GolfSpy STUDque

TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub 70 699 Pro Irons

Our Sponsors

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

1. 3.4 Clearwater, FL

2. Cobra King Forged Ted Black - 170yrd

3. direct to consumer based out of Chicago suburbs. High quality clubs, not high OEM prices. 

Posted (edited)

McKinney, Texas

Handicap Index is 5.4

Ping i500 8 iron = 165-170 yards

Mizuno MP20 HMB 8 iron = 165 yards

Honestly, I don’t know much about Sub70, I did have the opportunity to hit some of their irons as a guy at my club plays them and was thoroughly impressed!  I’m very interested in learning more about Sub70 offerings.

Edited by CBJ

1. 6 handicap, located in Des Moines, IA
  2. Titleist AP3; stock 8 iron distance is 157yds
  3. I've never heard of Sub 70 before this post, but intrigued by this forum and lobe the idea of new golf companies making an impact.

WITB

Driver: Titleist 917D2 10.5* - Speeder 661 Shaft 68gm
3 Wood: Titleist 917D2 15* - Even Flow Blue
Hybrid: King Utility One 3 18.5*
Irons: Titleist AP3 4 Iron - 48*
Wedges: Cleveland RX4 54* and 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna

1. 11.5 Handicap, Atlanta, GA.

2. Mizuno JPX 850 Forged. 8-iron distance is 160 yards

3. I don’t know much about the company currently but really like the direct to consumer model. I have played the Snell golf ball on and off for years. Love the black, tour PVD finish and would love to give them a try!

Thanks!

1. 2.5 index, Phoenix Metro Area (Goodyear)

2. Ping i200, AWT X-flex, 165 carry

3. Never heard of them until seeing you post on IG,  but I like the name! 

Posted (edited)

11.5 GINN,  Camp Hill, Pennsylvania 

PXG 0211 irons, 8 iron 150 yards

what I’ve read is that these irons very good irons for the price. Would like to try them out and see if the reports are true. 

Edited by Joe Heffernan

Hi , my name is John Damond and I’m a +1.9 and hold my Handicap at Heron Ridge Golf Club. My 8 iron distance is 165 stock.  I currently play a combo set of Callaway Apex MB 7-pw and Apex Pro 4-6 with DG Tour Issue X-100 shafts. Ive heard of Sub 70 but I’ve never seen them in person. I’d love to see how these blades shape and flight the ball. I hope I get the chance to test these beauties out!

84B0F9AB-F2BA-4083-ABF9-B211FEB05E1C.jpeg

A591B092-3318-4ADB-8F84-865B9A4C36D4.jpeg

C7E2C345-6C66-481F-87A9-61A8292C2976.jpeg

755D7D53-92C7-450C-B45E-EC7EB1769491.jpeg

F28850CA-AC34-46B6-84F4-F2FCD7969C57.jpeg

Posted (edited)
  1. 2.4 handicap Denver, CO
  2. Mizuno MP63s. 8 iron 180yds (at altitude in Denver) 
  3. I actually have never heard of this company before. After seeing this post I looked them up and their product looks pretty good especially for that price. Buying DTC golf products have always seemed a little intimidating to me not knowing what you're getting without being able to hold or swing the clubs before you buy. Listening to No Putts Given has peaked my curiosity on DTC golf companies. 
Edited by Weston Buker

WITB:

Putter - Rife Sorrento 

Wedges - 60⁰ Callaway MD3 C-grind. 56⁰ Cleveland CG12. 52⁰ Callaway MD4 S-grind

Irons - Mizuno MP63 with Project X Rifle 6.0

Hybrid - Cleveland Launcher 2iron hybrid

Driver - Cobra F9 9⁰ with project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.5

Posted (edited)

Hey folks.
Current handicap as of 7/15/20 is 9.3. Location is Orange County, Tustin California

I hit an 8 iron 175 (I know it’s far and know most don’t believe it, but I’ve been playing a long time) and am currently playing the 2017 Taylormade P790 4 iron through AW with both taylormade wedges for the 60 and 54 degree lofts.

Currently don’t know much about the Sub70, but they look nice and can’t wait to put them in play...

Keep up the good work!

-Steven

Instagram: @steventroncoso

Edited by Steven T
Updated location

• Handicap and Location- 2.7 residing in Jacksonville Florida 
  • Current Irons and 8-iron distance- 2015 Taylormade RSi2 with nippon 950 shafts. 8 iron distance 158-160
  • What do you know about Sub70? A direct to consumer brand that scored high in reviews. Looking over offerings in the player irons these would seem to fit my game. Distance with forgiveness without sacrificing feel and workability. 
    I’ve reached out to discuss with them about their wedges which I believe scored high as well. 

15.2 HC in Vista, Ca (San Diego Area)

Wilson Staff c300s, 8i is 140

I know they are DTC. First heard of them from Danny Woodhead on Twitter actually, he recommended them. Then seen them here on MGS.

Hello! I’m a 9.6 hdcp from Modesto CA. I don’t know much about sub 70 at all. I currently play Callaway Apex irons. I love the look of the sub 70 and I’d really appreciate the chance to test them.

+1 handicap Dayton Ohio 

srixon z blades 6-9, z785 4-5, 165 8 iron carry 

they are a direct to customer company, with good customer service from what I hear. 

Brandon Johnson, MBA
Capt (Sep.) US Air Force 

Ohio State Executive Director

😄218-310-5755

uc?export=download&id=0BxStKdyHnin3bU8xRGFvOGpFSms&revid=0BxStKdyHnin3L2ROUEN2Y2hZcWNuWEsrMllDMXpDL1F6ZmNNPQ

Posted (edited)

1.  Chesapeake, Va    2 Handicap 

2 Ping I5 Black dot - 170 

3. Only heard of them a couple of time / seen them online or in golf magazines. 

Edited by Gibbo757

1. Handicap- 8/ Dallas, TX

2. Ping i200 black dot/ 160-165

3. While scrolling through Instagram between work calls this morning I noticed the Sub 70 post for testers wanted. My first impression of the irons was that they looked a lot like the Ping i500 irons (the same irons I’m strongly considering switching over too). After doing some research I soon realized that they are a fraction of the cost and the only thing I would be sacrificing is the “Ping” logo. 

Sub 70 stands behind their products and and is the gold standard when it comes to customer service. Every set up clubs is handcrafted and comes with a personalized handwritten note from the assembler, with a number for you to call if you have any questions/ concerns. Not usually something that I look for when I’m considering changing my equipment, but really stood out to me. 

I would love the opportunity to test the Sub 70 699 irons, before I go spend $1200+ on a new set of irons. 

6.3 Handicap, Artesia NM

2019 Callaway Apex irons with True Temper Elevate 95 shafts.  Standard loft and lie.  I carry my 8 iron an average of 155 yards.

i have heard of Sub 70 through the Golf Spy network, podcasts mostly.  I’ve done very little research into the product, but I know they are a direct to consumer brand with quality offerings.  

1. Handicap and Location - 2.1 in Durham, NC
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance - Ping i210 (3-PW), 8-iron at 150 yds (144-159 per Arccos)
  3. What do you know about Sub70? - I learned about them a few months ago from the MGS forums and have demo'd a 52* wedge from them. I absolutely loved the feel and performance of it. Their customer support is obnoxiously great. I dare any company in any industry to provide support like Sub70.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Currently Testing:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

Hi,  

I am a teaching professional that shots around par in Wilmington NC.  I hit an 8 iron 150.  Not heard of the company but like to opportunity to try and give feed back.  

thank you 

phil 

1. I’m a 4.3 handicap from Meadville, Pennsylvania 

2. Ping i500 irons, 8iron carry is 170

3. I first heard of Sub 70 through Instagram, I have done some research to see they’ve tested pretty comparable to all major brands, just because they aren’t a big name doesn’t mean they can’t produce results, would love to give them a solid shot. 

1. Handicap 18. Niagara Falls NY

2. Callaway RAZR - X MB 160 carry

3. I have hear them talked about in the no putts given podcast and I’ve been interested in the direct to consumer brands due to the more affordable cost in many cases. All my clubs other than my putter have been second hand due to the price of equipment. I have had them fit to me still but never owned a brand new set of irons.