TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you get used to a new putter?

jd1993

I'm getting a new putter that's in the process of shipping. When the new putter arrives (I was fit for it), what should I do to get used to the putter? Should I just do some drills and dedicate a few practice sessions to putting? Excited to play with my Evnroll ER7! 

If you haven’t played with an Evnroll before, you may find distance control to be an issue since the grooves reduce ball speed.

I personally would work on start line and distance control which is what you be practiced with any putter whether it is new or has been in your bag for years.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Its just going to take a little time.  Id recommend spending some time on the practice green or putting on your carpet at home to get a feel for it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I don’t, all putters with me are on borrowed time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Putt, putt and more putting. I have a putting machine in my basement for winter training. I'll putt 100-300 balls a night depending on how i'm feeling. Its great for getting to know the new feel of your new putter. Good luck, and expect some frustration on the course. Time is your friend.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

• 2 weeks later...

It took 5-8 rounds to get used to the softer insert on my new putter: practice helped, and my line was way better, but my speed was off. It just like a new grip or swing change, you might get worse before you get better, but it’ll be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I'll let you know as soon as I get use to my current one.  It's only been in the bag 32 years 🙂.  I would just do your normal putting practice routine and it will quickly show the subtleties from your current one and what adjustments will be needed. I tested the Evnroll's this past winter and liked it... but I need to get fitted.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 7/13/2020 at 12:14 PM, jd1993 said:

I'm getting a new putter that's in the process of shipping. When the new putter arrives (I was fit for it), what should I do to get used to the putter? Should I just do some drills and dedicate a few practice sessions to putting? Excited to play with my Evnroll ER7! 

Just my two pesos, but,,,,,,If you were fit for the putter, there should be little to no time to get used it. If you were going to a completely different style i.e mallet to 8802 then I could see taking some time,,,,

Don't worry about and just putt!!!!

But again, I could and have been wrong

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

On 7/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, cnosil said:

If you haven’t played with an Evnroll before, you may find distance control to be an issue since the grooves reduce ball speed.

I personally would work on start line and distance control which is what you be practiced with any putter whether it is new or has been in your bag for years.

Yeah I think from my testing the larger putter grip also helped in distance control (Super Stroke). I'd imagine it'll take a bit of getting used to like warming up with any club. Good idea on start line and distance control. Any good drills for distance control? 

On 7/13/2020 at 3:52 PM, ZenGolfer said:

Its just going to take a little time.  Id recommend spending some time on the practice green or putting on your carpet at home to get a feel for it.

Yes absolutely, maybe I'll putt into a cup.  

On 7/13/2020 at 6:40 PM, Jmikecpa said:

I don’t, all putters with me are on borrowed time.

Haha how many putters are in your collection?

On 7/13/2020 at 6:48 PM, StrawberryShortCake said:

Putt, putt and more putting. I have a putting machine in my basement for winter training. I'll putt 100-300 balls a night depending on how i'm feeling. Its great for getting to know the new feel of your new putter. Good luck, and expect some frustration on the course. Time is your friend.

Stupid question but what's a putting machine? 

On 7/23/2020 at 8:47 AM, RI_Redneck said:

Just practice putting like you would with your regular putter. EXCEPT..... don't use any other putter. As mentioned earlier, the Evnroll will give you slightly different speed feel. Using something else along with it will not work out. You have to commit to it.

BT

Yes it will be tough to not use my own putter. That said like you said I'll need to resist to get used to the new putter.

On 7/23/2020 at 4:17 PM, Micah T said:

It took 5-8 rounds to get used to the softer insert on my new putter: practice helped, and my line was way better, but my speed was off. It just like a new grip or swing change, you might get worse before you get better, but it’ll be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Good point, I'll keep those in mind. What helped you get used to the speed of the putter? 

On 7/23/2020 at 6:27 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I'll let you know as soon as I get use to my current one.  It's only been in the bag 32 years 🙂.  I would just do your normal putting practice routine and it will quickly show the subtleties from your current one and what adjustments will be needed. I tested the Evnroll's this past winter and liked it... but I need to get fitted.

Haha yes go get fit! The putter fitting was so cool! 

On 7/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, MadMex said:

Just my two pesos, but,,,,,,If you were fit for the putter, there should be little to no time to get used it. If you were going to a completely different style i.e mallet to 8802 then I could see taking some time,,,,

Don't worry about and just putt!!!!

But again, I could and have been wrong

That's a good point, both are mallets so I'm sure it's just a case of putting more with the putter and getting used to the distance control. 

5 minutes ago, jd1993 said:

. Any good drills for distance control? 

One of the best drills out there;  start at 55:34 and he will walk you through how it works.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, aerospace_ray said:

@cnosil Do you know what is name/brand of that putting mat in the video? thx

Of course I do 🙂    It is a Wellputt  https://us.wellputt.com/en/

7 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

I am already in dog house for the window, now I am really gonna get it. 😀 Thank You

If you are going to get in trouble,  why not go for this:  https://us.wellputt.com/en/p/32-big-tilt-platform.html#/5-mat_option-standard_mat_high_speed_stimp_10_115ft/8-warranty-1_year_limited_warranty/10-installation-assemble_the_big_tilt_platform_on_your_own/4-model-big_tilt_pro_max

Putting machine is one of those mats that return the ball when you drain the putt. Min has lines from 2 feet to 8 feet and I practice distance controll with it. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

Practice man. Living room carpet is your friend.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I picked up a used Ping putter and after regripping it and cleaning it up a wee bit I took only that club out to the practice putting green and only tried to sink 10 foot putts.  It was a great lesson on speed control and after about 1.5 hours the putts actually started to go in or rim out.

I took it to the course the next time out and was very pleased with the speed control and felt like anything under 10 feet could be sunk.  It's still in the bag.

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

I’m getting back into playing after about 7-8 years of not playing much and I’m messing around with all different types of putters at the moment.

Going for a fitting next week but I messed around again with the ER7 yesterday and I really really like it.

If I was just going to and picking a putter, that might be the one. Would definitely be top 3.