TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub 70 699 Pro Irons

1. 5 handicap in Denver, CO 

2. Ping iBlades. Around 160 carry with my 8 iron

3. This is my first time hearing about them. Excited to learn more. They seem like a cool company with a good product

Driver = Cobra Fly-Z + 10 degree w/ Aldila RIP Phenom Shaft

3-Wood = Cobra Fly-Z + 14.5 degree

3-Iron = Ping iBlade w/ Ping Standard Graphite Shaft

4-PW = Ping iBlade w/ Project X Rifle Shafts

50 degree = Titleist SM5

54 degree = Titleist SM5

58 degree = Titleist SM5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Testers Announced! Reviewing the Sub 70 699 Pro irons will be: @Smellis745 @Tom the Golf Nut @GolfSpy MPR Reviews coming soon! _______________________________

Testers Announced! I'm thinking that Sub 70, as a company, is like America and Alexander Hamilton: young, scrappy, and hungry. And I'm also thinking that with a good iron in my hand,

Thanks everyone. I just did the happy dance around my office! ( At Work ). Ok i did get some strange looks......  I will put these to the test for sure!

Posted Images

On 7/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

Sub 70 irons are out of my league, but if you released Sub 80 irons I'd be onboard. Love the look of these irons, bet they are buttery smooth!

Handicap 6 Traverse City, MI

Maltby TE Forged 150 yard 8 iron

Actually I bought a custom 699 iron as a demo and loved it - was in the process of ordering an entire set when I was laid off permanently due to Covid 19.  Obviously new clubs were no longer in the picture.  The communication from Jason was excellent.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I’m a 12 in Chattanooga, TN

I’m currently gaming Ping s-55s and have been for 4. 8-iron is at 165

I don’t know much about the company besides it is DTC and the clubs look pretty pure  

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Handicap: 11

Current Irons: Callaway X-16s

8-iron distance: 150

What do you know about Sub70: I've heard little about them. Mostly that they are a direct to consumer brand that's providing quality gear at a lower price. 

1. 9 hdcp, Leesburg, FL 
  2. Srixon I-302, 145 yards
  3. I have not heard about this company. 
Edited by GolfDuck

Driver - 10* SMT Nemesis

# Metal - Orlimar 13* 

Hybrids - Wishon 

Irons - Srixon I-302s

Putter - Odyssey Two-Ball 

Balls - Snell MTB Black & MTB-X, Bridgestone BX 

1. Handicap and Location - 14, Austin TX
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance - Callaway Rogue X, 8i = 170 (via Arccos smart distance)
  3. What do you know about Sub70? - Very little, but have been on their site.  I have a golftec coach and will be looking for new irons at the end of my year tour with them. 

1. 10 Handicap in Los Angeles, CA

2. Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW. 8 iron distance 170 yd.

Callaway Apex Hybrid for 3 iron

PM Grind Wedges SW and LW, mack daddy gap wedge

Taylormade burner tp 3 wood 

bomb tech grenade 1 driver 9 degree customs matrix Ozick shaft.

3. Sub70 is a DTC that strives in achieving quality at an affordable price. The company is focused on placing their money where their mouth is with a money back guarantee. Their mission is all about putting the highest quality clubs in the hands of consumer with no frills, no paid player sponsorships, just results. I would be excited and honored to try and review a brand like this. I am all about trying the DTC brands, the bomb tech grenade is a solid club in my bag. I have been waiting for a DTC brand like sub70 that could craft irons like the 699 pro set and compare them to the likes of the Callaway Apex pro to compare feel.

Edited by Bvanwags

I am a former college baseball player and recent law school graduate. I live in Sacramento, CA and just started playing golf as my full-time hobby in January. I have played golf on and off my whole life, but only just started taking it more seriously (getting lessons, keeping track of my score, playing more regularly).

I would say current handicap is about a 12.  I usually shoot in the mid to high 80s.

I used to just borrow my dad’s clubs which were custom fit Mizuno T-Zoid irons, but he’s only 5’6” and I’m 6’0”, so I had to get my own clubs. I bought and currently use Titleist 762 DCI irons that I got from a Preowned shop for under $100. I carry my 8 iron between 130-140. 

I don’t know much about Sub70 except from what I read on their website before posting this which is that they want to give consumers top quality products without us paying for them to make numerous models and pay for advertising. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 9º (Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S)

3 Wood:callaway-small: Mavrik 15° (Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S)

Hybrid: :callaway-small:Mavrik Pro 3 Hybrid 20° (KBS Tour Prototype 80 S)

Irons 4-PW:titelist-small: T200 (True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT Black S300)

Wedges:mizuno-small: T20 50/7 Satin (bent to 48/5); T20 54/14 Blue Ion (True Temper Tour Issue S400) 

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 Eye2 60/8 (PING Z-Z-115 by Nippon)

Putter:odyssey-small: Toulon Design Stroke Lab Las Vegas with H7 neck

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

1) 8 handicap / Fair Haven, NJ

2) Mizuno JPX 900 Tours (and I love them) / 155 yards

3) I just know that they’re a DTC brand with lower prices due to that business model. I personally would never purchase a brand that felt “unproven” to me. Super interested in trying something new and comparing them to my standard, which are Mizunos.

1. Handicap +0.4, Lincoln, NE

2. Cleveland CG16 irons P-3i, 8-iron carry 150

3. Sub70 has had a ton of exposure recently. I see many interesting products including the 699 irons and woods. I've been looking for an opportunity to play a top-notch iron for a reasonable price. Sub70's gear looks amazing, but so far I haven't made a purchase. Could be an opportunity to gain one more brand-loyal customer!

Fairfield, CA

13 Handicap

I switch between TaylorMade P790's and P770's

I normally hit my 8 iron 150 yards

I have been following the Sub 70 irons since I saw them discussed here and on other sights. I like the look of the irons and that they are similar to the P790's that I play. I like company's marketing plan and that the cost of the irons are very competitive. Shows you don't have to spend $1300 for a good looking, high performance irons. I would love to test these out and to help validate the company's product and marketing strategy!

Louis J Fayant
San Francisco Bay Area
Handicap: 14

Driver:     TaylorMade M4 10.5, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Stiff
3 Wood:  TaylorMade M4 HL,  Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue
5Wood:   TaylorMade M4,  Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue
4 Hyrbid: TaylorMade M4,  Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue
5-AW:     TaylorMade P790, KBS C-taper Regular
SW, LW: Taylormade Tour Preferred EF
Putter:    Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance
Ball:       TaylorMade TP5x

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub70 699 Pro Irons