TESTERS WANTED! ×

Yards gained with new driver

Bimmerman

I have a 2017 2007 Cleveland HiBore XL 10.5, stiff shaft driver that I used to hit 270+. Now because I'm 69 I'm down to about 240 max. I'm looking for a new boom stick and am wondering how much yardage I can expect to gain due to improved technology?

Edited by Bimmerman
correct year of purchase

31 minutes ago, Bimmerman said:

I have a 2017 Cleveland HiBore XL 10.5, stiff shaft driver that I used to hit 270+. Now because I'm 69 I'm down to about 240 max. I'm looking for a new boom stick and am wondering how much yardage I can expect to gain due to improved technology?

Unfortunately, there are a  lot of factors involved which could results in anything from lost yardage to potentially 30+ yards.   It depends on how well the current driver fits your swing.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The new XXIO Driver has become very popular with the older crowd here at my club. Several of them have achieved substantial gains! It’s a very nice driver.

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

Probably an impossible question to answer. A lot will depend on why you've lost the distance, but driver technology by itself isn't going to get you much more than 5-10 yards absolute max. Might get you nothing. 

More than likely, your drop in distance is related to a drop in swing speed and getting fit for a new driver would likely put you into a different shaft and maybe a different loft that could get you some of those yards back but I doubt you will be able to get all the way back to 270. 

2 hours ago, Bimmerman said:

I have a 2017 Cleveland HiBore XL 10.5, stiff shaft driver that I used to hit 270+. Now because I'm 69 I'm down to about 240 max. I'm looking for a new boom stick and am wondering how much yardage I can expect to gain due to improved technology?

A couple of years back I was playing a Titleist 910, so it was around 6 years old.  Through a good fitting, using Trackman on an outdoor range, and having a solid selection of clubheads and a pretty good variety of aftermarket shafts to try, I gained maybe 10 to 15 yards in carry.  I'm 64 now, still carrying the ball 230 to 240.  The biggest gain came primarily from reducing spin and increasing launch angle.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, Bimmerman said:

If that club is a 2017 model, you have only had it 3 years or so.  That's a lot of yardage to lose that quickly, even in your sixties.  If that was a typo, and it is a 2007 model, then I would say it's time for a driver fitting.  Getting the right combo of shaft and head should give you some of that yardage back, but not all of it.  After all, you can't cheat father time.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 7/14/2020 at 2:50 PM, ChitownM2 said:

Probably an impossible question to answer. A lot will depend on why you've lost the distance, but driver technology by itself isn't going to get you much more than 5-10 yards absolute max. Might get you nothing. 

More than likely, your drop in distance is related to a drop in swing speed and getting fit for a new driver would likely put you into a different shaft and maybe a different loft that could get you some of those yards back but I doubt you will be able to get all the way back to 270. 

You're right -  most of the the lost distance is due to a slower swing speed.  A fitting is in order.

Thanks for the catch. Yes, it should have read "2007".  I realize I won't be able to gain it all back, but I'm hoping for another 10 - 20 yards from where I am now.
You're right. I do need to have a driver fitting done.

My wife and I were in for a fitting today - me for irons and her for a driver. She has a TM burner that's at least 10 years old, so it was time to look at options. She tried a number of drivers, including Sim, Mavrik, SZ, Ping, etc. what was interesting was that all but the Ping showed little to no performance difference in carry or dispersion to the burner. The one that came out on top was a Ping Plus with a men's senior flex 55g Alta shaft. She picked up 13 yds of carry. The fitter was amazed given that there was no increase in SS. Just goes to show the importance of a fitter whose not married to a brand or OEM commission perk. And that a proper fitting can yield results.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

My wife and I were in for a fitting today - me for irons and her for a driver. She has a TM burner that's at least 10 years old, so it was time to look at options. She tried a number of drivers, including Sim, Mavrik, SZ, Ping, etc. what was interesting was that all but the Ping showed little to no performance difference in carry or dispersion to the burner. The one that came out on top was a Ping Plus with a men's senior flex 55g Alta shaft. She picked up 13 yds of carry. The fitter was amazed given that there was no increase in SS. Just goes to show the importance of a fitter whose not married to a brand or OEM commission perk. And that a proper fitting can yield results.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That is awesome you got good fitter and wow, I bet the wife is happy - 13 yards more carry is impressive. 

6 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

That is awesome you got good fitter and wow, I bet the wife is happy - 13 yards more carry is impressive. 

I second that!

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

I can’t emphasize enough now much difference the right shaft makes - I was late to this realization, always searching for the magic driver head, but while waiting for a couple of clubs to be regripped at a Golfmart I messed around with the drivers on their launch monitor. Some of them went nowhere (the cobra speedzone, which I was keen to try, was giving me low flight and no distance with the stock stiff shaft), but the epic flash sz was going miles. Out of curiosity, I asked the guy there to put that shaft in a couple other heads, and got the same great numbers (and not a great deal of difference between low spin and regular models). Picked up a used epic flash with that Tensei blue shaft and I am hitting longer and straighter than ever.
On a side note, I also found out that the ball you use makes a lot more of a difference to distance that I ever thought (the tp5x adds 5-10 yards to all but my short irons, and spins comparably with wedges)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

Hey doctor, I have the tense blue in two drivers and two fairways.  It’s a great shaft for me.

Cobra F8 Driver, 3W and 5W.....this is my longest driver, but I get too much fade and it gets me in trouble.  The fairways are golden, I changed the loft on the 3W from 14.5 to 16 and the 5W from 18.5 to 20.  Wow what a difference that made, I actually gained distance and stay in the fairway.

Tour Edge Exotics EXS with tense blue has increased my FIR’s from 53% to 65%....and that helps me score!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder