TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub 70 699 Pro Irons

2 hcp, eastern Washington state

Ping i210, 170 yd 8i

I love supporting small companies. All the big brands have so much marketing budget, it makes it hard for small players to get into the game. Sub70 fits that bill well and is loves to give y'all the chance to put your hat into the ring! Let's do this!

1.  Handicap 10 - O’Fallon, IL

2.  Honma TW 747P - 8 iron 134-140

3.  I have been a customer of Hurricane for at least 10 years.  I have been considering the Sub 70 699s for a couple years.  I almost pulled the trigger on a set last year, and then found out the 699 Pro would soon be available and decided to wait.  I do a lot of business in Chicago, and my plan was to visit Sub 70 in April and hit the irons with different shafts ...... well COVID-19 hit, all business travel was canceled for the year ...... and I’m still playing the Honmas.   🙂

On 7/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

1. 12, Minot, North Dakota

2. Callaway Rogue, 165 yards

3. I know nothing about Sub70

1. I’m a 10 handicap in Frisco, TX (Dallas area) 

2. Currently gaming P790 gen 1s. 8 iron is 150 for me. 

3. Dont know a whole lot about this brand but was surprised by the price and intrigued to learn more about these irons. 

1. Handicap and Location - Handicap of 2 and Syracuse, NY
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance - Titleist 716MB and 168 yards of the 8 iron
  3. What do you know about Sub70? Direct to consumer equipment company

I would love to test the irons.  I am a 16 handicap, play at least weekly at MountainGate Country Club and frequently practice in my yard chipping and hitting into my net.  I hit my 8 iron around 145 yards.  I currently hit with the Calloway Epic irons and epic driver.

1. Handicap and Location 

My index is 13 and I am based in Atlanta, Georgia

1. Current Irons and 8-iron distance

I am playing 2017 TaylorMade M1 irons with Nippon 950GH stiff shafts at D3 swingweight  and one degree upright   My 8 iron typically goes 150 yards - up to five yards  more if I push it  

1. What do you know about Sub70?

I have been looking at purchasing the exact irons (699 Pro) being proposed for testing. Sub70 is a direct to consumer seller of high quality golf clubs from putters through drivers.  They are known for their customer service and pride in what they design, make, and sell. As someone who plays twice a week minimum, I would be honored to give these clubs a good test and provide a thorough written review of my experiences with them. 

Taylormade SIM2 8.0° - Fujikura Ventus Blue with VeloCore 6-R

TaylorMade M3 13° Project X HZRDUS Red 75 5.5
Callaway Big Bertha 19° KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
Callaway Big Bertha 25° KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
TaylorMade M1 5-AW Nippon NS Pro 950GH S
Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11s 35"
Titleist Pro V1x
Arccos Gen 3 sensors

1. Handicap and Location   (5, San Clemente CA)
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance    (Maltby TS1, 140)
  3. What do you know about Sub70?     I've dealt with DTG and Hurricane Golf many times over the years as I am a hobbyist clubmaker. While Sub70 has been intriguing, I've been pretty well locked in to Maltby as my supplier of choice since Wishon went overseas. Would love to try out the Sub70 irons.

I'm a 17.5 handicap playing out of Cleveland, TN

Tommy Armour Atomics, 125

First and foremost, I know Sub 70 is known for their phenomenal customer service. Jason and his crew are know to go above and beyond to make sure their customers get the best experience possible. I also know as a DTC brand, they have quite the cult following here on the forum. Their wedges are popular among the group and their irons are great performers at an exceptional price point. 

Thank you to both MGS and Sub 70 golf for this opportunity for our members to thoroughly review these clubs. 

• Like 2

I'm a 5 handicap 

I live in Mobile, Alabama

I currently play Srixon Z585 irons 4-PW

160 yard carry with my 8 iron.

I have only heard of Sub 70 through this website. I do not know much about Sub 70 honestly. Reading the review has definitely peeked my interest. I am in the market for replacing most of the clubs in my bag so I'd love to give the sub 70 a try.

Roll Tide

I would love the opportunity to test the Sub70 brand.  I'm an advocate for direct to consumer brands.  The Sub70 story is intriguing.

1. Handicap and Location - I'm an 11.4 index playing out of Shale Creek in Medina Ohio
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance - My current set is Maltby DBM Forged.  Stock 8 iron distance is 154 yards
  3. What do you know about Sub70? - Just what I've heard from their site and around the golf podcast buzz.  Trying to offer DTC products with some level of customization and high level of quality at a better price than the big brands.  My DBM's are lovely and I built them myself going on five years.  I'm due for my next set and Sub70 is definitely a brand I will look into.

I live in Travelers Rest, SC.   My handicap is 5 from the “senior” tees.   (My index is 9.7).  I am 70+ and like getting to the par 5 in 2!

I hit my 8 iron 140 - 148 depending on the weather.   I have a high trajectory so I do not get much roll out.

I first hear about Sub 70 through MGS.   I have been looking to replace my 3 wood and Sub 70 got great reviews.   Like many I like to buy great clubs at great prices.  

Presently, I am playing with a previously demo Titleist C16 set.   

1. Mid-20’s handicap, located in Cincinnati, OH

2. Mizuno JPX 800 HD, 8-iron distance around 150 yards

3. I am not super familiar with the company, minus why I’ve read from others in this forum. I do know from perusing their website that they make absolutely stunningly beautiful products and would love to try them out!

Avid Golfer, Duke Fan, Always Looking for Insight

2 handicap, Farmington CT

Apex combo smoke 3-gw, 8 iron 150 yds

Dont know much about Sub70 just started following recently. Always played blades with thin top lines and little offset. Went to apex to gain distance but would consider another blade like head if the distance was there. 

1. I’m too new to really have a handicap. This is my first year getting into golf. Currently in Brookhaven MS 

2. I use an old set of ping eye 2 black dot that were gifted to me and I can knock my 8 about 145y on a good day. 

3. I don’t really know a thing. Just ran across y’all in my newsfeed and the clubs look fantastic. 

Hello,

Current handicap is 10, I am currently moving from Augusta to Monterey and am 2 days away.

Current irons are Adams CMB, 8i is 155 yards

From what I understand, Sub70 is a direct-to-consumer manufacturer that makes high-performing equipment. Took a look at the blades amd they are gorgeous in that black finish.

910 D3, M3 3w, PXG 0211 4"h", Adams CMB 5-G, Vokey 6 52/56, PXG Dagger

1. 7 handicap living in Virginia Beach, VA

2. Currently playing Apex cf16/apex pro combo -8 iron distance is 160

3. Other than a few posts on here and Instagram, not a lot. I also noticed that a few of their clubs made the Golf Digest Hotlist and I’ve heard about the great service but that’s about it.

Driver: 9.5 TM SIM w/ tensei orange X

Driving Iron: Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ recoil 110 f4

Hybrids: 2 & 3 Apex w/ Evenflow T1100 white X

Irons: 4-PW 2016 Apex CF16/pro combo AMT Stiff

Wedges: 50, 54, 58 Vokey SM7

Putter: Evnroll ER2 black

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

1) Chicago, IL handicap: 3

2) Taylormade P790 8 iron 165

3) I have toured their facility and met with Dan to hear about their process on making clubs and irons. I have a good idea of their iron lineup and appreciate their small business, customer first mentality! It makes you feel like they really want you to have a good experience and they back that with adjusting the clubs to your liking or get your money back, with the 60 days guarantee. I am also aware that they try to reach all skill levels with their iron lineup. 

Nick.

Edited by Novo_Golf

NN

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub70 699 Pro Irons
  • GolfSpy MPR locked this topic