Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

So I did an iron fitting today...

ncwoz

So I did an iron fitting at Club Champion today, fully knowing I would not walk out ordering anything the same day. (And I actually managed it too!) I wanted to throw this up on a thread and see what some of your thoughts are, and maybe convince someone to get fit for themselves as well.

I got fit at Club Champion in Grand Rapids, MI, with Jackson. They use Trackman, and had me warm up by hitting a few balls. After I was warmed up, he had me hit a few balls with my current gamer (Ping Eye 2) 6 iron. I was getting smash factor around 1.23, and he said he was trying to get it up around tour average, 1.38. I typically hit my 6i about 170-175 with a ~5yard draw. My usual miss is a toey pull hook that goes way left.

I came in with basically no expectations of what would fit me well, nor much of a preference in any particular style or look. I was just hoping to see what kind of a head and shaft combo would work best with my swing.

We tried a few shafts until we got to something we liked (started out in a heavier KBS Tour I believe, but we tried a lot so it's hard to remember exactly). After some inconsistent results from a few different shafts, I tried the Nippon 1150GH Taper, X-stiff. This was the first time I had really swung different shafts in close succession, and I was super surprised at how different they felt and performed. Something about the 1150GH just seemed to work better with my swing, and the results were supporting the feel. He gave me +1/4" length and it really clicked.

Once we had the shaft narrowed down, we starting going for heads. I was still pretty inefficient in the i200, high spin killing distance and not a great dispersion either. We tried probably 7 or 8, and the three that initially stood out were: Mizuno MP20 HMB, Callaway Apex, and Titleist T200. At some point in there, he wanted to have me try out the P790, but the adapter had sheared earlier in the day. He went back and got it epoxied up, and we dialed in the lie angle while the epoxy set. We went 1* upright, which had me surprised because of my left miss. When I asked, he said that was to get me back hitting the center, because he felt shortening the shaft wasn't going to work for me. Sure enough, that helped me find center more and actually straightened me out more with some increased efficiency.

At that point, the T200's seemed to be falling back, and the HMB's felt like they might have been slightly pulling ahead. Each of the 3 were carrying roughly 190. By this time the P790 was ready to go, and from the get-go I absolutely smoked it. Outside of one dead push and one I turned over a bit much, I was hitting them straighter than anything else all day, and 200+ carry. I asked him what each loft was at, and I'm 95% sure he said they had all been bent to 27*. The P790's seemed to stand a head above the rest, and that's where we settled: P790's; 1* upright; Nippon 1150GH X-stiff, +1/4".

He totaled it up for me and, including the $100 fitting and $13 per club upgrade for Sonar+ grips, landed at $1,977.19. To be frank, I'm not ready to drop almost $2k on a new iron set. Now that I'm home, it seems like the shaft is a little less common from what I can find. But there's absolutely no denying, I'm leaving a lot of strokes on the course with my current gamers.

SO. What say you? Do you think I should bite the bullet and go for the set he recommended? Try to scrounge for components myself? Find another similar composition from someone like Sub70 or Maltby? Anything in the fitting that seems questionable to you? Another note, I haven't seen the Trackman data posted yet. Not sure if that's something they automatically or not, but I shot him a message hoping he can upload them yet.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

15 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

SO. What say you? Do you think I should bite the bullet and go for the set he recommended? Try to scrounge for components myself? Find another similar composition from someone like Sub70 or Maltby? Anything in the fitting that seems questionable to you? Another note, I haven't seen the Trackman data posted yet. Not sure if that's something they automatically or not, but I shot him a message hoping he can upload them yet.

2000$ is a lot of money to spend on irons, I don't know too many guys who have spend 2000 dollars on all their equipment. What was the price on the mizunos? Was it even close in comparison. P790s are not cheap to start with! I guess its up to you and your finances I don't know what you have in the bank and what you have for expenses. Me personally 1400$ maxes out my budget for irons. How serious do you take your golf game? 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

If it were me, I would buy the P790s on ebay, reshaft them myself, and then take them in to get bent.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

2000$ is a lot of money to spend on irons, I don't know too many guys who have spend 2000 dollars on all their equipment. What was the price on the mizunos? Was it even close in comparison. P790s are not cheap to start with! I guess its up to you and your finances I don't know what you have in the bank and what you have for expenses. Me personally 1400$ maxes out my budget for irons. How serious do you take your golf game? 

Yeah, $2,000 is comfortably over my price range for sure. He didn't quote out the Mizuno's, but they definitely have some margin baked into their pricing. I think the biggest factor is the shafts, since they aren't offered by Taylormade. He said Club Champion basically puts labor of install into the shaft pricing, which came out to ~$60 a shaft. I believe there was some margin baked into grips too, maybe even in the heads as well.

I wonder if anyone else has experience with Club Champion pricing being steep, or if it's circumstantial with my set?

Right Handed

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

WITB thread here

14 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Yeah, $2,000 is comfortably over my price range for sure. He didn't quote out the Mizuno's, but they definitely have some margin baked into their pricing. I think the biggest factor is the shafts, since they aren't offered by Taylormade. He said Club Champion basically puts labor of install into the shaft pricing, which came out to ~$60 a shaft. I believe there was some margin baked into grips too, maybe even in the heads as well.

I wonder if anyone else has experience with Club Champion pricing being steep, or if it's circumstantial with my set?

Yeah, their pricing is steep. I’ve never bought anything through them, I’ve always shopped around since I had the specs I needed. Places like Discount Dan’s will pretty much beat anyone’s price, and it’s always good to reach-out and at least get a quote. Just be specific about shaft, grip, etc. I buy my grips and install them myself. I always ask for the irons built with ANY stock grip, then pull them off, use their tape, and put the grips I want on instead. I would never buy used, then try to then get shafts, grips, etc, and pay for the construction. Buy through a retailer, have the OEM build to spec, and at least you have something with a warranty. Good luck. Just about any set of irons now, unless they’re being discontinued, will be $1200.... If you skimp now, you’ll regret it later, and have spent money that you can’t get back. Buy what fits best, but shop!!!

Here’s the website. https://www.discountdansgolf.com

Just send an email with the specs, or call. They’ll respond within an hour or so of getting the email. I’ve bought three sets of irons through them. Great guys! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Did you only hit 6 irons? I had a similar experience with p790s, but it gave me issues with gapping at both ends of my bag. I got so excited by the distance I was hitting a 7 iron, the only one I hit in the fitting at a Golfmart, but the reality on the course with a full set of clubs and a range of distances to dial in didn’t work so I took them back. Will you get a chance to hit all the irons? The stock shaft in the p790 Is limited to one option, so I ended up testing Mizuno v Srixon, which have a ton of shaft and grip options at no upcharge.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

I got fitted for a new Driver shaft(Tensei Pro white 60 TX) for my G410 plus at my local CC on 6/6: still waiting on that shaft as of today...

That is not a knock on the fitter: he’s a good dude and was very thorough with my fitting. I can’t wait to post my findings once I have it and have gamed it for 20 rounds, but I placed that order over a month ago...
So... if those custom shafts are coming from japan like mine is, you can expect a 60 day wait minimum.

So, if you wanna blow 2k on an iron set you might not get til September...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

6 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I got fitted for a new Driver shaft(Tensei Pro white 60 TX) for my G410 plus at my local CC on 6/6: still waiting on that shaft as of today...

That is not a knock on the fitter: he’s a good dude and was very thorough with my fitting. I can’t wait to post my findings once I have it and have gamed it for 20 rounds, but I placed that order over a month ago...
So... if those custom shafts are coming from japan like mine is, you can expect a 60 day wait minimum.

So, if you wanna blow 2k on an iron set you might not get til September...

Man that's frustrating to have to wait that long for an order. I know my fitter mentioned they're way behind too, basically trying to catch up on 3 months worth of orders all jammed into 1, with suppliers working with partial staffs on top of it.

Right Handed

WITB thread here

15 minutes ago, doctorgriffo said:

Did you only hit 6 irons? I had a similar experience with p790s, but it gave me issues with gapping at both ends of my bag. I got so excited by the distance I was hitting a 7 iron, the only one I hit in the fitting at a Golfmart, but the reality on the course with a full set of clubs and a range of distances to dial in didn’t work so I took them back. Will you get a chance to hit all the irons? The stock shaft in the p790 Is limited to one option, so I ended up testing Mizuno v Srixon, which have a ton of shaft and grip options at no upcharge.

Yeah, only hit 6 irons. That'd be a concern of mine as well, but I do have some room to add in a wedge if needed. It was nice to hit the 6i far, but for me I'm mostly trying to get more consistency out of my next set, and that's where I was most importantly impressed with the P790s

Right Handed

WITB thread here

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Yeah, their pricing is steep. I’ve never bought anything through them, I’ve always shopped around since I had the specs I needed. Places like Discount Dan’s will pretty much beat anyone’s price, and it’s always good to reach-out and at least get a quote. Just be specific about shaft, grip, etc. I buy my grips and install them myself. I always ask for the irons built with ANY stock grip, then pull them off, use their tape, and put the grips I want on instead. I would never buy used, then try to then get shafts, grips, etc, and pay for the construction. Buy through a retailer, have the OEM build to spec, and at least you have something with a warranty. Good luck. Just about any set of irons now, unless they’re being discontinued, will be $1200.... If you skimp now, you’ll regret it later, and have spent money that you can’t get back. Buy what fits best, but shop!!!

Here’s the website. https://www.discountdansgolf.com

Just send an email with the specs, or call. They’ll respond within an hour or so of getting the email. I’ve bought three sets of irons through them. Great guys! 

Thanks for passing the name along! 👊That's a new one for me

Right Handed

WITB thread here

Looks like you got a free 6 iron fitting which is nice of them.  A full fitting would be worth it with them if you wanted to make sure you get all your iron distance gapping correct.  Although I think with your clubhead speed you can easily get 90% of the improvement just buying say the P790, or a combo set of sorts.  Ping Eye 2's are just way behind the times.  Those came out more than 40 years ago.  While iron's don't change all that much, they have improved massively over 40 years. 

I love blades.

Man that's frustrating to have to wait that long for an order. I know my fitter mentioned they're way behind too, basically trying to catch up on 3 months worth of orders all jammed into 1, with suppliers working with partial staffs on top of it.

Pretty much: I should mention that if you’re shafts are “in stock” at the CC headquarters in Chicago it shouldn’t be that long, but if they’re placing your order with an overseas manufacturer...

I’ll just say I’ve gotten pretty good with my 3 wood all of a sudden

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

4 hours ago, ncwoz said:

So I did an iron fitting at Club Champion today, fully knowing I would not walk out ordering anything the same day. (And I actually managed it too!) I wanted to throw this up on a thread and see what some of your thoughts are, and maybe convince someone to get fit for themselves as well.

I got fit at Club Champion in Grand Rapids, MI, with Jackson. They use Trackman, and had me warm up by hitting a few balls. After I was warmed up, he had me hit a few balls with my current gamer (Ping Eye 2) 6 iron. I was getting smash factor around 1.23, and he said he was trying to get it up around tour average, 1.38. I typically hit my 6i about 170-175 with a ~5yard draw. My usual miss is a toey pull hook that goes way left.

I came in with basically no expectations of what would fit me well, nor much of a preference in any particular style or look. I was just hoping to see what kind of a head and shaft combo would work best with my swing.

We tried a few shafts until we got to something we liked (started out in a heavier KBS Tour I believe, but we tried a lot so it's hard to remember exactly). After some inconsistent results from a few different shafts, I tried the Nippon 1150GH Taper, X-stiff. This was the first time I had really swung different shafts in close succession, and I was super surprised at how different they felt and performed. Something about the 1150GH just seemed to work better with my swing, and the results were supporting the feel. He gave me +1/4" length and it really clicked.

Once we had the shaft narrowed down, we starting going for heads. I was still pretty inefficient in the i200, high spin killing distance and not a great dispersion either. We tried probably 7 or 8, and the three that initially stood out were: Mizuno MP20 HMB, Callaway Apex, and Titleist T200. At some point in there, he wanted to have me try out the P790, but the adapter had sheared earlier in the day. He went back and got it epoxied up, and we dialed in the lie angle while the epoxy set. We went 1* upright, which had me surprised because of my left miss. When I asked, he said that was to get me back hitting the center, because he felt shortening the shaft wasn't going to work for me. Sure enough, that helped me find center more and actually straightened me out more with some increased efficiency.

At that point, the T200's seemed to be falling back, and the HMB's felt like they might have been slightly pulling ahead. Each of the 3 were carrying roughly 190. By this time the P790 was ready to go, and from the get-go I absolutely smoked it. Outside of one dead push and one I turned over a bit much, I was hitting them straighter than anything else all day, and 200+ carry. I asked him what each loft was at, and I'm 95% sure he said they had all been bent to 27*. The P790's seemed to stand a head above the rest, and that's where we settled: P790's; 1* upright; Nippon 1150GH X-stiff, +1/4".

He totaled it up for me and, including the $100 fitting and $13 per club upgrade for Sonar+ grips, landed at $1,977.19. To be frank, I'm not ready to drop almost $2k on a new iron set. Now that I'm home, it seems like the shaft is a little less common from what I can find. But there's absolutely no denying, I'm leaving a lot of strokes on the course with my current gamers.

Thank you for the excellent details of your fitting experience.

I think you should get things in place to purchase a fitted, well made set of P790's. 

But if it were me and I could test another DTC brand/like model club head with same shaft/fitted to specs then that would be awesome. Might be key discriminator in deciding whether to go all in on an well made, yet expensive set.... 

Regarding Sub70 and several other like DTC brands and components my only concern would be could I test first? And would the test clubs be close enough to what you were fitted for at CC? Would that test club have like shaft/grip/specs?

I very much like the Sub70 and they have great reviews and golfers give high praise to their customer service but at the end of the day, your clubs have to fit and feel right to you. 

Question. Did you get to hit other P790 clubs or just the fitting club/#6 iron?

28 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

Regarding Sub70 and several other like DTC brands and components my only concern would be could I test first? And would the test clubs be close enough to what you were fitted for at CC? Would that test club have like shaft/grip/specs?

I think it would be worth your time to check out the Sub70 699s or 699 Pros. Sub 70 does a test option, $120s they send you a 6 and a 9 iron for you to test. When you return them, they refund $100. 

Also, just FYI from the Sub70 pre-owned list :

699 5-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH Stiff Std Lamkin Players Cord Std Grip Very Good $349

$349 is a lot better than $1950

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

5 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Fairly certain those shafts come at no upcharge from Mizuno. I was fitted for irons at Club Champion this spring and paid $875 for the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4 - PW). They were discounted since they are releasing the new JPX models later this summer/fall. You can go onto Mizuno's website and see the different shaft options. HMBs, would probably be closer to $1,300.

If you're hitting those P790s that far, you might be able to save a bit by not getting the 4 iron or even the 5 iron. 

I had a great fitting experience at CC, but I never received my Trackman data which was a bit frustrating. 

8 hours ago, dlow206 said:

If it were me, I would buy the P790s on ebay, reshaft them myself, and then take them in to get bent.

Same here. I heard Club Champion likes to put some ''extra sauce'' on the price tag.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

3 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I think it would be worth your time to check out the Sub70 699s or 699 Pros. Sub 70 does a test option, $120s they send you a 6 and a 9 iron for you to test. When you return them, they refund $100. 

699 5-PW Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH Stiff Std Lamkin Players Cord Std Grip Very Good $349

The price is way better but I think it is fair to say Nippon N.S. Pro 1050 GH and 1150GH shafts are noticably different, hence they may not produce the same result.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

5 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Thank you for the excellent details of your fitting experience.

I think you should get things in place to purchase a fitted, well made set of P790's. 

But if it were me and I could test another DTC brand/like model club head with same shaft/fitted to specs then that would be awesome. Might be key discriminator in deciding whether to go all in on an well made, yet expensive set.... 

I very much like the Sub70 and they have great reviews and golfers give high praise to their customer service but at the end of the day, your clubs have to fit and feel right to you. 

Question. Did you get to hit other P790 clubs or just the fitting club/#6 iron?

I totally agree, it's been really the only thing holding me back from nabbing something DTC.

And just the fitting club. I didn't really think to ask otherwise, but I got the impression that's all they had to seeing with.

Right Handed

WITB thread here

5 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Haha almost the first thing I did when I got home was check Sub70's pre-owned, and almost jumped on those immediately! Only thing is they're stiff instead of X-stiff, and one weight jump down, otherwise they might be on their way to my place as we speak lol.

Right Handed

WITB thread here

4 hours ago, mchiller said:

Fairly certain those shafts come at no upcharge from Mizuno. I was fitted for irons at Club Champion this spring and paid $875 for the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4 - PW). They were discounted since they are releasing the new JPX models later this summer/fall. You can go onto Mizuno's website and see the different shaft options. HMBs, would probably be closer to $1,300.

If you're hitting those P790s that far, you might be able to save a bit by not getting the 4 iron or even the 5 iron. 

I had a great fitting experience at CC, but I never received my Trackman data which was a bit frustrating. 

That's a really good point, and I was hitting the Mizuno's really well so I'm definitely not opposed.

And I totally agree, it seems like it would be common sense to throw the Trackman data up there. I can't imagine it's all that much more work on their end.

Right Handed

WITB thread here

After some back and forth, I never ended up with my TM data from my last fitting either (not Club Champion). He tried, but something didn't get associated with my account correctly.

I'll echo @PMookie's advice for you to reach out to Discount Dan's. If that shaft is an option in the P790s, they will have the best price for the set.

You certainly could try to do something with Sub70 or Maltby (probably the TS-1s - specs seem to be the closest), but you do take the risk of them not working the same for you. Of course, with Golfworks you could have them build a single 6 iron as a tester, but then you're out ~$100 just to test a single iron. Having them built by them isn't going to be the cheap route, either.

As @dlow206 mentions, you could go the DIY route as the shafts are not particularly expensive. But then you're going to need some space and a basic set of tools.

Sounds like you had a good fitting and definitely have a lot to consider. I wouldn't pay the Club Champion price, if it were up to me. But if those 1150s are not available as an option, DIY or CC might be your only way.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Looking at TM site those shafts aren’t offered so you are paying for the aftermarket price. The p790s are $1200ish for 4-p if everything is stock. Plus you pay the build price for CC services.

As been mentioned you could get the specs from CC for your lie and length and source everything yourself and build or have built but depending on the route you go you may only end up saving a couple hundred doing it that way of everything is new.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 minutes ago, edingc said:

After some back and forth, I never ended up with my TM data from my last fitting either (not Club Champion). He tried, but something didn't get associated with my account correctly.

I'll echo @PMookie's advice for you to reach out to Discount Dan's. If that shaft is an option in the P790s, they will have the best price for the set.

You certainly could try to do something with Sub70 or Maltby (probably the TS-1s - specs seem to be the closest), but you do take the risk of them not working the same for you. Of course, with Golfworks you could have them build a single 6 iron as a tester, but then you're out ~$100 just to test a single iron. Having them built by them isn't going to be the cheap route, either.

As @dlow206 mentions, you could go the DIY route as the shafts are not particularly expensive. But then you're going to need some space and a basic set of tools.

Sounds like you had a good fitting and definitely have a lot to consider. I wouldn't pay the Club Champion price, if it were up to me. But if those 1150s are not available as an option, DIY or CC might be your only way.

I was really hoping I'd get fit into a super common shaft and wouldn't need to worry about tracking something down haha. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the Sub70 or Maltby route (which I kind of was from the get-go anyway) and building/getting something built as close as I can to the set I was fit to. The only thing I know for sure is I'm not going through CC with how much they've marked it up. 

Right Handed

WITB thread here

I was really hoping I'd get fit into a super common shaft and wouldn't need to worry about tracking something down haha. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the Sub70 or Maltby route (which I kind of was from the get-go anyway) and building/getting something built as close as I can to the set I was fit to. The only thing I know for sure is I'm not going through CC with how much they've marked it up. 

Were any other shafts close in comparison to the recommended shaft. You could also reach out to CC to see what a more common alternative might be.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Were any other shafts close in comparison to the recommended shaft. You could also reach out to CC to see what a more common alternative might be.

That's a great question. He mentioned one during the fit he thought could be an alternative, but I'll have to check back with him to see what it was.

Right Handed

WITB thread here

P790s were introduced in August of 2019.  https://golf.com/gear/irons/first-look-taylormade-p790-p790ti-p790udi-irons/  When is TaylorMade coming out with a replacement.  If in August, these irons could be on sale soon.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

Another thought.  Did you try the P790s with stock shafts?  How much different were they than the ones with upgraded shafts?  Could you get the P790s with stock shafts now and upgrade the shafts later - divide your purchase into two - maybe a birthday present and a Christmas present.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

24 minutes ago, HAC said:

P790s were introduced in August of 2019.  https://golf.com/gear/irons/first-look-taylormade-p790-p790ti-p790udi-irons/  When is TaylorMade coming out with a replacement.  If in August, these irons could be on sale soon.

TaylorMade has been on 2 year cycles with their p series irons. The original p790 came out in 2017 so the next iteration won’t be til next year. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, HAC said:

Another thought.  Did you try the P790s with stock shafts?  How much different were they than the ones with upgraded shafts?  Could you get the P790s with stock shafts now and upgrade the shafts later - divide your purchase into two - maybe a birthday present and a Christmas present.

Certainly a good thought, but Club Champion just goes through all the shafts they have in whatever order makes sense in the fitting as I understand it. And I don't even remember exactly which shafts we tried unfortunately.

Right Handed

WITB thread here

On 7/15/2020 at 10:23 PM, ncwoz said:

Certainly a good thought, but Club Champion just goes through all the shafts they have in whatever order makes sense in the fitting as I understand it. And I don't even remember exactly which shafts we tried unfortunately.

I did an iron fitting with Jackson at CC in January.  Didn’t have me try a standard shaft either.  I went to a local shop (MH) when they had Callaway in for demo day and they fit me in a no up charge shaft (they had the CC suggestion for comparison even).  Paid $850 vs $1500 with identical numbers.  They do a good job, but they are fans of the shaft up charge and my budget doesn’t support that. 
Good luck with the search

PXG gen2X, 10.5, Adila NV nxt 65s

Tour Edge CBX 3t 16.5, HZDUS Yellow 6.0S

3&4 hybrid Cobra AmpCell S shaft

5-PW Callaway Mavrik Pro, Project X LZ 105 6.0

GW&SW Cobra AmpCell TT Dynalite 90 S

60 Bettinardi forged, TT Gold S200

Srixon ZStar