GolfSpy Stroker

2020 Official Member Review: Exputt putting simulator

Our Sponsors

exputt-59-awards-820x820.jpg

Sometimes the difference between winning and losing or shooting a great round vs a good round is how well you putt.

Exputt is here to make sure that you always win and always have that great round - and it's a fun game also!

Join us as we follow these members who will be perfecting their putting with the Exputt putting simulator.

@cnosil  REVIEW
@PMookie  REVIEW
@cksurfdude  REVIEW
@gavinski91  REVIEW
@Golfspy_CG2  REVIEW

exputt_features.png

• Like 7

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
--------------------------
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

Exputt - Official MGS Forum Review by cnosil

Intro

For the last few weeks, I have been spending time most evenings and weekend afternoons; while watching golf, rolling putts on the ExPutt putting simulator.   When I get out to the course to play or practice the evaluate the simulation against golf course greens.  One of the nice aspects of this product is that it can be utilized in a variety of ways; someone looking to improve their putting can use it as a training aid and others can used it a family activity/game.  The multiuse aspect of the product means that while it may be great for one person it could be lacking for another.  As part of this review, I’ll try to address the various potential uses and how well I think it meets those needs and help answer whether this is a serious tool for golfers or just a way to pass some time.

Let’s see if you can PURRFECT your putting with the ExPutt Simulator

1934897165_Perfectyourputting.jpg.68eb3598fd8667c60d2e0a637d961631.jpg

Quality of components (9 out of 10 points)

My first impressions where that the packaging was good; although I found it odd that there were two product boxes one for the mat and one for the camera and accessories.  All the components were well secured withing the package minimizing the possibility for damaged or broken components.  The quality of the components is typical for items produced in this day and age.  The plastic components are fairly thin but should be durable. The mat is of high quality, had no issues with it lying flat. 

IMG_0545.thumb.jpg.3ff9590d1a1f2e30b47fe1e74f2f6ad4.jpgIMG_0543.thumb.jpg.f3b1e048b74de3651e018c74d787143e.jpg 

Ease of use (7 out of 10 points)

Setup of the product is easy as there are very few components to assemble.  Essentially unroll the mat, connect a power and video cable and power it on. 

In general, the ExPutt is intuitive but reading the manual is highly recommended as there are some details in the manual that provide some clarifications.   Unfortunately, some of the product features are not very well explained in the manual and require some trial and error such as the analysis capability which is included as a subset of the practice mode. 

Basic Characteristics (28 out of 30  points)

Instead of duplicating information I have already provided for each mode of the software I am going to provide links to the review of each aspect of the product.

Intro

Setup

Practice

Challenge mode

Play 9

For years the struggle I have had with putting practice is how to practice longer putts without the need to go to the golf course.  While there are putting mats that are 20+ feet long, I don’t have room in my house to actually lay one out or have a long aisle like @GolfSpy_MPR and Kirke to roll balls to a PuttOut. 

When I first setup the ExPutt, I did see the same patterns that I saw on the golf course; meaning longer putts were woefully short.  Because I wanted to improve my performance and what I was seeing with the product I wanted to practice putting because I knew I would see on course benefits.  One average I spend roughly 1-2 hours per day rolling putts.  This is more time than my pre-ExPutt practice time simply because there is more variety provided than I could do with gates and yardsticks.  

As the only golfer in my house the Play 9 mode probably won’t get used beyond this review.   If your family has multiple golfers, this mode would be a great activity.   I do have an issue with this game mode and the other reviewers seem to agree.   Putts that are inside 5 feet seem to require slower ball speed to make the putt than is required on the course.   I did find that this impacted my on-course performance as I became cautious on short putts and missed quite a few.  I rolled some putts on the practice green and found that the capture speed on a real course was higher than the software allowed.

Challenge mode should in theory build upon practice mode by adding the need to read greens.  This really doesn’t pan out in reality for me.  The software utilizes a contour map to help indicated the slopes on the green.  Since I don’t use green books or read greens using inches as a measure to determine if the hole is above or below my current position.   I get it, but it just doesn't translate to my on course usage.   The left image below is a commercial contour map and the right image is what is presented in the ExPutt simulator.

327557797_GreenContourmap.jpg.8c06f66bddab358e3dc4b0818da4b390.jpg642300211_DSCN2602(Small).JPG.f40c2d709b483a3283fe73ff4d1cc4c0.JPG

For me, practice mode is where I spend pretty much all of my time.  By using this mode, you have the ability to practice distance control and start line.   From a training aspect you can do both blocked and random practice and track analyze your performance over time by using the analysis mode.  I have even performed ladder drills where you try to fit as many balls as possible between 2 distances (utilizing the previous distance number and setting the distance 50 feet).  Note:  when doing the ladder drill, you should ignore the post practice metrics.  

distance.jpg.957fb88de71e774a94b6338c599b0b16.jpg

One of the early complaints I had about the system was about lighting and the issues I was having with the software reading the path and face angle for the putter.    I have since learned that lighting isn’t about ambient lighting but lighting directly on the mat.  Since I now understand the lighting needs, I am seeing better performance and don’t need to use the provided face stickers (or masking tape) for the putter.

On-Course Performance (10 out of 15 points)

Let’s get to the main thing people want to know.  Does using the ExPutt help me on the course.  The basic aspects someone should practice associated with putting are:

• Setup – This would include everything associated with setup to include posture, stance, and ball position.
  • Pace – Can you control the distance the ball rolls
  • Start line – Give a particular pace, you need to roll the ball on your intended line
  • Green Reading – Determining the path the ball will roll along.

Practice mode will assist with 2 of the 4 aspects.  My hope was that Challenge or Play mode would assist with green reading, but the moving raindrops don’t relate to on course performance and not everyone uses contour maps. 

Feel vs. Mechanical approaches.  I know many people will look at the product and say that they are feel players and with the 2D presentation and the inability to look at the hole they won’t get any benefit.  Perhaps I don’t totally understand the “feel” mentality, but to develop a feel approach, you have to do some type of calibration to convert what you see to the appropriate feel.   When I am using the product, I am looking at the putt distance and training the feel for how the putter needs to move.  Even golfers that rely on feel need to work on stroke length and tempo which results in a distance; if the distance is 25’; reproduce that stroke that rolls the ball 25’.

What I am seeing on the course it that my putts are finishing closer to the hole which is what I was the improvement I was hoping to realize from using the product.  When I get to the course, I put tees at 5, 10, 20,30,40, and 50 feet and practice rolling the ball to those tees.  After using the ExPutt my ability to roll the ball those distance feels very natural and I don’t need to hit multiple putts to recall the feel; basically, distance control is becoming more automatic. 

I have actually learned a bit by using the product and changed some of my putting routine.   As part of my path to improving my game, I am tracking putt distances and walking off the length for each putt.  This change had directly mapped to what I have been practicing with the ExPutt.  Also reading the discussion within this thread has resulted in my switching from establishing distance control based on ball speed and not putt length.  Although most of the greens I play are in the 9/10 stimp range, by using ball speed I can have a chart that will enable me to use the right stroke length for any putt or green (see @gavinski91 review for the chart he put together). 

958466269_ballspeed.jpg.e25ae5739328994a6e8e7f65ae300116.jpg

One feature I wish the software provided is the ability to slope the green left and right to be able to practice controlled

breaking putts.  This would ideally use % of slope to reflect how the aimpoint system works.  Also, adding back the recommended path would be a nice touch; similar to the Putt View system.

50917040_332627577343087_216576780481540

Miscellaneous (15 out of 15 points)

I can’t speak to what other people will experience, but the team behind the ExPutt is committed to the product and developing products in this market.  The team shipped the product to us within days of our being selected and reached out to us via email and phone to ensure we had our questions answered. Based on some of the things they discussed about future plans I know I would potentially purchase other products based on the quality of this product. 

When I read through the application forum, there were lots of comments about the possibility of using the product for putter fitting.  In short, yes, you could use this for very basic putter fitting, but it would be the equivalent of using one of the $200 launch monitors instead of a Trackman or GC Quad.   While definitely a step above something like the iPing putting app, this product isn’t on par with product like Blast or Capto due to the lack of captured data.  For the guy who wants to do at home comparisons, this is a great tool. 

Continue to use or Stash in the Closet? (20 out of 20 points)

For those old enough to remember, lets answer the $64,000

64kquestion.jpg.76ee70ebb9cf2706d65bd2d4ceb129ee.jpg

Does this product go in my closet or will I keep using it?   The simple answer is that it will definitely be a mainstay in my putting practice; It is just too easy to setup and roll a few putts.  The product hits the mark and is the perfect training aid to work on speed control.  The one hope I have is that my wife lets me keep the second TV on the den. 😊

This product fits in a great niche and there really isn’t anything in the price range that compares.  If you simply look at the ability to practice putts up to 50 feet on a variety of green speeds in your living room you won’t find anything better.   30-foot Birdie Ball greens cost $310 and 26-foot Wellputt greens are $460.  In my opinion nothing matches up for someone looking to practice long putts and simulate different green speeds.   If you have a golfing family, it provides features to provide whole family entertainment. 

Conclusion

Alright, if you jumped straight here, you missed a lot of solid background info but decided it was too much to read and just want the final answer.  Simply put if you play golf you probably average about 18.5 feet for your first putt.  How do you practice those long putts at home; do you have a 20, 30, or 50-foot hallway?   Are you going to buy a super long putting mat?  If you want to practice lag putting and possibly dive into some putting related metric then the ExPutt is your answer.  Whether you play a local muni or a perfectly manicured country club, you can practice using the correct green speed and putts up to 50 feet.  This product cannot be compared to a SAM Puttlab, Quintic, Capto, or even the low-cost Blast motion device; they attach to the putter and capture information about how the putter moves.   The ExPutt provides barebones information that help you practice putting especially distance control. 

I am typically skeptical about putting training aids but after having had an opportunity to actually using the aid, I would definitely purchase the product.  During the review the ExPutt team shared that they are looking at producing follow on products and based on the quality of this aid, I am already saving some money to purchase.   

If Siskel and Ebert were reviewing this product they would rate 2 thumbs up.     

S_and_E.jpg.3f63b524fa54e221dfcab658c31996c2.jpg

Final Score: (89 out of 100 points)

• Like 9

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Shipping notices are arriving;  should be in hand in a few days.  

• Like 4

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

This test will be interesting for me as it combines my hobby (golf) and my profession (software testing). Part of my goal is to get better but part of my mindset will be to see if I can break it. emoji16.png

Great point, and a great add to the testing!! 👍 Looking forward to see what you turn up....

I have an idea for a feature enhancement .. assuming it's not already a part of the system .. but no spoilers!

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR) and/or Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

The testers are getting excited to start diving into testing the ExPutt;  what do you want us to test and evaluate?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The testers are getting excited to start diving into testing the ExPutt;  what do you want us to test and evaluate?

I would like to see how well the distance control works, especially on longer lag putts and get an idea of how it translates on the course. Plus, the data you'll get on your strokes will be interesting to see. This should be a great test and I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I'm most interested in the launch data and how accurate it is. Would be cool to see it tested against your tendencies on GCQuad as well, since you probably know your average face angles from doing MW testing. If it's accurate, I would consider getting one to help me with my face control. Data feedback just works better for me vs. using a gate

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

19 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I'm most interested in the launch data and how accurate it is. Would be cool to see it tested against your tendencies on GCQuad as well, since you probably know your average face angles from doing MW testing. If it's accurate, I would consider getting one to help me with my face control. Data feedback just works better for me vs. using a gate

I'll see what I can do about getting some baselines.   Haven't done much on the GC Quad for putting measurements; they don't take any data measurements during putter testing.    but I can reference some older SAM Puttlab reports I have.  

49 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I would like to see how well the distance control works, especially on longer lag putts and get an idea of how it translates on the course. Plus, the data you'll get on your strokes will be interesting to see. This should be a great test and I'm looking forward to it. 

Distance control is one of my big interests as well.   Really want to try and compare green speed and distance results.  

• Like 5

They may have set a Forum Testing record for quickest shipping and in hand time of any test.  

Getting these in hand in less than 7 days from being picked

I don’t know, Bag Boy was quicker than 7 days but that is awesome they are arriving so quickly.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I don’t know, Bag Boy was quicker than 7 days but that is awesome they are arriving so quickly.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Really I hadn't realized that!

Ok even more impressive. 48 hours and in one  case 24 hours in hand from the time ExPutt got the shipping info. 

• Like 7

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

My biggest concern is distance control - how does perceived distance of a 2D image translate to a 3D world in which feel and perception are large drivers in the stroke. I know it has been mentioned, but thought I'd throw it out there again. I've played on a couple other full-game simulators over the years and short game seems the most difficult to simulate to me.

• Like 6

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

My biggest concern is distance control - how does perceived distance of a 2D image translate to a 3D world in which feel and perception are large drivers in the stroke. I know it has been mentioned, but thought I'd throw it out there again. I've played on a couple other full-game simulators over the years and short game seems the most difficult to simulate to me.

I am with you 100%. On of my areas to investigate is the “feel” and “mechanical” player mindset. I like to calibrate distance by looking at the hole; will that translate to a 2D screen.
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

The testers and myself will go into this in a lot of detail as I know it's one of the biggest questions about it.  I can tell you in my playing around with it for a couple week now, it's the best I've ever seen at gauging putt speed.   I'll just leave that as a tease and you'll have to read the ongoing comments when they start up and the final reviews 🙂

• Like 7

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12