TESTERS WANTED! ×

So I did an iron fitting today...

ncwoz

@ncwoz here comes an explanation hold on a second I’m going to break into 2 parts... and you are very welcome... MGS is about community and helping out... Fitting is crucial to improvement... Club champion does a lot of great things however their fitters are under pressure and it’s not their fault 100% but when the company sells to private equity that’s bound to happen...

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

20 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

First of all, WOW. Thank you so much for all the time and thought you put into these posts, I am extremely grateful and humbled that you were willing to offer your knowledge and thorough information, especially to a stranger literally across the country!

That all makes really good sense to me, again, seriously thank you for going into the depth both on my swing and on the potential variables and directions to try out for clubs. I think the only thing I lost you on was the getting to 90° at the top, and that Tiger is getting 120°. What angle are you referring to there?

I almost feel bad asking for your thoughts on my driver and 3w, but you obviously know your stuff extremely well and I think I'd be silly not to take you up on at least your hunches of good directions to seek out. I have the Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft in my driver (R9 SuperTri 9.5°) and the Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff in my 3W (15° X2 Hot). I bought both of them before I knew of MGS, and at that point I'm not even sure I knew that extra stiff shafts existed, let alone that I might need one. I'm sure the stiffness incompatibility doesn't help either of them, but I'm not sure if I could really well discern which shaft I like better. The Aldila feels like the head gets a little loose on me if that makes sense, but the Fujikura feels like it's pretty light. I'll be honest with you though, I've not swung a ton of different shafts so I don't have much to compare to and am mostly just trying to give you as much info as I can.

Again, thank you @Manimal26 for your time and willingness to impart your expertise! I think if I lived anywhere near Fort Worth I'd be headed your way for a fitting in person!

@ncwoz I’ll address the hand angles first...

82C59C55-3970-416B-BCD1-931AB755C00E.jpeg.c9b28ac84660f79c337b99bc9c7797ac.jpeg

here is someone who had a similar back swing that mirrors you and here is the same person after working on their hand depth... down the line is hard to see so I’ll include a head on as well, but hopefully you can see how everything is more inline and on plane...

94EA4EA2-D4BB-4278-94C9-9347F7F67CBE.jpeg.b354457b7ac85ae783f17b0ff6517c15.jpeg 

Here is the head on... if you look at the angle created on the left it’s 90ish and the one on the right is 120ish... at this angle the club has to travel much farther because the club actually make a sort of loop and lag is created... you could maybe take that hybrid speed from 108mph to maybe as high as 115mph+ Just because the club has to travel further... Hence why they say longer drivers go farther... 

does this make sense? 

12 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Oh man, now you've got me digging into the memory banks a bit;) That was actually another thing I wasn't super impressed by the fitter with, he didn't really even say which heads we were going to try. Not sure why I didn't just ask or look myself, I guess I just got caught up in the moment.

I know for sure I also hit the Apex (forged I think), i500s, MP20 HMBs, and I think also the T200s. There were probably another two or three heads I'm forgetting/didn't register the day of as well.

Seeing all the hardware these places have on the walls would make it easy to get "caught up in the moment".  I suspect most of the better fitters can place clients into a club category range pretty quickly and just tend to jump right to the more popular mfg's/models.  It would seem like they should provide a full print out of all shot data for the final combinations.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, ncwoz said:

I have the Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft in my driver (R9 SuperTri 9.5°) and the Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff in my 3W (15° X2 Hot). I bought both of them before I knew of MGS, and at that point I'm not even sure I knew that extra stiff shafts existed, let alone that I might need one. I'm sure the stiffness incompatibility doesn't help either of them, but I'm not sure if I could really well discern which shaft I like better. The Aldila feels like the head gets a little loose on me if that makes sense, but the Fujikura feels like it's pretty light.

@ncwoz I am by no means an expert... I just try to study and learn everyday and help people as much as possible...

Driver / 3W are two critical clubs but it depends on how you use them along with how well you strike them... I’ll address driver than the metal wood...

Driver: I’d be willing to guess this is where your 2 way miss occurs the most... the driver you have is very unforgiving not just from a technology perspective but 9.5 degree of loft requires you to hit up much more on the ball than a 12 or 10.5... because you stand up a little and if you have been told get behind the ball you end up leaning back which flings the face wide open and you get the wicked slice instead you release the club early and you get the dreaded hook... I personally use a 10.5 SIM in neutral setting weight all the way in the tie which allows me to hit monster cuts and it allows me to fairway find on easy push draws since I don’t have to hit up as much... I’d find a used m2/m1 or m4/m3 in 10.5  or something around those lines and stick that Fujikura In it if it’s adjustable tip can’t remember at this moment... that motre f1 is a solid shaft from 10 years ago or so and they just rereleased a new version... that being said I would need to see some ball data to go from there, but guessing you might want more height out of the ball so I’d see if anyone on here is selling a Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro blue 60TX and or 70TX... also check eBay but ask for the serial number under the grip so you can check if it’s real...

Metal Wood slot: first the head feeling a little loose makes sense... the Aldila tour green is a fantastic driver shaft but does not always work well in a fairway wood... I can explain and let me know if you want to know why... This is huge do you use it as a tee club and off the deck or just the tee or deck? I use mine almost always off the deck. Short par 4’s Or extreme dog legs I’d rather hit a 4i or 2i. If you are using it for both you generate enough speed but I’d save some money and get the Mitsubishi Tensei Av blue 75x... actually from a price perspective the Av would be good for the driver too... the aluminum vapor is lighter that the dupoint Kevlar in the handle and reduces the counter balancing effect which would be good for your 3W... these are both mid launch mid spin profiles but plenty of tour players have these and shafts like them... another combo would be the graphite design tour AD-BB 6x/7x... you can find used BB’s pretty reasonable... those are just guesses I’d be curious to get your feedback after trying them... I actually sell more Titleist 4W and other OEM’s 5W than 3W... 3W is one of the most challenging deck clubs to use for anyone at any skill level... adding the loft and shortening the club tends to help people find the middle more often.... 

3 hours ago, EEZurg said:

I'm lost....all the "extra distance" someone went.....best feeling 4-PW.....Callaway cheaper so I went that way.  

Not distance is metres, distance in service. None of the other centres suggested a mixed set.  And yes I had set a $1000 budget and was happy to go slightly over however by the time I added a Mizuno Hybrid the price was $1680 and I was not prepared to pay that much.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

6 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@ncwoz I’ll address the hand angles first...

82C59C55-3970-416B-BCD1-931AB755C00E.jpeg.c9b28ac84660f79c337b99bc9c7797ac.jpeg

here is someone who had a similar back swing that mirrors you and here is the same person after working on their hand depth... down the line is hard to see so I’ll include a head on as well, but hopefully you can see how everything is more inline and on plane...

94EA4EA2-D4BB-4278-94C9-9347F7F67CBE.jpeg.b354457b7ac85ae783f17b0ff6517c15.jpeg 

Here is the head on... if you look at the angle created on the left it’s 90ish and the one on the right is 120ish... at this angle the club has to travel much farther because the club actually make a sort of loop and lag is created... you could maybe take that hybrid speed from 108mph to maybe as high as 115mph+ Just because the club has to travel further... Hence why they say longer drivers go farther... 

does this make sense? 

Ahh, okay yep that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

5 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@ncwoz I am by no means an expert... I just try to study and learn everyday and help people as much as possible...

Driver / 3W are two critical clubs but it depends on how you use them along with how well you strike them... I’ll address driver than the metal wood...

Driver: I’d be willing to guess this is where your 2 way miss occurs the most... the driver you have is very unforgiving not just from a technology perspective but 9.5 degree of loft requires you to hit up much more on the ball than a 12 or 10.5... because you stand up a little and if you have been told get behind the ball you end up leaning back which flings the face wide open and you get the wicked slice instead you release the club early and you get the dreaded hook... I personally use a 10.5 SIM in neutral setting weight all the way in the tie which allows me to hit monster cuts and it allows me to fairway find on easy push draws since I don’t have to hit up as much... I’d find a used m2/m1 or m4/m3 in 10.5  or something around those lines and stick that Fujikura In it if it’s adjustable tip can’t remember at this moment... that motre f1 is a solid shaft from 10 years ago or so and they just rereleased a new version... that being said I would need to see some ball data to go from there, but guessing you might want more height out of the ball so I’d see if anyone on here is selling a Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro blue 60TX and or 70TX... also check eBay but ask for the serial number under the grip so you can check if it’s real...

Metal Wood slot: first the head feeling a little loose makes sense... the Aldila tour green is a fantastic driver shaft but does not always work well in a fairway wood... I can explain and let me know if you want to know why... This is huge do you use it as a tee club and off the deck or just the tee or deck? I use mine almost always off the deck. Short par 4’s Or extreme dog legs I’d rather hit a 4i or 2i. If you are using it for both you generate enough speed but I’d save some money and get the Mitsubishi Tensei Av blue 75x... actually from a price perspective the Av would be good for the driver too... the aluminum vapor is lighter that the dupoint Kevlar in the handle and reduces the counter balancing effect which would be good for your 3W... these are both mid launch mid spin profiles but plenty of tour players have these and shafts like them... another combo would be the graphite design tour AD-BB 6x/7x... you can find used BB’s pretty reasonable... those are just guesses I’d be curious to get your feedback after trying them... I actually sell more Titleist 4W and other OEM’s 5W than 3W... 3W is one of the most challenging deck clubs to use for anyone at any skill level... adding the loft and shortening the club tends to help people find the middle more often.... 

Super interesting! I use my 3w probably like 75-25 off the tee vs off the deck. And I'm definitely curious what makes the Aldilas good driver shafts but not always good fairway shafts, I absolutely love getting into the details on equipment like that.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

3 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Super interesting! I use my 3w probably like 75-25 off the tee vs off the deck. And I'm definitely curious what makes the Aldilas good driver shafts but not always good fairway shafts, I absolutely love getting into the details on equipment like that.

So your shaft is basically now the Rogue Silver 130. The profile was proven on tour but has been updated with new materials allowing it to be slightly lighter while maintaining profile and feel. I would say the Tour green was counter balanced before that was a cool term to use. The Rouge 130 is even more counter balanced now as that is becoming the trend in driver shafts. It is a classic low launch design that has been copied by just about every other shaft manufacturer and part of the reason MCA (Mitsubishi) purchased Aldila. As I mentioned counter balancing tends to work well in a driver shaft but I see most people struggle with that in a metalwood. If you look on tour any week you will see many players with Cb driver shafts but very few in the metal wood. Reasons are two fold. one its much more difficult to add head weight back to a metal wood. just less area than a driver for things like hot metal. While tour pros can get heavier weights us commoners can not most of the time. having a head that feels light can cause all sorts of issues...

Man is this turning into a great thread - I have nothing positive to add beyond having had a top end of the bag fitting from an experienced Ping fitter who said the identical thing about 3 wood to what Manimal has said - loose it!!!!

I’m in a G410!5 wood which is so strong it’s really a 4 wood. When you like at my ARCCOS numbers there’s all of 5 yards difference between the two clubs and I actually carry the 5 wood as far or a bit farther than the 3 wood.

3 wood was a great place to hang my mask though so I kept it in the bag far longer than I should have. Finally took it out in favor of 56/60. I hang the mask on the SuperSpeed stick that’s in my bag to warm up with. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

22 hours ago, mchiller said:

You are truly a manimal. Unbelievable that you took the time analyze his swing. Poster of the year type stuff right there!

I'm pretty new here and I don't know if this is a thing... If it is, I second this nomination. If it is not, I second this nomination to be the first recipient haha

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Man is this turning into a great thread - I have nothing positive to add beyond having had a top end of the bag fitting from an experienced Ping fitter who said the identical thing about 3 wood to what Manimal has said - loose it!!!!

I’m in a G410!5 wood which is so strong it’s really a 4 wood. When you like at my ARCCOS numbers there’s all of 5 yards difference between the two clubs and I actually carry the 5 wood as far or a bit farther than the 3 wood.

3 wood was a great place to hang my mask though so I kept it in the bag far longer than I should have. Finally took it out in favor of 56/60. I hang the mask on the SuperSpeed stick that’s in my bag to warm up with. 🙂

G410 is a monster 5w... it along with the ts2/3 4w I fit so many people into... I carry driver 4-pw gw/sw/lb  putter every round But I rotate 3w 2i 3i and 4h based on the course layout  and wind etc... my home course has a 620 yard par 5 so if I rip a drive I can get home sometimes in 2... 

Most golfers actually hit a 5w farther than a 3w and having another wedge never hurts after driver I build my bag from putter up wedges irons the rest of the top...

quickest way to lower your score is make putts and hit great tee shots...

1 hour ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

I'm pretty new here and I don't know if this is a thing... If it is, I second this nomination. If it is not, I second this nomination to be the first recipient haha

@MyWifesSwingCoachFirst welcome! I appreciate the complement... that would be cool if that’s a thing and who knows if it is or not, but I honestly really enjoy helping people... golf has given so much to  me so I try to help and give back when I can...

Are you just new to MGS or new to golf in general? Happy to help in anyway I can

This thread has been a great read!@Manimal26 Sounds like the fitter relationship is just as important as the swing coach relationship! Their knowledge and motivation definitely will impact your fitting: I’m glad my fitter and I were on the same page! Disappointed to hear about CC not doing mixed sets: since I think my next iron set could definitely benefit from having players distance 4 -7 and more of a muscle back/blade for the rest of the set.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

1 hour ago, Micah T said:

This thread has been a great read!@Manimal26 Sounds like the fitter relationship is just as important as the swing coach relationship! Their knowledge and motivation definitely will impact your fitting: I’m glad my fitter and I were on the same page! Disappointed to hear about CC not doing mixed sets: since I think my next iron set could definitely benefit from having players distance 4 -7 and more of a muscle back/blade for the rest of the set.

You are a braver man than me @Micah T... I was going to do t-100 3i-6i and 620 CB/mb in 7i-pw... but no matter how good the 620’s felt and looked  (and they do) the forgiveness factor of the T-100 was just to important for me... plus not playing as much as I want to I’ll take the extra help...I’ll be interested to test the new p-770 -1deg loft and see how they compare... my playing partner who is a +6 HDCP ditches his honma rose protos for PXG 0311t’s  and ditches his 4i for a udi 4i...  he may not have the power I do but dude never misses a fairway or green almost and just takes 1 club extra and smokes me... although I’ll take some credit since I fit him into his PXG’s 😆

You are a braver man than me [mention=93610]Micah T[/mention]... I was going to do t-100 3i-6i and 620 CB/mb in 7i-pw... but no matter how good the 620’s felt and looked  (and they do) the forgiveness factor of the T-100 was just to important for me... plus not playing as much as I want to I’ll take the extra help...I’ll be interested to test the new p-770 -1deg loft and see how they compare... my playing partner who is a +6 HDCP ditches his honma rose protos for PXG 0311t’s  and ditches his 4i for a udi 4i...  he may not have the power I do but dude never misses a fairway or green almost and just takes 1 club extra and smokes me... although I’ll take some credit since I fit him into his PXG’s

Those TM’s are super sexy: I’ll be hitting those too. Maybe just a T-100/T-200 combo set, or a P-770/P-7MB combo set! Then again, I’ve always wanted to try Mizuno’s...

I might need a club ho badge to go with my others...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

21 minutes ago, Micah T said:

Those TM’s are super sexy: I’ll be hitting those too. Maybe just a T-100/T-200 combo set, or a P-770/P-7MB combo set! Then again, I’ve always wanted to try Mizuno’s...

I might need a club ho badge to go with my others... emoji23.png

It will all honestly depend on what the offset is on the 921's and 770's ... The t-100's are not to bad but less is more in this case.... Couple people I work with are on staff with Mizuno and are always yapping lol... but I have only ever gamed Titleist irons so for me it will be tough to change. I am going to give the 921 tour's and p770 and fair shot though. 

1 hour ago, Micah T said:

I might need a club ho badge to go with my others... emoji23.png

Ah...a man after my own heart! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

21 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@MyWifesSwingCoachFirst welcome! I appreciate the complement... that would be cool if that’s a thing and who knows if it is or not, but I honestly really enjoy helping people... golf has given so much to  me so I try to help and give back when I can...

Are you just new to MGS or new to golf in general? Happy to help in anyway I can

I am new to MGS and I am getting back into golf after almost a decade hiatus since high school. My Wife expressed interest and now that I am practicing swings and putting in the living room my 6 y/o is interested as well. So I am excited at the prospect of golfing with my Wife and children because I am not one to golf alone except on occasion. I am currently building up my bag (lockdown purchases of 4-9 of TM r7TP irons, a Adams Idea Pro hybrid, and also just purchased a TM r9 Superdeep TP Driver from BST, looking for wedges and possibly a fairway wood) and trying to "find my swing" to quote Baggar Vance.

But back to @Manimal26 and this thread, you say you are not an expert but I hope that when I get some consistency in my swing and get fitted that my fitter has as much knowledge as you do as well as the genuine desire to help fellow golfers as you do. It is immensely impressive what you were able to do with a simple video of someone hitting a couple of balls. Honestly, if I ever find my way to Texas I would say it is worth it to track you down for a fitting haha Just the amount of insight you have into the swing and equipment and the knowledge that you would share is worth whatever you would charge.

And with that I will end my longest post yet with two things: 1 Poster of the Year (or month or week) doesn't sound like too bad of an idea and 2 This has me thinking about what all the guys more knowledgeable than myself would be able to ask a potential fitter to ensure the best possible end result sort of like a questionnaire to vet a fitter. But rather than hijacking this thread, I will create a new thread.

Edited by MyWifesSwingCoach

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

@Manimal26 - thanks for all of the great insights in this thread, much appreciated. i have a question on irons. what type of iron / iron profiles tend to work best for diggers? just trying to get an idea for the future, not planning to look at new irons any time soon.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

@Manimal26. Following up on the CC perfect fit guarantee.

I was able to go in for my refit today. Brought my new fitted sticks and my old 6 iron since they use it for fittings. Fitter asked me to warm up and while doing so he took measurements of my two 6 irons. New fitted 6 iron (JPX 919 forged with Nippon NS Pro 950GH) was a D2 swing weight and old one (MP-54 with dynamic golf s300) was a D5. I explained i had been hitting a lot of chunks and toes and my backswing had gotten even longer (I already go past parallel with my old clubs) with my new clubs. As I was warming up, I asked him what my options were and I got the response "we're going to tinker." So I hit some shots with my new 6 iron and he said he was really going to being paying attention to swing path, angle of attack, and face to path. Maybe 1 or 2 others were in there too.

After I hit my new 6 iron and my old 6 iron he noticed the biggest difference was in attack angle. New 6 iron was about -7 and old was about -5. Not sure what I should be at for a 6 iron but even with my driver I have a -2 to -3 AoA. Believe my swing speed with the 6 iron was about 88mph and I flying it about 175-180. He also noticed my new 6 iron was longer in length from club head to butt (and in distance a bit, but not important here).  He then added some lead tape to the hosel of my 6 iron to test adding what more head weight would do. That brought my AoA back to about -5, what my old 6 iron was. Then he was quick to say he will cut down the shafts to what my old ones are and add in some tip weight to bring it to D5. 

All in all, it felt a bit like he was looking for the quick fix and I didn't really have a chance to explore other options. I could have been more vocal, but I'll give these a shot and he said to check back in with him after a few weeks with the new sticks to let him know how it's going and we can look again if we need to. 

Edited by mchiller

On 8/14/2020 at 10:06 AM, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

I am new to MGS and I am getting back into golf after almost a decade hiatus since high school. My Wife expressed interest and now that I am practicing swings and putting in the living room my 6 y/o is interested as well. So I am excited at the prospect of golfing with my Wife and children because I am not one to golf alone except on occasion. I am currently building up my bag (lockdown purchases of 4-9 of TM r7TP irons, a Adams Idea Pro hybrid, and also just purchased a TM r9 Superdeep TP Driver from BST, looking for wedges and possibly a fairway wood) and trying to "find my swing" to quote Baggar Vance.

But back to @Manimal26 and this thread, you say you are not an expert but I hope that when I get some consistency in my swing and get fitted that my fitter has as much knowledge as you do as well as the genuine desire to help fellow golfers as you do. It is immensely impressive what you were able to do with a simple video of someone hitting a couple of balls. Honestly, if I ever find my way to Texas I would say it is worth it to track you down for a fitting haha Just the amount of insight you have into the swing and equipment and the knowledge that you would share is worth whatever you would charge.

And with that I will end my longest post yet with two things: 1 Poster of the Year (or month or week) doesn't sound like too bad of an idea and 2 This has me thinking about what all the guys more knowledgeable than myself would be able to ask a potential fitter to ensure the best possible end result sort of like a questionnaire to vet a fitter. But rather than hijacking this thread, I will create a new thread.

@MyWifesSwingCoach I am happy to help anyway I can... And that is awesome about your whole family... I just recently got my brother to transition into golf... We both played Junior and college hockey so he has some potential, but everyone does which is what makes golf such an amazing sport... When it comes to me building out a bag I focus on the areas that will quickly impact your game... First is driver but a close second is the putter. Getting the ball in play and reducing puts on the green will shave strokes very quickly.... After that I go from the bottom up starting with the wedges... I change my bag based on courses but in general I go 46(set)/50/56/60 to keep gapping from my 91 at 42deg until I hit my SW where I very rarely hit full shots... LW same deal.... I also flip some times and go 46 set PW 52 and 58 if I need an extra club at the top for a long course or links style. So many things to consider when making an investment in wedges...

Here are some thoughts though...

image.png.d41b6ed32f233b54a22127cc03cc26bd.png

First I would swing down to any place that can measure lofts/lie/length... These are very traditional and even shorter on the lengths (which getting back in might be helpful in controlling the club while sacrificing some distance...) I play my 7i at 61 deg lie which is -2 flat from titleist but standard from Mizuno so you will need to keep that in mind... I mention this now because most Wedges come at a 64 lie angle which helps people not "SLICE" but in wedges length and lie are much more important than any other club besides a putter... I would look for a Vokey SM6/7/8 or a Cleveland RTX4 depending on your budget for a 46/48 PW it will have plenty of bounce and you can carry it over to your next set if your next set has strong lofts get the 48 and if you want more traditional get the 46.... Gapping will be important when you start and not as much as you progress... Clevland RTX4 have the Tour Issue DG s400 shaft in them which is a $30 upcharge from Vokey and you could probably find a new for $120 and used even cheaper.... GW/AW same deal but find a 50/52 depending on your PW choice... try to keep 4 deg loft between your clubs.... Now comes the trickey part and if you spend enough time here you will here a lot of people say no one should carry a LW... Ill say that the LW when used correctly is a weapon in the locker but for now could be passed up and carry the SW as your highest lofted club... I would look for again the Vokey/Cleveland etc but I would also look to see if you could pick up a ping glide 2.0/3.0 54/56 ES sole it is very wide has lots of bounce and will help out in a lot of situations... Mizuno t20 56/14 will also be a solid choice.... Do not get caught up in the bounce grind etc because at this point you want to focus on what will help you as you practice and improve.... If you add 3 wedges it will take you to 12 clubs... based on the loft of your Hybrid I would look to add another one closer to the loft of your 4i... so have a 22deg hy and maybe one lower at 25-26deg... fairway wood find something thats a 5w in the 17.5-19deg range... skip the 3w for now its such a difficult club when you are starting....

Finally in regards to vetting a fitter.... ... Link your new thread in here and I will move my post over after this one... 

Thanks for warm thoughts as well just those are enough to make the effort worth while.... 

On 8/14/2020 at 10:56 AM, dlow206 said:

@Manimal26 - thanks for all of the great insights in this thread, much appreciated. i have a question on irons. what type of iron / iron profiles tend to work best for diggers? just trying to get an idea for the future, not planning to look at new irons any time soon.

@dlow206 its tough to just throw out a profile for "diggers" your equipment setup looks fantastic and you have invested in your game for sure... That being said sometimes something as simple as a lie angle change can help with that... In general though when some tells me that I tend to have them try Srixon/Hogan irons because of the V sole which is the best when it comes to turf interactions.... If you want I am happy to do a quick swing analysis if you could send me a down the line and face on along with any LM data plus your profile (height weight club head speed with a driver & 7i) and maybe we can find the root cause... I myself will be looking at the new srixion irons when they come out as my next set...

8 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

@dlow206 its tough to just throw out a profile for "diggers" your equipment setup looks fantastic and you have invested in your game for sure... That being said sometimes something as simple as a lie angle change can help with that... In general though when some tells me that I tend to have them try Srixon/Hogan irons because of the V sole which is the best when it comes to turf interactions.... If you want I am happy to do a quick swing analysis if you could send me a down the line and face on along with any LM data plus your profile (height weight club head speed with a driver & 7i) and maybe we can find the root cause... I myself will be looking at the new srixion irons when they come out as my next set...

Thanks. Will try to record my swing when I can. In a situation right now the driving range at my club is only open for a quick warm up before a round due to Covid, so I am always in a rush to warm up.

My "digging" has been improving, and I am coming in much less steep. Before I was hitting some chunked iron shots that no club could fix. Now I am taking a more reasonable divot size, but still my miss is a little fat.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

On 8/14/2020 at 10:52 PM, mchiller said:

@Manimal26. Following up on the CC perfect fit guarantee.

I was able to go in for my refit today. Brought my new fitted sticks and my old 6 iron since they use it for fittings. Fitter asked me to warm up and while doing so he took measurements of my two 6 irons. New fitted 6 iron (JPX 919 forged with Nippon NS Pro 950GH) was a D2 swing weight and old one (MP-54 with dynamic golf s300) was a D5. I explained i had been hitting a lot of chunks and toes and my backswing had gotten even longer (I already go past parallel with my old clubs) with my new clubs. As I was warming up, I asked him what my options were and I got the response "we're going to tinker." So I hit some shots with my new 6 iron and he said he was really going to being paying attention to swing path, angle of attack, and face to path. Maybe 1 or 2 others were in there too.

After I hit my new 6 iron and my old 6 iron he noticed the biggest difference was in attack angle. New 6 iron was about -7 and old was about -5. Not sure what I should be at for a 6 iron but even with my driver I have a -2 to -3 AoA. Believe my swing speed with the 6 iron was about 88mph and I flying it about 175-180. He also noticed my new 6 iron was longer in length from club head to butt (and in distance a bit, but not important here).  He then added some lead tape to the hosel of my 6 iron to test adding what more head weight would do. That brought my AoA back to about -5, what my old 6 iron was. Then he was quick to say he will cut down the shafts to what my old ones are and add in some tip weight to bring it to D5. 

All in all, it felt a bit like he was looking for the quick fix and I didn't really have a chance to explore other options. I could have been more vocal, but I'll give these a shot and he said to check back in with him after a few weeks with the new sticks to let him know how it's going and we can look again if we need to. 

@mchiller Thank you for the feed back.... Sorry for a slow response Friday afternoons and Saturdays are very busy days.... I see this from time to time... the S300 shaft weighs 124-132g and the 950 weighs 98g (nippon has much tighter tolerances than non TI DG stuff). The extra length was adding speed since the club simply travels farther plus the stronger lofts...  "we're going to tinker." is an appropriate response but should have been done in the initial fitting in fact all of this should have been factored in.... AoA is a crucial number to look at.... here is some PGA data to take a look at... and keep in mind everyone varies and averages are the only data I can get so extremes get factored in vs a median or other advanced stats...

image.png.6ffddcddbff74eb37d4a2b5770d73ca6.png

Rory for example hits around +3-+4 AoA on his driver and if he goes after one he will be +8 AoA.... Beefy McBeef Bryson hits much higher than +8... Cameron champ hits -3 AoA i think... but all are going after very different things.... However if you look at the 6i at -4.1 AoA I would guess that is much less room for fluctuation they are also trying to control shots with irons and can go much faster if needed.... @ncwoz take a look at this too as a guide since you generate this type of speed...

Of course they do not want to rebuild clubs that is a huge cost and I would have tried something vary similar to what he adjusted with the tip weight and length.... Let me know how it goes after the next couple of rounds or range sessions... I am a huge fan of Nippon and you can find some post I have made in the past as to why, but if that is not working out I would ask to get the clubs reshafted... the 950 is the number 1 shaft on the LPGA tour, but its not one size fits all... If you like the feel of the 950 ask to try the Modus 130 S its very similr in balance but has the extra weight that your S300 had...

9 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks. Will try to record my swing when I can. In a situation right now the driving range at my club is only open for a quick warm up before a round due to Covid, so I am always in a rush to warm up.

My "digging" has been improving, and I am coming in much less steep. Before I was hitting some chunked iron shots that no club could fix. Now I am taking a more reasonable divot size, but still my miss is a little fat.

The Srixons/Hogans would help and Hogan has free demos they will send you to try as well.... I have no affiliation with them and we dont sell it at my shop, but if you have ever heard of the accustrike tour mat thing it does wonders and much cheaper than renting a launch monitor... I use one to practice my ball shaping and I dont tear up the grass or stain my clubs on a mat... plus you could practice at home as well...

Send me the videos when you get a free moment just need a couple of each... 

@Manimal26 - had one other question for you. if someone becomes a good ball striker, are there any potential performance advantages go to more of a players club vs. GI? (not talking blades here). Besides the look of the club and the "workability". 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

@Manimal26 - had one other question for you. if someone becomes a good ball striker, are there any potential performance advantages go to more of a players club vs. GI? (not talking blades here). Besides the look of the club and the "workability". 

Yes in a round about way... As you become better things such as offset and the sole width will limit you some... Offset is designed to give the club more time to square up and since most people purchasing GI tend to slice you see much more offset. As you improve your striking the offset will shut the face and you will either have to aim farther to the right or you will end up with some big draws.... In regards to sole width GI feature larger sole geometry which is designed to get the ball up (push cg back) and help push through turf (rough etc). When you strike better you will not want balls ballooning on you but you will lose the benefits when you hit from the rough... hope that helps a bit

4 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@mchiller Thank you for the feed back.... Sorry for a slow response Friday afternoons and Saturdays are very busy days.... I see this from time to time... the S300 shaft weighs 124-132g and the 950 weighs 98g (nippon has much tighter tolerances than non TI DG stuff). The extra length was adding speed since the club simply travels farther plus the stronger lofts...  "we're going to tinker." is an appropriate response but should have been done in the initial fitting in fact all of this should have been factored in.... AoA is a crucial number to look at.... here is some PGA data to take a look at... and keep in mind everyone varies and averages are the only data I can get so extremes get factored in vs a median or other advanced stats...

image.png.6ffddcddbff74eb37d4a2b5770d73ca6.png

Rory for example hits around +3-+4 AoA on his driver and if he goes after one he will be +8 AoA.... Beefy McBeef Bryson hits much higher than +8... Cameron champ hits -3 AoA i think... but all are going after very different things.... However if you look at the 6i at -4.1 AoA I would guess that is much less room for fluctuation they are also trying to control shots with irons and can go much faster if needed.... @ncwoz take a look at this too as a guide since you generate this type of speed...

Of course they do not want to rebuild clubs that is a huge cost and I would have tried something vary similar to what he adjusted with the tip weight and length.... Let me know how it goes after the next couple of rounds or range sessions... I am a huge fan of Nippon and you can find some post I have made in the past as to why, but if that is not working out I would ask to get the clubs reshafted... the 950 is the number 1 shaft on the LPGA tour, but its not one size fits all... If you like the feel of the 950 ask to try the Modus 130 S its very similr in balance but has the extra weight that your S300 had...

I can certainly understand them trying to not put in new shafts and help make the current ones work. I'm sure that's why he didn't want to share all options and just went with the tinker comment. If it works out and gets me to even a quarter of what it takes to play on LPGA, I'd be ecstatic. I always try to look at LPGA data and stats to compare my game to rather than as you call them the Beefy McBeefs. I certainly appreciate the extra work the fitter is putting in to cut my shafts and add tip weights. I hope to have them back by the weekend so I'll follow up again. I appreciate th comments and data. I'm not too far off on AoA, with my heavier 6 iron anyways. 😁

29 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

Yes in a round about way... As you become better things such as offset and the sole width will limit you some... Offset is designed to give the club more time to square up and since most people purchasing GI tend to slice you see much more offset. As you improve your striking the offset will shut the face and you will either have to aim farther to the right or you will end up with some big draws.... In regards to sole width GI feature larger sole geometry which is designed to get the ball up (push cg back) and help push through turf (rough etc). When you strike better you will not want balls ballooning on you but you will lose the benefits when you hit from the rough... hope that helps a bit

could this also lead to over closing the head at impact? example is the toe out racing the rest of the club and causing pulls or is that more of a swing path issue?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

2 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

could this also lead to over closing the head at impact? example is the toe out racing the rest of the club and causing pulls or is that more of a swing path issue?

Toe out racing usually has to do with the golfer. club heads are designed to be balanced for the most part. But in golf there are always exceptions.