Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Exputt putting simulator

19 hours ago, PMookie said:

Here we go with info about aiming and using the remote.

I need this on the actual golf course. I don't think I would've ever aimed 8' to the right with a 20-something degree angle to the cup, that's crazy and it's no wonder I suck!

12 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Gavinski91's EXPUTT Review Introduction

Well I’m a full week behind the rest of the testers due to a vacation I had already planned with my wife, but I think getting away from the busyness of work and life and spending some time surfing and laying on the beach was the refresh I needed to attack this test with gusto!

Since I’m new to the forums I’ll take some time here to introduce myself! My name is Gavin, and I’m from the far northwest of Washington State (literally right on the border). And although I do ski, the nickname predates that! I definitely don’t have the same amount of experience that some of the other testers have (looking at their intros, some of them have been golfing regularly for longer than I’ve been alive!) but I think I have a background that might resonate with quite a few forum members.

I first swung a golf club in the late 90s, when my dad had the local golf shop cut down his old wood-headed driver and an old putter to a length that worked for an undersized 8-year-old and took me to the local driving range and mini-golf course. However, it wasn’t until 2016, when I had finished my undergrad and graduate degrees and had a full-time job, that I started getting serious about golf. Between those times my sports focus was mainly on baseball and ice hockey, which allowed me to develop swing mechanics and strength that, although perhaps not entirely traditional, translated well to golf.

I could go into detail about my handicap (20.7), swing tempo (high), etc., but to be completely honest I don’t think that information is relevant to a putting test. If we go back to my hockey roots, hitting a driver off the tee or an iron on an approach shot is like a slapshot or wrist shot in a game situation. Putting, however, is more like the fan during the intermission trying to score from center ice into a small slot in a barrier at the goal to win a new car – the mechanics are different, and strength and form don’t matter. The only relevant thing is being able to get the shot on the correct line with sufficient power.

When it comes to putting, my biggest strength has always been being able to read the correct line. My process is usually crouching back behind the ball and imagining the full path that the ball will need to take, starting at the cup and working back to where my ball is. This allows me to determine my starting line, and if I can hit that line I can be pretty confident about having a really good chance of holing the putt. The issue for me has always been consistently hitting the starting line for my putt path of choice and having the proper speed on the putt, which for me has been 90% about feel and maybe 10% about stroke/backswing length. I typically average 3.5 three-putts per round (median of 3), and over my last 5 rounds my putts/GIR is a half stroke worse than my putts/hole, so obviously lag putting is a weakness. This is where I think the EXPUTT has the biggest opportunity to help me improve.

Other testers have already gone into detail about the packaging and unboxing, so I’ll skip that. I will say that the branding is excellent, with a few smaller touches that are really nice, like having the camera and the shock absorber share some visual elements.

267548890_visualbranding.JPG.ed369742b43243fed5ea7af29bfd7764.JPG

Disappointingly, some of the components right out of the box looked and felt cheap. The power adapter in particular looked like it was sourced from the cheapest provider available on AliBaba – the USB port was crooked, the entire unit was bulky and made of low-quality plastic, and nothing about it suggested that it belonged in the same box as a $400 putting simulator.

1343221411_poweradapter.png.729bda518f6521583f239188101fe794.png

While the manufacturing and QC on the actual unit was significantly better than the power adapter, both the camera unit and the remote felt too light to be a high-quality piece of technology. While I’m aware that consumers wrongly equate heft with quality, and that many electronics manufacturers add internal metal weights to their products (such as headphones) to give the illusion of quality, it’s hard to get past the perception that a product that is very light must be made of thin, low-quality plastics. For comparison, the remote control from my Samsung soundbar weighs twice as much as the remote from the EXPUTT, even though they are the same size and utilize the same battery. 

538277693_componentweights.png.d8924b18f76e178d8b70b1a99845c839.png

Setup of the entire system was very easy for me, although for someone with less tech savvy it may be slightly more difficult, as you may have to navigate your TVs display settings to ensure that the entire display is visible on your screen. The time from when I cut the seal on the box with my pocketknife to my first putt in practice mode was 10 minutes. The menus are all straightforward and easy to navigate, although there are a few features which are named in a way that doesn’t make their purpose obvious. In order to replicate the experience of what I would imagine is most users, I plan to not look at the user manual until the very end of the test.

I’ll leave the more in-depth software critique to @cnosil who is experienced in software testing. I will say that the menus are all straightforward and easy to navigate, although there are a few features which are named in a way that doesn’t make their purpose obvious. The main menu definitely gives the unit a dated feel – it looks like something I would’ve expected 10 years ago. The in-game practice mode screen looks much more modern though, and does a good job of including lots of information without being too intrusive in my opinion.

I’ve only had a few hours with the unit so far, but I will share a major revelation that I had in my first 30 minutes with it: if you can get your putter face to square up to your target line, it doesn’t matter what path the putter head takes to get there. In the below picture you can see that I took an exaggerated out-to-in path with my club, and tried my best to keep the face square. I managed to sink a 10-foot putt with an 11.5° out-to-in club path, and the resulting numbers show that the direction that your putt travels is 95% determined by the face angle at impact, and only 5% by the club path. As a result, I will be focusing my practice moving forward on squaring up the club face, and not worrying about club path – my early practice has shown me that as long as your face angle is less than 0.5° in either direction from the target line, you’ll sink every putt from 10 feet and in.

1544983284_impactangle.JPG.1b6fc60bb2fe191e054bf20265202710.JPG

There will be lots more to come over the next few weeks of testing, so let me know what else you would like to hear from me!

Welcome back! Hope you had a nice vacation, now... BACK TO WORK, EXPUTT SLAVE!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

@PMookie you were getting too close so I figured I would throw a new number at you!

279066035_DSCN2585(Small).JPG.e3a05c145c4ec7a4c5d8a3b9bb8ae830.JPG

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

What? “Master”? I’m only 6 points behind... Awe, “You done it now!”

”What am I, chopped liver?!”

Hah! Dude I love you man! 🤚(virtual hi five)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

From what I heard, the reason they didn’t include this is twofold: 

1. It makes it like a video game

2. Why give the line when there isn’t a line on a course?

The basic reason for Exputt is to help improve on-course performance. If they give the user the line, there really isn’t any skill development, and then it’s just back to rolling “straight putts” in essence. I understand how when we see on tv the “total possible” break accounted for that allows for more or less speed along the line, but with Exputt there is still some need for the user to establish the line properly, not just be given it. In that sense, it would be more like a video game, not a “simulator”....

I hear ya .. literally .. but give the user an option to display this overlay or not.

Either way -- you still have to make the putt!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is really important and answers a question I was going to ask - whether the simulated lag putt is accurate with on course performance.

For me - yes!! Especially on longer lag putts where I've always struggled.

And I haven't even used it all that much yet!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

As for on course evaluation I have been stepping off distances ...

Same here! Even tho people look at me funny when I do that .. I tell them I'm evaluating a putting training aid for an online form and then they're like 'whoa dude totally cool' 🤪

But seriously I'm trying to do the same calibration to match the putt length. 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

12 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Same here! Even tho people look at me funny when I do that .. I tell them I'm evaluating a putting training aid for an online form and then they're like 'whoa dude totally cool' 🤪

But seriously I'm trying to do the same calibration to match the putt length. 👍

It is two fold for me.   I am doing it to help determine stroke length and my golf instructor wants to know first putt distances.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

@PMookie you were getting too close so I figured I would throw a new number at you!

279066035_DSCN2585(Small).JPG.e3a05c145c4ec7a4c5d8a3b9bb8ae830.JPG

Hmm. That looks like an image that was submitted on Instagram. Hasn’t been validated, so it doesn’t count at this point! How did you do the settings to get all putts within 5 feet?????

😂😂😂

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 7/29/2020 at 12:09 PM, PMookie said:

What? “Master”? I’m only 6 points behind... Awe, “You done it now!”

”What am I, chopped liver?!”

After that 282, I'd say you're chopped liver and now late for dinner. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Hmm. That looks like an image that was submitted on Instagram. Hasn’t been validated, so it doesn’t count at this point! How did you do the settings to get all putts within 5 feet?????

😂😂😂

It is all about speed control.    I tried FALL and it is definitely harder.  More slopes and longer putts;  if the speed is off a little the ball will not be close to the hole.  I've hit 230 but it is really tough. 

OK, digging into Challenge mode and...

* EDIT: I deleted some text from earlier 'cuz I'm an idiot .. sorta .. your actual golf ball must be in the mat's "ready" zone and THEN the ability to move the on-screen grid .. ie. aim left or right of the hole .. and hints become available... 

There are two ways to aim your putt to play the simulated breaks - 1. turn your ball on the mat and putt at an angle .. vs straight ahead as in Practice mode; or 2. use the handheld remote, or your putterhead as a remote .. but only when this feature is active and available, to move what is the "straight ahead" putt to the left or the right of the cup.

Plus... thanks to @cnosil and his many questions to Mo at ExPutt we were sent an email attachment, as a PDF, of pretty useful info that is not a part of the user manual -- this aiming diagram...

Screenshot_20200730-142205_Drive.jpg.3a69f1bda19e3da7184a6c4f9f5dd3f8.jpg

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I was doing some more "testing" (read: putting practice) last night and was really struggling to keep my face angle close to zero (my goal is to never have a face angle greater than 1° in either direction). So I'll have to see if I can figure out what the issue was there - was it a lighting issue with the system struggling to accurately read the face angle, or is my putting getting worse with too much practice time?

And since I'm never happy unless I can "fix" the problem, I'm going out now to buy a new putter grip. Maybe that will solve all my problems!

Either way, the EXPUTT system will give me an easy way to determine if the new grip gives me any improvement. More updates to come!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

Challenge mode is definitely a .. ha ha .. challenge! First pass thru I did not use the on-screen "Hint ?" and was generally waaaay under-reading most breaks...

So my initial score was like HALF that of the ExPutt Masters!

Briefly... As a player, it is an engaging and dare I say satisfying practice experience; but .. as a tester, I'll have lots to say about what I think can be done a little differently with the on-screen presentation (more on all that later).

Next pass thru I'm gonna start with setting the aim as per the "Hint ?" and then focus on speed to what I think is the apex of the putt. Fingers crossed 😄

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Boom!!! Beat THAT!!! 331!

37A67DCC-3DE8-4612-B220-0DBB694719D4.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Need to do some more testing over the weekend to confirm, but I think I discovered a possible issue with the system (technically a user error, but the user would never know).

Since the mat is made of a slightly stretchy, neoprene-type material, it is possible to set up the mat so it is curved, which would confuse the software. I had a few shots last night that according to the markings on the mat were hit just right of the target, but the simulator measured as going left of the cup. I'm going to do some testing with the mat intentionally curved in one direction, then the other, then with it aligned with a straight-edge, to see how much of an impact that has.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS