Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shaft Flex for Borderline Swing Speed

Middler

If I’m literally on the borderline between S and R shaft flex, what are the advantages to going either way? I’ve read R might give me more distance, S maybe tighter side to side dispersion. I have both shafts and they aren’t giving significantly different performance stats so far. 

Assume I’m really on the swing speed borderline, same kickpoint, tip stiffness, same shaft weight.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I know it doesn’t help much but I don’t put a lot of emphasis in swing speed to determine shaft flex.  I have an aggressive swing speed that can be as high as 113 if I really go after it but usually sits around 107 average lately and I have a 43 gram Regular flex Oban Devotion in my Proto X. I’m betting nobody would recommend that shaft in a fitting for me but it works. I’m sure there is a more optimized shaft for me numbers wise. 

As for your question, it could go the other way depending on what you need to gain distance. The stiff may lower the spin to get more distance while the Regular may get you better dispersion if you deliver the club head more consistently with it. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Stiff and regular in what shaft company?

Theres nonstandard and swing speed is 1 piece of the puzzle to finding a shaft that fits a swing. Loading of the, transition and tempo all play into it.

someone could fit into a 6.0 hzrdus shaft and have a smooth transition and tempo the the black would be the wrong shaft for them but the yellow 6.0 would work and if they may even drop to the 5.5 because the hzrdus tend to play a little stiffer or because to ei profile both shafts are bad fits and a stiff in Aldila rogue silver 110 better. 

Weight of the shaft can have an effect as well.

Ball flight numbers between shafts help tell the story of what’s working, what’s not and what direction one might go

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, Middler said:

If I’m literally on the borderline between S and R shaft flex, what are the advantages to going either way? I’ve read R might give me more distance, S maybe tighter side to side dispersion. I have both shafts and they aren’t giving significantly different performance stats so far. 

Assume I’m really on the swing speed borderline, same kickpoint, tip stiffness, same shaft weight.

If I've got the same make and model of shaft in two flexes, but currently don't notice a difference in either I'd opt for the one that will continue to work for me in the long term. In order to figure that out, I'd need to consider my current age, physical limitations, fitness level, and any plans or intentions to try and increase swing speed - either through speed training, fitness, or both.

As @RickyBobby_PR mentioned, there are many, many factors to consider, but this is my simple way of doing it. Also, I'm no expert on shafts but I do have to wonder, what shafts share the same weight, kickpoint, and tip stiffness in two different flexes (assuming they are the same make and model)? 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, Middler said:

As others have stated, lots of variables that affect this choice. You stated "I have both shafts and they aren’t giving significantly different performance stats so far". There has to be some differences albeit minor.

Which is the tighter dispersion of the two. Is the most accurate the longest and if not, how much shorter? Are you willing to give a few yards for consistency? Just several options.

With that stated, can you test somewhere and get numbers from a monitor? Can you let an instructor see you swing both? What about a club fitter/instructor that watches how your swing loads the shaft and your release? My final question, can you feel a difference between the two?

Good luck and I hope you are able to get some feedback to help you choose. 

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Stiff and regular in what shaft company?

Theres nonstandard and swing speed is 1 piece of the puzzle to finding a shaft that fits a swing. Loading of the, transition and tempo all play into it.

someone could fit into a 6.0 hzrdus shaft and have a smooth transition and tempo the the black would be the wrong shaft for them but the yellow 6.0 would work and if they may even drop to the 5.5 because the hzrdus tend to play a little stiffer or because to ei profile both shafts are bad fits and a stiff in Aldila rogue silver 110 better. 

Weight of the shaft can have an effect as well.

Ball flight numbers between shafts help tell the story of what’s working, what’s not and what direction one might go

The question was simply all else equal what shaft flex, that’s what the last sentence was meant to convey, I’m aware of all the factors you mention.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

3 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

As others have stated, lots of variables that affect this choice. You stated "I have both shafts and they aren’t giving significantly different performance stats so far". There has to be some differences albeit minor.

Which is the tighter dispersion of the two. Is the most accurate the longest and if not, how much shorter? Are you willing to give a few yards for consistency? Just several options.

With that stated, can you test somewhere and get numbers from a monitor? Can you let an instructor see you swing both? What about a club fitter/instructor that watches how your swing loads the shaft and your release? My final question, can you feel a difference between the two?

Good luck and I hope you are able to get some feedback to help you choose. 

The S shaft I have was the stock shaft, the R was fitted by Club Champion (for $400) and after many rounds there’s no significant difference in performance. Actually the R is 10 grams lighter - but I was simply asking all else equal what difference I should expect from flex alone? I would gladly sacrifice distance for tighter dispersion but I’m not seeing it so far. I could go on a monitor, but for $400 I was expecting a noticeable difference - not happening so far.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

5 hours ago, Middler said:

The question was simply all else equal what shaft flex, that’s what the last sentence was meant to convey, I’m aware of all the factors you mention.

It would be hard to say between different shaft models that have the same specs you mention because the EI is probably different.

If it’s the same shaft but one is regular and one is stiff distance wise theres not going to be much difference in my experience. The dispersion may change if one has an aggressive transition and swing as the regular flex might be too soft to handle the transition.

What shafts are you considering and what were you fit for by CC

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I was there couple of years ago, I lucked out and had a pretty experienced fitter at Edwin Watts of all places!. I was trying out the PING G-25's with a stiff shaft, being close to our anniversary, the wife said "GET THEM", so who am I to argue with such wisdom !?!?

My numbers were similar to yours, top of regular flex, bottom of stiff, he said what made sense to me, ,,,," Your more likely to have a swing speed closer to regular flex through your round than stiff, if they don't work, we will order a set with stiff shafts at no cost."

When I got the G-25's I did notice a great improvement, distance AND dispersion. Both shafts were PING  steel shafts. 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

22 hours ago, MadMex said:

My numbers were similar to yours, top of regular flex, bottom of stiff, he said what made sense to me, ,,,," Your more likely to have a swing speed closer to regular flex through your round than stiff

I agree with this. On the course I’m 2-3mph slower On average based on carry distance than my best shots after warming up on a sim, the case for dropping down makes a lot of sense.

I’m also in between Regular and Stiff for most shafts. With the speeder, stiff actually gives me a little more clubhead speed because I tend to pour a little more into it, but when I do, my dispersion gets worse. I ended up adding weight to the head (8g) to soften the stiff flex up to like a R+. The extra head weight Isn’t for everyone but I like it.

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I would think about the progression of your golf game: do you think you will be practicing and improving your swing and speed over the course of the near future? If so, I'd grab the Stiff because it's a shaft you can grow into. If not, which is obviously totally fine, I'd grab the Regular, assuming you like them both equally.

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X