TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Exputt putting simulator

Challenge Mode

The next mode available in the ExPutt system is Challenge mode.  We have moved on from the straight putts in practice mode to being placed on a green with various slopes.  Since the last mode was straight putts, my expectation is that we add green reading skills during in Challenge mode.

In challenge mode you putt from 3 locations on 9 different greens and are scored based on your performance.  Scoring works as follows:

• From each location you 3 attempts to get putts inside of 3 feet.
  • If your first putt from the location is within 3’ you score 10 points, your second attempt gets you 5, your third 2 points, and if you don’t succeed you get 0.
  • If you make the putt you get a bonus of 3 points. 

From the main menu select challenge and then set the desired options.  As shown in the video below you can essentially set the green speed and the difficulty level.

Once you are in the challenge mode, the system places you at a location on the green and provides you with a topographic map of the green with colors representing heights (in inches), the putts distance, height of the hole relative to your location, and an overlay that indicates the slope of the green. 

Once the information is displayed on the screen you can get a hint that indicates how far right or left the putt will break and ball speed required.   You have the option to “crouch” down and see the putt at a lower level and adjust your perspective right/left to essentially make the putt straight (note, in the more difficult modes, you cannot always get the break to be 0.)

To add another level of difficulty, don’t display the hint and attempt to determine break and speed based on what you are seeing.   This is where the markings on the mat become more helpful.   You can move the ball left or right in the setup area to account for breaks in the 9-10’ range. 

588179843_DSCN2587(Small).png.4ef8de67e8e69b4217471905c8a9b7eb.png

After watching the second video, I noticed that my TV wasn’t that clear so hear are a couple of other videos showing Spring vs. Fall and how the greens are a bit more difficult.

Spring:

Fall:

Scoring is shown after completing each green and then at the end.

279066035_DSCN2585(Small).JPG.e3a05c145c4ec7a4c5d8a3b9bb8ae830.JPG

Thoughts:

• If just setting yourself to straight putts, there really isn’t a “challenge” and it becomes essentially a scored practice mode.  Other than having a score, practice mode is essentially the same.  Practice mode provides ratings and the ability to do analysis so there is a “scoring”/evaluation metric to measure improvement.  When I was setting everything to a straight putt and looking at the hint, I just made the stroke length that achieved recommended ball speed.   For me my chart was:

Length

Approximate Ball Speed

• Once I had the chart,  I could look at the hint and just adjust my feel/stroke length to meet the desired speed.   
  • Am I really reading a green, while I think uphill and downhill, I really have no reference for inches above or below me?  
  • Operating in 2D space doesn’t give me true depth perspective…a 20’ putt doesn’t really look like a 20’ putt.
  • Still can’t conclude if this is helping me read putts on the green.  Still need more evaluation of this on an actual green.  Perhaps if I used a topographical based green book that showed slopes.  Doesn't really work for aimpoint (that I can tell) due to the depth perception issue and that I don't know % of slope.  
  • After the scoring for a location is complete it would be nice to see your numbers vs.  the “hint” numbers.  This could help you learn if the problem is line or speed.
  • The hint doesn’t mean exact; I often found that slower speeds still got to the green and were holed. As we know there are multiple speed/line combinations that can hole a putt.      
  • Locations on the hole are random so just because 2 people are comparing scores, doesn’t mean that they had the same putts.
  • If you are a competitive type person, Challenge mode will provide you with the opportunity to try and beat your best score.  While the system doesn’t retain the scores,  it shouldn’t be too hard to remember.

Current thought on challenge mode is that unless I can figure out how to transfer green reading to the actual course,  I will primarily stay with practice mode to focus on distance control and use challenge mode just for a change of pace.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

OK broke 200 .. but just barely...

20200802_154139.jpg.496ad256ade3f4e080bf611e643b91f0.jpg

Started out ok, then faded a little on holes 4 to 7, then finished well - kinda like one of my real golf rounds 😄

Not sure I'll get time this evening to make another attempt, so this will have to be my (semi adequate) entry.

Note these Challenge scores are out of a theoretical max of 351 (9 holes x 3 positions on each hole x (10+3) points if you can hole every 1st putt).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Best I managed to do was a 249. Those 8 made putts ended up representing 10% of my score.

IMG_2146.JPG.638f5cc82415ac00f2c48d45dd431859.JPG

Here's a picture showing the amount of curve that the mat can get - the result is about 1" of curve over the full length (represented by 1/2" at the halfway point). Unfortunately I wasn't able to putt consistently enough to determine if it had an impact, but I'd imagine that it would.

IMG_2155.JPG.1004e676c39fb9d00e178136cc707a81.JPG

I also tried to find the limit of what the sensor can pick up. I couldn't get it to track any shots harder than 18 mph (it just wouldn't register). This was the longest putt I managed to record. Shows just how crazy that 139' putt that Michael Phelps holed was!

IMG_2156.JPG.9e98e7ce7aa90a19eb787b4e8739e825.JPG

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

The mat's rubber backing may tend to conform to what its on top of .. so if the carpet is not smooth it's possible there may be some small bumps and dips that the rubber can't smooth out..?

I have not tried it yet, but I was thinking of putting a piece of plywood under mine.

OTOH .. small irregularities could make the putting more realistic 😉😄

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

45 minutes ago, hüskerdouken1423 said:

Does the surface under the putting mat matter? I just bought one of these the other day and my basement has thicker carpet that I was going to place this on.

To some extent it does.  Wood or low pile carpet are best.   I don't have anything really thick in my home so I can't test on that type of surface.  I would say as long as the mat doesn't move/flex when you place your putter on the surface you will be okay since you don't actually stand on the surface.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My final thoughts on challenge mode: I suspect this will be the least-used mode for me moving forward. Reading a green on a 2-dimensional screen is very difficult to do, and doesn't translate well to green reading on the course.

I think the largest benefit will be in being able to compare putt speeds up and down hill at any given green speed to a flat putt. Over the next week I plan to put together a chart that tracks ball speeds vs putt distance on different green speeds - once I have that I'll be able to see that, say for theoretical example, a 20' putt that goes downhill by 6" will play like a 16' putt on flat ground, and be able to adjust my putting stroke as necessary.

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

Thanks for the great job on the Challenge Mode guys.   If I kept track correctly this is the final order of finish.

CNosil  287

Gavinski 249

Pmooke 231

CkSurfDude 206

CG2         149 (however I didn't use the CHEAT Feature)  I read all the breaks myself...for whatever that is worth.   Actually it's Hint feature, but my fourth place finish justified me taking liberties with it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

And CNosil celebrated with his best Phil Mickelson impersonation.

image.png

29 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks for the great job on the Challenge Mode guys.   If I kept track correctly this is the final order of finish.

CNosil  287

Gavinski 249

Pmooke 231

CG2         149 (however I didn't use the CHEAT Feature)  I read all the breaks myself...for whatever that is worth.   Actually it's Hint feature, but my fourth place finish justified me taking liberties with it. 

You missed my 206 (..sad face emoji..)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

24 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

You missed my 206 (..sad face emoji..)

Great, now I'm even further down the list...ha

Sorry about that, I did miss it when I was scrolling through. 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

CNosil  287

Gavinski 249

Pmooke 231

CkSurfDude 206

Um, I had THREE thirty one.... The picture CLEARLY shows this...

image.png

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Even though it's been "Challenge Week" I'm catching up on my "Practice Mode" review....

EXPUTT REAL-TIME PUTTING SIMULATOR
MGS Official Forum Member Review – by cksurfdude
July-August, 2020                                               

=====================
PRACTICE MODE REVIEW
=====================

In Brief…
ExPutt Practice Mode provides an excellent way to roll straight* putts from 5 to 50 feet on flat, level greens with speed options from 6 to 13 (measured in feet). Various stats and graphs are displayed to monitor your putting stroke and putting consistency versus target distances; a putting “Analysis” can be performed and data can be saved to see progress over time.

I found the ball to roll well on the mat – ie. smoothly and in line with the start line you impart to it – then the on-screen virtual ball appears to roll true to that line, along with the speed imparted at impact to give you a pretty realistic simulation of each putt’s direction and distance. A nice touch is the hole capture also appears very realistic – eg. die into the cup (or hang on the edge!), hit the back of the cup, fall in from the side or even bounce over the top if the line was right but the speed was too firm.

1092664389_ExPutt-Practice-screenshot1.jpg.8ffeeee37a33fc9e8de3fd82f50ed034.jpg
-- screen appears a bit busy at first .. video commentary below.

The Practice and Practice Summary screens, plus the separate “Analysis” on-screen report, provide a lot of information, but … in my opinion several interface changes, plus some usability re-engineering, could make these data presentations even better and make the user navigation much simpler overall.

119902003_ExPutt-PracticeSummaryscreenshot.jpg.f073d39860dccfe8a4bfe17ea951ad73.jpg
-- this screen appears to me surprisingly uncluttered .. video commentary below.

*sloped greens are available in Challenge and Play modes

Rolling 5 footers...

First view - on the mat...

..next view - on screen...

My current putting practice…
..is most frequently in the basement using an 8’ 8” putting mat with two different surfaces lengthwise(presumably meant to simulate two green speeds?); on what I think is the faster side there’s a smaller 2 ½” hole, the other is 3 ¾”. There’s a ramp up at the hole end to enable a gravity feed ball return; another presumption is the design is meant to encourage you to hit each putt firmly enough to get the ball up the ramp to the hole.

145463991_currentputtpracticesetup.jpg.844b0206a3a0c8e50cd1439f7ddcf907.jpg

On the (faster?) smaller hole side (further from the camera) I can practice putts varying from 4 out to 8 feet; for example, I can do ladder drills of either increasing or decreasing length.

On the other (slower?) side I’ve added a PuttOut pressure trainer and mirror; here I’ve set up two different 3-foot putts – the mirror is set up closer to the hole so the ramp simulates slower greens (or uphill, I guess); the mirror of course helps me monitor my stance and stroke. The PuttOut trainer is at the other (flat) end and simulates faster putts (or downhill, maybe) .. as the “capture” of the target hole requires a slower speed than what is needed for the up-the-ramp putt.

So I can conveniently practice a few different putts in one place.

EXCEPT ... I cannot practice long lag putts – which have been a weak spot in my game, nor putts across various breaks.

Accessing ExPutt’s Practice mode and selecting options…
Getting into Practice mode is just a single click from the Main start-up screen; while in Practice mode rolling putts you can click “Menu” on the remote and change an option – such as green speed or max putt length – though several arrow presses and “OK” clicks are required – and then go back and continue practicing. So this is one user interface area that can be cleaned up and simplified.

* If a new user were to just click “OK” from the Main start-up screen to go right into Practice Mode they’d be using all the…

Main Settings initial defaults, which include…

• BGM (aka background music, so this could use a new label) = On
    • I set mine Off.
    • Note that the Practice green has its own sounds, which you can mute using the remote.
  • Auto Power off = On
    • Does not tell you the value until timeout, which is 30 minutes and only shown on the last page .. #32 .. of the user manual. No other time values available.
  • Hole Cup Diameter = 4.25”
    • Most golfers will recognize this as a regulation size cup.
    • Only other option is 5.90” (approx +1/3rd larger) – which might be fun for young kids and beginners – but the new user wouldn’t know this if they didn’t go through the user manual or go into the Main Settings.
    • I’d like to see a smaller hole option added; ex. 2.6” (approx -1/3rd smaller).
  • Distance Unit = Feet
    • I suspect this is the default for US customers?
    • Can select Yards or Meters.
  • Dexterity = Right-handed.
    • I guess if you’re lefty you’d be forced to go exploring for how to change this.

And, within Practice Mode, if that new user just started rolling putts they’d also be using all the…

Practice Settings initial defaults, which include…

• Green Speed = 9
    • Can select from 6 to 13, measured in feet, in 1 foot increments
    • FYI – 10 feels faster to me vs many of the munis I typically play on .. 9 feels closer to those muni greens.
  • Practice Green = City
    • Changing this only changes the background scenery; the practice green itself is always flat and level.
    • I selected “Cherry Blossom” .. sounded pleasant and looks like you’re at a fancy country club 😉
  • Distance mode = Random
    • This is the most useful of three options, imho; so in this case the new user lucked out.
    • Other options are Fixed or Increasing (more on these below).
  • Max Distance = 50 ft
    • With Random mode and 50 ft selected each new putt varies between 5 to 50 feet; each successive putt will be either shorter or longer than the one just putted.
    • Options are set at – 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 (so nothing shorter than 5 and nothing like, say, 35).
    • FYI – I didn’t actually count it but there seem to be a larger number of putt lengths in the teens and twenties lengths .. which makes sense and provides practice correlating with many golfers’ actual on-course experience.                                                                            

Note 1: To change either hole size or right-/left-handed you have to exit Practice mode back to the Main start screen and then go into the main program Settings.

Note 1a: this may become listed as a problem when we get to “Play” mode (TBD) – suppose, for example, you have a right-handed parent who wants the regulation cup while playing with a left-handed kid who wants the larger-sized cup..?

And,
Note 2: The system does remember all your selections both in the Main Settings and in the Practice Settings from your prior session.

Some things I hope to improve using ExPutt…
Following-up on bullet points I’d listed in my “Intro” post earlier in this thread, along with some feedback on things I see in the software –

• Distance Control was my #1 item.
  • Yes! Absolutely!
    • This is the core of Practice Mode.
    • Varying distances in Random length option provide really really great practice.
    • Ability to work on longer putts up to 50 ft (which even with a good outdoor practice area are not easily practiced).
  • Pluses:
    • Long lag putts have already improved!
      • Last 18-hole round, as of this writing, I had 14 first putts > 10 feet (average of 25 ft) and the average leave from the hole was 2.6 feet (many were much closer!)
        • 6 of those putts were 25 ft and longer with an average leave of 4.4 ft (so avg was skewed up by the two longest putts from 40 and 50 where I had much longer leaves … and I 3-putted both…)
    • Green Speed options
      • Can select a faster or slower speed and keep practicing.
    • Fixed and Random distance mode options
      • Random is where I’ve spent the most time; to me it’s the most meaningful and productive practice option.
      • That said I will be spending some time going forward in Fixed mode at the longer available distances – 30, 40 and 50 feet.
    • Hit Map dispersion
      • This scatterplot on the left of the Practice screen updates with each putt so you have an on-going view of the endpoints of all of your putts versus the hole (..which could be shown on-screen a little more vividly).
    • and … you can keep rolling putts and don’t have to keep walking around retrieving golf balls! 😉
  • Minuses:
    • Max Distance –
      • No putts shorter than 5 feet are available anywhere in the sim.
        • You could intentionally hit shorter putts knowing they’d all be short of the 5 foot target hole.
        • Also note you can, if you wanted to, hit longer putts but eventually you will run out of green (not sure where that limit is, though).
    • Random mode –
      • Option here for max distance of 5 feet makes no sense .. you’re doing the exact same thing as Fixed at 5 feet.
        • In other words you cannot practice 1-2-3-4-5 footers randomly.
      • But note that Random at longer Max distances does give you a nice variety of odd-numbered length putts between 5 to the currently selected Max.
    • Increasing mode –
      • Very limited, IMO.
        • eg. select “20” and you get THREE putts … at 5 – 10 – 20 feet … then that small cycle repeats.
        • select “30” and you get four putts of 5 – 10 – 20 – 30
        • Only marginally useful practice, imho.
      • Really needs to be extended to include at least every 5 feet, or maybe every 2 or 3 feet, from Min to Max.
      • And – why is there no “Decreasing” mode?
        …OR , better yet – combine Increasing and Decreasing into a new single practice type called “Ladder Drill” and offer options of “Increasing” / “Decreasing” / “Both”.
    • Hit Map dispersion –
      • I’d like to see a number for “Average Distance From Hole”, over all putts, overlaid on this plot (eg. a bright yellow or maybe black star, to clearly differentiate from the putt data points).
      • Would also be nice to show the number here for the current “Dev”, or Standard Deviation, of all of your misses (your goal is a value close to zero).
        • Side Note: Standard Deviation is roughly defined as the variability of a set of values around their mean, where mean is basically a moving average.
    • “Analysis” and Distance Avg –
      • To get to this you have to…
        .. click “Menu” on the remote
        .. arrow down then left to get to “Analysis”
        .. click “OK”
        .. then ..
        .. roll 30 putts indicated only by a countdown number at the lower-left
        .. then ..
        .. click “OK” to view the Analysis results…
      • I understand you need a minimum number of data points to derive meaningful stats, buuuut

* ..it’s not clear to me why these stats don’t just display right on the main Practice screen??
        (even after you’ve hit at least 30 putts if that’s a hard requirement)

* Then they can be continually updated just like all other displayed stats.

• Another note on Std Dev – the value is based around your Distance Average, and not from the hole.

• Also… I find the small white countdown number overlaid on the lower-left of the practice green to be a decidedly underwhelming method of informing the user what they’re doing program-wise.
    • It’s also a sudden change from the Putt Counter at the top-left of the screen.

• Green Reading.
  • Not applicable in Practice mode; TBD in Challenge and Play modes.
  • * Future Enhancement I’d like to see –
    • Would be nice to have a new practice setting option that allows the user to “tilt” the green from 1 – (10??) degrees so they’re putting either …
      • downhill, uphill, sidehill with uphill to your right, sidehill with uphill to your left.
    • And then.. it would be nice to be able to select an “Around The Clock” drill .. with options on starting and increment distances, eg. 3 ft then every 1 or 2 or 3 ft, so the virtual you can move around the hole and putt different breaks!

• Starting Line.
    • Yes! Absolutely!
      • The Practice screen displays “Launch Direction” after every putt – along with the “Putter Path” and “Impact Angle” of the face – plus the Avg value of each for the current session.
  • Pluses:
    • As your putt rolls to the hole there is a faint highlighted line on the screen going straight towards the hole, so you can monitor your ball’s progress along that virtual line.
  • Minuses:
    • No aim spot right in front of the ball.
      • If you’re someone like me who likes to pick a spot right in front of the ball on your aim line and then roll the ball over that spot … it’s going to take a little while to get used to rolling putts on the ExPutt.
        • I’ve found myself glancing up .. at contact .. to look at the lighter colored aiming points on the mat that are 0.5 meter and 2 feet in front of the ball…..
        • There are aiming spots at 1 foot in front but they are flat black .. on a flat black background .. so not easy to pick out for these old tired eyes.
      • I asked our contact at ExPutt if I could mark a spot on the mat but he said that would most likely interfere with the camera’s ability to clearly pick up the ball as it moves (so not, emphasized, recommended).

• Other Stroke Mechanics.
    In my Intro I’d mentioned tempo plus stroke length and speed as things I’d like to see and work on … unfortunately these data points are not available in ExPutt…

• Tempo – not sure this even could be measured from looking at the putterhead moving (as the ExPutt camera does)..??
      • Tempo .. as you read and hear everywhere .. is a key to good putting.
      • Your putt tempo should be pretty constant over all length putts (eg. around 2:1) – so this could be very useful info.
    • Stroke length – possibly this could be measured..??
      • I think for each putt distance bracket, eg. every 5 feet maybe, this could be helpful information (how consistent is your physical stroke from, say, 10-15 feet?).
      • The system does provide Ball Speed on every putt, buuut .. considering that ball speed is the result of stroke length plus effort imparted to the ball at contact, I’d like to see this input.
      • Then I could start to correlate stroke length to length of putt (while .. in theory .. keeping force at impact somewhat constant).

FYI, here’s a screenshot (smartphone app) of everything that a Blast Motion Golf sensor picks up on each putt…

1843567755_BlastMotionGolfscreenshot.jpg.e901cae03f683436c7b9d3fd72d2cd54.jpg

..and you can touch any metric to drill-down to more detail...

89094371_BlastMotionGolf-detailview.jpg.f74894b08672df071913a5b3bc515009.jpg

• “Feel” putting.
    Not sure how to best describe this in an overwhelmingly mechanically-oriented stats-driven simulation, but…
  • Pluses:
    • Target Distance – the on-screen view does try to provide a distance perspective for each putt; eg. on a 5 foot putt the hole appears much “closer” vs on longer 20, 30, 40, 50 foot putts.
      • Note on the longer putts the grid lines on the green appear to start to converge in the distance.
  • Minuses:
    • Ball Speed – other users seem to have found utility in this number, but unfortunately I have not…
      • Since ball speed is the result of (a) stroke length .. which possibly can be measured and displayed, plus (b) effort imparted to the ball at impact .. which probably cannot be measured…
      • I’d like to see Stroke Length displayed on the screen so that I can build a reference of stroke length to putt length (assuming haha I can impart a reasonably consistent impact force).
        • It seems much more straightforward to me to try to calibrate my stroke length to distance vs a ball speed…

..more to come when we get into "Challenge" and "Play" modes.

Feedback on the Practice screen display…
Earlier in this post I’d mentioned a number of items I see on the screen that maybe could be presented a little differently. In addition, requiring a separate path in to activate the “Analysis” function is a weak spot in the overall user navigation.

* A major data point I’d like to see in the stats column but completely missing is “Distance From Hole” .. or, the “leave” on your misses .. for each putt, plus an ongoing Average for all putts during that practice session. Yes.. the scatterplot “Hit Map” gives a overall visual but it does not show a “centroid”, or central tendency point.

The following is a “tour” of the screen with me talking about the things I feel might be changed or enhanced …

And…

Practice Summary display…
..seems to me sadly short of meaningful stats for each distance bracket. You get the scatterplot of putt dispersion broken out for each distance category .. except here I was only rolling 5 to 10 footers in my initial test (also note “0 – 10” needs to be re-labeled to “5 – 10”!) .. and then just TWO stats from all the data that was collected…

“Distance Deviation” does not say exactly what it means to the user / golfer. Mentioned above but I’m gonna mention it again…

• Standard Deviation is roughly defined as the variability of a set of values around their mean, where mean is basically a moving average.

…and there’s nothing on-screen that indicates what your mean distance from the hole was…....

“Direction” as a label is also potentially confusing as on the Practice screen you were shown.. putter path, impact angle plus launch direction (three directionally-oriented stats). So we just “..have to know” that it’s the “Average Launch Direction”.

* What I’d like to see / was hoping to see...
..is an optional data display along these lines – please note this is just random data I put into a sheet so I could create an example chart – that details your makes, misses and average leave within each distance bracket…

1112409944_ExPutt-examplePracticeSummaryhistogramchart.png.54dee93d446637182f58c298907bf590.png

That highlighted number at the lower-right of the data table .. 2.55 .. which I did not overlay onto the chart .. represents the total average leave over all putts (from the current practice session). So in this hypothetical I had a bunch of leaves inside that magic 3-foot circle, but then several waaaay outside, and on average the second putt was from about 2 1/2 feet.

A few other comments…
The virtual camera follows your ball rolling along in an overhead limited view – you cannot watch the entire path of your putt, which I would find helpful and should be a user-selectable option for “Camera View” allowing, say, “First Person”, “Follow” or “Behind the Hole”.

The “back” button on the remote does nothing – I thought it might take you out to the Main screen; instead you need to press “Menu” and then arrow down a few times to get to “Finish” then click “OK” (or of course you could just power off).

And now this is just nit-picking, but .. the sound of a simulated struck putt from the simulation .. which comes just a tad after your actual putt .. seems unnecessary and does not add any value to the goal of improving your putting. You can mute this from the remote; note that will also mute the “Ready” voice prompt and the fun cowbell ringing when you sink one.

Bottom Line…
ExPutt provides a golfer an excellent and convenient way to practice distance control from 5 to 50 feet on a flat, level green with optional green speeds from 6 to 13 anytime right in their own home. The realistic enough simulation, plus displayed stats and graphs, provide a lot of meaningful feedback to help anyone improve.

Is it better than the old, standard mat? Yes!!!

However there are some enhancements and changes that, in my opinion, could be done to the software and interface … and hopefully future versions will incorporate some of the MGS testers’ comments to make the overall product and users’ experience even better.

---

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Even though it's been "Challenge Week" I'm catching up on my "Practice Mode" review....

EXPUTT REAL-TIME PUTTING SIMULATOR
MGS Official Forum Member Review – by cksurfdude
July-August, 2020                                               

=====================
PRACTICE MODE REVIEW
=====================

In Brief…
ExPutt Practice Mode provides an excellent way to roll straight* putts from 5 to 50 feet on flat, level greens with speed options from 6 to 13 (measured in feet). Various stats and graphs are displayed to monitor your putting stroke and putting consistency versus target distances; a putting “Analysis” can be performed and data can be saved to see progress over time.

I found the ball to roll well on the mat – ie. smoothly and in line with the start line you impart to it – then the on-screen virtual ball appears to roll true to that line, along with the speed imparted at impact to give you a pretty realistic simulation of each putt’s direction and distance. A nice touch is the hole capture also appears very realistic – eg. die into the cup (or hang on the edge!), hit the back of the cup, fall in from the side or even bounce over the top if the line was right but the speed was too firm.

1092664389_ExPutt-Practice-screenshot1.jpg.8ffeeee37a33fc9e8de3fd82f50ed034.jpg
-- screen appears a bit busy at first .. video commentary below.

The Practice and Practice Summary screens, plus the separate “Analysis” on-screen report, provide a lot of information, but … in my opinion several interface changes, plus some usability re-engineering, could make these data presentations even better and make the user navigation much simpler overall.

119902003_ExPutt-PracticeSummaryscreenshot.jpg.f073d39860dccfe8a4bfe17ea951ad73.jpg
-- this screen appears to me surprisingly uncluttered .. video commentary below.

*sloped greens are available in Challenge and Play modes

Rolling 5 footers...

First view - on the mat...

..next view - on screen...

My current putting practice…
..is most frequently in the basement using an 8’ 8” putting mat with two different surfaces lengthwise(presumably meant to simulate two green speeds?); on what I think is the faster side there’s a smaller 2 ½” hole, the other is 3 ¾”. There’s a ramp up at the hole end to enable a gravity feed ball return; another presumption is the design is meant to encourage you to hit each putt firmly enough to get the ball up the ramp to the hole.

145463991_currentputtpracticesetup.jpg.844b0206a3a0c8e50cd1439f7ddcf907.jpg

On the (faster?) smaller hole side (further from the camera) I can practice putts varying from 4 out to 8 feet; for example, I can do ladder drills of either increasing or decreasing length.

On the other (slower?) side I’ve added a PuttOut pressure trainer and mirror; here I’ve set up two different 3-foot putts – the mirror is set up closer to the hole so the ramp simulates slower greens (or uphill, I guess); the mirror of course helps me monitor my stance and stroke. The PuttOut trainer is at the other (flat) end and simulates faster putts (or downhill, maybe) .. as the “capture” of the target hole requires a slower speed than what is needed for the up-the-ramp putt.

So I can conveniently practice a few different putts in one place.

EXCEPT ... I cannot practice long lag putts – which have been a weak spot in my game, nor putts across various breaks.

Accessing ExPutt’s Practice mode and selecting options…
Getting into Practice mode is just a single click from the Main start-up screen; while in Practice mode rolling putts you can click “Menu” on the remote and change an option – such as green speed or max putt length – though several arrow presses and “OK” clicks are required – and then go back and continue practicing. So this is one user interface area that can be cleaned up and simplified.

* If a new user were to just click “OK” from the Main start-up screen to go right into Practice Mode they’d be using all the…

Main Settings initial defaults, which include…

• BGM (aka background music, so this could use a new label) = On
    • I set mine Off.
    • Note that the Practice green has its own sounds, which you can mute using the remote.
  • Auto Power off = On
    • Does not tell you the value until timeout, which is 30 minutes and only shown on the last page .. #32 .. of the user manual. No other time values available.
  • Hole Cup Diameter = 4.25”
    • Most golfers will recognize this as a regulation size cup.
    • Only other option is 5.90” (approx +1/3rd larger) – which might be fun for young kids and beginners – but the new user wouldn’t know this if they didn’t go through the user manual or go into the Main Settings.
    • I’d like to see a smaller hole option added; ex. 2.6” (approx -1/3rd smaller).
  • Distance Unit = Feet
    • I suspect this is the default for US customers?
    • Can select Yards or Meters.
  • Dexterity = Right-handed.
    • I guess if you’re lefty you’d be forced to go exploring for how to change this.

And, within Practice Mode, if that new user just started rolling putts they’d also be using all the…

Practice Settings initial defaults, which include…

• Green Speed = 9
    • Can select from 6 to 13, measured in feet, in 1 foot increments
    • FYI – 10 feels faster to me vs many of the munis I typically play on .. 9 feels closer to those muni greens.
  • Practice Green = City
    • Changing this only changes the background scenery; the practice green itself is always flat and level.
    • I selected “Cherry Blossom” .. sounded pleasant and looks like you’re at a fancy country club 😉
  • Distance mode = Random
    • This is the most useful of three options, imho; so in this case the new user lucked out.
    • Other options are Fixed or Increasing (more on these below).
  • Max Distance = 50 ft
    • With Random mode and 50 ft selected each new putt varies between 5 to 50 feet; each successive putt will be either shorter or longer than the one just putted.
    • Options are set at – 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 (so nothing shorter than 5 and nothing like, say, 35).
    • FYI – I didn’t actually count it but there seem to be a larger number of putt lengths in the teens and twenties lengths .. which makes sense and provides practice correlating with many golfers’ actual on-course experience.                                                                            

Note 1: To change either hole size or right-/left-handed you have to exit Practice mode back to the Main start screen and then go into the main program Settings.

Note 1a: this may become listed as a problem when we get to “Play” mode (TBD) – suppose, for example, you have a right-handed parent who wants the regulation cup while playing with a left-handed kid who wants the larger-sized cup..?

And,
Note 2: The system does remember all your selections both in the Main Settings and in the Practice Settings from your prior session.

Some things I hope to improve using ExPutt…
Following-up on bullet points I’d listed in my “Intro” post earlier in this thread, along with some feedback on things I see in the software –

• Distance Control was my #1 item.
  • Yes! Absolutely!
    • This is the core of Practice Mode.
    • Varying distances in Random length option provide really really great practice.
    • Ability to work on longer putts up to 50 ft (which even with a good outdoor practice area are not easily practiced).
  • Pluses:
    • Long lag putts have already improved!
      • Last 18-hole round, as of this writing, I had 14 first putts > 10 feet (average of 25 ft) and the average leave from the hole was 2.6 feet (many were much closer!)
        • 6 of those putts were 25 ft and longer with an average leave of 4.4 ft (so avg was skewed up by the two longest putts from 40 and 50 where I had much longer leaves … and I 3-putted both…)
    • Green Speed options
      • Can select a faster or slower speed and keep practicing.
    • Fixed and Random distance mode options
      • Random is where I’ve spent the most time; to me it’s the most meaningful and productive practice option.
      • That said I will be spending some time going forward in Fixed mode at the longer available distances – 30, 40 and 50 feet.
    • Hit Map dispersion
      • This scatterplot on the left of the Practice screen updates with each putt so you have an on-going view of the endpoints of all of your putts versus the hole (..which could be shown on-screen a little more vividly).
    • and … you can keep rolling putts and don’t have to keep walking around retrieving golf balls! 😉
  • Minuses:
    • Max Distance –
      • No putts shorter than 5 feet are available anywhere in the sim.
        • You could intentionally hit shorter putts knowing they’d all be short of the 5 foot target hole.
        • Also note you can, if you wanted to, hit longer putts but eventually you will run out of green (not sure where that limit is, though).
    • Random mode –
      • Option here for max distance of 5 feet makes no sense .. you’re doing the exact same thing as Fixed at 5 feet.
        • In other words you cannot practice 1-2-3-4-5 footers randomly.
      • But note that Random at longer Max distances does give you a nice variety of odd-numbered length putts between 5 to the currently selected Max.
    • Increasing mode –
      • Very limited, IMO.
        • eg. select “20” and you get THREE putts … at 5 – 10 – 20 feet … then that small cycle repeats.
        • select “30” and you get four putts of 5 – 10 – 20 – 30
        • Only marginally useful practice, imho.
      • Really needs to be extended to include at least every 5 feet, or maybe every 2 or 3 feet, from Min to Max.
      • And – why is there no “Decreasing” mode?
        …OR , better yet – combine Increasing and Decreasing into a new single practice type called “Ladder Drill” and offer options of “Increasing” / “Decreasing” / “Both”.
    • Hit Map dispersion –
      • I’d like to see a number for “Average Distance From Hole”, over all putts, overlaid on this plot (eg. a bright yellow or maybe black star, to clearly differentiate from the putt data points).
      • Would also be nice to show the number here for the current “Dev”, or Standard Deviation, of all of your misses (your goal is a value close to zero).
        • Side Note: Standard Deviation is roughly defined as the variability of a set of values around their mean, where mean is basically a moving average.
    • “Analysis” and Distance Avg –
      • To get to this you have to…
        .. click “Menu” on the remote
        .. arrow down then left to get to “Analysis”
        .. click “OK”
        .. then ..
        .. roll 30 putts indicated only by a countdown number at the lower-left
        .. then ..
        .. click “OK” to view the Analysis results…
      • I understand you need a minimum number of data points to derive meaningful stats, buuuut

* ..it’s not clear to me why these stats don’t just display right on the main Practice screen??
        (even after you’ve hit at least 30 putts if that’s a hard requirement)

* Then they can be continually updated just like all other displayed stats.

• Another note on Std Dev – the value is based around your Distance Average, and not from the hole.

• Also… I find the small white countdown number overlaid on the lower-left of the practice green to be a decidedly underwhelming method of informing the user what they’re doing program-wise.
    • It’s also a sudden change from the Putt Counter at the top-left of the screen.

• Green Reading.
  • Not applicable in Practice mode; TBD in Challenge and Play modes.
  • * Future Enhancement I’d like to see –
    • Would be nice to have a new practice setting option that allows the user to “tilt” the green from 1 – (10??) degrees so they’re putting either …
      • downhill, uphill, sidehill with uphill to your right, sidehill with uphill to your left.
    • And then.. it would be nice to be able to select an “Around The Clock” drill .. with options on starting and increment distances, eg. 3 ft then every 1 or 2 or 3 ft, so the virtual you can move around the hole and putt different breaks!

• Starting Line.
    • Yes! Absolutely!
      • The Practice screen displays “Launch Direction” after every putt – along with the “Putter Path” and “Impact Angle” of the face – plus the Avg value of each for the current session.
  • Pluses:
    • As your putt rolls to the hole there is a faint highlighted line on the screen going straight towards the hole, so you can monitor your ball’s progress along that virtual line.
  • Minuses:
    • No aim spot right in front of the ball.
      • If you’re someone like me who likes to pick a spot right in front of the ball on your aim line and then roll the ball over that spot … it’s going to take a little while to get used to rolling putts on the ExPutt.
        • I’ve found myself glancing up .. at contact .. to look at the lighter colored aiming points on the mat that are 0.5 meter and 2 feet in front of the ball…..
        • There are aiming spots at 1 foot in front but they are flat black .. on a flat black background .. so not easy to pick out for these old tired eyes.
      • I asked our contact at ExPutt if I could mark a spot on the mat but he said that would most likely interfere with the camera’s ability to clearly pick up the ball as it moves (so not, emphasized, recommended).

• Other Stroke Mechanics.
    In my Intro I’d mentioned tempo plus stroke length and speed as things I’d like to see and work on … unfortunately these data points are not available in ExPutt…

• Tempo – not sure this even could be measured from looking at the putterhead moving (as the ExPutt camera does)..??
      • Tempo .. as you read and hear everywhere .. is a key to good putting.
      • Your putt tempo should be pretty constant over all length putts (eg. around 2:1) – so this could be very useful info.
    • Stroke length – possibly this could be measured..??
      • I think for each putt distance bracket, eg. every 5 feet maybe, this could be helpful information (how consistent is your physical stroke from, say, 10-15 feet?).
      • The system does provide Ball Speed on every putt, buuut .. considering that ball speed is the result of stroke length plus effort imparted to the ball at contact, I’d like to see this input.
      • Then I could start to correlate stroke length to length of putt (while .. in theory .. keeping force at impact somewhat constant).

FYI, here’s a screenshot (smartphone app) of everything that a Blast Motion Golf sensor picks up on each putt…

1843567755_BlastMotionGolfscreenshot.jpg.e901cae03f683436c7b9d3fd72d2cd54.jpg

..and you can touch any metric to drill-down to more detail...

89094371_BlastMotionGolf-detailview.jpg.f74894b08672df071913a5b3bc515009.jpg

• “Feel” putting.
    Not sure how to best describe this in an overwhelmingly mechanically-oriented stats-driven simulation, but…
  • Pluses:
    • Target Distance – the on-screen view does try to provide a distance perspective for each putt; eg. on a 5 foot putt the hole appears much “closer” vs on longer 20, 30, 40, 50 foot putts.
      • Note on the longer putts the grid lines on the green appear to start to converge in the distance.
  • Minuses:
    • Ball Speed – other users seem to have found utility in this number, but unfortunately I have not…
      • Since ball speed is the result of (a) stroke length .. which possibly can be measured and displayed, plus (b) effort imparted to the ball at impact .. which probably cannot be measured…
      • I’d like to see Stroke Length displayed on the screen so that I can build a reference of stroke length to putt length (assuming haha I can impart a reasonably consistent impact force).
        • It seems much more straightforward to me to try to calibrate my stroke length to distance vs a ball speed…

..more to come when we get into "Challenge" and "Play" modes.

Feedback on the Practice screen display…
Earlier in this post I’d mentioned a number of items I see on the screen that maybe could be presented a little differently. In addition, requiring a separate path in to activate the “Analysis” function is a weak spot in the overall user navigation.

* A major data point I’d like to see in the stats column but completely missing is “Distance From Hole” .. or, the “leave” on your misses .. for each putt, plus an ongoing Average for all putts during that practice session. Yes.. the scatterplot “Hit Map” gives a overall visual but it does not show a “centroid”, or central tendency point.

The following is a “tour” of the screen with me talking about the things I feel might be changed or enhanced …

And…

Practice Summary display…
..seems to me sadly short of meaningful stats for each distance bracket. You get the scatterplot of putt dispersion broken out for each distance category .. except here I was only rolling 5 to 10 footers in my initial test (also note “0 – 10” needs to be re-labeled to “5 – 10”!) .. and then just TWO stats from all the data that was collected…

“Distance Deviation” does not say exactly what it means to the user / golfer. Mentioned above but I’m gonna mention it again…

• Standard Deviation is roughly defined as the variability of a set of values around their mean, where mean is basically a moving average.

…and there’s nothing on-screen that indicates what your mean distance from the hole was…....

“Direction” as a label is also potentially confusing as on the Practice screen you were shown.. putter path, impact angle plus launch direction (three directionally-oriented stats). So we just “..have to know” that it’s the “Average Launch Direction”.

* What I’d like to see / was hoping to see...
..is an optional data display along these lines – please note this is just random data I put into a sheet so I could create an example chart – that details your makes, misses and average leave within each distance bracket…

1112409944_ExPutt-examplePracticeSummaryhistogramchart.png.54dee93d446637182f58c298907bf590.png

That highlighted number at the lower-right of the data table .. 2.55 .. which I did not overlay onto the chart .. represents the total average leave over all putts (from the current practice session). So in this hypothetical I had a bunch of leaves inside that magic 3-foot circle, but then several waaaay outside, and on average the second putt was from about 2 1/2 feet.

A few other comments…
The virtual camera follows your ball rolling along in an overhead limited view – you cannot watch the entire path of your putt, which I would find helpful and should be a user-selectable option for “Camera View” allowing, say, “First Person”, “Follow” or “Behind the Hole”.

The “back” button on the remote does nothing – I thought it might take you out to the Main screen; instead you need to press “Menu” and then arrow down a few times to get to “Finish” then click “OK” (or of course you could just power off).

And now this is just nit-picking, but .. the sound of a simulated struck putt from the simulation .. which comes just a tad after your actual putt .. seems unnecessary and does not add any value to the goal of improving your putting. You can mute this from the remote; note that will also mute the “Ready” voice prompt and the fun cowbell ringing when you sink one.

Bottom Line…
ExPutt provides a golfer an excellent and convenient way to practice distance control from 5 to 50 feet on a flat, level green with optional green speeds from 6 to 13 anytime right in their own home. The realistic enough simulation, plus displayed stats and graphs, provide a lot of meaningful feedback to help anyone improve.

Is it better than the old, standard mat? Yes!!!

However there are some enhancements and changes that, in my opinion, could be done to the software and interface … and hopefully future versions will incorporate some of the MGS testers’ comments to make the overall product and users’ experience even better.

---

Wow, you really dug in to this! I think my experience was similar, although I found value in different things.

To answer your one question, the maximum putt length on the green is 95 feet - anything further than that and you're off the green (although I didn't notice that slowing the ball down at all).

My preference is to train for ball speed, not putt distance, because ball speed is consistent when the swing is consistent, whereas putt distance varies with green speed. I plan to address this in more detail in my final review and see if it actually helps me on course though. I've been mentally associating specific ball speeds with specific stroke lengths, which helped immensely in Challenge mode.

As far as data display goes, you get much more in-depth data when you do an "Analysis" set from within the Practice mode. It takes I believe 35 shots to get through (there's a countdown near the bottom left of the screen) and then afterwords you can view all the data, broken down by putt distance. Once you've done it 5 times it will show you your data over time (I haven't gotten to that point yet).

And finally, on the topic of sound - I agree with you that the putt sound is unnecessary. I also really dislike the sound of a sunk putt, first of all because it sounds like a cast iron cup, and second because the sound is exactly the same every time, whether you ram the putt off the back of the cup and in, or if it just barely drops into the front of the hole. Maybe my irritation is just a result of sinking so many putts though ..... #humblebrag