TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub 70 699 Pro Irons

Our Sponsors

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Testers Announced! Reviewing the Sub 70 699 Pro irons will be: @Smellis745 @Tom the Golf Nut @GolfSpy MPR Reviews coming soon! _______________________________

Testers Announced! I'm thinking that Sub 70, as a company, is like America and Alexander Hamilton: young, scrappy, and hungry. And I'm also thinking that with a good iron in my hand,

Thanks everyone. I just did the happy dance around my office! ( At Work ). Ok i did get some strange looks......  I will put these to the test for sure!

Posted Images

1)  I'm a 19 handicap and live in Highland Park, IL.  

2)  Current irons are a a Wilson Ultra amateur set from 2017, and my 8-iron carries 165 yards.  

3)  I didn't know much about Sub 70 until I saw some info about them on MGS.  I love that they're a midwest brand based west of Chicago trying to put old school craftsmanship into every club they make.  Coincidentally enough their HQ is just a few towns over from some of my family, and that I know the area somewhat well.  Seems like Sub 70 is trying to take all the "fluff" or costly marketing out of golf clubs, and working to give players the best quality tools to be successful out there.  

Thanks for the opportunity!

-Adam

1. I’m a 10 and live in San Diego. Not too far from Torrey Pines actually. 

2. My current irons are the 2014 Callaway Apex forged and my 8 iron distance is 160 yards. 

3. I saw them in the reviews of Irons and was impressed by their results. Been looking through the website and user reviews, which both seem to be quite promising. 

1) 7.6 handicap Salt Lake City, UT

2) Titleist AP3 Project X 5.5 shafts

8 iron 185 carry 

3) Not much: I know they are DTC and some of my fellow club ho’s have been interested in the wedges...

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

1. Handicap of 4 and located in Hilton Head, South Carolina.

2. My current irons are Titliest 718 MBs and my 8 iron goes 165 yards.

3. I don't know very much information about Sub70, but I love the direct to consumer business model. I think it's great for company's to offer equipment that doesn't have such a large upfront cost for people trying to enjoy the game.

1. 3 handicap 

2. Taylormade Tour preferred blades. 8 iron goes 165 

3. I know absolutely nothing about the clubs or brands 

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location

I am a +2.5 handicap from Raleigh, NC

I currently play Titleist AP2 716 irons, my 8 iron carries around 160

I don’t know a whole lot about sub 70 except the information I received from My Golf Spy emails, but I am intrigued to how they compare to leading competitors.

Handicap: 17.3 index, Location:  Fairfax Station, Va

Current irons: PXG 0211, 8 iron distance: 155 yards

All I know about Sub 70 is they are a direct to consumer club maker.  I like the look of these irons!

Driver:  Callaway Epic Flash, Fujikura Pro 2.0 stiff

3 wood:  Callaway Epic Flash

3 Hybrid:   TaylorMade M2

4 Hybrid:  TaylorMade M2

Irons:  5 iron -PW PXG 0211, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff

50 and 54 degree wedges:  Callaway MD3

58 degree wedge:  Callaway PM grind

Putter:  TaylorMade Ardmore 3

•  

1. 9 Handicap - Harrisburg, PA Area

2. PING iBlades, 8i -165 yards

3. I’ve seen the sub-70 irons around more recently, popping up on some equipment testing comparisons online and through Reddit. I knew they were an affordable direct-to-consumer club maker and have been curious about their performance. 

Zero and reside in Flemington NJ

MP20 MMC 155yards

I saw of them when I was at the PGA Demo Day.  Dont know a great deal about them but when I tried their equipment it was bvery nice.

Wk

11 Pittsburg KS

Ping g25, 8 iron 130

honestly have not heard of the irons or clubs, just what I’ve read on MGS.  Love to test and evaluate these irons.  I’m very opened minded about reviewing things and objective as well.

1. 8.1 and Fuquay Varina, NC
  2. Cobra King Forged Tour and 153 yards
  3. They are direct to consumer company that has great customer service.  Their offerings have been given high marks and I would love to test them as I do have an interest in purchasing the 699 Pro model.

Handicap 10

Austin texas

Callaway Apex 19s,  150 yards

Sub 70 is a DTC company. I've had my eye on them for some time now and have been dying to try some of their equipment. Hoping for the chance!

Edited by Maccaroni_tiime

Handicap +1.0  Houston, Tx

8 iron 140  Callaway Hot X pro

Just heard about Sub 70 about a week ago and checked out their website.

Edited by Bearkat

Current handicap 2.5, Greeneville TN (probably should update my profile handicap)

Current irons Wilson Staff D200. 8 iron distance is 150 yards.

First heard about Sub 70 through MGS. I like the small company approach. I have only heard and read positive results from articles and testing. Love the look and color of the irons. I always played game improvement irons but sure would like to put these to the test.  Who knows maybe I'll be converted to players irons. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Handicap: 14

Nike Vapor Fly 8 iron: Pure shot: 140-145 Avg: 132-138 

Being completely candid, I knew zero about the company prior to this testers wanted. I like their mission statement, passion for the game, and the fact that they are made in the good ol’ USA. 

On 7/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

1. Handicap and Location

1. 10 handicap living in the Los Angeles area

2.Currently I am playing PXG 0311 T and am hitting my 8 iron about 155 yards on average

3. I first heard about Sub 70 from MyGolfSpy and seriously considered ordering a set when I was looking to replace my Taylormade R7 TP irons a few months ago. I went on their website and used their online fitting tool to spec a set out. I was impressed by their website and have heard that their customer service is amazing. I have truly only heard good things about them, and for the price point they seem hard to beat. I grew up learning to play golf with a set of Spalding blades that were given to me by my grandmother. I have always wanted to play with modern blades to see how they compare. In the end I ended up getting a the PXGs because the deal was right. 

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub70 699 Pro Irons
  • GolfSpy MPR locked this topic