Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My final review is now live: 

Spoiler alert: by my calculations the EXPUTT has shaved 2.46 strokes from my score!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

Thanks to MGS for giving me the opportunity to test this training aid.   If you want to know what I think about the product, take a look at my final review:

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Played 9 holes yesterday with my brother and a couple of his friends. I was struggling with my ball-striking, which is normally pretty good, and wasn't getting anywhere close to the pin when I did manage to hit the green. Still managed to walk away with a 2-putt on every hole. I especially notice the difference from inside 4 feet - I can step up to a 3 foot putt now and it feels like a tap-in, whereas previously I was always nervous that I would miss.

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

^^ Nice!!

Played 9 this afternoon and while overall my distance control is really improved - and I'm also more confident over all my putts - plenty of aalllmooost first putts and short easy seconds ... I blew it on holes #1 and #9 where the speed changed (#1 from the practice green) to much slooower...

So I left the first one way short on a very sloped sidehill both times.....

So I take back my previous no more three putts brag 🤠

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

11 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

^^ Nice!!

Played 9 this afternoon and while overall my distance control is really improved - and I'm also more confident over all my putts - plenty of aalllmooost first putts and short easy seconds ... I blew it on holes #1 and #9 where the speed changed (#1 from the practice green) to much slooower...

So I left the first one way short on a very sloped sidehill both times.....

So I take back my previous no more three putts brag 🤠

Yeah, the changes I've made to my putting stroke definitely rely on the practice green being a similar speed to the actual greens. If they're much different you're kinda screwed.

16 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Yeah, the changes I've made to my putting stroke definitely rely on the practice green being a similar speed to the actual greens. If they're much different you're kinda screwed.

But this is true anywhere and can even happen on the course during a round.  Start early and greens can be damp and later in the round after the sun comes out a breeze can dry out greens and make them faster.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

But this is true anywhere and can even happen on the course during a round.  Start early and greens can be damp and later in the round after the sun comes out a breeze can dry out greens and make them faster.  

That's true, but often those are changes you can expect or identify. For example, if the practice green is in full sun and the green on the first hole is in the shade, I can expect it to be slower. I was mainly referring to some municipal courses I've played where they put almost no effort into maintaining the practice green, so it's not at all similar to the on-course greens.

Here’s a link to my final review of the Exputt. I did a video instead of typing. Hope y’all like it!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I mentioned this in my final review but wanted to point it out separately. The more I have used the ExPutt the more feel based my putts are becoming. I look at the distance on the screen and now just make the stroke that feels right. I am now moving away from moving the putter a specific distance as the feel of a putt becomes more ingrained. When playing I walk off the putts distances and make the appropriate stroke.

I have baselines myself on green speed of 10. When moving to faster or slower greens I will be translating the required distance to the right feel.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I mentioned this in my final review but wanted to point it out separately. The more I have used the ExPutt the more feel based my putts are becoming. I look at the distance on the screen and now just make the stroke that feels right. I am now moving away from moving the putter a specific distance as the feel of a putt becomes more ingrained. When playing I walk off the putts distances and make the appropriate stroke.

I have baselines myself on green speed of 10. When moving to faster or slower greens I will be translating the required distance to the right feel.

Glad you mentioned all that - in a funny coincidence, I was going to post something similar...

Practicing with the ExPutt has helped me correlate stroke lengths with putt distances .. a thing I could not easily work on before (at least not for anything over 8ft! - the length of my putting mat) .. and have started doing the same method of pacing off everything that looks longer than 10 feet and rehearsing the appropriate length stroke.

The results are definitely showing the last several rounds - more first putts, from any distance, are finishing closer to the hole leaving more "easy" 😉 second putts; and so the incidence of 3-putts is dropping .. from an average of 1.4 per 9 holes (before ExPutt) to an average of 1.125 over the last 8 x 9-hole rounds.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Inspired by John Rahm, I was practicing my 50-footers last night:

An FYI update, re: Practice Summary Screen ...

Here's a good example of one of the things that bothered me in Practice mode - after you're done rolling putts, you can exit to the main menu or click the "Menu" button on the remote to access the Practice Settings then arrow down to "Finish" and click OK to get to the Practice Summary screen.....

1468088598_ExPuttPracticeSummaryscreen_3.jpg.153cbf283445291c743d98696671d317.jpg

Here I hit a total of 75 putts (that number does not show anywhere) with a lot of makes in the "0-10" range (it's actually = 5-10 feet; but the makes number does not show anywhere) and you can see moving to the right more misses / fewer makes at each longer distance category ... and a corresponding larger dispersion of misses (yeah had a string of real short misses in there...).

In the accompanying text on the left of the screenshot you can see they suggest .. "Focus practicing on the weak targeted distance" .. which in this example looking at the dispersion plots appears to be the "20-30" distance, yet -- the system's calculated "Distance Deviation" for the "20-30" distance category is actually a smaller value (in absolute terms) vs the "10-20" category which has a smaller dispersion pattern.

So ... what is this "Deviation" number telling us...???*

*PS: as a former math geek I know the technical answer but my question is oriented towards common-sense, easy to understand, "actionable intelligence" for all golfers.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

An FYI update, re: Practice Summary Screen ...
Here's a good example of one of the things that bothered me in Practice mode - after you're done rolling putts, you can exit to the main menu or click the "Menu" button on the remote to access the Practice Settings then arrow down to "Finish" and click OK to get to the Practice Summary screen.....
1468088598_ExPuttPracticeSummaryscreen_3.jpg.153cbf283445291c743d98696671d317.jpg
Here I hit a total of 75 putts (that number does not show anywhere) with a lot of makes in the "0-10" range (it's actually = 5-10 feet; but the makes number does not show anywhere) and you can see moving to the right more misses / fewer makes at each longer distance category ... and a corresponding larger dispersion of misses (yeah had a string of real short misses in there...).
In the accompanying text on the left of the screenshot you can see they suggest .. "Focus practicing on the weak targeted distance" .. which in this example looking at the dispersion plots appears to be the "20-30" distance, yet -- the system's calculated "Distance Deviation" for the "20-30" distance category is actually a smaller value (in absolute terms) vs the "10-20" category which has a smaller dispersion pattern.
So ... what is this "Deviation" number telling us...???*

*PS: as a former math geek I know the technical answer but my question is oriented towards common-sense, easy to understand, "actionable intelligence" for all golfers.

I understand what you are getting but I think you need to look at the summary of what is presented there across the numbers and graphs. The problem isn’t the data, it is the lack of an explanation/documentation on how to interpret the data.

I think you have a bigger problem in the 10-20 foot range. You miss circle is approaching 6 feet in diameter with a tendency to miss short. The problem them becomes granularity; are the 3 foot misses when you approach the 20 foot range or do they happen at 10 feet also. At 20-30 feet a 6 foot miss pattern is more acceptable. While you should work on all distances based on the charts and data 10-20 foot range is where you need the most work.

While I agree that if the system is providing data there should be documentation helping to explain how to use the system. Just like launch monitors, people are going to be chasing numbers such as perfect path and face angle and the expectation that they should make all their putts.

Great job on the review, fellas.  This was a fun one to follow!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Great job on the review, fellas.  This was a fun one to follow!

Thanks. Anything we didn’t cover or that needs more clarification?

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I understand what you are getting but I think you need to look at the summary of what is presented there across the numbers and graphs. The problem isn’t the data, it is the lack of an explanation/documentation on how to interpret the data.

I think you have a bigger problem in the 10-20 foot range. You miss circle is approaching 6 feet in diameter with a tendency to miss short. The problem them becomes granularity; are the 3 foot misses when you approach the 20 foot range or do they happen at 10 feet also. At 20-30 feet a 6 foot miss pattern is more acceptable. While you should work on all distances based on the charts and data 10-20 foot range is where you need the most work.

While I agree that if the system is providing data there should be documentation helping to explain how to use the system. Just like launch monitors, people are going to be chasing numbers such as perfect path and face angle and the expectation that they should make all their putts.

I agree, it's like a full sim system. Without a coach to walk you through some of the numbers, it's easy to draw the wrong conclusion. I mentioned that in my review as well - it would be easy to see on the screen that your face angle is all over the place from left to right and think that you need to do a better job controlling the club face, when in reality the issue is that the ball is hitting towards the toe and the heel, deflecting the club face. So what you thought was the cause of your problems was actually a result of a different problem.

And that's with a pretty easy-to-understand number that the system gives you - it gets much more confusing when you're dealing with poorly-explained putting stats.