TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub 70 699 Pro Irons

Our Sponsors

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Testers Announced! Reviewing the Sub 70 699 Pro irons will be: @Smellis745 @Tom the Golf Nut @GolfSpy MPR Reviews coming soon! _______________________________

Testers Announced! I'm thinking that Sub 70, as a company, is like America and Alexander Hamilton: young, scrappy, and hungry. And I'm also thinking that with a good iron in my hand,

Thanks everyone. I just did the happy dance around my office! ( At Work ). Ok i did get some strange looks......  I will put these to the test for sure!

Posted Images

1. Handicap and Location - 11, Harpers Ferry, VW
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance - Custom fit Titleist AP2 / 165 yds
  3. What do you know about Sub70? - Absolutely nothing, but would love to learn more since I am in the market for new irons.

1. 5.7 hdcp

2. 8i - 156 yards Miura TB Zero

3. first time to hear about the brand. 

Edited by JC8
  1. 9, Jersey City, NJ
  2. Mizuno MP20 MCC; 150y
  3. They are one of the few direct to consumer brands that seem to have actually put out a quality iron. I didn't hear about them until right after I bought my current set but I was very tempted to order a sample to try them out.

9* F9 AD DI 6S / Hzrdus Smoke 6S (testing ongoing)

3W F9 Atmos Blue TS 7S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5,6 MCC, 7-PW MB) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4 DG300

Scotty Newport 3 

1. 5, Towson, MD
  2. JPX 900 Forged, 155
  3. Nothing other than what I just looked up on Social Media
Callaway XR16 10.0

Ping G 3 Wood

Ping G 4 Hybrid

Mizuno 850 JPX Forged 4-GW

Callaway MD3 56

Callaway PM 60

Ping Anser 2

Titleist ProV1

16 Fort Worth

p790 155

i don’t know anything about Sub70. I look forward to testing.

Current handicap: 2.3, located in Forest, VA

8 iron distance: 145. I use Cleveland CG7 Tour irons 

Knowledge or Sub70: limited, basically just mygolfspy and golfwrx articles 

Edited by WindConquerer

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location:  0.6, Scottsdale, AZ
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance:  155 yds, Titleist T-100
  3. What do you know about Sub70?: nothing
Edited by chossAZ
  1. 0.5 currently in Eugene, OR, but in non-pandemic years live in NYC
  2. PXG 0311T, 155/160 when feeling loose
  3. I have read the articles MGS posted about them, browsed through their website several times including their custom build options.

Would be great to give these a try

Barry Schwartz - Doylestown PA

10.3 index

currently playing TM 790 with Hogan wedges  8 iron 150

i haven’t heard much about this company besides what I saw on MGS report. 

Edited by barryschwartz56
Add 8 iron distance
On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

This opportunity is open to right-handed golfers residing in the United States. If interested, reply to this thread with the following information:

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

1. 16.2 Greenville, SC

2. Taylore Made M-6s.  145 - 150 yds

3. Nothing 

8 & Rhode Island

TaylorMade TP MC 2014 - 155 8 iron

Direct to consumer model - high quality irons - owned by DiamondTour/Hurricane Golf

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

On 7/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

1. 13 Handicap from Massachusetts
  2. MP18 MMC ,8i carry 152
  3. What do you know about Sub70? - I know very little. I am aware that they earn the best value in many MGS test as the DTC model gives them much less publicity. I would love to test and learn more about the brand.

On 7/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

1. I am a +1.2 handicap from Nashville TN

2. My Srixon 765 8 iron goes 182 yards.

3. I have only seen the wedges. They are gorgeous and feel great. If that is any indication as to the look and feel of these irons, I would love to get the opportunity to test them out.

36 minutes ago, MNUte said:
On 7/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

sub70.jpg

A product with solid value never goes out of style.

Couple that with exceptional customer service, and it's an attractive package for golfers who aren't necessarily looking to take out a second mortgage to purchase some golf equipment.

That's the basic premise of Jason Hiland's company, Sub 70, that leverages a factory-direct model to keep help keep costs low.

What about performance? Well, in 2019, the Sub 70 699 iron model finished sixth in the Players Distance category of Most Wanted testing. That might not sound like much until you consider it finished ahead of Callaway, PING and Titleist. That’s an accolade worthy of some refrigerator space.

For 2020, the 699 Pro iron features a thinner topline, less offset, and a black, Tour PVD finish.

1. Handicap and Location
  2. Current Irons and 8-iron distance
  3. What do you know about Sub70?

1. I'm a 22 handicap living in Salt Lake City, Utah. 

2. My current irons are the Cleveland CBX launchers and my 8 iron (which is very strong lofted to the point of being a 7 iron with identity issues) carries ~150 and runs out an extra 5 to 10 yards depending on slope, surface, and how vindictive it's feeling. 

3. Quite a bit. I have been keeping track of Sub 70 since it was founded. As a fan of Tour Edge and other 'uniqie' business strategies in golf, I loved the idea of Sub 70 offering custom irons at half the price. Similarly, I love their static fitting tool. Even if it misses the mark slightly with some, being able to know that more likely than not your irons need to be a degree flat or you need midsize grips goes a long way for confidence. 

It's been fun listening to interviews with the founder, product testers, and reviewers. And it's refreshing to hear the old Tour Edge pitch of "we'll keep costs down by not paying tour players" with the extra Sub 70 pitch of "unless there's a major game breaking change in the tech, we're not going to release something new just for the sake of releasing something new."

And it doesn't hurt that the clubs 

1. 4.0 handicap from Kansas City, MO

2. Mizuno MP-59's, 8 iron- 160ish yards

3. I heard of Sub 70 a few months ago.  I have looked into reviews since and have become interested in their business model and products.  I recently just purchased their Pro Fairway Wood.  Currently waiting for it to be delivered.

I am an 5.8 index and reside in Old Forge, PA. 

I currently play Mizuno MP18 MMC and hit my 8 iron 160. 

This would be the first I have heard of the company so I will be starting to follow on social media. 

1. 17.6 - Milwaukee, WI
  2. Callaway Steelhead XR - 160-165 yrd
  3. They are an awesome Chicago based company started by Jason Hillard.  I have been following them on social for a while, but never had the opportunity to try their clubs.  I would love to help this awesome brand grow. 
  • GolfSpy MPR changed the title to TESTERS ANNOUNCED! Sub70 699 Pro Irons
  • GolfSpy MPR locked this topic