TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub 70 699 Pro Irons

Our Sponsors

1.) 12 Handicap ; Glendale Heights, IL

2.) Current 8 iron is a Miura CB-2008 with Dynamic Gold S400 Shaft.  Current carry distance is 145 yards.

3.) I have followed Sub70 since seeing them at the Chicagoland golf show and learning they are a local (Sycamore, IL) company.  I have always enjoyed supporting local companies.  I have a few friends that have played their wedges and hybrid.  I am very curious to see how their irons would compare to a perceived “quality” iron like Miura.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Testers Announced! Reviewing the Sub 70 699 Pro irons will be: @Smellis745 @Tom the Golf Nut @GolfSpy MPR Reviews coming soon! _______________________________

Testers Announced! I'm thinking that Sub 70, as a company, is like America and Alexander Hamilton: young, scrappy, and hungry. And I'm also thinking that with a good iron in my hand,

Thanks everyone. I just did the happy dance around my office! ( At Work ). Ok i did get some strange looks......  I will put these to the test for sure!

Posted Images

1. 6.5, Nashville, TN

2. 165-170yds with Callaway Apex CF '16

3. Sub70 is a direct to consumer brand that is fairly new on the market, but has met strong reviews and producing numbers very comparable to the big brands. They are great looking set of irons at an unreal price. I've actually looked into them as a second set already, but have yet to see them in person.

1. 12 handicap located in Dyersville, Iowa

2. I currently use Ping i210 irons and my 8 iron usually goes 163-165 

3. I know they are direct to consumer and I researched them before going with my i210s. It was easier for me to demo the pings and other major OEMs and that was probably the main reason I never thought too much about trying the 699 Pros.

1. 11.2 hcp Madison, WI

2. Bridgestone j15 DPF -- 148 carry

3. Direct to consumer brand out of northern Illinois. Most of my knowledge comes from MyGolfSpy reviews. I have visited their website a couple times, used their fitting tool, and created a set of 699 pros. 

1. 7.8 Pittsburgh, Pa

2. Sub 70 699. PW-4. The rest is a mixture that will most likely be replaced by sub 70 soon. 8 iron distance varies but around 145 yards. 

3. A lot! I have been in touch with Jason and his team during the purchase of my 699 irons. Would love to test tho pro version to provide insight between the two options. Sub 70 is going to be huge soon! Well in their way. 

1. Handicap and Location: 15, Columbus, Ohio
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance: Ping iblades, 155
  3. What do you know about Sub70? DTC company, distance iron, love the black finish was considering this company to replace my Nike Vapor Pro. From your article they make a good iron. However, I would be nice to hear about the clubs from a player like me. 

1. 8.1 Index from Stamford CT

2. TaylorMade TSi (stiff) irons.  8i: 165

3. They claim that they have the best technology at an affordable price.  They don't sell through 3rd parties or advertise which is why they are so "more affordable".  Forged irons look sexy and thin. Interesting logo with the bold "70".  Going after a younger demo with such futuristic and branded looking equipment.  I'm 33 so I'm in-between the younger and older demo.  I'm analytical by nature (work in Finance) often use an indoor Trackman when practicing at an indoor facility I belong to.

18 handicap in the greater Washington, D.C. area.

Current irons are Nike VR Pro Split-Cavity and 8 iron is 147 carry.

Given the age of my clubs, I've been looking for new ones and naturally came to MGS for the buyer's guides and review. I have tried Sub70's online fitting tool and it intellectually makes sense given the current deficiencies in my game while providing additional insights about grip and lie angles. The DTC model in golf has always fascinated me and I'm keen to try it, but wary of the potential downside of not being able to test the product and analyze its fit. 

Edited by idontnoh
added word and period.

1. My handicap is 6. Location: Midland, MI

2. Current irons are Cobra Bio Cell. Hit my 8 iron 140 yards.

3. Nothing!

4. I play 100-150 rounds/year.

Handicap 1.7 in RIchmond Hill GA

Current set is 718 AP2 and carrry 8 iron 166 yards

Sub 70 is a direct to consumer producer of golf clubs. I am specifcally interesed in the Sub 70 639 Forged Irons Combo with 7-PW blade set-up.

Thank you!

Edited by Golfrtm

1 handicap, located in Richmond, VA

150 8 iron distance

Sub 70 is a relatively new company  hand made irons

Callaway Mavrik  - Driver and 3 Wood

Taylor Made P790 irons

Ping Glide forged wedges

Bettinardi putter

On 7/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

Handicap is a +6 

Current Irons are the Titleist CBs and my 8iron distance is 170

i know a little bit about them through Twitter 

4.5 hdcp - Rochester,NY and Florida

Mizuno JPX 919 - 8 iron 155 yards

no knowledge of new company, but love the black finish look. 70 years old and play many tournaments.

1. Handicap: 13      Location: Los Angeles, CA
  2. Current Irons: Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metal Pro       8-iron distance: 145
  3. What do you know about Sub70? direct to consumer, offering solid tech at a lower price point. 

1. Handicap - 16

New Orleans, LA

2. Current Irons - Callaway Apex 19

8 iron distance - 170

3. Just a little bit. Follow them on Instagram after seeing their success in MyGolfSpy testing. Products seem to be heading toward cult classics too so very interested in the company and watching their success grow.

1) 3.2 handicap located in Hazen North Dakota

2) Currently playing ping i20 irons, I play my 8 iron from 165-185.

3) I came across Sub70 last summer and immediately loved the look of them. I like the idea of a direct to consumer golf company.  I want to get the best bang for my buck on my next set, and Sub70 seems like the way to go for that.  

7 HCP Williamsport, PA 

Cleveland Tour Action 588. 165 yards 

I don’t know much about the company. I know that I’ve looked into many of the non “big 4-5” companies and there’s a lot of solid products but when it comes to spending the money to get fitted, I’ve never pulled the trigger. 

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub70 699 Pro Irons
  • GolfSpy MPR locked this topic