TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lessons vs fitting

Is it better to get your irons fit for your swing first then get lessons or the other way around?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

It’s the chicken and egg part of golf and there will be people on both sides of which to do first.

Havig equipment that matches your swing make golf easier instead of trying to force your swing to match clubs. 

in my experience my specs haven’t changed after lessons and improving my swing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Like a lot of things in golf, I’d say it’s player dependent. Unless you have a major swing flaw, I’d say it doesn’t matter. In a perfect world I’d say get a lesson or two to see where you’re at and then get fit accordingly. Even better if you could get fitted by your coach! I say that having just got fitted for my irons this winter and started getting lessons a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I'm the "it depends" guy on this forum, so I'm going to try not to say that.  Instead, I'll try to throw out a few different options.

If money is not much of an object, I'd say to do both.  Establish a relationship with a teacher and let them know that you're going to get fitted for new clubs.  Work out what you're trying to accomplish with lessons and see if they recommend something in the fitting to help you where you're going.

If it's an either-or situation, then based on your handicap (I'm assuming you're asking for yourself and not a "friend") I'm assuming your current clubs let you hit reasonably functional shots.  So I'd start with lessons.

My teacher (actually, my daughter's teacher), works with me on coming into the ball a little straighter (I get ridiculously inside-to-out).  It felt completely foreign to me when we started, but nothing really changed with my specs.

Edited by HardcoreLooper
"object" not "option"

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'd say get the lessons first...if the hardware is affecting your swing, then get the hardware fitted for you.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Unless you have a really out of whack golf swing, it likely wouldn't make much difference.  Slight changes can be adjusted later (i.e. loft/lie) if needed.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I went to the fitter yesterday, need about 1 degree upright and it made a difference immediately with my fade. Also with the track man and video I basically was just rushing at the top. That wasn’t allowing my lower body to clear and that was causing the arms to start the swing. I think it started with trying to generate more speed. I’m also switching to graphite in my irons. With the OL my iron speed was at 92 mph with steel, went up to 95-97 with graphite thank you everyone for you input!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the iron shafts switched finally and the wiffle balls were flying in the back yard today! This is definitely a new feel for the club but I feel like I’m swinging easier and smoother. I’m playing Thursday so we’ll see how the switch works 🤞🏻

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 2 weeks later...

I am playing irons that are about 12 years old.  Made the decision to do Golftec this year and update equipment later.  He has switched my swing and is already talking about new equipment.  I am sure the is a sales job.  My thought was fix the Indian so he knows how to use the arrows.

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I had a fitting for driver shafts a month ago.  The fitter said we can't really optimize the shaft until you fix your swing.  I was hitting down on the ball more than I should imparting back spin.  I wish I would have went to the local PGA pro I see on occasion to look at my swing first to make sure everything is in good order.  As soon as the fitting was done, I immediately texted the Pro and asked for a lesson.  My swing is getting better.  I feel like now, I could optimize the shafts more had I gone after. 

Get the lessons first, then go for the upgraded sticks.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

8 minutes ago, Markelly82 said:

I had a fitting for driver shafts a month ago.  The fitter said we can't really optimize the shaft until you fix your swing.  I was hitting down on the ball more than I should imparting back spin.  I wish I would have went to the local PGA pro I see on occasion to look at my swing first to make sure everything is in good order.  As soon as the fitting was done, I immediately texted the Pro and asked for a lesson.  My swing is getting better.  I feel like now, I could optimize the shafts more had I gone after. 

Get the lessons first, then go for the upgraded sticks.  

I sort of understand the "can't optimize until fixing your swing", but most of us are always going to be trying to improve our swings no matter how low our handicaps are. I could see where a fitter would recommend lessons first for someone completely new to golf who can't get the ball in the air for example though. 

I would imagine you the ball pretty well given your low handicap. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Lots of people here oversell fittings. IMO lessons are usually more value added unless you’re already a single digit HI. A knowledgeable player, or a competent GG rep can put the right clubs in your hands for free, especially these days with many “stock” shaft options. The extra cost of a Club Champion fitting and custom shafts isn’t value added for most players - I know cause I just wasted $400+ on a driver shaft that’s worse for me than the OEM shaft the driver came with. The “experts” here told me it was my own fault for not contradicting Club Champion’s methodology and telling them how to do their job...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys