Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

New driver??

pulledabill

Buddy a few weeks hit his buddies Callaway Epic Sub Zero. Fell in love and bought one. Normally he is 10 yards longer or so than I am, but when I played last week with him againt his new Epic, he was sufdenly 30 to 40 yards longer. 

Tonight I hit a Rogue as thats all they had. I found myself 30 yards or so longer with bettet ball flight than my 905R. 

This begs the question. Is 30 yards worth $350? I think it is and will be very soon. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

7 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

Buddy a few weeks hit his buddies Callaway Epic Sub Zero. Fell in love and bought one. Normally he is 10 yards longer or so than I am, but when I played last week with him againt his new Epic, he was sufdenly 30 to 40 yards longer. 

Tonight I hit a Rogue as thats all they had. I found myself 30 yards or so longer with bettet ball flight than my 905R. 

This begs the question. Is 30 yards worth $350? I think it is and will be very soon. 

I mean 30 yards is a lot of distance. People have paid more and less for distance, accuracy, higher flight, lower flight, etc, etc. 

Awesome you gained 30 yards with good ball flight. Is the driver also giving you straight consistent 30 yard distance improvement? That would be my concerns if I were in you shoes and about to spend that kind of money.

I have hit many a club long at a local demo days/fittings but I have only purchased the ones that I hit consistently straight with distance gains. 

1 hour ago, aerospace_ray said:

I mean 30 yards is a lot of distance. People have paid more and less for distance, accuracy, higher flight, lower flight, etc, etc. 

Awesome you gained 30 yards with good ball flight. Is the driver also giving you straight consistent 30 yard distance improvement? That would be my concerns if I were in you shoes and about to spend that kind of money.

I have hit many a club long at a local demo days/fittings but I have only purchased the ones that I hit consistently straight with distance gains. 

Ive bought nothing yet and wont without hitting multiple combis. Really I was just more impressed with the added distance and comparing. my old to newI will say Id probably gain some yardsge with a different shaft.

And yes. with the one demo i hit. it was a better driver than mine in distance, dispersion. and flight. It was actually impressive.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

That's crazy to get another 30 yards of controllable drives!  If you have the funds and it won't cause you any financial difficulty, I would say $350 is worth it (most driver's now a days run closer to $500 so that's a bargain!). 

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The 905r is what 15 years old. The technology change in that period of time is pretty big. 

you aren’t going to gain a large amount of yards with a different shaft in the 905 compared to getting a new or relatively new driver

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

12 hours ago, pulledabill said:

... Of course money is relative but if I could magically add 30 yds to my drives I would write the check for $350 without hesitation. Hell for 30 yds at my age I would write a check for $3500 LOL. Getting a new club is just a bonus. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

8 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

That's crazy to get another 30 yards of controllable drives!  If you have the funds and it won't cause you any financial difficulty, I would say $350 is worth it (most driver's now a days run closer to $500 so that's a bargain!). 

MDGolfHacker

30 yards is a guess as it's not like Im out there walking it off.  The gain is very noticeable especially since I'm hitting a driver that I really have no love for and don't even carry it on most days.  I added new wedges 3 years ago, some new Mizunos irons, a 5W that I love, so the time is right for a driver because at 53 I want to play some nice clubs for a change.  This is coming from a guy who play Ping Eye 2's for a good part of my life.

My buddy Ive been playing with has inspired me to try and keep up with him and I don't love hitting 4i to his 7i on approaches. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 7/10/2020 at 11:39 PM, pulledabill said:

I think you'll see it's clear that type of distance gain is certainly worth the money.  My question comes to play as why you think this will cost you $350?  You could easily find a gently preowned Epic Flash Sub Zero for $250 or less.  I would say hone in on the shaft that is needed for your game and try them out.  I agree that the Epic Flash SZ is definitely long, but you may lose a bit of forgiveness as an FYI.

All drivers are not created equal just because they are both Stiff Flexes.   https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/drivers/drivers-2019-epic-flash-sz.html or there is always eBay for even cheaper options.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I would have ordered one as soon as I got home if this happened to me.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

39 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I would have ordered one as soon as I got home if this happened to me.

I need to hit more to see if one goes 31 yards.  Again, 30 is an estimate.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

9 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

I need to hit more to see if one goes 31 yards.  Again, 30 is an estimate.

I would have bought it even if I perceived it to be farther LOL. Doesn't have to be 30, 31, etc. Could have been 10 and still would have bought it immediately.

If I think something is better, then chances are I will buy it. But i'm not one of the rational ones on this forum, i hang out in the Club Ho thread, because I buy too much stuff.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 7/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The 905r is what 15 years old. The technology change in that period of time is pretty big. 

you aren’t going to gain a large amount of yards with a different shaft in the 905 compared to getting a new or relatively new driver

The 905 is old enough that you could spend even less than $350 on a new-to-you driver and still get significant gains.  Here's where TrueGolfFit could really add some value - let us pick from prior years to see if we can get a bargain.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

The 905 is old enough that you could spend even less than $350 on a new-to-you driver and still get significant gains.  Here's where TrueGolfFit could really add some value - let us pick from prior years to see if we can get a bargain.

I had the 983 which the 905 was the replacement for and when I moved away from Titleist drivers for a bit and went to the r7. That seems like ages ago

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

13 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I had the 983 which the 905 was the replacement for and when I moved away from Titleist drivers for a bit and went to the r7. That seems like ages ago

I had the 983 and the r7.  I also had more hair, less girth, and fewer kids.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 7/12/2020 at 5:02 AM, juspoole said:

I think you'll see it's clear that type of distance gain is certainly worth the money.  My question comes to play as why you think this will cost you $350?  You could easily find a gently preowned Epic Flash Sub Zero for $250 or less.  I would say hone in on the shaft that is needed for your game and try them out.  I agree that the Epic Flash SZ is definitely long, but you may lose a bit of forgiveness as an FYI.

All drivers are not created equal just because they are both Stiff Flexes.   https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/drivers/drivers-2019-epic-flash-sz.html or there is always eBay for even cheaper options.

Second this - you can get one used from the prowled website for $200 with their sale right now. I have bought a bunch of stuff used from them and it is always in great condition. Their eBay site is often even cheaper and has free shipping - if you know the shaft you want, it is a great way to get a great club at a reasonable price. If you register with the preowned site, put a club in your cart and don’t check out, they usually send you a free shipping code if you wait a day or two to close the sale,

I bought a used epic flash sz with the Tensei blue 65g shaft and it goes for miles (but as juspoole says about forgiveness, it is not necessarily always in the right direction...)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2