light shafts caused my backswing to get even longer, like John Daly long, and I think this is causing inconsistent strikes. The heavier shaft is still past parallel, but not absurdly so.  

Sent an email to my fitter to setup an appointment to get rechecked.