Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Matthew Wolff swing

Tpoole22

Hey spies!

Curious to see if anyone out there has tried out this swing? I went out today after about a month off from a rib injury and after watching a bunch of different types of swings I figured that I would give it a shot. It took a me a few holes to start to get it down but once I did I noticed that it actually felt like a very flowing swing and I wasn't getting stuck in my backswing like I was used to. On the back nine when I started to get it down I noticed that I was averaging more than 10 yards farther on each club especially the driver which I normally average 250-270, but my drives were all going 270+ and I actually had one about 310 today. Overall i didn't shoot great today, I shot 92 but with some practice I think that it could make a huge difference in my game. 

I have not tried it yet, I think I might take it to the range in the early morning when I am alone, just because I know I am going to suck at first.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Never thought I'd say this, but it looks better than Phil's putting stroke at present... back, one Mississippi, two Mississippi, swat it 😱.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Never thought I'd say this, but it looks better than Phil's putting stroke at present... back, one Mississippi, two Mississippi, swat it 😱.  

How about Bryson's putting Stroke?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I am not going to try the Matthew Wolfe swing except maybe once for a laugh on the range.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Matt Wolf’s swing is his own swing. Unless someone can get the same pressures into ground as he does it will be a disaster for that person. 

Now as far as the type of swing matt uses there’s lots of people that have used or are using the George gankas method of swing matchups. Johnny Rodriguez saw Matt’s swing and wanted to replicate it. He’s working his way up the tours, he had some kf status recently and recently has been on the McKenzie tour. Pros like DJ thanks to connection with the Gretzkeys has GG watch his swing. Paddy Harrington and Beatriz recari have or are still working with him. Sung Kang is one of his students as examples. He has lots of high ranking amateurs under him.

There’s reviews on here and other places of lessons with him or his staff as well as the online course he offers. It’s not for everyone but it’s something that people putting in the work can learn. In simple terms it’s a vertical shaft with internal shoulder rotation at the top pressure into the ground and rotation as the shaft shallows.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

9 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

How about Bryson's putting Stroke?

Yup, Bryson's looks better too.  Phil apparently likes running swing/game experiments during tournaments.  I'm half expecting him to start playing right handed tomorrow 🤪

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I've tried it to an extent.  I know he does it to mimic where he should be at impact, and I did try it on a very very small scale and it kinda worked for me. It's not something I do repetitively or in full like he does.. I'd end up pulling a muscle and lose too many balls

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Let’s see - World Class athlete spending a lifetime to build a swing , weekend warrior trying to imitate his moves on the range without professional instruction.

At times I think that I wasted 5 years of upper education - I could have been half way to being an orthopedic surgeon!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 minutes ago, revkev said:

Let’s see - World Class athlete spending a lifetime to build a swing , weekend warrior trying to imitate his moves on the range without professional instruction.

At times I think that I wasted 5 years of upper education - I could have been half way to being an orthopedic surgeon!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  And a buddy of mine who IS an orthopedic surgeon would disagree.  No other sports even comes close to client referrals - Crossfit was the surefire winner.

Driver: :callaway-small: XR Speed 9º Project X HZRDUS T800 Stiff

3W : :ping-small: G 14.5º - Tour 80 stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G25 20º - TFC-189H stiff

Irons: :ping-small: 4-UW G30 Green Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: LW G30 Black Dot

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossie II

2 hours ago, revkev said:

You could have saved the smart ass comment and not said anything at all. Obviously it's not going to be exactly like his swing and would take a lot of work to get down.

Working on having the back swing a little steep and then shallowing out in the downswing should help most golfers.  Matt is an extreme example of this.  I have recorded my swing when trying to imitate his swing and it looks pretty normal.  It is just an exaggeration to help fix my tendency to get the club behind me in the back swing and then steepening the shaft in transition. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

5 hours ago, Tpoole22 said:

You could have saved the smart ass comment and not said anything at all. Obviously it's not going to be exactly like his swing and would take a lot of work to get down.

So I will apologize for being snarky.  However I do believe I'd be remiss to not write anything. Instead I will remind that this guy has worked on that swing with the same teacher for a long time.  It's unorthodox although it has some intriguing principals that work for him.  From experience in trying to copy quirky swings in the past (as an older golfer I've seen a lot of them from tour players in my life) it is more likely to mess a person's game up than to help.  The better approach is finding a good teacher, developing a plan that utilizes your own physical attributes and working at it like that.

However, I'm also a golfer, I certainly haven't always or even often followed the wisest course of action for my game - I have all the aches and pains to prove that - so why should I expect anyone else to. 

Good luck and I hope you find some magic in your efforts.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If you are going to imitate a swing why pick probably the most unique we have seen in golf??

If you want to pick the things he does well that is fine however there are a lot better examples of this than his swing. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, revkev said:

So I will apologize for being snarky.  However I do believe I'd be remiss to not write anything. Instead I will remind that this guy has worked on that swing with the same teacher for a long time.  It's unorthodox although it has some intriguing principals that work for him.  From experience in trying to copy quirky swings in the past (as an older golfer I've seen a lot of them from tour players in my life) it is more likely to mess a person's game up than to help.  The better approach is finding a good teacher, developing a plan that utilizes your own physical attributes and working at it like that.

However, I'm also a golfer, I certainly haven't always or even often followed the wisest course of action for my game - I have all the aches and pains to prove that - so why should I expect anyone else to. 

Good luck and I hope you find some magic in your efforts.

and his coach did an interview a few years back with another coach (Travis Fulton) and said that doing what Wolff does is unique to his swing because if one doesn’t have the exact same pressures and dig the way his does they can’t duplicate his swing.

Johhny Rodriquez saw his swing and wanted to swing like that. GG worked with Johnny to have a similar swing and if you watch the two of them they are similar but different at the same time? 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I will say that I do think the emphasis on distance and athleticism in golf is likely to lead to a new era of unique swings.

We’re already starting to see that.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think it was one of the guys from Meandmygolf that recorded himself trying to do the Wolfe swing on course. Topped it into the water i believe lol.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

38 minutes ago, revkev said:

I will say that I do think the emphasis on distance and athleticism in golf is likely to lead to a new era of unique swings.

We’re already starting to see that.

I agree that parts of his swing are unique to include his impact position to start his swing, but curious what else you would consider unique about his and any other swings you think are unique on tour. 

I agree that parts of his swing are unique to include his impact position to start his swing, but curious what else you would consider unique about his and any other swings you think are unique on tour. 

You don’t see the extreme outside swing path, exaggerated foot tap as different. I’m not saying bad but very different.

Bryson’s extreme aggressiveness is certainly different - Finau’s swing is shorter than we are used to seeing. Rahm almost seems to be a throw back - reminds me of Peter Jacobsen’s.

By different I do not mean bad. Of all those differences Wolff’s seems to be the least likely to want to copy. IMO

It should be lost on us that we have a thread a few below those one about changing one’s swing and ruining their game. Making a swing change is difficult - I would think you’d want a teacher involved, no?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

37 minutes ago, revkev said:

You don’t see the extreme outside swing path, exaggerated foot tap as different. I’m not saying bad but very different.

Bryson’s extreme aggressiveness is certainly different - Finau’s swing is shorter than we are used to seeing. Rahm almost seems to be a throw back - reminds me of Peter Jacobsen’s.

By different I do not mean bad. Of all those differences Wolff’s seems to be the least likely to want to copy. IMO

It should be lost on us that we have a thread a few below those one about changing one’s swing and ruining their game. Making a swing change is difficult - I would think you’d want a teacher involved, no?

Agree the foot tap is extreme compared to what we used to see but when you look back at some of the greats they had similar, maybe not the same as Wolff but noticeable.

finau and rahm are both short and they have really good pressure shift and rotation from that short swing to get their speed. The names slip my mind but there’s some guys back in 50s we’re short like that. I want to say maybe Knudsen.

Bryson is the most aggressive ive seen. He’s on par with what you see from the long drive guys which makes sense since he’s trying to it as far as possible. What’s amazing is his ability to keep the ball on play and has only lost a few percentage points in accuracy from last year.

Wolff is kind of like an exaggeration of furyk and the hand path on takeaway is kind of like Trevino.

The style of swing for each I like. What it shows is that takeaway and back swing don’t matter and that transition and impact is where it does. that all have a vertical to shallow swing. 

like you said all different but not bad and works for them

58 minutes ago, revkev said:

I wasn't in any way trying to convince someone to change their swing to look like Matthew Wolff's. The reason for the post was just out of curiosity to see if anyone had tried his swing or something similar. What got me interested to test it out is how much power he is able to generate so much power despite not being the biggest guy around. Of course it would be tough to recreate this swing due to his unique timing and positions without a swing coach, but I was able to come up with a very similar swing and for me it puts me in a position that feels more like a baseball swing so it works. 

I wasn't in any way trying to convince someone to change their swing to look like Matthew Wolff's. The reason for the post was just out of curiosity to see if anyone had tried his swing or something similar. What got me interested to test it out is how much power he is able to generate so much power despite not being the biggest guy around. Of course it would be tough to recreate this swing due to his unique timing and positions without a swing coach, but I was able to come up with a very similar swing and for me it puts me in a position that feels more like a baseball swing so it works. 

It’s turned into a very good thread!

We obviously have our opinions and I’m not reading that anyone hates his swing. I think it’s interesting because many will sight Furyk’s swing as terrible when it’s actually not - Wolff’s is just his on steroids (and I don’t mean that I think he does PEDs - he’s just extremely athletic) :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Launch monitors make it much easier to experiment with different feels and positions to find out what works for an individual.  The best teachers are going to work like GG to identify what works best for an individual.  You're definitely going to see more variation in swings, and that's a good thing.  How cool is it to see Wolff and Morikawa play together?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Wolff's a prime example of the swing your swing ideology. Definitely the most unique swing on tour right now.

I think there's definitely some things from his movements that people can apply to their own swings but as far as an all-out copy, I don't think it would work well for most people. Key word being most. But if its just trying it for fun, why not. The kid is fun to watch and can flat out play.

It was interesting to see Peter Finch try to take his "version" or Wolff's and Bryson's swings to the course in a recent video. Was another prime example of "feel vs real." Finch is already one who takes the club outside the hands on the takeaway but most of his Wolff imitations only ended up being slight exaggerations of his usual takeaway. He picked up on that near the end of the video and adjusted to make it look closer, but he struggled more to control the ball with a Bryson swing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE