Jump to content
ncwoz

So I did an iron fitting today...

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

@ncwoz here comes an explanation hold on a second I’m going to break into 2 parts... and you are very welcome... MGS is about community and helping out... Fitting is crucial to improvement... Club champion does a lot of great things however their fitters are under pressure and it’s not their fault 100% but when the company sells to private equity that’s bound to happen...

  • Like 3

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

 

First of all, WOW. Thank you so much for all the time and thought you put into these posts, I am extremely grateful and humbled that you were willing to offer your knowledge and thorough information, especially to a stranger literally across the country!

That all makes really good sense to me, again, seriously thank you for going into the depth both on my swing and on the potential variables and directions to try out for clubs. I think the only thing I lost you on was the getting to 90° at the top, and that Tiger is getting 120°. What angle are you referring to there?

I almost feel bad asking for your thoughts on my driver and 3w, but you obviously know your stuff extremely well and I think I'd be silly not to take you up on at least your hunches of good directions to seek out. I have the Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft in my driver (R9 SuperTri 9.5°) and the Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff in my 3W (15° X2 Hot). I bought both of them before I knew of MGS, and at that point I'm not even sure I knew that extra stiff shafts existed, let alone that I might need one. I'm sure the stiffness incompatibility doesn't help either of them, but I'm not sure if I could really well discern which shaft I like better. The Aldila feels like the head gets a little loose on me if that makes sense, but the Fujikura feels like it's pretty light. I'll be honest with you though, I've not swung a ton of different shafts so I don't have much to compare to and am mostly just trying to give you as much info as I can.

Again, thank you @Manimal26 for your time and willingness to impart your expertise! I think if I lived anywhere near Fort Worth I'd be headed your way for a fitting in person!

@ncwoz I’ll address the hand angles first...

82C59C55-3970-416B-BCD1-931AB755C00E.jpeg.c9b28ac84660f79c337b99bc9c7797ac.jpeg

here is someone who had a similar back swing that mirrors you and here is the same person after working on their hand depth... down the line is hard to see so I’ll include a head on as well, but hopefully you can see how everything is more inline and on plane...

94EA4EA2-D4BB-4278-94C9-9347F7F67CBE.jpeg.b354457b7ac85ae783f17b0ff6517c15.jpeg 
 

Here is the head on... if you look at the angle created on the left it’s 90ish and the one on the right is 120ish... at this angle the club has to travel much farther because the club actually make a sort of loop and lag is created... you could maybe take that hybrid speed from 108mph to maybe as high as 115mph+ Just because the club has to travel further... Hence why they say longer drivers go farther... 

 

does this make sense? 

  • Like 2

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Oh man, now you've got me digging into the memory banks a bit;) That was actually another thing I wasn't super impressed by the fitter with, he didn't really even say which heads we were going to try. Not sure why I didn't just ask or look myself, I guess I just got caught up in the moment.

I know for sure I also hit the Apex (forged I think), i500s, MP20 HMBs, and I think also the T200s. There were probably another two or three heads I'm forgetting/didn't register the day of as well.

Seeing all the hardware these places have on the walls would make it easy to get "caught up in the moment".  I suspect most of the better fitters can place clients into a club category range pretty quickly and just tend to jump right to the more popular mfg's/models.  It would seem like they should provide a full print out of all shot data for the final combinations.  

  • Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ncwoz said:

I have the Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft in my driver (R9 SuperTri 9.5°) and the Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff in my 3W (15° X2 Hot). I bought both of them before I knew of MGS, and at that point I'm not even sure I knew that extra stiff shafts existed, let alone that I might need one. I'm sure the stiffness incompatibility doesn't help either of them, but I'm not sure if I could really well discern which shaft I like better. The Aldila feels like the head gets a little loose on me if that makes sense, but the Fujikura feels like it's pretty light.

@ncwoz I am by no means an expert... I just try to study and learn everyday and help people as much as possible...

Driver / 3W are two critical clubs but it depends on how you use them along with how well you strike them... I’ll address driver than the metal wood...

Driver: I’d be willing to guess this is where your 2 way miss occurs the most... the driver you have is very unforgiving not just from a technology perspective but 9.5 degree of loft requires you to hit up much more on the ball than a 12 or 10.5... because you stand up a little and if you have been told get behind the ball you end up leaning back which flings the face wide open and you get the wicked slice instead you release the club early and you get the dreaded hook... I personally use a 10.5 SIM in neutral setting weight all the way in the tie which allows me to hit monster cuts and it allows me to fairway find on easy push draws since I don’t have to hit up as much... I’d find a used m2/m1 or m4/m3 in 10.5  or something around those lines and stick that Fujikura In it if it’s adjustable tip can’t remember at this moment... that motre f1 is a solid shaft from 10 years ago or so and they just rereleased a new version... that being said I would need to see some ball data to go from there, but guessing you might want more height out of the ball so I’d see if anyone on here is selling a Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro blue 60TX and or 70TX... also check eBay but ask for the serial number under the grip so you can check if it’s real...

Metal Wood slot: first the head feeling a little loose makes sense... the Aldila tour green is a fantastic driver shaft but does not always work well in a fairway wood... I can explain and let me know if you want to know why... This is huge do you use it as a tee club and off the deck or just the tee or deck? I use mine almost always off the deck. Short par 4’s Or extreme dog legs I’d rather hit a 4i or 2i. If you are using it for both you generate enough speed but I’d save some money and get the Mitsubishi Tensei Av blue 75x... actually from a price perspective the Av would be good for the driver too... the aluminum vapor is lighter that the dupoint Kevlar in the handle and reduces the counter balancing effect which would be good for your 3W... these are both mid launch mid spin profiles but plenty of tour players have these and shafts like them... another combo would be the graphite design tour AD-BB 6x/7x... you can find used BB’s pretty reasonable... those are just guesses I’d be curious to get your feedback after trying them... I actually sell more Titleist 4W and other OEM’s 5W than 3W... 3W is one of the most challenging deck clubs to use for anyone at any skill level... adding the loft and shortening the club tends to help people find the middle more often.... 

  • Like 4

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EEZurg said:

I'm lost....all the "extra distance" someone went.....best feeling 4-PW.....Callaway cheaper so I went that way.  

Not distance is metres, distance in service. None of the other centres suggested a mixed set.  And yes I had set a $1000 budget and was happy to go slightly over however by the time I added a Mizuno Hybrid the price was $1680 and I was not prepared to pay that much.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@ncwoz I’ll address the hand angles first...

82C59C55-3970-416B-BCD1-931AB755C00E.jpeg.c9b28ac84660f79c337b99bc9c7797ac.jpeg

here is someone who had a similar back swing that mirrors you and here is the same person after working on their hand depth... down the line is hard to see so I’ll include a head on as well, but hopefully you can see how everything is more inline and on plane...

94EA4EA2-D4BB-4278-94C9-9347F7F67CBE.jpeg.b354457b7ac85ae783f17b0ff6517c15.jpeg 
 

Here is the head on... if you look at the angle created on the left it’s 90ish and the one on the right is 120ish... at this angle the club has to travel much farther because the club actually make a sort of loop and lag is created... you could maybe take that hybrid speed from 108mph to maybe as high as 115mph+ Just because the club has to travel further... Hence why they say longer drivers go farther... 

 

does this make sense? 

Ahh, okay yep that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!


Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@ncwoz I am by no means an expert... I just try to study and learn everyday and help people as much as possible...

Driver / 3W are two critical clubs but it depends on how you use them along with how well you strike them... I’ll address driver than the metal wood...

Driver: I’d be willing to guess this is where your 2 way miss occurs the most... the driver you have is very unforgiving not just from a technology perspective but 9.5 degree of loft requires you to hit up much more on the ball than a 12 or 10.5... because you stand up a little and if you have been told get behind the ball you end up leaning back which flings the face wide open and you get the wicked slice instead you release the club early and you get the dreaded hook... I personally use a 10.5 SIM in neutral setting weight all the way in the tie which allows me to hit monster cuts and it allows me to fairway find on easy push draws since I don’t have to hit up as much... I’d find a used m2/m1 or m4/m3 in 10.5  or something around those lines and stick that Fujikura In it if it’s adjustable tip can’t remember at this moment... that motre f1 is a solid shaft from 10 years ago or so and they just rereleased a new version... that being said I would need to see some ball data to go from there, but guessing you might want more height out of the ball so I’d see if anyone on here is selling a Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro blue 60TX and or 70TX... also check eBay but ask for the serial number under the grip so you can check if it’s real...

Metal Wood slot: first the head feeling a little loose makes sense... the Aldila tour green is a fantastic driver shaft but does not always work well in a fairway wood... I can explain and let me know if you want to know why... This is huge do you use it as a tee club and off the deck or just the tee or deck? I use mine almost always off the deck. Short par 4’s Or extreme dog legs I’d rather hit a 4i or 2i. If you are using it for both you generate enough speed but I’d save some money and get the Mitsubishi Tensei Av blue 75x... actually from a price perspective the Av would be good for the driver too... the aluminum vapor is lighter that the dupoint Kevlar in the handle and reduces the counter balancing effect which would be good for your 3W... these are both mid launch mid spin profiles but plenty of tour players have these and shafts like them... another combo would be the graphite design tour AD-BB 6x/7x... you can find used BB’s pretty reasonable... those are just guesses I’d be curious to get your feedback after trying them... I actually sell more Titleist 4W and other OEM’s 5W than 3W... 3W is one of the most challenging deck clubs to use for anyone at any skill level... adding the loft and shortening the club tends to help people find the middle more often.... 

Super interesting! I use my 3w probably like 75-25 off the tee vs off the deck. And I'm definitely curious what makes the Aldilas good driver shafts but not always good fairway shafts, I absolutely love getting into the details on equipment like that.

  • Like 1

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Super interesting! I use my 3w probably like 75-25 off the tee vs off the deck. And I'm definitely curious what makes the Aldilas good driver shafts but not always good fairway shafts, I absolutely love getting into the details on equipment like that.

So your shaft is basically now the Rogue Silver 130. The profile was proven on tour but has been updated with new materials allowing it to be slightly lighter while maintaining profile and feel. I would say the Tour green was counter balanced before that was a cool term to use. The Rouge 130 is even more counter balanced now as that is becoming the trend in driver shafts. It is a classic low launch design that has been copied by just about every other shaft manufacturer and part of the reason MCA (Mitsubishi) purchased Aldila. As I mentioned counter balancing tends to work well in a driver shaft but I see most people struggle with that in a metalwood. If you look on tour any week you will see many players with Cb driver shafts but very few in the metal wood. Reasons are two fold. one its much more difficult to add head weight back to a metal wood. just less area than a driver for things like hot metal. While tour pros can get heavier weights us commoners can not most of the time. having a head that feels light can cause all sorts of issues...

 

  • Like 3

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man is this turning into a great thread - I have nothing positive to add beyond having had a top end of the bag fitting from an experienced Ping fitter who said the identical thing about 3 wood to what Manimal has said - loose it!!!!

I’m in a G410!5 wood which is so strong it’s really a 4 wood. When you like at my ARCCOS numbers there’s all of 5 yards difference between the two clubs and I actually carry the 5 wood as far or a bit farther than the 3 wood.

3 wood was a great place to hang my mask though so I kept it in the bag far longer than I should have. Finally took it out in favor of 56/60. I hang the mask on the SuperSpeed stick that’s in my bag to warm up with. :)


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mchiller said:

You are truly a manimal. Unbelievable that you took the time analyze his swing. Poster of the year type stuff right there!

I'm pretty new here and I don't know if this is a thing... If it is, I second this nomination. If it is not, I second this nomination to be the first recipient haha

  • Like 3

Driver - Titleist 983K 9.5* - Titleist 4560 S-Flex Shaft

2 Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

4-9 Irons - Taylormade R7TP True Temper X-100 Shafts

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - Mizuno/Bettinardi Black Carbon BC1

Ball - Jack Nicklaus Black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, revkev said:

Man is this turning into a great thread - I have nothing positive to add beyond having had a top end of the bag fitting from an experienced Ping fitter who said the identical thing about 3 wood to what Manimal has said - loose it!!!!

I’m in a G410!5 wood which is so strong it’s really a 4 wood. When you like at my ARCCOS numbers there’s all of 5 yards difference between the two clubs and I actually carry the 5 wood as far or a bit farther than the 3 wood.

3 wood was a great place to hang my mask though so I kept it in the bag far longer than I should have. Finally took it out in favor of 56/60. I hang the mask on the SuperSpeed stick that’s in my bag to warm up with. 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

G410 is a monster 5w... it along with the ts2/3 4w I fit so many people into... I carry driver 4-pw gw/sw/lb  putter every round But I rotate 3w 2i 3i and 4h based on the course layout  and wind etc... my home course has a 620 yard par 5 so if I rip a drive I can get home sometimes in 2... 

Most golfers actually hit a 5w farther than a 3w and having another wedge never hurts after driver I build my bag from putter up wedges irons the rest of the top...

quickest way to lower your score is make putts and hit great tee shots...

  • Like 3

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

I'm pretty new here and I don't know if this is a thing... If it is, I second this nomination. If it is not, I second this nomination to be the first recipient haha

@MyWifesSwingCoachFirst welcome! I appreciate the complement... that would be cool if that’s a thing and who knows if it is or not, but I honestly really enjoy helping people... golf has given so much to  me so I try to help and give back when I can...

Are you just new to MGS or new to golf in general? Happy to help in anyway I can

 

  • Like 3

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has been a great read!@Manimal26 Sounds like the fitter relationship is just as important as the swing coach relationship! Their knowledge and motivation definitely will impact your fitting: I’m glad my fitter and I were on the same page! Disappointed to hear about CC not doing mixed sets: since I think my next iron set could definitely benefit from having players distance 4 -7 and more of a muscle back/blade for the rest of the set.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

 

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Micah T said:

This thread has been a great read!@Manimal26 Sounds like the fitter relationship is just as important as the swing coach relationship! Their knowledge and motivation definitely will impact your fitting: I’m glad my fitter and I were on the same page! Disappointed to hear about CC not doing mixed sets: since I think my next iron set could definitely benefit from having players distance 4 -7 and more of a muscle back/blade for the rest of the set.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

You are a braver man than me @Micah T... I was going to do t-100 3i-6i and 620 CB/mb in 7i-pw... but no matter how good the 620’s felt and looked  (and they do) the forgiveness factor of the T-100 was just to important for me... plus not playing as much as I want to I’ll take the extra help...I’ll be interested to test the new p-770 -1deg loft and see how they compare... my playing partner who is a +6 HDCP ditches his honma rose protos for PXG 0311t’s  and ditches his 4i for a udi 4i...  he may not have the power I do but dude never misses a fairway or green almost and just takes 1 club extra and smokes me... although I’ll take some credit since I fit him into his PXG’s 😆

  • Like 2

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are a braver man than me [mention=93610]Micah T[/mention]... I was going to do t-100 3i-6i and 620 CB/mb in 7i-pw... but no matter how good the 620’s felt and looked  (and they do) the forgiveness factor of the T-100 was just to important for me... plus not playing as much as I want to I’ll take the extra help...I’ll be interested to test the new p-770 -1deg loft and see how they compare... my playing partner who is a +6 HDCP ditches his honma rose protos for PXG 0311t’s  and ditches his 4i for a udi 4i...  he may not have the power I do but dude never misses a fairway or green almost and just takes 1 club extra and smokes me... although I’ll take some credit since I fit him into his PXG’s

Those TM’s are super sexy: I’ll be hitting those too. Maybe just a T-100/T-200 combo set, or a P-770/P-7MB combo set! Then again, I’ve always wanted to try Mizuno’s...

I might need a club ho badge to go with my others...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Micah T said:


Those TM’s are super sexy: I’ll be hitting those too. Maybe just a T-100/T-200 combo set, or a P-770/P-7MB combo set! Then again, I’ve always wanted to try Mizuno’s...

I might need a club ho badge to go with my others... emoji23.png


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It will all honestly depend on what the offset is on the 921's and 770's ... The t-100's are not to bad but less is more in this case.... Couple people I work with are on staff with Mizuno and are always yapping lol... but I have only ever gamed Titleist irons so for me it will be tough to change. I am going to give the 921 tour's and p770 and fair shot though. 

  • Like 3

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Micah T said:


Those TM’s are super sexy: I’ll be hitting those too. Maybe just a T-100/T-200 combo set, or a P-770/P-7MB combo set! Then again, I’ve always wanted to try Mizuno’s...

I might need a club ho badge to go with my others... emoji23.png


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ah...a man after my own heart! 

  • Like 1

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@MyWifesSwingCoachFirst welcome! I appreciate the complement... that would be cool if that’s a thing and who knows if it is or not, but I honestly really enjoy helping people... golf has given so much to  me so I try to help and give back when I can...

Are you just new to MGS or new to golf in general? Happy to help in anyway I can

 

I am new to MGS and I am getting back into golf after almost a decade hiatus since high school. My Wife expressed interest and now that I am practicing swings and putting in the living room my 6 y/o is interested as well. So I am excited at the prospect of golfing with my Wife and children because I am not one to golf alone except on occasion. I am currently building up my bag (lockdown purchases of 4-9 of TM r7TP irons, a Adams Idea Pro hybrid, and also just purchased a TM r9 Superdeep TP Driver from BST, looking for wedges and possibly a fairway wood) and trying to "find my swing" to quote Baggar Vance.

But back to @Manimal26 and this thread, you say you are not an expert but I hope that when I get some consistency in my swing and get fitted that my fitter has as much knowledge as you do as well as the genuine desire to help fellow golfers as you do. It is immensely impressive what you were able to do with a simple video of someone hitting a couple of balls. Honestly, if I ever find my way to Texas I would say it is worth it to track you down for a fitting haha Just the amount of insight you have into the swing and equipment and the knowledge that you would share is worth whatever you would charge.

And with that I will end my longest post yet with two things: 1 Poster of the Year (or month or week) doesn't sound like too bad of an idea and 2 This has me thinking about what all the guys more knowledgeable than myself would be able to ask a potential fitter to ensure the best possible end result sort of like a questionnaire to vet a fitter. But rather than hijacking this thread, I will create a new thread.

Edited by MyWifesSwingCoach
  • Like 4

Driver - Titleist 983K 9.5* - Titleist 4560 S-Flex Shaft

2 Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

4-9 Irons - Taylormade R7TP True Temper X-100 Shafts

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - Mizuno/Bettinardi Black Carbon BC1

Ball - Jack Nicklaus Black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Manimal26 - thanks for all of the great insights in this thread, much appreciated. i have a question on irons. what type of iron / iron profiles tend to work best for diggers? just trying to get an idea for the future, not planning to look at new irons any time soon.

  • Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Manimal26. Following up on the CC perfect fit guarantee.

I was able to go in for my refit today. Brought my new fitted sticks and my old 6 iron since they use it for fittings. Fitter asked me to warm up and while doing so he took measurements of my two 6 irons. New fitted 6 iron (JPX 919 forged with Nippon NS Pro 950GH) was a D2 swing weight and old one (MP-54 with dynamic golf s300) was a D5. I explained i had been hitting a lot of chunks and toes and my backswing had gotten even longer (I already go past parallel with my old clubs) with my new clubs. As I was warming up, I asked him what my options were and I got the response "we're going to tinker." So I hit some shots with my new 6 iron and he said he was really going to being paying attention to swing path, angle of attack, and face to path. Maybe 1 or 2 others were in there too.

After I hit my new 6 iron and my old 6 iron he noticed the biggest difference was in attack angle. New 6 iron was about -7 and old was about -5. Not sure what I should be at for a 6 iron but even with my driver I have a -2 to -3 AoA. Believe my swing speed with the 6 iron was about 88mph and I flying it about 175-180. He also noticed my new 6 iron was longer in length from club head to butt (and in distance a bit, but not important here).  He then added some lead tape to the hosel of my 6 iron to test adding what more head weight would do. That brought my AoA back to about -5, what my old 6 iron was. Then he was quick to say he will cut down the shafts to what my old ones are and add in some tip weight to bring it to D5. 

All in all, it felt a bit like he was looking for the quick fix and I didn't really have a chance to explore other options. I could have been more vocal, but I'll give these a shot and he said to check back in with him after a few weeks with the new sticks to let him know how it's going and we can look again if we need to. 

 

Edited by mchiller
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...