2020 Official Member Review: Exputt putting simulator

Our Sponsors

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

In talking with Mo, the mat doesn’t have to be straight-on from the camera. He said it can be at an angle. I haven’t tried it yet, though. I have had the ball take-off when doing a practice stroke, and when my daughter walked by. 

I registered some putts when my foot went across the mat.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am ready as well. Extra long hdmi cable in hand in case the supplied on isn’t long enough. Also devising my test strategy based on how I plan on using the device as well as how I think others woul

Once the testers started posting, it was quickly realized that there are a lot of different options with this product and each tester could go in different directions.   Based on this, the powers that

I am sure @Golfspy_CG2 will be mad at me because I didn't include any photos in this intro,  but its purpose is to get to know me and my initial impressions.   Trust me there will be lots of photos an

Posted Images

I recently acquired an EXPUTT and really enjoying it so far.

Have you had any misreads in your testing, as in you take a practice stroke next to the ball, without touching the ball and EXPUTT records it as put? 

This happened to me a half dozen times tonight.  It doesn't happen every time with a practice stroke but it happens.  I assumed EXPUTT recorded head and ball data independently, but it appears the head data has an effect on the ball data?  Any thoughts?

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Have you had any misreads in your testing, as in you take a practice stroke next to the ball, without touching the ball and EXPUTT records it as put? 

This happened to me a half dozen times tonight.  It doesn't happen every time with a practice stroke but it happens.  I assumed EXPUTT recorded head and ball data independently, but it appears the head data has an effect on the ball data?  Any thoughts?

I don't take a practice swing but I will do some experimenting.  What putter are you using?     

Can you explain what you mean by recording head data and ball data independently and that the head data has an effect on ball data???     When there isn't enough light on the mat,  I often only get ball data and no club data.   They could be measured independently and confirmed against each other.  Not really sure what you are asking. 

• Like 2

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The other seasons are definitely tougher.  They require more precise line and speed control because the pin positions are near slopes so if it is a little fast or a little slow the ball ends up way short or way long.    FALL is the same level that ExPutt used for their IG contest that was won with a score of 255; the 231 was really a tough score to achieve;  most of my FALL sessions are in the 215-230 range with a few "FAILS"

Been using the tougher levels to evaluate if you can use the ExPutt to work on green reading skills.   Full report on Challenge mode coming in the next day or so.  

1595687599_DSCN2586(Small).JPG.748718deff33d9a71c3d6323ffad7ef7.JPG

• Like 4

Tried again tonight and came up short of my best score so far. I actually holed more putts, overall, but fewer one-putts were “conceded”. I had about 8 holes in-a-row over 30’ with significant slopes! They threw some tough ones at me tonight! Jeez!!! I actually had a 12’ break at one point, downhill! Crazy.

01839E3B-0455-40DD-BDA6-7E208F881B88.jpeg

• Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The other seasons are definitely tougher.  They require more precise line and speed control because the pin positions are near slopes so if it is a little fast or a little slow the ball ends up way short or way long.    FALL is the same level that ExPutt used for their IG contest that was won with a score of 255; the 231 was really a tough score to achieve;  most of my FALL sessions are in the 215-230 range with a few "FAILS"

Been using the tougher levels to evaluate if you can use the ExPutt to work on green reading skills.   Full report on Challenge mode coming in the next day or so.  

1595687599_DSCN2586(Small).JPG.748718deff33d9a71c3d6323ffad7ef7.JPG

I tried winter for 2 holes, and after every putt was up a ridge, down a ridge, along the side of a ridge, and putts came back 9-10 feet, I shut it off. Crazy.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Hmmm. I haven't, but then I've made it a point to be careful after I set the ball on the ready zone .. any practice strokes are off the mat.

A misread obviously will skew your total putting data (and there's no delete last shot function).

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I had taken my putting mat out of the closet and laid down my SeeMore SPi putting mirror on it last night and hit about 75 putts, working on just the takeaway along the “natural arc” line that’s on the mirror. I decided to try that on the Exputt tonight in Practice mode. It worked for distance, but it didn’t give any face or path angle numbers. It was still beneficial for distance, and my putts were scattered like normal, so it did read speed of the head coming through the ball. I had to push the mirror back a bit so it wasn’t covering the white lines on the mat. Here’s a pic.

6BBAC046-A526-4A70-838E-B036A568D4D7.jpeg

• Like 5

Running thru another Challenge; past few days got a bit busy so this is only the second time using it for me, but doing much better than the first attempt!

• Like 5

On 7/31/2020 at 9:43 PM, Xfactor said:

Experimented with this today.   As long as the putter is swung outside the ball zone I didn't have an issue with the system recording a stroke.  When the putter got about 1/4 to 1/2 way into the zone it would pick it up.  

• Like 4

Challenge Mode

The next mode available in the ExPutt system is Challenge mode.  We have moved on from the straight putts in practice mode to being placed on a green with various slopes.  Since the last mode was straight putts, my expectation is that we add green reading skills during in Challenge mode.

In challenge mode you putt from 3 locations on 9 different greens and are scored based on your performance.  Scoring works as follows:

• From each location you 3 attempts to get putts inside of 3 feet.
  • If your first putt from the location is within 3’ you score 10 points, your second attempt gets you 5, your third 2 points, and if you don’t succeed you get 0.
  • If you make the putt you get a bonus of 3 points. 

From the main menu select challenge and then set the desired options.  As shown in the video below you can essentially set the green speed and the difficulty level.

Once you are in the challenge mode, the system places you at a location on the green and provides you with a topographic map of the green with colors representing heights (in inches), the putts distance, height of the hole relative to your location, and an overlay that indicates the slope of the green. 

Once the information is displayed on the screen you can get a hint that indicates how far right or left the putt will break and ball speed required.   You have the option to “crouch” down and see the putt at a lower level and adjust your perspective right/left to essentially make the putt straight (note, in the more difficult modes, you cannot always get the break to be 0.)

To add another level of difficulty, don’t display the hint and attempt to determine break and speed based on what you are seeing.   This is where the markings on the mat become more helpful.   You can move the ball left or right in the setup area to account for breaks in the 9-10’ range. 

588179843_DSCN2587(Small).png.4ef8de67e8e69b4217471905c8a9b7eb.png

After watching the second video, I noticed that my TV wasn’t that clear so hear are a couple of other videos showing Spring vs. Fall and how the greens are a bit more difficult.

Spring:

Fall:

Scoring is shown after completing each green and then at the end.

279066035_DSCN2585(Small).JPG.e3a05c145c4ec7a4c5d8a3b9bb8ae830.JPG

Thoughts:

• If just setting yourself to straight putts, there really isn’t a “challenge” and it becomes essentially a scored practice mode.  Other than having a score, practice mode is essentially the same.  Practice mode provides ratings and the ability to do analysis so there is a “scoring”/evaluation metric to measure improvement.  When I was setting everything to a straight putt and looking at the hint, I just made the stroke length that achieved recommended ball speed.   For me my chart was:

Length

Approximate Ball Speed

• Once I had the chart,  I could look at the hint and just adjust my feel/stroke length to meet the desired speed.   
  • Am I really reading a green, while I think uphill and downhill, I really have no reference for inches above or below me?  
  • Operating in 2D space doesn’t give me true depth perspective…a 20’ putt doesn’t really look like a 20’ putt.
  • Still can’t conclude if this is helping me read putts on the green.  Still need more evaluation of this on an actual green.  Perhaps if I used a topographical based green book that showed slopes.  Doesn't really work for aimpoint (that I can tell) due to the depth perception issue and that I don't know % of slope.  
  • After the scoring for a location is complete it would be nice to see your numbers vs.  the “hint” numbers.  This could help you learn if the problem is line or speed.
  • The hint doesn’t mean exact; I often found that slower speeds still got to the green and were holed. As we know there are multiple speed/line combinations that can hole a putt.      
  • Locations on the hole are random so just because 2 people are comparing scores, doesn’t mean that they had the same putts.
  • If you are a competitive type person, Challenge mode will provide you with the opportunity to try and beat your best score.  While the system doesn’t retain the scores,  it shouldn’t be too hard to remember.

Current thought on challenge mode is that unless I can figure out how to transfer green reading to the actual course,  I will primarily stay with practice mode to focus on distance control and use challenge mode just for a change of pace.  

• Like 6

OK broke 200 .. but just barely...

20200802_154139.jpg.496ad256ade3f4e080bf611e643b91f0.jpg

Started out ok, then faded a little on holes 4 to 7, then finished well - kinda like one of my real golf rounds 😄

Not sure I'll get time this evening to make another attempt, so this will have to be my (semi adequate) entry.

Note these Challenge scores are out of a theoretical max of 351 (9 holes x 3 positions on each hole x (10+3) points if you can hole every 1st putt).

• Like 9

Best I managed to do was a 249. Those 8 made putts ended up representing 10% of my score.

IMG_2146.JPG.638f5cc82415ac00f2c48d45dd431859.JPG

Here's a picture showing the amount of curve that the mat can get - the result is about 1" of curve over the full length (represented by 1/2" at the halfway point). Unfortunately I wasn't able to putt consistently enough to determine if it had an impact, but I'd imagine that it would.

IMG_2155.JPG.1004e676c39fb9d00e178136cc707a81.JPG

I also tried to find the limit of what the sensor can pick up. I couldn't get it to track any shots harder than 18 mph (it just wouldn't register). This was the longest putt I managed to record. Shows just how crazy that 139' putt that Michael Phelps holed was!

IMG_2156.JPG.9e98e7ce7aa90a19eb787b4e8739e825.JPG

• Like 9

Check out my review of the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: Torch 03 w/ GolfPride Tour SNSR Contour Pro grip

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

The mat's rubber backing may tend to conform to what its on top of .. so if the carpet is not smooth it's possible there may be some small bumps and dips that the rubber can't smooth out..?

I have not tried it yet, but I was thinking of putting a piece of plywood under mine.

OTOH .. small irregularities could make the putting more realistic 😉😄

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, hüskerdouken1423 said:

Does the surface under the putting mat matter? I just bought one of these the other day and my basement has thicker carpet that I was going to place this on.

To some extent it does.  Wood or low pile carpet are best.   I don't have anything really thick in my home so I can't test on that type of surface.  I would say as long as the mat doesn't move/flex when you place your putter on the surface you will be okay since you don't actually stand on the surface.

• Like 4

My final thoughts on challenge mode: I suspect this will be the least-used mode for me moving forward. Reading a green on a 2-dimensional screen is very difficult to do, and doesn't translate well to green reading on the course.

I think the largest benefit will be in being able to compare putt speeds up and down hill at any given green speed to a flat putt. Over the next week I plan to put together a chart that tracks ball speeds vs putt distance on different green speeds - once I have that I'll be able to see that, say for theoretical example, a 20' putt that goes downhill by 6" will play like a 16' putt on flat ground, and be able to adjust my putting stroke as necessary.

• Like 7

Check out my review of the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: Torch 03 w/ GolfPride Tour SNSR Contour Pro grip

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Thanks for the great job on the Challenge Mode guys.   If I kept track correctly this is the final order of finish.

CNosil  287

Gavinski 249

Pmooke 231

CkSurfDude 206

CG2         149 (however I didn't use the CHEAT Feature)  I read all the breaks myself...for whatever that is worth.   Actually it's Hint feature, but my fourth place finish justified me taking liberties with it. 

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

And CNosil celebrated with his best Phil Mickelson impersonation.

image.png

• Haha 8

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12