Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Poll: “Going to School” Putting Etiquette?

Middler

Golf to School  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your most common practice on going to school on the green?

• I stand still behind on or within a step of the line of another player, but far back to be out of sight
    • I stand still behind a couple steps away, and step in to watch only after the putt is on the way
    • I stand still completely away from the line and observe from afar, no attempt to get behind the line

I’ll admit it’s tempting, and I sometimes choose poll option 2, but I wonder if I should always be doing option 3 to satisfy the spirit of the etiquette rules? Yesterday in a friendly match I told another player he was welcome to stand behind my line to go to school, and he declined saying ‘thanks but no, I play in a lot of tournaments.’ And I don’t see pros “go to school” at all.

There is no penalty for standing behind a player as long as you’re still, but I assume we all know it violates the spirit of the etiquette section.

• Do not stand where you might distract a fellow player and don't move.
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Basic etiquette is not to stand on someone’s line; either the through line of behind a player while they are putting.

That said, It is perfectly acceptable to go to school on someone’s putt. What you see is players walking in after the putt has been struck.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Basic etiquette is not to stand on someone’s line; either the through line of behind a player while they are putting.

That said, It is perfectly acceptable to go to school on someone’s putt. What you see is players walking in after the putt has been struck.

The player will also do it himself as the ball rolls past the hole so they can get a read for what it’s going to do on their next putt 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The player will also do it himself as the ball rolls past the hole so they can get a read for what it’s going to do on their next putt 

That has nothing to do with etiquette though...

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

In general, I stay out of the way until the putt is moving, but the guy I play with most often and I will totally stay on the line and watch the whole putt - we've discussed whether it is a distraction and we are both fine with it.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, Middler said:

There is no penalty for standing behind a player as long as you’re still, but I assume we all know it violates the spirit of the etiquette section.

• Do not stand where you might distract a fellow player and don't move.

I disagree, standing off to the side of the line, and standing still while the player addresses and hits his putt is all that should ever be expected.  I have no problem with standing to one side of the line and stepping in once the ball is on its way, and no problem if someone does the same when I am putting.

And what we "should all know" is that, as of 2019, there is no Etiquette Section.  That doesn't mean you should feel free to act in any manner you choose.  Here is what you should feel required to do, under Section 1.2:

All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.

Taking good care of the course – for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

In general, I stay out of the way until the putt is moving, but the guy I play with most often and I will totally stay on the line and watch the whole putt - we've discussed whether it is a distraction and we are both fine with it.

This is fine as long as the two of you aren't Partners in some kind of competition format.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

This is fine as long as the two of you aren't Partners in some kind of competition format.

The most serious competition we have is against each other, no other real competition for either of us.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

It all depends on with whom I am playing.

If it is a stranger, then I stay away from their line.

Now my normal playing partners, yeah I am watching and learning from their putt all day long.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I disagree, standing off to the side of the line, and standing still while the player addresses and hits his putt is all that should ever be expected.  I have no problem with standing to one side of the line and stepping in once the ball is on its way, and no problem if someone does the same when I am putting.

And what we "should all know" is that, as of 2019, there is no Etiquette Section.  That doesn't mean you should feel free to act in any manner you choose.  Here is what you should feel required to do, under Section 1.2:

Thanks, that’s why I asked. I do play with people who as a courtesy still don’t step in for a look even with league friends, ran into one yesterday, even if it would be to their advantage. And thanks, I did not realize the etiquette guidance has been pared back so dramatically, sad IMO.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I've always asked if I'm going to stand behind the player.  And even when they say it is fine, I'm WAY behind them and perfectly still.   Generally though, I do the stay to the side (not moving) and as the putt is rolling I'll calmly walk behind to see more where it is breaking.  I may also read their putt as they are reading and choose a mark on the green that I'd have hit and see if they go above or below and see the results.  Can help me get the degree of the break without having to worry about standing behind. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

32 minutes ago, Middler said:

Thanks, that’s why I asked. I do play with people who as a courtesy still don’t step in for a look even with league friends, ran into one yesterday, even if it would be to their advantage. And thanks, I did not realize the etiquette guidance has been pared back so dramatically, sad IMO.

I think its important to remember that the old Etiquette section was all recommendations, nothing was required of a player.  There were no penalties for any violation of the Etiquette, short of a DQ by the Committee for a Serious Breach.  Under the 2019 Rules, the Committee can establish a Code of Conduct that could define and regulate certain Etiquette requirements, and institute stroke penalties for infractions.  So while the old rules may have outlined general good Etiquette, the new rules give the Committee some real teeth to define and enforce Etiquette requirements.

For those who don't have an old Rule Book handy, you can see the old rules here:

http://ruleshistory.com/rules2016.html

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

100% agree with @DaveP043 comment " standing off to the side of the line, and standing still while the player addresses and hits his putt is all that should ever be expected ". 

That is how I was taught by my mentors and the way I taught my boys. IMO that goes hand in hand with repairing ball marks, not walking in ones intended line of putt, etc. There are golfer over the years that I refuse to play with (unless forced pairing in a tournament) because they habitually walk across everyone's line of putt and don't repair ball marks (the ones they make -- I can get others that are obvious and I do but some won't even repair the ones they made). Other reasons too but not topic of this discussion. 

With my regular partners that's definitely  not an issue, we just have fun... sometimes we even putt simultaneously and see who gets it in...

During regular tournament play, I'll stay out of sight on the side and don't even bother walk after the putt has been hit. I rarely have the same putt as another player and looking from the side gives is enough info.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I saw a petty putting cheat I hadn’t seen in years yesterday, by a guy who’s pretty good judging by HI, and his cheat almost certainly didn’t help him putt - so why do it?

He always marked his ball on the green, and put his mark ahead of the ball, even a couple inches ahead a couple times. And you guessed it, when he put his ball down he put it just ahead of the mark, so he gained a couple inches on every putt. Hadn’t seen that petty cheat in a while. Sad.

He also made us move our marks if anywhere near his line, even when clearly not in his path. ???

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1