Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shaft coming out of hosel on driver

Hello MGS Guys,

The shaft on my driver(s) seem to pullout of the hosel slightly after use.  It comes out somewhere between 1/8" to 1/4" over various periods of time (from a coupe of weeks to a year and has occurred on multiple drivers). I have used different manufacturers of epoxy but it still happens. This occurs between the ferrule and hosel or ferrule and shaft adapter.  I have been tinkering with drivers and shafts for more than 15 years.

Any advice on what the cause is?

Any advice on easy way to fix it?

All ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

image.png.174bfadf143b7721b2f508d8e9982626.png

2 minutes ago, jgolfski said:

Hello MGS Guys,

The shaft on my driver(s) seem to pullout of the hosel slightly after use.  It comes out somewhere between 1/8" to 1/4" over various periods of time (from a coupe of weeks to a year and has occurred on multiple drivers). I have used different manufacturers of epoxy but it still happens. This occurs between the ferrule and hosel or ferrule and shaft adapter.  I have been tinkering with drivers and shafts for more than 15 years.

Any advice on what the cause is?

Any advice on easy way to fix it?

All ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Do you use quick cure epoxy or the 24 hour stuff? Are you following all of the proper prep steps including tip prep, making sure old epoxy is cleaned out, etc?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

And is the head really coming out or is it just the ferrule creeping?

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

To answer the other questions:

--i have tried the quick cure epoxy as well as the 24 hr version but never used the driver in less than 48hrs.

--These have been new shaft installations so no old epoxy to deal with and yes i have prepped it according to spec. 

image.png.174bfadf143b7721b2f508d8e9982626.png

If you have a ferrule on it, try pushing it back down toward the head.  If it moves then it's not the hosel coming out, it's the ferrule creeping up.

Typically epoxy fails for only a couple of reasons, didn't prep shaft properly (abraided and cleaned), didn't mix epoxy equally or enough, or epoxy got overheated and started to break down.

I'd just start eliminating variables and see if it keeps happening.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It sounds like ferrule creep to me - it happens, particularly in hot climates, if you tend to clean your clubs in hot water, if you tend to leave clubs in a hot environment (eg in the trunk of your car). A quick fix is to gently heat the ferrule with a hair dryer or steam from a kettle and push it back down - secure it with a small dab of epoxy or even super glue and it won't give you much trouble again. Like I said - ferrule creep is quite common and not anything to worry about. If however you can twist the shaft in the adapter or hosel, then you have epoxy failure which will need immediate repair. The chances of the latter are pretty rare.

6 hours ago, jaskanski said:

It sounds like ferrule creep to me - it happens, particularly in hot climates, if you tend to clean your clubs in hot water, if you tend to leave clubs in a hot environment (eg in the trunk of your car). A quick fix is to gently heat the ferrule with a hair dryer or steam from a kettle and push it back down - secure it with a small dab of epoxy or even super glue and it won't give you much trouble again. Like I said - ferrule creep is quite common and not anything to worry about. If however you can twist the shaft in the adapter or hosel, then you have epoxy failure which will need immediate repair. The chances of the latter are pretty rare.

Yeah, sounds like ferrule creep to me too. 

If it was the clubhead, I don't think clubhead itself would creep when coming loose but still remain in place. It would likely start twisting and then come off.

Updated 07/15/2022

19 hours ago, jgolfski said:

To answer the other questions:

--i have tried the quick cure epoxy as well as the 24 hr version but never used the driver in less than 48hrs.

--These have been new shaft installations so no old epoxy to deal with and yes i have prepped it according to spec. 

Do you put a dab of epoxy on the ferrule or shaft before putting the ferrule on? It won't creep if you do that when you first install it.

Updated 07/15/2022

The only time I’ve seen driver shafts actually work their way loose is when the tip of the shaft wasn’t sanded below the paint. Epoxy doesn’t stick to slick painted and polished surfaces as well as it does porous, abraded tips!

its probably the fertile moving on you. If you can get the ferrule to move you can always use regular old superglue to hold it back in place, it works great for that.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

• 2 weeks later...