GolfSpy STUDque

TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub 70 699 Pro Irons

Our Sponsors

Handicap - 16 Cleveland Ohio

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - 8 Iron 145 Yds

I honestly do not know too much about them other than a few reviews on MySpy and other sites.  I know the are DTC and they price their product cheaper than comparable product.  All of their clubs look really good, I've just never seen them in person or gotten the chance to hit them.  

:titelist-small: Titleist 917 D w/ Diamana Blue S 

:nike-small: VR 4-Wood w/ Diamana Red

:nike-small: Vapor 3-4 Hybrid w/ Stock Diamana Stiff

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged w/ KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S

:cleveland-small: RTX 50° w/ S400

:nike-small:  VR Forged 54°, 58° w/ S400

:scotty-small: Studio Select 1.5 w/ Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:bridgestone-small: BXS

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1C

On 7/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

Count me in, boys. I already play the hybrid and love it.

Karl Theobald

San Francisco, CA. 8 Handicap

Currently bagging Mizuno MP-68/52 combo set

8-iron goes 145.

Originally heard about Sub70 from No Putts Given and got ahold of them by phone and they sent me a few demos. 

1. 6.2 from Tinton Falls, NJ

2.  Callaway Apex Pro 19, 155 yards

3. This is the first time I am hearing of the company Sub70. 

Posted (edited)

I actually just ordered my sub70 699 pro black irons. I’m a former college golfer. Age 39. I keep a 4 handicap. Currently play Mizuno JPX-825 forged. I play in atlanta. Happy to do reviews once I receive my order. Can already attest to their customer service!

Zach Shewmaker

Edited by Zach Shewmaker

Posted (edited)

1.Hdcp: 9 / Philadelphia,PA

2. 16 Apex Pro / 8iron = 160-165Yrd

3. I’ve seen their products online and know they are doing DTC only to try to cut costs. It seems like they make good quality clubs with more customization than what’s available from a box store but you need to know what you want. (to know that, you need to be properly fitted and probably less than a 15 hdcp)I do like that their fitting tool is fast and straightforward but you’re on your own for shaft model. I’m not convinced they can compete with what TM, Callaway, Mizuno, and Titleist are putting out in terms of the player iron category because of use of tungsten/titanium but I like a medium thin top-line and despise offset so it sounds like they are moving in a good direction just a bit skeptical they are going to change the industry. 

Edited by JMAC34

1. 8 handicap Fort Bragg NC

2. Nike victory reds, 8 iron 155

3. I am not familiar with sub zero...have just recently done some research on them, and am extremely interested in becoming a tester, with the possibility of lowering my handicap 

Big fan of Sub70's mission!

1. Handicap and Location: 3.2 handicap, Chicago, IL
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance: Wilson Staff Tour Blade (old model), 8 iron is a 165 club
  3. What do you know about Sub70? I know they're headquarted outside of Chicago and are led by a very dedicated owner that loves to help people get fit for his equipment (I've heard great things about how hands on he is). They have top-notch equipment at an affordable price due to their DTC model and lack of marketing spend, which I'm all for. I also know that their fairway wood has tested extremely well and so well that even Mark Calcavecchia asked for a few. Before the virus hit I was ready to make the drive to Sub70 and get things started but with everything going on I've decided to work on feel this season with a short set of Wilson irons, but I'm ready to test and put a full set of Sub70 in the bag if I have the chance. I really like the look of the 699 Pro Black irons, the Forged Black Wedges, the Pro Fairway, the 939X Hybrid, and I'd definitely consider the 839D Driver and the Sycamore 001 Blade Putter. (I like to go all in on a brand haha)

Driver: Taylormade M3 with Tensei Blue X-stiff 60

Wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17* 3 Wood with UST Elements Chrome TSPX 75FT

Hybrid or 3 iron: unknown, search underway

Irons: 4-PW Wilson Tour Blades DG Pro S300

Wedge: Wilson PMP 50, 55, 59 KBS Hi-rev 2.0

Putter: Wilson Staff 8802 milled 

Bag: Shapland Stand Bag

15 handicap Nashville,TN

Callaway X forged (2009) 8 iron - 155

I know that sub 70 is direct to consumer, and they focus on value for your money. They look pretty awesome for what kind of value you get.

William Dickman. Handicap +2 . Current irons PXG GEN3 . 8Iron range 132-144yds. First I have heard of Sub 70.

Whoever gets these is super lucky!!! I got my set a couple months ago and they are awesome, if you like the Taylormade p790's and/or the Mizuno mp-20 MB's these 699 pros fit right in between them!! good luck!!

Right Handed, My Bag:   M2 Driver 9 Degree Stiff shaft (2017);    RBZ Black 3W Ventus Stiff;   F7 3 Hybrid;   4-9 Iron Sub 70 699 Pro's standard length +2 lie stiff S300's;   48 Degree Sub 70 KBS Tour stiff shaft;    Bombtech 52/56/60 stock stiff shafts;   Evenroll Tour Stroke Putter 34 Inch  Gravity Grip;   Snell MTB.  I live in Southern Utah, 17 Handicap.

Hello My Golf Spy, 

I would be the perfect fit for testing these. My last two sets of clubs were the Taylormade P790s and now the Titleist T-MB 716s. I am +0.2 handicap and have always played players clubs, but recently over the past 4 years fell in love with the hollow blade. Gives me the look I want with a little extra forgiveness. I am a school teacher and golf coach and play every day and have retro fitted my garage with a net a country club elite real feel mat and a SkyTrak. This will give me everything I need to do range testing and on course testing. I know my spin rates and carry yardages through my bag and really love to get into the feel and sound of irons. I have owned dozens of sets in the past 30 years of playing and firmly believe if you don’t love a club it doesn’t belong in the bag. Thank you for your consideration.

Mike Hathorn

Hartford High School technology teacher and varsity golf coach.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

6.9 USGA Miami, FL

Adams A-Tour irons 8 iron is 140-155

direct to consumer company been around a few years have looked at their irons a few times as they were rated decently.

Michael Miami, FL
9.3 USGA index
Cobra Amp Cell D Driver stiff shaft 9.5 degree
Callaway 13 degree Diablo 3 wood stiff shaft
Tour Edge Exotics #3 19 degree rescue

E21 Rescue #4 23 degree rescue
TaylorMade M2 6 iron Stiff true temper shaft(4 iron)

Adams XTD A Tour Irons with S300 True Temper shafts 5- GW
Wilson Staff SW 56 degree
GEL Ruby 33 in cut down with Washington Capitals oversize grip

Posted (edited)
  1. 6 - Harrison, AR
  2. Adams Idea CMB - 161
  3. Never heard of Sub 70. I looked them up & they seem to have a good product/game plan, but it will take a lot to get me to change my irons. Testing/changing my driver is another story...
Edited by der Vater
Add 8 iron yardage

Pebble Beach, CA - 5 hcp.

callaway x forged/apex mb combo, 8 iron 155-160 (apex mb, 34 degrees loft)

I bought my current irons used, and learned about sub 70 when I was looking for irons to update my Nike pro combos (but got a great deal on the callaways this winter) - the price of irons in the players/players distance category has gotten so high that the DTC options look really appealing, and the sub 70 reviews were really encouraging. Having tested a bunch of shafts I know what I like/what fits me, and their 60 day money back guarantee makes trying their irons a zero risk option.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg

Callaway x forged UT 24, 27

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Odyssey Stroke Lab double wide

1.  4.6 Handicap - Franklin, TN

2.  Cleveland CG16 Tour Irons, Black Pearl Finish - Average distance with 8-iron is exactly 147 yards

3.  Honestly, I have not heard anything about the Sub 70 irons. But that is probably a good thing, as I will not be biased in any way when reviewing these irons.

Handicap 5

Location Brandenburg, KY

Current irons TaylorMade 2019 P790, 4-pw, dg105x, 1/2” long, standard lie

8 iron distance 158

I know that Sub70 is a DTC company based in Illinois.  From what I’ve read Mr. Hiland is extremely hands on from start to finish.  Their customer service may be second to none.  I’ve been extremely curious about their products and would love to try these out and to be able to give an in-depth and honest review.

Handicap 14

Distance with an 8-iron: 150 yards (at Denver's elevation)

I have heard the name, but really don't know much about the company. I believe, however, that the direct to consumer model is great, and would love to be part of this experience. The clubs are beautiful!!