Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: Exputt putting simulator

exputt-59-awards-820x820.jpg

Sometimes the difference between winning and losing or shooting a great round vs a good round is how well you putt.

Exputt is here to make sure that you always win and always have that great round - and it's a fun game also!

Join us as we follow these members who will be perfecting their putting with the Exputt putting simulator.

@cnosil  REVIEW
@PMookie  REVIEW
@cksurfdude  REVIEW
@gavinski91  REVIEW
@Golfspy_CG2  REVIEW

exputt_features.png

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

CG2 ExPutt Review

Well I suppose most of you know about my role here, if you don't then that means I'm like a good referee, you don't notice me.  But in short for the new members: My name is Rob/Robert either one is fine.  I have been on MGS for 4 years now, and am my third year of serving in an administrator role, one year as a moderator and the past 18 months as Forum Director along with Golfspy_Studque.   My full time job is the Tournament Director of a golf course in Maryland.   

I get the opportunity to try and or buy a lot of equipment, and I take full advantage of it.  While I will play just anything that has a grip and head on it, it's not secret that my "home brand" if you will is Titleist.   But PING, Mizuno, TM, Callaway, Srixon, Wilson, PXG  and Cobra have all had a spot in the bag at some point or another.   

I'm not the longest hitter, maybe 220 off the tee, and my handicap has moved as often as my bag setup has.  As high as 22 at the beginning of 2018 to a low of 15.9 at the end of last year.  This year, due to COVID and a course that is so damn busy I can't even get a tee time as an employee, I haven't played as much and didn't register an official index this year....I know shame on me.   I'll change that in 2021 as I hope to play a few tournaments, that I didn't this year.

As a short hitter, I've had to develop a good short game, and generally it keeps my index from getting completely out of hand.  Putting is my absolute strength and as a result, it's the club I've changed out the least amount.   I have two that I go between, the PING Tyne 4 and a Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5.  So this testing will be interesting to see if I'm as good as I claim 🙂

My Hobby, since golf is my job, is college basketball, I cover it for a couple media outlets in the area and online, let's hope there is a season this year.   

I was really excited to take part in this testing, when I was setting it up for the forum, the owner Mo said he wanted me to be part of it as well, so they offered up another unit for me to take part in.   How great is that. 

My first impressions when I opened up the package, is what a professional and high quality product and presentation it was.  

7A699105-85EB-4A05-B813-3FAC6754A1FF.jpeg

C2996610-051C-424A-9E60-0E6BFFA194A4.jpeg

I had seen some promotional videos of the product from the My Golf Spy 59 awards and on Twitter from Ex Putt, so I kind of knew what to expect from an equipment standpoint, but it was much more compact than I expected.   The camera unit, remote and stand were all securely packaged in one box, then the mat was rolled up in a tight bundle and placed in a very nice carrying case. 

Set up was pretty straight forward, I took the time to read the very small and not too detailed user manual, and from unpacking to my first putt was maybe 15 minutes. 

Quality of components (9 out of 10 points) 

As mentioned the packaging was very well presented and protected the camera extremely well.  Each item is of high quality construction, the camera and stand were a little less bulky and heavy than I thought they would be.  That's a good thing, but it also caused me to be very aware of where I set it up to make sure it wouldn't topple or fall easily.   It never has yet to date. 

As to the technical and smart features, some of the other testers who are technical people by profession have already chimed in with several great comments here, that I can't possibly improve on.  I will just add the feature that allows you to move the view of the green, wasn't 100% clear in the manual from my reading and it took a bit of trial and error to use it accordingly. 

Also as some others have mentioned the relatively short HDMI cable can possibly limit your setup.  I know some have bought a longer cord, but I made my home set up work as well as the at work setup.

Ease of use (8 out of 10 points) 

I already touched on the ease of setup.  As far as ease of use, the navigation on the main menu is very straight forward and easy to follow.   

Each mode has a description up front and was pretty simple to understand.  I do think there could definitely be more detail on all the features in each mode.  For example on conceded putt mode, I think you determine after a few putts that anything inside 3 feet is conceded, I don't recall seeing that in any of the previews of each mode.   That's not a huge deal, but little things like that throughout each mode would have been helpful. 

F04846F0-8E57-431A-BCDE-86106565234E.jpeg

Basic Characteristics (25 out of 30  points)

One of the key thing we evaluate in any training or practice aid is, did it want to make you practice or did it make your practice more effective.    

I would give a big yes to both these questions.  During this really hot part of summer, where I don't want to go hit balls on the range for 30 minutes, I easily have spent an hour or so going through an entire mode.

As for making practice effective, I would say 100% the Practice mode is just as useful and maybe more so than time spent on the green.  The part I found most helpful is the reading of the face angle.  And without fail, anytime I missed a putt right, it showed my face at impact was open, and for left misses, almost always that my path was across the line.   You can't always feel or see this on a practice green.  So I've spent a lot of time practicing on keeping my face angle square. 

E7008D4D-61E3-4EBC-BF94-D4B1BC11DD6D.jpeg

08195772-8A08-418F-AA02-CB3A5E898B94.jpeg

The one area I struggled early on is the short (3 to 4 feet) putts.  During my first run at the challenge mode, I kept running 4 footers past the hole by 4 feet, and did the same coming back.  This is something that I never do on course.   The ball stop is essentially 2.5 feet from the mark you putt from.  So in time, I learned to use that as a 2 foot putt and try to run the ball a foot past it.  Other than face angle and club path, I'm not real sure it will help me a lot on short putt practice.  

2D9E11F4-C610-437B-918D-05E6C4CC52DD.jpeg

16BE2856-3744-4E70-869F-B47CB5D7F72A.jpeg

On-Course Performance (12 out of 15 points)

This is one that I'm sure each tester will score differently.  I'm not really sure if it helped my on course performance with anything more than the face angle I already mentioned.  So with enough and consistent time in the practice mode, I will know what to do to insure I keep the face and path correct, and be able to take that to the course, so in that way it's helpful.   

I'm a very feel type of putter, and generally have a very good feel for distance, it's probably the strongest part of my game.  So I don't really find where the EX Putt helps me with distance control, as it might some others. 

While Practice mode may the most helpful, I found the Challenge Mode the most addictive.  It's a 9 hole putting green where you get 3 chances each from 3 different locations to make a putt.  If you make it on the first putt you get a higher score than you do on the 3rd putt, if you miss all three you get a fail, as you can see.  

You will note that some of my fellow testers scored much higher than my 163.  That was a result of them using what I referred to as the "cheat mode" a helpful hint where you they show you the break fo the putt beforehand, I went based on my own visual---probably not a great idea.   You can see the holes and locations get tougher as you go. 

209DE1F1-EDDA-423B-8A7F-45DA24FFCC9F.jpeg

Miscellaneous (14 out of 15 points)

For this this product, I will say the biggest miscellaneous factor was the extremely fast shipping, which I believe is not just due to us being testers, but that would be the case for most purchase.  Also the accessibility of the founder and owner Mo, who made himself available to several of the testers for questions and thoughts.  And I have a feeling he would do so for just about anyone buying the Ex Putt

Continue to use or Stash in the Closet? (18 out of 20 points)

I will continue to use Ex Putt, definitely more so during the winter.  Another thing that may be unique to me is that as I work at a golf course we have talked abut setting this up in the bar during the winter and having some putting leagues.  The Play 9 Mode is perfect for this.   It takes maybe 45 minutes for two players to complete the 9 holes, so it would make a perfect activity for some burgers and beers while competing.  

Conclusion

It's biggest plus is it's without a doubt the best putting aid I've used to find out what is going on with your putting stroke and putting statistics to it.  Not just visbily seeing you missed a putt to the right or left or short.   There are so many stats, face angle, club path, speed of putt etc that can help you see why you missed and what your optimal stroke would look like.

Beyond that it also then provides what most simulators should, very good graphics in a fun and challenging way to compete against other players or yourself. 

Final Score: (86 out of 100 points)

825FE951-99BF-4EFC-9D20-8B64332E150C.jpeg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Shipping notices are arriving;  should be in hand in a few days.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

This test will be interesting for me as it combines my hobby (golf) and my profession (software testing). Part of my goal is to get better but part of my mindset will be to see if I can break it. emoji16.png

Great point, and a great add to the testing!! 👍 Looking forward to see what you turn up....

I have an idea for a feature enhancement .. assuming it's not already a part of the system .. but no spoilers!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The testers are getting excited to start diving into testing the ExPutt;  what do you want us to test and evaluate?

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The testers are getting excited to start diving into testing the ExPutt;  what do you want us to test and evaluate?

I would like to see how well the distance control works, especially on longer lag putts and get an idea of how it translates on the course. Plus, the data you'll get on your strokes will be interesting to see. This should be a great test and I'm looking forward to it. 

34 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I'm most interested in the launch data and how accurate it is. Would be cool to see it tested against your tendencies on GCQuad as well, since you probably know your average face angles from doing MW testing. If it's accurate, I would consider getting one to help me with my face control. Data feedback just works better for me vs. using a gate

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

19 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I'm most interested in the launch data and how accurate it is. Would be cool to see it tested against your tendencies on GCQuad as well, since you probably know your average face angles from doing MW testing. If it's accurate, I would consider getting one to help me with my face control. Data feedback just works better for me vs. using a gate

I'll see what I can do about getting some baselines.   Haven't done much on the GC Quad for putting measurements; they don't take any data measurements during putter testing.    but I can reference some older SAM Puttlab reports I have.  

49 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I would like to see how well the distance control works, especially on longer lag putts and get an idea of how it translates on the course. Plus, the data you'll get on your strokes will be interesting to see. This should be a great test and I'm looking forward to it. 

Distance control is one of my big interests as well.   Really want to try and compare green speed and distance results.  

They may have set a Forum Testing record for quickest shipping and in hand time of any test.  

Getting these in hand in less than 7 days from being picked

I don’t know, Bag Boy was quicker than 7 days but that is awesome they are arriving so quickly.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I don’t know, Bag Boy was quicker than 7 days but that is awesome they are arriving so quickly.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Really I hadn't realized that!

Ok even more impressive. 48 hours and in one  case 24 hours in hand from the time ExPutt got the shipping info. 

My biggest concern is distance control - how does perceived distance of a 2D image translate to a 3D world in which feel and perception are large drivers in the stroke. I know it has been mentioned, but thought I'd throw it out there again. I've played on a couple other full-game simulators over the years and short game seems the most difficult to simulate to me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

My biggest concern is distance control - how does perceived distance of a 2D image translate to a 3D world in which feel and perception are large drivers in the stroke. I know it has been mentioned, but thought I'd throw it out there again. I've played on a couple other full-game simulators over the years and short game seems the most difficult to simulate to me.

I am with you 100%. On of my areas to investigate is the “feel” and “mechanical” player mindset. I like to calibrate distance by looking at the hole; will that translate to a 2D screen.

22 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

The testers and myself will go into this in a lot of detail as I know it's one of the biggest questions about it.  I can tell you in my playing around with it for a couple week now, it's the best I've ever seen at gauging putt speed.   I'll just leave that as a tease and you'll have to read the ongoing comments when they start up and the final reviews 🙂

Well this is an all star group!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

18 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I've had the same concern and am interested to see what it feels like. One thought I've had is wondering if this will change my approach to putting to be more like Bryson - pace out the putt so that you know the exact distance, and have swings associated with numerical distances (plus maybe a "plays like" to account for slope and green speed) rather than doing everything based off of feel. We all swing our irons based off of specific distances, knowing that a full swing with one club will go 165 yards, and a half swing with another club will go 95 yards, but when it comes to putting for most people I suspect it's all based on feel, and then rather than changing our swing we change how hard we hit the ball (keep in mind I'm speaking from a high-handicap perspective). This system I believe has the potential to radically change the way I approach putting.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS