TESTERS WANTED! ×

So I did an iron fitting today...

ncwoz

23 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@MyWifesSwingCoach I am happy to help anyway I can... And that is awesome about your whole family... I just recently got my brother to transition into golf... We both played Junior and college hockey so he has some potential, but everyone does which is what makes golf such an amazing sport... When it comes to me building out a bag I focus on the areas that will quickly impact your game... First is driver but a close second is the putter. Getting the ball in play and reducing puts on the green will shave strokes very quickly.... After that I go from the bottom up starting with the wedges... I change my bag based on courses but in general I go 46(set)/50/56/60 to keep gapping from my 91 at 42deg until I hit my SW where I very rarely hit full shots... LW same deal.... I also flip some times and go 46 set PW 52 and 58 if I need an extra club at the top for a long course or links style. So many things to consider when making an investment in wedges...

Here are some thoughts though...

image.png.d41b6ed32f233b54a22127cc03cc26bd.png

First I would swing down to any place that can measure lofts/lie/length... These are very traditional and even shorter on the lengths (which getting back in might be helpful in controlling the club while sacrificing some distance...) I play my 7i at 61 deg lie which is -2 flat from titleist but standard from Mizuno so you will need to keep that in mind... I mention this now because most Wedges come at a 64 lie angle which helps people not "SLICE" but in wedges length and lie are much more important than any other club besides a putter... I would look for a Vokey SM6/7/8 or a Cleveland RTX4 depending on your budget for a 46/48 PW it will have plenty of bounce and you can carry it over to your next set if your next set has strong lofts get the 48 and if you want more traditional get the 46.... Gapping will be important when you start and not as much as you progress... Clevland RTX4 have the Tour Issue DG s400 shaft in them which is a $30 upcharge from Vokey and you could probably find a new for $120 and used even cheaper.... GW/AW same deal but find a 50/52 depending on your PW choice... try to keep 4 deg loft between your clubs.... Now comes the trickey part and if you spend enough time here you will here a lot of people say no one should carry a LW... Ill say that the LW when used correctly is a weapon in the locker but for now could be passed up and carry the SW as your highest lofted club... I would look for again the Vokey/Cleveland etc but I would also look to see if you could pick up a ping glide 2.0/3.0 54/56 ES sole it is very wide has lots of bounce and will help out in a lot of situations... Mizuno t20 56/14 will also be a solid choice.... Do not get caught up in the bounce grind etc because at this point you want to focus on what will help you as you practice and improve.... If you add 3 wedges it will take you to 12 clubs... based on the loft of your Hybrid I would look to add another one closer to the loft of your 4i... so have a 22deg hy and maybe one lower at 25-26deg... fairway wood find something thats a 5w in the 17.5-19deg range... skip the 3w for now its such a difficult club when you are starting....

Finally in regards to vetting a fitter.... ... Link your new thread in here and I will move my post over after this one... 

Thanks for warm thoughts as well just those are enough to make the effort worth while.... 

@Manimal26 Wow, Thank you for the insight. I will definitely be picking your brain as I continue to build my bag and find my swing.

I do have a question for you though, what is your opinion on the online options in regards to fitting?

I have done two, and here are the results below (I am 5'11")

Jeffmont/Avian = 7i is 37" Length and 63* Lie (so +0.25" and 1.5* upright Lie) and

golf-info-guide = 7i is 37" Length and 63* Lie (same)

I found it interesting that they were the same length and lie so if I may, what are your thoughts?

Here is the link to my new topic:

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

28 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

Wow, Thank you for the insight. I will definitely be picking your brain as I continue to build my bag and find my swing.

I do have a question for you though, what is your opinion on the online options in regards to fitting?

I have done two, and here are the results below (I am 5'11")

Jeffmont/Avian = 7i is 37" Length and 63* Lie (so +0.25" and 1.5* upright Lie) and

golf-info-guide = 7i is 37" Length and 63* Lie (same)

I found it interesting that they were the same length and lie so if I may, what are your thoughts?

Here is the link to my new topic:

@MyWifesSwingCoach Honestly it looks like they used the new Ping color code chart for 2021. If you look at your height and wrist to floor measurement there you have today's standard length 7i at 37" and 1.5 upright to 63 deg... Now Ping does use 62 deg for their standard 7i lie angle while Titleist TM and Callaway all use 63 deg... .. For example I am 6'1" wrist to floor call it 35.5" I should be playing 1/4" over and a 63.5 lie angle... In reality the 1/4" adds about .5 deg upright too... I play standard length irons except in my wedges (different topic) and my 7i lie is 61 deg (-2 from Titleist standard)... I also just did there online demo we shall see what they spit out...  I am going to check out your other thread and then send you a DM!

image.png.3aadf00e530d15cad19afabfeb584db5.pngimage.png.a762ba4df0dd38d33e6233d939561797.png

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

6 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

@MyWifesSwingCoach Honestly it looks like they used the new Ping color code chart for 2021. If you look at your height and wrist to floor measurement there you have today's standard length 7i at 37" and 1.5 upright to 63 deg... Now Ping does use 62 deg for their standard 7i lie angle while Titleist TM and Callaway all use 63 deg... .. For example I am 6'1" wrist to floor call it 35.5" I should be playing 1/4" over and a 63.5 lie angle... In reality the 1/4" adds about .5 deg upright too... I play standard length irons except in my wedges (different topic) and my 7i lie is 61 deg (-2 from Titleist standard)... I also just did there online demo we shall see what they spit out...  I am going to check out your other thread and then send you a DM!

image.png.3aadf00e530d15cad19afabfeb584db5.pngimage.png.a762ba4df0dd38d33e6233d939561797.png

This new Ping chart is interesting. I am 5'5" with shoes on and somewhere between 30" and 31" wrist to floor, right about in the middle so let's call it 30.5". 

Right now I am playing my Callaway irons a 1/2" short and 2 flat. I wonder if flatter would help me. I tend to hold my arms higher at setup than I should because it looks weird to me when the toe is in the air with irons.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

This new Ping chart is interesting. I am 5'5" with shoes on and somewhere between 30" and 31" wrist to floor, right about in the middle so let's call it 30.5". 

Right now I am playing my Callaway irons a 1/2" short and 2 flat. I wonder if flatter would help me. I tend to hold my arms higher at setup than I should because it looks weird to me when the toe is in the air with irons.

Now that I know that I would say the 1/2" is hurting you combined with the 2 flat. when you shorten a club a 1/2" you effectively make it -1 degree flatter... rule of thumb each 1/2" inch of length change alters the effective lie by 1 degree. Your fitter may have noticed your high hands trying to help compensate but when you raise your hands before and even higher at impact you make the club so much more upright... Also could make senses to the pulls and such

3 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

Now that I know that I would say the 1/2" is hurting you combined with the 2 flat. when you shorten a club a 1/2" you effectively make it -1 degree flatter... rule of thumb each 1/2" inch of length change alters the effective lie by 1 degree. Your fitter may have noticed your high hands trying to help compensate but when you raise your hands before and even higher at impact you make the club so much more upright... Also could make senses to the pulls and such

My initial fitting (which was a bad fitting) for a prior set of irons was based on the old Ping chart, so that had put me in -1/2" and 2 flat. 

When I got fit the next time, which was a better fitting, the fitter agreed 1/2" shorter and 2 flat was right. I can't remember the exact details of how the lie angle was tested, but I think I remember sharpie marks on a ball and tape or something on the club head. 

So is the new Ping chart a better starting point?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 2 months later...

So I did (another) iron fitting earlier this week, at a different shop near me. After getting some baseline numbers, the fitter gave me the Mizuno shaft optimizer and had me take a number of swings. The top three shafts it gave me were: 1) KBS $-Taper 120g 2) Project X 6.0 120g 3) DG X100

I hit a Ping i210, Titleist T300 and Callaway Mavrik Pro, but we spent most of our time in the JPX921 family. We basically just went through the 3 shafts with a combination of heads until we saw a combo that seemed to give us good numbers. I also realized that I have a pretty steep angle of attack, which I didn't realize until seeing the Trackman numbers. With a 7 iron I was typically around 5°-7° down.

We ended up having the most success with the JPX921 Tour and Forged head, with the $-Taper shaft. The numbers we were getting on a good swing from the Tours were probably a hair better than the Forged, but more penal on mishits. The fitter kinda said it was a bit of a tossup between the two, but he said if I'm planning on continuing to improve my game he was leaning towards the Tours so I could continue to grow into them.

This experience was miles better than the original fit I got from Club Champion which started this thread, but now that I'm home and thinking about it, I'm kicking myself a little that I didn't ask a few more questions. For one, I'm a little surprised the shafts the optimizer kicked out weren't another weight/stiffness jump up. I'm trying not to be the butt-hurt guy who wants to play rebar shafts even though he shouldn't, but I guess I was just a little surprised. I've also only ever played the zz-lites from my Ping Eye 2+'s, so I'm wondering if maybe I've just grown accustomed to the feel and weight of those, so I don't respond well to more heavy/stiff options? I wish I at least would have asked the fitter, as I'm sure he would have been happy to stick another shaft in if I asked, but I didn't think about that until now and we just stuck with what the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer spit out initially. The new shafts definitely felt a ton different than what I have now, and I did feel like I was quite used to the new feel until later in the fitting, when I started getting a lot more consistent results. Or maybe that was just because those combinations were the best?

@Manimal26 I'm just curious if you have any thoughts on these results too? You obviously have a lot of knowledge, and threw out a few shaft combinations earlier in this thread, so I'd love to hear what you think. I do have some Trackman data too if you're so inclined.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 10:14 AM, ncwoz said:

So I did (another) iron fitting earlier this week, at a different shop near me. After getting some baseline numbers, the fitter gave me the Mizuno shaft optimizer and had me take a number of swings. The top three shafts it gave me were: 1) KBS $-Taper 120g 2) Project X 6.0 120g 3) DG X100

I hit a Ping i210, Titleist T300 and Callaway Mavrik Pro, but we spent most of our time in the JPX921 family. We basically just went through the 3 shafts with a combination of heads until we saw a combo that seemed to give us good numbers. I also realized that I have a pretty steep angle of attack, which I didn't realize until seeing the Trackman numbers. With a 7 iron I was typically around 5°-7° down.

We ended up having the most success with the JPX921 Tour and Forged head, with the $-Taper shaft. The numbers we were getting on a good swing from the Tours were probably a hair better than the Forged, but more penal on mishits. The fitter kinda said it was a bit of a tossup between the two, but he said if I'm planning on continuing to improve my game he was leaning towards the Tours so I could continue to grow into them.

This experience was miles better than the original fit I got from Club Champion which started this thread, but now that I'm home and thinking about it, I'm kicking myself a little that I didn't ask a few more questions. For one, I'm a little surprised the shafts the optimizer kicked out weren't another weight/stiffness jump up. I'm trying not to be the butt-hurt guy who wants to play rebar shafts even though he shouldn't, but I guess I was just a little surprised. I've also only ever played the zz-lites from my Ping Eye 2+'s, so I'm wondering if maybe I've just grown accustomed to the feel and weight of those, so I don't respond well to more heavy/stiff options? I wish I at least would have asked the fitter, as I'm sure he would have been happy to stick another shaft in if I asked, but I didn't think about that until now and we just stuck with what the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer spit out initially. The new shafts definitely felt a ton different than what I have now, and I did feel like I was quite used to the new feel until later in the fitting, when I started getting a lot more consistent results. Or maybe that was just because those combinations were the best?

@Manimal26 I'm just curious if you have any thoughts on these results too? You obviously have a lot of knowledge, and threw out a few shaft combinations earlier in this thread, so I'd love to hear what you think. I do have some Trackman data too if you're so inclined.

Hey man I have been a ghost recently... I got hit with a s*** storm that would challenge anyones s***** 2020... Let me look through it and ill respond!

On 8/17/2020 at 9:38 AM, Manimal26 said:

@dlow206 its tough to just throw out a profile for "diggers" your equipment setup looks fantastic and you have invested in your game for sure... That being said sometimes something as simple as a lie angle change can help with that... In general though when some tells me that I tend to have them try Srixon/Hogan irons because of the V sole which is the best when it comes to turf interactions.... If you want I am happy to do a quick swing analysis if you could send me a down the line and face on along with any LM data plus your profile (height weight club head speed with a driver & 7i) and maybe we can find the root cause... I myself will be looking at the new srixion irons when they come out as my next set...

Would love to see your Srixon Zx vs T100 data.  I also love Modus 120s.  I've done several fittings and demos, Modus 120 always the best fit shaft for me.  

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

@ncwoz glad to hear that you are sticking at it. I like the shaft optimizer as a starting point, but that being said it is only going to give options that are currently in Mizuno's lineup that are designed to work with their heads. A second note on that is if the place you went is past due with Mizuno or not doing enough volume they may have to pay or not have even have access to the new lineup. So double check Mizuno's website to see what no charge options are out there.

Second since you used trackman did they give you your data? If so upload it and I will let you know what I think about it.

I will break down your post below with thoughts and feedback below but here is some baseline things I go through:

Any time I do a fitting I ask a few questions depending on the situation. Did he ask any of these;

• What are you looking to gain from this fitting? 
    • I keep in mind and note this answer, but I make it clear that this is not instruction but a way to maximize your current state of play and give you the ability to work towards your improvement goals with confidence.
  • Do you keep a HDCP, and if so what it is it? If not why not?
    • This is more just to guide me towards so club heads that might be the right fit
  • I will ask some other questions like these:
    • What is your average rounds per month during season
    • How many total rounds do you play a year
    • How many hours a week to you spend practicing
    • When you practice do you just hit balls or do you have a practice plan
    • Have you ever taken lessons?
  • I will also ask if you have any pain when you swing or physicals limitations.
    • lets me know if we might want to try graphite or light weight steel.

If he did not ask any of these feel free to answer them. The reason I ask these is to paint a picture of the life of the irons. For example I practice in season almost everyday and 2-3 times during the winter and I play 100+ rounds a year. My T-100's at this point (which I got day 1) are needing replacement. T-100 are also much tougher than a Mizuno 921 tour or forged.

• How far did you carry the ball with the shaft optimizer club?
  • What was the lie angle recommendation for the 7i from the optimizer? 
  • Was the X100 the standard or Tour Issue?
  • What was your club head speed with the various 7i?
  • This is an odd results just looking at it.

• Some players game improvement and players distance irons mixed in. I like that because you never know what might work best for you.
  • This years PGA data is skewed because of Covid-19 but in 2019 the avg AoA for a 7i was -4.3° with 90mph club head speed 16.3° launch angle and went 172 yards. The USGA data avg. for men with a 7i is 138 yards
    • Keep in mind PGA tour players can stretch these numbers because they know how to control launch and spin. But these are good base lines
  • I feel that If a golfer can’t feel a shaft that’s properly weighted, the other factors (flex, torque, bend profile) are moot, that combined with the steep AoA generally speaking a lighter shaft might help correct that which is why I find it odd that the X100 was a choice

We ended up having the most success with the JPX921 Tour and Forged head, with the $-Taper shaft. The numbers we were getting on a good swing from the Tours were probably a hair better than the Forged, but more penal on mishits. The fitter kind of said it was a bit of a tossup between the two, but he said if I'm planning on continuing to improve my game he was leaning towards the Tours so I could continue to grow into them.

• As I mentioned you have a steep AoA so lighter shafts will usally tend to be your friend until you learn how to shallow out your swing better.
  • Here are some shafts that some of them are no-upcharge from Mizuno. You should swing by a Golf Galaxy and test some of these. I picked 3 from 3 different OEMS that I would have pulled for you to test.
    • Nippon Modus 120X (120g)
    • Nippon Modus 105X (113g)
    • Nippon Modus 115X (118.5g) (just released 11/12/20)
    • True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 X100 (120g) (if you goes this route it is worth the money to get the Tour Issue version but that is a whole different conversation as to why.)
    • True Temper Elevate Tour X (122G)
    • True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT X100 (Tour issue only) (115g 4i ascending to 130g PW)
    • KBS $-Taper Lite X (105g) (same deal as above)(worth trying something very light)
    • KBS Tour V X (120G)
    • KBS C-Taper Lite (115G)
  • Honestly I have the opposite opinion of your fitter. Golf should be fun first and fore most and I would go with the set that allows you to maximize your current ability and where you are today. As you improve you can grow out of them and into something else. Also the 921 tours require elite ball striking however they are much more forgiving than my T-100, but neither are very forgiving in general.
  • Also consider the MGS best value players club the NewLevel 902 you can get a demo 6/7 and a set of heads only is less than $500 and you can find shaft pulls  and have a custom set built (https://www.newlevelgolf.com/online-store/10-Day-Demo-Program-p248261332)
  •  

• Hopefully my earlier thoughts give you some guidance. Any changes in golf feel very different when you start to make them.
  • Try to get the trackman data
  • The LAGP Texas Rebar are actually not that bad I just had no feel with them >_< Lol!!!!!!!!
  • Hopefully my earlier comments explain why the optimizer gave you those results.

You might have trouble finding a place to test the Nippon 115 and the KBS Tour V, but I would start with the 921 forged with the Nippon Modus 120X (no upcharge) the TT DG 120 X100 and C-Taper lite since they are all no-upcharge shafts from Mizuno.... I will also PM you some personal stuff for you as well....

20 minutes ago, ejcrossl said:

Would love to see your Srixon Zx vs T100 data.  I also love Modus 120s.  I've done several fittings and demos, Modus 120 always the best fit shaft for me.  

I will get you some once I get a fitting head, but from the 785's being stronger lofted it might be better to compare the T-100s... 

@ncwoz here is some fun data (2019)

D41Fln3XoAE_uPW.jpg

2 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

Hey man I have been a ghost recently... I got hit with a s*** storm that would challenge anyones s***** 2020... Let me look through it and ill respond!

Man, sorry to hear that! I hope everything's starting to settle down for you, and hopefully get back in order.

Thanks again for the time, I do have the Trackman fitting info and I can also answer your questions when I have a few minutes later this evening!

Right Handed

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

WITB thread here

15 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Man, sorry to hear that! I hope everything's starting to settle down for you, and hopefully get back in order.

Thanks again for the time, I do have the Trackman fitting info and I can also answer your questions when I have a few minutes later this evening!

yah we shall see.... sent you a DM as well but read through my thoughts and upload the data when you can and we can go through it

Im jumping from the 1st post to the last now,  sorry

$2000 is a LOT of money for new irons. The P790's are nice but i scared myself away from them. Heard too many stories of guys hitting spuradic flyers  that go 10+ yards longer than normal. My new Mizuno JPX 921 hot metals were $1300 after tax! Thats 4-GW too. Interesting yall got a shaft narrowed down first and then put it on heads; I feel like those 2 should work in conjunction. Gotta find the right pair together. I almost did the T200's and even those would have been like $1400 pre-tax.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

@Manimal26 I did end up coming across some $ Taper pulls on eBay and jumped on those, and then paired them up with some Maltby TS-1 heads, but I did answer your questions for posterity's sake. I'd still be kinda curious to know your thoughts, and I do wish I would have asked the fitter if I could try a few different shafts as well. Going into the fitting I honestly thought I'd be in a stiffer/heavier profile, but he echoed the thoughts you mentioned about a lighter shaft helping me out with my steeper angle of attack, as well as a pretty conservative tempo.

• What are you looking to gain from this fitting? 
    • Don't need distance, mostly just looking for a set that's a better dispersion fit for me and my swing, as well as something that's not 3 decades old lol 
  • Do you keep a HDCP, and if so what it is it? If not why not?
    • I'm off 10 right now, and have been pretty steadily declining over the past year (started the spring at 19)
  • I will ask some other questions like these:
    • I played about 5 rounds a month this summer, took some lessons last winter (and hoping to again this off-season), and typically practice about once a week. I do practice with a plan and track my progress throughout the season.
  • I will also ask if you have any pain when you swing or physicals limitations.
    • No pain or physical limitations
  • How far did you carry the ball with the shaft optimizer club?
    • Unfortunately I don't remember, and that data isn't in the Trackman report
  • What was the lie angle recommendation for the 7i from the optimizer?
    • I didn't even realize the optimizer gave that information, so I'm not sure there either
  • Was the X100 the standard or Tour Issue?
    • I believe it was just standard

Right Handed

WITB thread here

@ncwoz maltby what???? j/K... did you do the build your self? what do those cost? I am actually getting ready to change irons myself and already updated my wedges... some others coming as well...

In regards to your answers... yes the shaft optimizer gives lie angle recommendations. It probably gave you the X100 because to the speed however the others were probably because of the AoA... if you did the build yourself and dont like the $ taper stiffs try the nippon 120x or the KBS tour V X

I am pondering what shafts I am going with in my next set of irons myself...

16 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@ncwoz maltby what???? j/K... did you do the build your self? what do those cost? I am actually getting ready to change irons myself and already updated my wedges... some others coming as well...

In regards to your answers... yes the shaft optimizer gives lie angle recommendations. It probably gave you the X100 because to the speed however the others were probably because of the AoA... if you did the build yourself and dont like the $ taper stiffs try the nippon 120x or the KBS tour V X

I am pondering what shafts I am going with in my next set of irons myself...

The Maltby's are really nice! I had a local shop build them for me, I don't have any building tools or equipment, but once we have a little more space I might dabble in some club building. With the eBay pulls and new heads I think it totalled up to about $600, and then the shop charged like $12 a club to build them.

I really like the heads a lot, so I figure if I want to swap the shafts out at some point that won't be too hard/expensive. As @edingc knows, I've been mulling around for a new set of irons for over a year now, so I figured I'd just pull the trigger and see how it goes from there. I was gaming Ping Eye 2s with zz-lite shafts before, so I kinda figured it wouldn't be too hard for the new set to be a pretty big improvement, even if it's not perfect off the bat. I'm also hoping to do some lessons this winter to shallow out my AoA, so maybe next season it'll make sense to revisit the shafts and try out the Nippon 120x and/or KBS tour v x.

Thanks again for all your insight, I really appreciate it!

Right Handed

WITB thread here

34 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

The Maltby's are really nice! I had a local shop build them for me, I don't have any building tools or equipment, but once we have a little more space I might dabble in some club building. With the eBay pulls and new heads I think it totalled up to about $600, and then the shop charged like $12 a club to build them.

I really like the heads a lot, so I figure if I want to swap the shafts out at some point that won't be too hard/expensive. As @edingc knows, I've been mulling around for a new set of irons for over a year now, so I figured I'd just pull the trigger and see how it goes from there. I was gaming Ping Eye 2s with zz-lite shafts before, so I kinda figured it wouldn't be too hard for the new set to be a pretty big improvement, even if it's not perfect off the bat. I'm also hoping to do some lessons this winter to shallow out my AoA, so maybe next season it'll make sense to revisit the shafts and try out the Nippon 120x and/or KBS tour v x.

Thanks again for all your insight, I really appreciate it!

Did they finish them yet? I saw some golfers out and about already today. It's warm enough to hit balls, although I opted for the heated range earlier this morning while it was still frosty...

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

36 minutes ago, edingc said:

Did they finish them yet? I saw some golfers out and about already today. It's warm enough to hit balls, although I opted for the heated range earlier this morning while it was still frosty...

Yessir! I picked them up yesterday and went right to the range. 

Right Handed

WITB thread here

@Chip Strokes read through this thread I did all this analysis because he had a horrible fitting at club champion which really grinds my gears... 

@Manimal26 - Good to have you back here.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Just now, HardcoreLooper said:

@Manimal26 - Good to have you back here.

@HardcoreLooper thank you... good to be back... things happen in life it’s how you choose to deal... hope you’ve been well!

9 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@HardcoreLooper thank you... good to be back... things happen in life it’s how you choose to deal... hope you’ve been well!

Doing great... all things considered.  Totally understand that life happens when we're making other plans.  Keep dropping knowledge on us.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Doing great... all things considered.  Totally understand that life happens when we're making other plans.  Keep dropping knowledge on us.

That is good to hear... trying to give a s*** and I am tired of hearing about people getting ripped off by instructors / golf shops / and custom fitters / and people who have no clue how to build a club.

Just fixed a putter that custom club fitting operation charged the guy $1407.25. Meet him on the course when our groups joined up. I noticed it within 30 seconds it was a bad build. He bought the LAGP shaft for the putter here is what it looked like when I pulled it... it was not salvageable for his spec... I rebuilt it for him with a BGT stability tour shaft did a custom paint fill and adjusted the loft and lie that was 2 degree off on both.

So much has changed from a materials perspective that old school club building methods techniques and tools are out dated. 

32DCD03E-A45B-4D12-894C-3A236FC13AA6.jpeg.4301b28bb5e58babc06ac49e3b4d3ace.jpeg76EC2B45-287F-466C-A208-9571475826B3.jpeg.abb117502d3f823b63bfa52df19522e3.jpeg

Jeez, that's criminal.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

19 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

That is good to hear... trying to give a s*** and I am tired of hearing about people getting ripped off by instructors / golf shops / and custom fitters / and people who have no clue how to build a club.

Just fixed a putter that custom club fitting operation charged the guy $1407.25. Meet him on the course when our groups joined up. I noticed it within 30 seconds it was a bad build. He bought the LAGP shaft for the putter here is what it looked like when I pulled it... it was not salvageable for his spec... I rebuilt it for him with a BGT stability tour shaft did a custom paint fill and adjusted the loft and lie that was 2 degree off on both.

So much has changed from a materials perspective that old school club building methods techniques and tools are out dated. 

32DCD03E-A45B-4D12-894C-3A236FC13AA6.jpeg.4301b28bb5e58babc06ac49e3b4d3ace.jpeg76EC2B45-287F-466C-A208-9571475826B3.jpeg.abb117502d3f823b63bfa52df19522e3.jpeg

Did the original "builder" just gnaw on that shaft with their teeth or what?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

On 11/21/2020 at 11:23 AM, ncwoz said:

Yessir! I picked them up yesterday and went right to the range. 

Well Were Waiting GIFs | Tenor

for the pictures 😊

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

16 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well Were Waiting GIFs | Tenor

for the pictures 😊

Haha I guess I posted them in other threads and not this one, but here ya go!

IMG_20201120_175605172.jpg.07cd007e2bb086a1e76d147c0e4d2c02.jpg

IMG_20201120_175452411.jpg.937feefdde5197f7953fcdafea9de48a.jpg

IMG_20201120_175410566.jpg.f285df7cec5bd582efc8ef81b1ba4844.jpg

Right Handed

WITB thread here

If you're playing Ping Eye 2's, It's apparent you don't switch clubs too often. Consider the $2000 a long term investment. Over a  5 - 10 year period, depending on how often you replace your irons, your investment could be considered practical.

Otherwise, since you paid for the fitting, you are under no obligation to buy from CC. Feel free to find a competent club maker/fitter who could confirm your stats and see what he would do on a set of the same clubs.

21 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Haha I guess I posted them in other threads and not this one, but here ya go!

IMG_20201120_175605172.jpg.07cd007e2bb086a1e76d147c0e4d2c02.jpg

IMG_20201120_175452411.jpg.937feefdde5197f7953fcdafea9de48a.jpg

IMG_20201120_175410566.jpg.f285df7cec5bd582efc8ef81b1ba4844.jpg

Those look nice.  Not too gaudy, simple, clean lines.  I've certainly heard about Maltby and his much regarded work in the field of club fitting, build, and design but, like Wishon's line of products, never looked into them to any great degree.  I was just reading through @bens197thread this past spring and his build/play of a TS1 set.  His comments like "point and shoot technology" seem to confirm what the Maltby website says about the TS1's.

image.png.8f30c9b531e48e912885ededfaded4bb.png

Very early in my time here on MGS, when I started my search to replace my PE2's (like you), @deejaidsuggested KZG and@PlaidJacketsuggested Wishon.  These brands seem to simply hide in the shadows of the market because the companies either don't have or don't choose to spend HUGE coin on having their products plastered all throughout Golf magazines and TV spots. Interestingly enough, the fitter in Bozeman, MT had picked up KZG and had their kiosk.  I did test those but they simply were not producing the best numbers.

I have purchased a bag fitting with TrueSpec in Scottsdale that I'll complete in the next few weeks.  Unless something absolutely sings to me and offers a significant shift in performance, I'm seriously thinking of just using the specs generated to order a a couple of 6i's from the likes of Maltby, Sub70, or Wilson for test. 

The TS1's look to be in the "players" category and that gives me pause based on my current testing with the Cobra Forged Tours; which are a Players CB... and really small in profile as compared to my G410's.  How do the TS1 compare in size to say the D7's and the field of recent "Most Wanted PD Irons"?

Keep us posted on how these are working for you.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)