2020 Official Member Review: Exputt putting simulator

22 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

My biggest concern is distance control - how does perceived distance of a 2D image translate to a 3D world in which feel and perception are large drivers in the stroke. I know it has been mentioned, but thought I'd throw it out there again. I've played on a couple other full-game simulators over the years and short game seems the most difficult to simulate to me.

The testers and myself will go into this in a lot of detail as I know it's one of the biggest questions about it.  I can tell you in my playing around with it for a couple week now, it's the best I've ever seen at gauging putt speed.   I'll just leave that as a tease and you'll have to read the ongoing comments when they start up and the final reviews 🙂

• Like 7

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Well this is an all star group!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

18 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

My biggest concern is distance control - how does perceived distance of a 2D image translate to a 3D world in which feel and perception are large drivers in the stroke. I know it has been mentioned, but thought I'd throw it out there again. I've played on a couple other full-game simulators over the years and short game seems the most difficult to simulate to me.

I've had the same concern and am interested to see what it feels like. One thought I've had is wondering if this will change my approach to putting to be more like Bryson - pace out the putt so that you know the exact distance, and have swings associated with numerical distances (plus maybe a "plays like" to account for slope and green speed) rather than doing everything based off of feel. We all swing our irons based off of specific distances, knowing that a full swing with one club will go 165 yards, and a half swing with another club will go 95 yards, but when it comes to putting for most people I suspect it's all based on feel, and then rather than changing our swing we change how hard we hit the ball (keep in mind I'm speaking from a high-handicap perspective). This system I believe has the potential to radically change the way I approach putting.

• Like 5

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
4 Hybrid - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Mitsubishi MMT 80 S

Irons - :cobra-small:Radspeed 5-GW, KBS $-Taper Lite S
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

IWe all swing our irons based off of specific distances, knowing that a full swing with one club will go 165 yards, and a half swing with another club will go 95 yards, but when it comes to putting for most people I suspect it's all based on feel, and then rather than changing our swing we change how hard we hit the ball (keep in mind I'm speaking from a high-handicap perspective). This system I believe has the potential to radically change the way I approach putting.

My approach is a bit different. I control distance by length of stroke. I do think like swing to big toe, outside of back foot, hands to thigh, hands to outside of thigh. I calibrate the distance of those marks prior to the round.

I don’t think anyone is a 100% feel player, nor do I believe anyone is 100% mechanical. We all fall someplace within that spectrum.

My approach is more mechanical leaning, but still has a feel aspect for distances that aren’t in my stock measurements.
  • Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My ExPutt is on a FedEx truck in my city.....impatiently waiting.

• Like 7

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It's here, it's here!!!

Perhaps ironically we're running out to play (real 🌝) golf, so the ExPutt will get looked at later on.....

• Like 8
  • Love 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..MLA Tour XDream (33", +2up, 400g, P2 Reflex Tour)
.. .. see MLA Offical Forum Member Reviews (..on the bench: Evnroll ER5)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

I can't wait to follow along with this review!  I'll be curious what type of data you'll get out it in terms of your putter.  I wonder if you could almost do a putter fitting with it.  Also, does this allow you to compete with others?  Could all of you get online and have a putt off?

• Like 6

Driver: Taylormade SIM2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

2 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I can't wait to follow along with this review!  I'll be curious what type of data you'll get out it in terms of your putter.  I wonder if you could almost do a putter fitting with it.  Also, does this allow you to compete with others?  Could all of you get online and have a putt off?

Those are great questions .. and in a funny coincidence those same things are in my notes of things to look at! So.. we will see!!

And.. From just looking at a screenshot in their website, there do appear to be several putting stats displayed - so we'll also see what they are and how good they seem to be.....

• Like 7

..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

I like new toys!

To bad I have to go back to work and can’t really get it setup for a few more hours

IMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpgIMG_0545.jpg

That's a great looking setup and I think I would have had a hard time not coming down with golf-itis and staying home. Glad to hear you did the responsible thing. It'll be interesting to hear how easy it was to set up and calibrate (if you have to). Have fun with it and I can't wait to hear more!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

It is in my list of items to try;  Here is my current list of things to examine and experiment with🙂    Probably not legible,  but keep checking in and you will find out what all of this stuff says. 

image.png.aceb2924dfb26caf41c313f24dcadb67.png

• Like 7

My approach is a bit different. I control distance by length of stroke. I do think like swing to big toe, outside of back foot, hands to thigh, hands to outside of thigh. I calibrate the distance of those marks prior to the round.

I don’t think anyone is a 100% feel player, nor do I believe anyone is 100% mechanical. We all fall someplace within that spectrum.

My approach is more mechanical leaning, but still has a feel aspect for distances that aren’t in my stock measurements.

Oh I’m on the spectrum alright. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Mine arrived tonight as well! My back hurts from putting so long! The cord wasn’t long enough for me to get it set-up in a comfortable spot, so I moved our bed just so I could straddle the corner and try out the EXPUTT. Both my 13 year old, and 9 year old came in to the bedroom to play as well. I went through all three modes and it was fun!!!! Tomorrow’s goal is to find a LONG cord!!!!

Here are some pics. I have my hand in one of the pics so you can gauge the size of the camera and stand.

6A6462DA-AE92-4BF0-A8E9-231B8F0B7545.jpeg

C28D80C0-A497-48F3-A369-E619A37D85C0.jpeg

D46A011C-B52D-4A92-B348-B69D6566D15F.jpeg

2AECF896-8553-49EA-AA97-C9B7A29C15B8.jpeg

242946DD-27AA-4958-8C0C-E7FDE8C2970C.jpeg

7E5B2BB1-DC2B-43E1-A2A3-D5706B54A864.jpeg

• Like 9

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Just an FYI - the testers received a really nice email from one of the co-founders of ExPutt .. offering their direct support with any questions .. seems like they're truly interested in what we're doing here (eg. vs simply passing out product just to get the name out there).

Thought that was pretty cool.

• Like 9

Hooked mine up and putted for over an hour.

Same as CNosil, the cord is way too short for any TV we have in the house, so thankfully this was free and I’m not adding another $50-$60 to the purchase for a longer cord.

I also had issues when for periods of time the unit didn’t show putter path. 

When in game mode, and selecting the “?”And then the “H”, I never had anything change on screen with the H, and the putts didn’t read while ? was open. 
On the big side benders, with my putter turned 45*, it wouldn’t read the putt. I had to keep the putter face square, then putt way in-to-out/out-to-in which was not accurate putting at all.

Overall, VERY addicting. I’d love to see a drill set-up for improving my path and face angle at impact!!! Something with simulated pegged tees around my putter head where I could work on just takeaway and impact without caring about distance or holing anything.

Time to really read through the manual to better understand the “buttons” and options! Haahaha!!!!

• Like 8

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Can one of you guys grab a video of a putt and the info displayed on your screen?  Pretty please.

• Like 6

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)