Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Fellow Low-Handicappers with Putting Yips?

I guess it is dumb to ask only low-handicappers, but I have been having massive problems with the flatstick. 

Humble brag, but I would have/should have had three rounds sub-70 this year if it weren’t for the putter. I have had a few rounds were I have missed only one green and only one fairway and still shot 76. 

Yesterday I had a 77... all bogies were three putts. I HAVE THE YIPS. 

Any advice or videos or ideologies you have used to come out of this. I am trying hard not to get frustrated and simply enjoy that I have these gifted to be a plus handicap, but my frustration is mounting and I am getting sad. 

M5 Taylormade w/Hazrds Yellow (small batch)

Ping G410 Hybrid w/Evenflow protoype

Taylormade 4-PW P-750 w/C-Taper Lite 

Taylormade HiToe 50, 54, 60 w/project-x 

Scotty Squareback or Spyder X 

Why do you say you have the yips? Describe your tendencies? Is it the yips or are you just a bad putter that needs to practice, change your setup/approach, or have the wrong expectations.

Does this video summarize your thoughts?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What was the length of the 1st putt on the greens you 3 putted for the 77? Even pros have 3 putts, it is not a realistic goal that they will never occur. Once you are 50-60' away from the hole, 3 putt% starts getting pretty high. 

1 hour ago, alexhofeldt said:

I guess it is dumb to ask only low-handicappers, but I have been having massive problems with the flatstick. 

Humble brag, but I would have/should have had three rounds sub-70 this year if it weren’t for the putter. I have had a few rounds were I have missed only one green and only one fairway and still shot 76. 

Yesterday I had a 77... all bogies were three putts. I HAVE THE YIPS. 

Any advice or videos or ideologies you have used to come out of this. I am trying hard not to get frustrated and simply enjoy that I have these gifted to be a plus handicap, but my frustration is mounting and I am getting sad. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Jumping in here I would echo what I'm reading already.  What's your average distance to the hole on GIRs and also at your level (my lowest handicap ever was 0.8) you should know where your 50/50 make is. 

If you are leaving yourself outside of 30 feet 6 times a round and three putting half of those you might have a problem with your iron play as much as your putting but even if you identify it as a putting issue you'd want to work on your lag putting.  If however you find that you are missing a lot of 3 and 4 footers as opposed to 6 or 7 footers because of poor distance control - then you've got to figure out a way to shore up that short putting.

I'd say that you should carefully analyze the real culprit before diving into making any changes.  Sometimes data has revealed that my issues were different from what I originally thought.

Good luck! 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... The vast majority of the time, the yips come from being results oriented and not stroke oriented. You can control your stroke. You cannot control your results. Once your focus shifts to "I have to make this" from "let me put a good stroke on this putt and focus on my speed" you are in big trouble. More often than not focusing on the stroke will result in a good result. But focusing on the result will more often than not result in a bad stroke. Obviously this is all mental, so focus and a mental adjustment is necessary. That said, some yips come from physical problems but of course that is a different story. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x