TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub 70 699 Pro Irons

Our Sponsors

1. I'm a 22 handicap living in Salt Lake City, Utah. 

2. My current irons are the Cleveland CBX launchers and my 8 iron (which is very strong lofted to the point of being a 7 iron with identity issues) carries ~150 and runs out an extra 5 to 10 yards depending on slope, surface, and how vindictive it's feeling. 

3. Quite a bit. I have been keeping track of Sub 70 since it was founded. As a fan of Tour Edge and other 'uniqie' business strategies in golf, I loved the idea of Sub 70 offering custom irons at half the price. Similarly, I love their static fitting tool. Even if it misses the mark slightly with some, being able to know that more likely than not your irons need to be a degree flat or you need midsize grips goes a long way for confidence. 

It's been fun listening to interviews with the founder, product testers, and reviewers. And it's refreshing to hear the old Tour Edge pitch of "we'll keep costs down by not paying tour players" with the extra Sub 70 pitch of "unless there's a major game breaking change in the tech, we're not going to release something new just for the sake of releasing something new."

And it doesn't hurt that the clubs are gorgeous. 😉

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Testers Announced! Reviewing the Sub 70 699 Pro irons will be: @Smellis745 @Tom the Golf Nut @GolfSpy MPR Reviews coming soon! _______________________________

Testers Announced! I'm thinking that Sub 70, as a company, is like America and Alexander Hamilton: young, scrappy, and hungry. And I'm also thinking that with a good iron in my hand,

Thanks everyone. I just did the happy dance around my office! ( At Work ). Ok i did get some strange looks......  I will put these to the test for sure!

Posted Images

Baltimore, MD, 12.6 index. 
ping i20’s 145 8 iron 

sub 70 is so sick. I’ve had these in my cart for many months for a complete overhaul but keep chickening out. The Matte black is so pure. 

Handi- +2.2 

Phoenix, AZ

Callaway RazrX muscleback

8 iron -160 summer - 154 winter.  

Unfamiliar with the brand.  Tired of the same brands recreating the same thing with lower lofts and losing feel. 

14 hcp, Plainfield, IL

Currently playing Ben Hogan Edge irons- 8 iron 140 yds

Bought the driving iron from Sub 70 a few months ago and loved it! Highly considering these irons to possibly kick my Hogan’s out of the bag. Also looking to support a local Midwest company that so far has been one of the most impressive purchase experiences I’ve had in golf. It’s going to take a lot to move my current irons out, and I’m interested to see if these have what it takes.

8 HDCP, Louisville Ky

Ping g410, 8 Iron- 174

I know that sub 70 offers great customer service, with their 60 day guarantee as well as everything is custom built. I am actually going to buy one of the new staff bags as they are super cool and look to be great quality 

1. +1.2, Houston TX

2. Taylormade TPMB, 175 yards

3. Don’t know anything but would like to learn more and try their irons out  

Edited by NickC13
Forgot my city

Handicap 8 location westchester county New York. 

Current irons: Callaway XR Pro irons, 8 iron distance 165

i know that sub 70 is a direct to consumer iron company, there clubs are reasonably priced for the quality of the product made. I am currently in the market for new irons. 

1. 6.2 Handi. Duluth, MN

2. 716 Titleist CB’s. 8-iron distance - 165 yds

3. I have never heard of Sub70, so that’s what makes it exciting. If they have a further flight than my current set then it’s worth looking into. I like the looks of them and would love the opportunity to try them out and get my opinion out there. 

1. 5 Handicap, Austin, TX
  2. Taylormade P790 (newer version) graphite stiff shafts, 145 yards
  3. Everything I know about Sub70, I learned from MyGolfSpy. Direct to consumer, quality products, good test results. I have debated trying. I like the look, offset and loft specs.

1.5 handicap out of Medford NJ 

Taylormade PSI Tour irons... 8 Iron 160-165 Carry. 

Haven't heard anything about these irons never seen them before. 

1.7. Woodridge, IL

pxg 8 iron- 169

I’ve honestly only heard of them a few times. I don’t know much, if anything about the company besides the fact they are a dtc company. Seems like they make a legit product. Would love to test them against my current set. 

1. 6.9, Madison, CT

2. 2011 TM MC (the Danny Berger’s) - 165 8 iron

3. Sub70 has always jumped out as the best lower cost DTC option but I’ve always been a bit skeptical of ordering clubs untested online. After hearing your comments on the pod about how accessible and customer centric they are, I would love to try them.

8 HDCP Louisville ky

ping g410

8 iron is 170 

and I know that sub 70 takes a lot of pride in their works, as everything is custom made. they have excellent customer service and I have inquired about their new staff bag. 

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub70 699 Pro Irons
  • GolfSpy MPR locked this topic