2020 Midprice ball selection

19 hours ago, bacchus said:

@Carm There are good suggestions on here for mid-priced balls if you're in a pinch.  My recommendation if you can afford to, stock up on the premium balls when they go on sale.  If you buy enough you can get the premium balls in the $30-40 or below range. I recently took advantage of the Srixon deal around Fathers Day and was about to get 4 dozen Z Star for $80.  Titleist runs  their promotion in the offseason I believe (Thanksgiving - Easter timeframe). If you search around enough you can find the times each brands' premium ball goes on sale and easily stock up on the "top tier" balls while staying in your price range.

When Srixon is having their BOGO sales, I have recently been experimenting - sometimes getting Z Star and sometimes getting Q Star Tour.  Same price for the Z Star that you cite.   With BOGO, Q Star Tour is only about $3-4 a dozen less.  Keep going back and forth as to which I like better between the two balls.  Not sure.  But, I don't know of balls for $17-20 or so that I like as much as I like these.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • :titelist-small:  Pro V1 although I use Maxfli Tours during the offseason and other days when I am not playing well and don't want to lose Pro V1s.  

I tried the Q-Star Tour recently and wasnt impressed with it.  It has more spin than the regular Q-Star but it still feels like a cheap ball to me.

For me, its tough to beat the Maxfli Tour for the money.  They are a 3 or 4-piece urethane covered ball that you can often get for $25 a dozen or less.  Its basically a Pro V1 at half the price.

• Like 1

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I would also consider the Snell MTB Black/X

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: 4 - PW King Forged Tec with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 or Maxfli Tour

10 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

I would also consider the Snell MTB Black/X

I agree, I have been playing it for about a year now and love it. 

• Like 1

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Epic Speed
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X   5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag - :755178188_TourEdge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I'll give another plug for the Q Star Tour.  I can't really tell a difference amongst the various generations, so there are some Gen 1 and 2 put there for sale at dirt cheap prices.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

13 hours ago, DawgDaddy said:

I agree, I have been playing it for about a year now and love it. 

I love the Snell balls too, but the OP is in Canada, and the pricing for Snell balls there isn't as good as it is for those of us in the US.  I see at

www.snellgolfcanada.com

that the MTB balls sell at $45 Canadian dollars ($33 US) per dozen, plus shipping.  I didn't have an address available to calculate shipping on those.  An option could be the Getsum, starting at $28 Canadian per dozen, plus shipping.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've played the Q*Star Tours.  Pretty good ball for the price.  Love that it has a urethane cover. You have a lot of choices out there.  Maybe get a sleeve of each and put them into play to see what works best for your swing and game.  I normally play z*stars and took advantage of the BOGO promotion this last go around and stocked up for the year.  When you get this promos, it brings the tour balls down to $20 a dozen...

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Stars

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Playing just par 3 pitch and putt any golf ball will do ,but i got lucky ordered 3 dozen off ebay and when the parcel arrived there were a total of 70 balls in the box some big names too ..................mostly srixon   wont have to buy any for a while now 😁😄

I honestly buy the found/repurposed golf balls. I can get elite balls for the fraction of the price. At my level the mint versions are just the same as if I played a round with one of them. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!