zrumble

Playing better than your score?

Our Sponsors

9 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Hmmmm.... food for thought. Also an Arccos user - but that score in relation to par isn’t hidden well enough. I always know how I’m doing in relationship to my goal of breaking 80. And as always my brain gets in the way and I tighten up.  It’s only after it’s out of reach that I suddenly go on a par streak and end up with an83 or something. 

seems like I’m playing well but a double does me in. That and the obligatory bounce back bogey after every birdie...

I was a member of Yellowstone CC many years ago and the assistant pro had played on the LPGA tour for a few years (daughter of head pro).  I was desperately trying to break 80 and time after time, I'd fail.  Lots of 80-83's but I couldn't meet that goal of 79 or better.  I asked Pam what I had to do to break 80 on this course?  Her reply was a simple one.  She simply said "What are thinking about on hole #14?"   The next round I went out with the intent of not focusing on my score and shot 78.  The mind has that tendency to get in our way if we allow it.

And those darn doubles still seem to creep into my game on a regular basis.  

And yes, the dreaded ABFU.  Ya gotta love this game!

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

BTW, I've been to Greeneville, TN many times.  I have a friend that lives off the Erwin hwy on a farm and another that lives in Johnson City.  Loved Stan's BBQ.

Next time you out this way let me know and we can go play a round together.  Sad to tell you that Stan's  BBQ closed down. 

• Sad 1

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

8 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Next time you out this way let me know and we can go play a round together.  Sad to tell you that Stan's  BBQ closed down. 

I don’t know what Stan’s BBQ is, but any time I hear good BBQ get shut down it’s a tragedy. 

• Like 2

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I'm another one that pretty well knows when I'm doing well and when I'm not; I also tend to have a decent understanding of where I'm losing strokes and why. Yesterday, I missed several short putts that would have saved par or made birdie, I hit a couple of bad drives that required a recovery shot, and on one of those recovery shots I hit it poorly and had to hit a second recovery shot. Aside from that, I had two wedges that I bladed from a confident distance simply because I was playing through a group and trying to hurry out of their way. 

In relation to course management as mentioned above... One thing I've started doing to help me reduce scores is I started tracking "errors". An error simply occurs when I ignore sound strategy and better judgment - i.e. not taking into account wind or elevation when selecting a club or simply playing a risky shot when it isn't required, etc., etc..

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

10 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I'm another one that pretty well knows when I'm doing well and when I'm not; I also tend to have a decent understanding of where I'm losing strokes and why. Yesterday, I missed several short putts that would have saved par or made birdie, I hit a couple of bad drives that required a recovery shot, and on one of those recovery shots I hit it poorly and had to hit a second recovery shot. Aside from that, I had two wedges that I bladed from a confident distance simply because I was playing through a group and trying to hurry out of their way. 

In relation to course management as mentioned above... One thing I've started doing to help me reduce scores is I started tracking "errors". An error simply occurs when I ignore sound strategy and better judgment - i.e. not taking into account wind or elevation when selecting a club or simply playing a risky shot when it isn't required, etc., etc..

2nd paragraph is my downfall on ALOT of rounds. Saying “but if I just hit this 9 iron we’ll I don’t need the 8 even though there is elevation” happens all the time (better about it this year but still not as often as I need to) and the. It causes a 2-3 hole speed bump. Absolutely brutal 

• Like 2

Check out my review for the :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

16 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I like that idea, I will give it a try.

I reckon a lot of beginners could benefit from that too.

• Like 1

... Crazy game. Everyone has rounds where everything is just clicking, some more than others. But most of the time golf is a game of misses. How good your misses are on any given day goes a long way to deciding your score. Did you hit a 6 iron thin that felt like sh!t but managed to roll onto the front of the green? Or did you thin a 6 iron that rolled into the water? There really isn't any difference between puring a 6 iron to 12 feet and just barely missing the putt for par or mishitting a 6 iron, then getting up and down for par. Of course one feels much better than the other and when striping the ball it is easy to wonder why you didn't score better just like hitting it poorly but getting up and down or making a few long putts makes you winder how you scored so well. 

... I had a round this week where my swing was working so well and I was making excellent contact but for whatever reason I was missing a lot of greens. When my swing feels that good and I am dead centering the ball, that is very rare for me. But that's golf and you work with what you have on any given day. The irony is I shot 72 but felt great about playing because it was effortless, while I also shot 70 but was fighting my swing the entire round. The 72 felt like a much better round. 😳

• Like 4

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Crazy game. Everyone has rounds where everything is just clicking, some more than others. But most of the time golf is a game of misses. How good your misses are on any given day goes a long way to deciding your score. Did you hit a 6 iron thin that felt like sh!t but managed to roll onto the front of the green? Or did you thin a 6 iron that rolled into the water? There really isn't any difference between puring a 6 iron to 12 feet and just barely missing the putt for par or mishitting a 6 iron, then getting up and down for par. Of course one feels much better than the other and when striping the ball it is easy to wonder why you didn't score better just like hitting it poorly but getting up and down or making a few long putts makes you winder how you scored so well. 

... I had a round this week where my swing was working so well and I was making excellent contact but for whatever reason I was missing a lot of greens. When my swing feels that good and I am dead centering the ball, that is very rare for me. But that's golf and you work with what you have on any given day. The irony is I shot 72 but felt great about playing because it was effortless, while I also shot 70 but was fighting my swing the entire round. The 72 felt like a much better round. 😳

Been doing some reflecting and this is exactly what I’m feeling. I missed most of the greens, and typically had a downhill chip, the other day. So I “felt” like I was swinging great, but missing in bad spots. 

• Like 1

So I just couldn't stop myself from noting  my FIR, GIR and Sand saves today. I wanted to compare against last week. Same clubs, same ball. Last week,  12 FIR, 11 GIR. 1 Bird and 2 Bogeys. All around I felt I played well. Shot 72

Today I felt I played poorly but drove the ball well. 10 FIR, 9 GIR, 1 sand save. 1 bird and 3 bogeys. Shot 73

So based on the statistics I didn't play as well this morning. I thought my drive was good but after adding up the numbers, obviously not as good as last week.  My irons were a little off by being short into the greens. But in the end I was only one stroke different from my last round.

So this goes back to my earlier post in this thread. I score better than I think I did.

What a freaking fun game!   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

So I just couldn't stop myself from noting  my FIR, GIR and Sand saves today. I wanted to compare against last week. Same clubs, same ball. Last week,  12 FIR, 11 GIR. 1 Bird and 2 Bogeys. All around I felt I played well. Shot 72

Today I felt I played poorly but drove the ball well. 10 FIR, 9 GIR, 1 sand save. 1 bird and 3 bogeys. Shot 73

So based on the statistics I didn't play as well this morning. I thought my drive was good but after adding up the numbers, obviously not as good as last week.  My irons were a little off by being short into the greens. But in the end I was only one stroke different from my last round.

So this goes back to my earlier post in this thread. I score better than I think I did.

What a freaking fun game!   

Sounds like a good couple rounds in my book. Starting to compile enough rounds to be statistically relevant, and I hit 56% of fairways but 44% GIR. But I have been hitting my irons flush and just missing the green long and a bit left on average. If my short game is on fire I score well, and if not or I’m playing a course with difficult slopes around the greens I score poorly. 

• Like 1

I had one of those days today. Really hit a lot of solid golf shots, but my putting was not great! No excuse, but they just aerated our greens this past Monday and they were not rolling true and fairly slow. Shot 79, but it could have been a 75. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

I had one of those days today. Really hit a lot of solid golf shots, but my putting was not great! No excuse, but they just aerated our greens this past Monday and they were not rolling true and fairly slow. Shot 79, but it could have been a 75. 

When I find out my club is aerating, I go play somewhere else for two to three weeks. I hate aerated greens.

• Like 2

Yep, I feel your pain. On Wednesday I play the back 9 first and was 4 over (39/24 points) got to the front 9 and had an 8 (4 over) on the first, ended up 88 and 38 points. Not sure what changed other than my back did start to hurt a bit.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

The thing that gets me is OOB or lost balls.  Just yesterday actually I felt like I was hitting the ball generally well but when I messed up, I messed up big.  7 Penalty strokes (2 were OOB) killed me. Struck the ball well but pulled some, almost wish I hadn't hit some of them so well. 

• Like 1

Driver: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M3 Tensei Blue Stiff

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 (54,59) - AMT Black/Stiff

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Tracked by: :Arccos:

Played saturday ... Shot 95 but My drives and approach and putting were really good .... my wedge game awful .. I couldn't get a good shot and when I did actually got it on the green in the right direction it was short where I barely got near the pin... So I was overall Happy with how I played but the wedge realistically prob cost my 6-8 strokes .. I know one hole it cost me 3 ! insane ..  

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

The pain and agony of being a “mental midget” during a round! I try to do course management but many times to my detriment... couple of years ago I played tournament at OCN in Orlando where I shot 56 on the front 9 and 32 on the back! I was trying on the front 9 to put my ball into spots on the course that gave me the best/safest approach to playing/scoring and nothing worked. Making the turn I just didn’t care anymore and just started being aggressive for no other reason than it didn’t matter at that point (even hitting shots I had zero chance of pulling off and did)... key lesson I learned... stop trying to make something happen and just play the swing you brought that day!

• Like 2

Driver:callaway-small: Rouge Sub-Zero
3 Wood:cobra-small: F6
Hybrid:cobra-small: F6
Irons:taylormade-small: RSi1 5-AW
Wedges:callaway-small: MD3 54 & 58
Putter:taylormade-small: TP Red Collection Ardmore 2
Ball:srixon-small: Z-Star