Carm

2020 Midprice ball selection

Our Sponsors

Would love to get some opinions on mid price ball selection - in reviewing many internet pages the Taylormade Tour Response, Titleist Tour Soft and Srixon Q-Star Tour seem to be popular.  I handicap in the higher teens, my game not in the ball park yet to pay for premium balls of the ProV1, TP5, or Zstar and not interested in dealing with DTC balls.  Thoughts on these balls or is there a sleeper out there that I a should be looking at.  Driver 260+ yards, and need more work on my short game to improve my scores.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

TS3 Driver, TS3 4 wood, TS2 hybrid, 4-PW Mizuno JPX 919 Forged, 50/55 MP20 Wedges

Mostly Weekend Rounds.

What's your definition of mid-priced? I'm assuming around the $30 mark? I've heard some good things about your response and Q star haven't played them myself though.
Not sure why your nocking DTC balls though that price range is where they excel. How difficult is having balls arrive at your step?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

So my $.02 having played all of the options mentioned.. I'm a higher single digits around 8. driver swing speed around 112 mph. The Taylormade Tour Response is probably the best all around ball of the bunch and definitely best of class. It's a 3 piece with a pretty durable urethane cover.

Surprisingly is long off the tee, even with a softer core than the previous Project(a) but doesn't feel like a marshmallow like other softer core options. Feel and performance is as good as anything out there. I know some will scoff and roll their eyes.. or even yell "blasphemy!", but I'd go so far as to say it's just as good as a Pro-V1 or TP5.

I have 3 friends who play Pro-V, Z Star, and TP5X. And we play together a lot so we know how each ball reacts. Skill levels are equal. I play the "cheap ball" of the group but can out drive and out score any of them on any given day with the Tour Response

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 1

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:adams-small:  Tight Lies2  3 wood (14*) / UST ProForce V2 Black (S)

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Lamkin Sink Fit 

Posted (edited)

I am using the Costco Kirkland and for the money they are brilliant. I loose a little distance 1-10m depending on club, 10M being driver but happy to live with it considering the cost is $1.75 AUD ($1 USD) per ball. They also have a tendency to mark but if I get a round or 2 out of one before I loose it then that is a bonus.

Edited by Firebird
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

my definition of mid priced would be $30-$40, I never said i don't like DTC, reason being challenge with DTC is shipping in and to Canada is adding another $10 dollars minimum and with Covid who knows when it will be received.  I see you play Snell and no doubt a potential option but for me it would be the same price as buying PROV1.

TS3 Driver, TS3 4 wood, TS2 hybrid, 4-PW Mizuno JPX 919 Forged, 50/55 MP20 Wedges

Mostly Weekend Rounds.

The balls you listed are all good choices. My order of preference would be:

1) TaylorMade Tour Response 

2) Titleist Tour Soft

3) Srixon Q -Star Tour

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

Assuming current models and retail prices:

Srixon QStar Tour
Snell MTB Black/X

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Probably the Srixon Q -Star Tour or Titleist Tour Soft. Both reasonably priced and good tee to green. 

Q star is awesome. And can be found for closer to $20/ dozen quite often.

Take Dead Aim

Thanks for letting us know about the shipping thing.  I'll second the Tour Response.  It's the best major brand ball I've played at that price point.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Just food for thought.  I recently saw a video TXG posted on youtube where they compared the titleist velocity and proV1.  No noticeable difference in distance but major differences in spin characteristics, especially on shorter shots.  Most people would have guessed this.  This is the caveat.  Since high hdcp players miss more greens, they need balls that spin more where better players want balls with more spin.  So age old question of performance vs $

With that being said, I see a lot of last years srixon z-star/z-star xv on sale now for under $30.

Did you ever consider a Wilson Duo Pro?

Is just a really good ball and in my opinion under evaluated

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

Q-star is definitely good. But at that price point, I don't think anything is beating the Maxfli Tour / Tour X. 

You can get them at 2 for $50 almost every day at Dick's or Golf Galaxy. On good days you can get them at 2 for $35. And they always ship for free. 

You can check them out in the forums, or in the big ball test from last year. I've played them (the regular Tour version) now for 9 months, they do everything they should. Unless you want to pay for ProV1, Z-Star or BX(S) , you aren't going to get a "better" ball. 

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Hybrids:    :cobra-small: F7 22°

Irons:    :ping-small:  i500°

:Sub70:  639CB 30°, 36°, 42°

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 50°

:Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Bag:  image.png.c4a28378d422ec23cd8af0ec2e63b3d5.pngStitch SL1

Ball: :bridgestone-small: BXS

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Testing:

image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged Irons

Appreciate the feedback. 

Mostly Weekend Rounds.

Not sure if you will be able to source them easily, but the Inesis 900 is well worth a try if you can.  £20 doz in UK, (same price as Srixon AD333 etc.)

Any of those are great options.  Ill either play the TM, the Srixon or DTC, based on what is available at the best price.  Recently got the Q-Star on BOGO, so that's what I'm playing now.  Great topic!

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

On 7/12/2020 at 1:04 AM, Thin2win said:

Q-star is definitely good. But at that price point, I don't think anything is beating the Maxfli Tour / Tour X. 

You can get them at 2 for $50 almost every day at Dick's or Golf Galaxy. On good days you can get them at 2 for $35. And they always ship for free. 

You can check them out in the forums, or in the big ball test from last year. I've played them (the regular Tour version) now for 9 months, they do everything they should. Unless you want to pay for ProV1, Z-Star or BX(S) , you aren't going to get a "better" ball. 

I second the Maxfli Tour, it's a great ball.

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

On 7/11/2020 at 10:54 PM, Chizzle said:

Just food for thought.  I recently saw a video TXG posted on youtube where they compared the titleist velocity and proV1.  No noticeable difference in distance but major differences in spin characteristics, especially on shorter shots.  Most people would have guessed this.  This is the caveat.  Since high hdcp players miss more greens, they need balls that spin more where better players want balls with more spin.  So age old question of performance vs $

With that being said, I see a lot of last years srixon z-star/z-star xv on sale now for under $30.

Velocity does not have a urethane cover. Response and Q Star Tour do.  Apples and oranges. TXG has a video on last year’s versions of these two and the Tour soft.  Very different conclusion.

• Like 1

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star

13 hours ago, Hadi05 said:

Any of those are great options.  Ill either play the TM, the Srixon or DTC, based on what is available at the best price.  Recently got the Q-Star on BOGO, so that's what I'm playing now.  Great topic!

This.  Love BOGO

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star

@Carm There are good suggestions on here for mid-priced balls if you're in a pinch.  My recommendation if you can afford to, stock up on the premium balls when they go on sale.  If you buy enough you can get the premium balls in the $30-40 or below range. I recently took advantage of the Srixon deal around Fathers Day and was about to get 4 dozen Z Star for $80.  Titleist runs  their promotion in the offseason I believe (Thanksgiving - Easter timeframe). If you search around enough you can find the times each brands' premium ball goes on sale and easily stock up on the "top tier" balls while staying in your price range.

• Like 1

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M