Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Check - Go usage

I actually have one somewhere. I don't use it but I've tried it. I think I might have posted about it some years ago when I was overly obsessed with golf. I guess it seemed to work as intended. I say that because it would realign to my initial mark I put on a ball when I placed it back in the device and spun it up. Does it do anything for your game? I really couldn't say but it's an interesting gadget.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have one. Mixed feelings. Will tell anyone make sure batteries are good and not weak. However, with some balls I get different reading (where the ball stops each time). I am not going to list brands as I don't know if this device is really not reliable or if the particular balls I was attempting to mark were just either perfect or had severe defects (center core issues). 

My theory was I wanted to see how far off the line the manufacturer put on the ball was from where the check go produced after spinning(where the ball stops/top). I had one brand that was real close, almost on top of where the manufacturer line was and then several (including the brand that was close) that the ball stopped at a different position each time..... So I just quit using and go by the MGS ball test and my testing on the course/putting greens. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried floating golf balls in water and epsom salt to see if the ball would fight to have one particular side float to the top (the theory is that that would mean the ball is out of balance).

What I found was that 1/24 mid range balls (Srixon q star tour and cally super hot) were actually balanced. If the check go thing works, that means, in theory, that aligning them with a check go would make a difference. How much of a difference I can’t say at all.

I tested a few urethane balls (pro v1 392 and top flite gamer tour) and they were almost all in balance, which I think means marking them w a check go wouldn’t really matter.

Unless you are playing lift clean and place, playing an out of balance ball from the fairway on your second shot with the alignment line pointing the wrong way seems like it would hurt my confidence over that shot. I’ve never been a ball snob, but the balance test I did (however scientific it actually was) has me considering spending more per dozen.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

• 11 months later...

Hello Fellow MGS's

I asked the question because for me it seems to make a difference when putting.  If i am playing in any tournament, local club or city or regional, i spin and mark each ball i use and always use these alignment marks when putting.  Also these dynamic spin alignment marks rarely align with the manufacturers alignment marks.  I only use tour grade model golf balls (Pro-V1/X; B330/Tour B; Chrome Soft/X & TP5/X).

Yes, i totally agree that the batteries must be fresh.

And as far as the effect when using the driver, i don't worry about it because i am not consistent enough to notice because so many other factors are involved.

I was just curious what others experienced

Thanks for all your comments.  Hit'em Long & Straight

image.png.174bfadf143b7721b2f508d8e9982626.png

I've never used a Check-Go.  I use the manufacturer's alignment when teeing off to ensure that I'm aimed correctly (many tee boxes point you to trouble), and I use the alignment for putting.  I have never had an issue where I felt that the alignment mark gave me a bad result.  However, if using the Check-Go provides an extra level of confidence, then it probably does make a difference for you.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 year later...

I gave my opinion about the check go on another forum, but I'll share it again. I've never put a lot of stock in the check go because in their ad they resort to animation when showing the "any ball" going off line. Show a real ball on a real green under controlled conditions staying on line when properly positioned and going off line when the balance point mark is relocated. Animation doesn't prove anything.

Taylormade M-5 driver, Callaway Epic #3, Nickent 20* hybrid, Honma T/W X #5-#11, Maltby 56*, Putter (to many to list)

I have seen these around forever and would categorize them as gimmicks. However thanks to MGS ball lab showing us the frequency, severity and effects of off-center cores, now I'm wondering if maybe there is something to this? Could it be used find off-center balls? Could it help us aline an off-center core off the tee? Has anyone seen any testing around this? 

Untitled design-3.png

2 hours ago, knothead17 said:

I have seen these around forever and would categorize them as gimmicks. However thanks to MGS ball lab showing us the frequency, severity and effects of off-center cores, now I'm wondering if maybe there is something to this? Could it be used find off-center balls? Could it help us aline an off-center core off the tee? Has anyone seen any testing around this? 

I've "floated" golf balls in a saturated epsom salt solution since forever and marked the dimple that's top/center.  I place that marked dimple up when I tee the ball and when I'm spotting the ball for a putt. 

I believe the concept works for the following reason: IF there was nothing to it then when I approach my ball after teeing off, hitting an iron shot, etc. there's a 1 in however many dimples that ball model chance the dot would be facing straight up.  I've not collected any extensive data collection over the years but I WILL say that the dot is facing straight up significantly more often than mere chance would dictate.

My personal belief?  Golf balls, regardless of price, are not perfect when it comes to how the weight is distributed.  That's not meant as a knock of any manufacturer by any means.  It's simply me trying to eliminate as many extraneous variables as I can.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Me I guess I am as old school as it comes as in I do not worry about it. Back in the day with the balata balls they would go out of round rather quickly especially for a big hitter. LOL I still have my aluminum roundness guage attached to my old Ping Staff bag. Have not used either in years. Far as aligning on putting and driving I do as I always have aligned the logo of the ball and go from there if I bother to at all. Now sometimes if I am really seriously doing putting practice use the old Ping half red half white balls to check roll etc. I guess modern wise someone could use the Srixon Divide or the new TM balls with the stripe. Hey it is whatever one chooses to do

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 3 weeks later...

Check go absolutely works for me. Fresh batteries are nice, but the real trick is to let it spin 10 seconds after the green light comes on. I have found it takes longer to get to the actual peak spin balance point. 

My unscientific thoughts are no core is perfectly centered. Some are worse than others. As we all know modern balls are getting better but there are still cores off center enough to case spin vibration, which as the balls fights to find the axis, causes air flow disturbances. This can enhance bad shots and slow the ball down faster killing distance off the tee. 

The "Pre spun" ball does not have to fight to find center and just goes. When you line it up and really center one you can tell just watching it fly. Also, slices or draws seem to be reduced. 

I think it really only helps off the tee where high spin rates are applied. The low spin rates of putting should not have any appreciable differences in effect. I mark the line all the way around the ball so that helps with putting in an unrelated way. The spin axis and the markings on the cover have zero correlation. I use ProV1x yellow for example and zero correlation. 

An interesting thought, and not one I am capable of really testing, is what effect using the opposite of the spin axis would have? I suppose more vibration equals more air friction, which would make for a shorter shot or a stronger curve to a slice or draw? 

This seems to be one to the unexplored areas for golf ball performance. Unless a ball core is perfectly centered, and everything else is perfectly round, there will be an off-balance point and an axis. Manufacturing such a ball would be too costly. They are getting very good though. Callaway has this site to thank for pushing them to make a better ball. 

Having said all this, you can just to get a golf ball and play just fine. This is for geeked out gear nerds like myself who have too much time. I believe it helps my game and that gives me confidence on the tee. 

On 9/30/2022 at 9:40 PM, pbclubdude said:

Check go absolutely works for me. Fresh batteries are nice, but the real trick is to let it spin 10 seconds after the green light comes on. I have found it takes longer to get to the actual peak spin balance point. 

My unscientific thoughts are no core is perfectly centered. Some are worse than others. As we all know modern balls are getting better but there are still cores off center enough to case spin vibration, which as the balls fights to find the axis, causes air flow disturbances. This can enhance bad shots and slow the ball down faster killing distance off the tee. 

The "Pre spun" ball does not have to fight to find center and just goes. When you line it up and really center one you can tell just watching it fly. Also, slices or draws seem to be reduced. 

I think it really only helps off the tee where high spin rates are applied. The low spin rates of putting should not have any appreciable differences in effect. I mark the line all the way around the ball so that helps with putting in an unrelated way. The spin axis and the markings on the cover have zero correlation. I use ProV1x yellow for example and zero correlation. 

An interesting thought, and not one I am capable of really testing, is what effect using the opposite of the spin axis would have? I suppose more vibration equals more air friction, which would make for a shorter shot or a stronger curve to a slice or draw? 

This seems to be one to the unexplored areas for golf ball performance. Unless a ball core is perfectly centered, and everything else is perfectly round, there will be an off-balance point and an axis. Manufacturing such a ball would be too costly. They are getting very good though. Callaway has this site to thank for pushing them to make a better ball. 

Having said all this, you can just to get a golf ball and play just fine. This is for geeked out gear nerds like myself who have too much time. I believe it helps my game and that gives me confidence on the tee. 

This is exactly what I was thinking. Have you spun and marked a ball, then placed in several different times and see if it find's the same line each time?

Untitled design-3.png

Yes I have and it returns to the same position every time. Every ball, every time. You can see the line correct itself into the horizontal position and axis of the spin. To me this is proof no ball is perfectly round. If it was, you could not repeat the process. It would always be random with a perfect round ball. The fact is they are not perfect and as such, this thing works. 

How much difference does it make? I believe it makes a difference off the tee where the line can be aligned with your shot. Does one NEED this? No. But every little thing helps imo. 

I wish MGS would do a test on this subject. It would be awesome to see the results. 

On 10/4/2022 at 4:09 PM, pbclubdude said:

How much difference does it make? I believe it makes a difference off the tee where the line can be aligned with your shot. Does one NEED this? No. But every little thing helps imo. 

I wish MGS would do a test on this subject. It would be awesome to see the results. 

This part is confusing to me because it would seem difficult to predict the ball’s Spin axis (unless you’re a tour pro or a robot). So if you’re setting up the CG in line, as soon as it’s hit, the ball  tilts generally between 0 and 15 degrees left or right, which I think would detract from whatever benefit by aligning the CG with the line you started with. 

Just my 2 cents

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

I imagine you are correct. The difference being that the ball will want to correct any adverse side spin to align with the axis, and if you can predetermine that axis line the any side spin placed at impact will a:correct faster and b: not cause the ball to curve as far. Whereas if you could not present the correct line at impact then depending on where the spin axis is when you placed it onto the tee it would fight to find that and therefore exasperate any directional mishit as opposed to having the axis aligned. 

Lol I hope that makes sense. 

On 10/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, pbclubdude said:

Yes I have and it returns to the same position every time. Every ball, every time. You can see the line correct itself into the horizontal position and axis of the spin. To me this is proof no ball is perfectly round. If it was, you could not repeat the process. It would always be random with a perfect round ball. The fact is they are not perfect and as such, this thing works. 

That's helpful info. MSG has proven just how imperfect golfballs are and how little it takes to have an effect. I think this "gimmick" might be more valuable than most have given it credit over the years. I'd love to see MGS test it as well--but then our secret will be out! haha 

Untitled design-3.png

Check Go is the best for true balanced ball. I use to do the salt water trick to find the center of gravity and the CHECK GO IS MUCH MORE RELIABLE ...  IT'S QUICKER TOO!!

Fresh batteries are a must to get the optimum rpm for centering the ball core for best performance. Also make sure  the balls are room temp. HEAT EXPANDS , COLD DOESN'T  

8 hours ago, knothead17 said:

That's helpful info. MSG has proven just how imperfect golfballs are and how little it takes to have an effect. I think this "gimmick" might be more valuable than most have given it credit over the years. I'd love to see MGS test it as well--but then our secret will be out! haha 

No one I've ever played with has heard of it. Even a couple who have said they are "gearheads".  I am playing an Autoflex with a G425, these spun ProV1x's, and between them I am in the fairway more often than not. Having said that; You still have to put a decent swing on the thing lol. Every once in a while, I misfire and that is where I believe my setup helps the most. My misses {right} are never "Into the next fairway" and usually are limited to deep into the rough. Maybe it helps, maybe not much. I intend to take every advantage I can. So it works for me. 

On 7/10/2020 at 1:49 PM, jgolfski said:

Hello MGS Guys,

Has there ever been a test of golf ball performance with and without the use of Check-Go?

--On driving accuracy?

--On putting accuracy?

thanks

there has been two tests that I know of. One was on driving accuracy and the other on how straight golf balls roll when they are spin balanced. Both tests showed a noticeable improvement in performance. Straighter ball flight off the tee and the balls rolled straighter on the greens. My personal testing shows the same thing, both off the tee and when putting. Well worth the time it takes to spin up a box of golf balls from my experience. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

So I just spun up a box of Pro V1X's {Yellow}.  I noticed that as the ball was increasing in speed and finding it's axis balance, the spin noise is louder and it vibrates. As it finds the balance it vibrates less and is quieter. Next time I see a real ball amongst the range balls I will snag it and see how it performs while spinning. Should be interesting. 

All golf balls do the same thing. Once they find their "Happy" place, they no longer move about and get nice and steady as they spin. With out the movement the spinner gets a lot quieter as well. 

Some balls are so out of balance, that they start to bounce around inside the little cage over the ball and if not for that cage they would bounce right off of the spinner. Those are NOT the balls you want to use on the course. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

6 hours ago, IONEPUTT said:

Some balls are so out of balance, that they start to bounce around inside the little cage over the ball and if not for that cage they would bounce right off of the spinner. Those are NOT the balls you want to use on the course. 

Imagine how many people are buying golf balls and then having shots go haywire that are not their fault! 

This subject just screams for a real MGS test. 

1 hour ago, pbclubdude said:

Imagine how many people are buying golf balls and then having shots go haywire that are not their fault! 

This subject just screams for a real MGS test. 

MGS basically did do this a few years back during their big ball test and noticed several going way off line and more etc via the robot testing and the results of that test lead callaway to spend millions in improving their quality control of their golf balls. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

MGS basically did do this a few years back during their big ball test and noticed several going way off line and more etc via the robot testing and the results of that test lead callaway to spend millions in improving their quality control of their golf balls. 

That was very revealing, but it was not with spun golf balls. And you are correct about Calloway. It would be fascinating measure the "Aligned" performance vs the opposite "Misaligned" performance. And on mid angles as well. Or set the robot to open face and then test the aligned ball performance vs misaligned. See what the difference is. Or it may be negligible. 

Yes I use a Check-Go device to find the golf ball true center of gravity, I know that it works when I tee off with the line pointed down the fairway and when I hit my second shot that line I put on the ball is either on top or bottom of the golf ball---a golf ball that flies straight will go further.  On putting the line will roll end over end on the green and hole more putts.

WITB:

MALTBY TS2 irons Mizuno 54* mpt11 wedge Inazone 58* wedge

MALTBY KE4 tour driver  Ray Cook putter M1X

Integra #3 fwy.  SMT #5 fwy.