Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

The Launch Monitor the average golfer needs

AppGator

I personally have no need for a personal launch monitor that doesn’t give me Club angles and spin characteristics.

I know how far I hit my shots (most of the time anyway), I don’t know what anybody needs to know ball speed unless they are going to try and catch it...lol

Give me face angle, shot shape and spin rates and I’m a happy camper

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Does the "average" golfer really NEED a launch monitor? Or just wants one?

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

I think golf could use a product that makes the practice more interactive and fun. I mean who wouldn't want to see a tracer of their range shots? But there is an opportunity for adding a training piece (maybe YouTube videos) that explains how decent angle helps you hold more greens or how an optimal peak height on a drive can lead to more distance (or how low to keep a tee shot in the wind).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

AppGator

Driver: Callaway FT-9 Aldila NV 65 (9 degrees, Stiff)

Woods: Titleist 910Fd Fairway (17.5 degrees, Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid Alta Shaft (22 degrees, Regular)

Irons: Ping I E1 Regular AWT 2.0 Black Dot, 5 Iron 38.00" 26 degrees, 6 Iron 37.50" 29 degrees, 7 Iron 37.00" 32 degrees, 8 Iron 36.50" 36 degrees, 9 Iron 36.00" 41 degrees, PW     35.50" 45 degrees

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degrees, F, Titleist Vokey SM7 54 degrees, S, Titleist Vokey SM7 58 degrees, D, Cleveland RTX 2.0 54.12 degrees, Cobra Tour Trusty 58.10 degrees

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Blade

Right-handed

Raleigh, NC

15 hcp

9 hours ago, MadMex said:

Need vs want...  that’s true of everything in life... need a 60 inch flat screen?  Need leather/heated seats in your car?  The list goes on. 

The reason I “want” a launch monitor is because I “want” to hit into a net in my backyard, but the impact into the net eight feet out doesn’t really tell me anything - so if I’m going to make sure I don’t ingrain some nasty habits I’m going to “need” a launch monitor...

😉

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

2 hours ago, AppGator said:

I think golf could use a product that makes the practice more interactive and fun. I mean who wouldn't want to see a tracer of their range shots? But there is an opportunity for adding a training piece (maybe YouTube videos) that explains how decent angle helps you hold more greens or how an optimal peak height on a drive can lead to more distance (or how low to keep a tee shot in the wind).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The average golfer doesn’t practice and they sure aren’t worried about any type of launch characteristics. The range I practice at is filled with average golfers. Many hit most of the bucket with their driver trying to hit it as far as they can. I’ve seen many have their hole bag with them and hit a few wedges the. Hit 90 balls almost one right after another with driver and leave. 

TXG, crossfields, Shiels to an extent and a few others talk about the launch characteristics and affects on ball flight, distance, etc, another channel talking about that is not doing anything new. The golfers who would be watching that video and would possible consider buying a launch monitor are on this forum and others as well as Facebook groups that are similar to forums. That’s the target audience and as you can see in this thread the number of those interested is going to be very small. 

edit: I’m as much into launch numbers and seeing them as most but once I have my setup unless im doing mgs testing it want to compare head vs head or shaft vs shaft I don’t care about launch numbers. I also prefer to determine my distance gaps they playing on the course with balls I use in conditions I play in rather than on the range where there’s no danger of penalty strokes. My ranhe time is to work on my swing and keep it intact.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I am one of your average hack golfers that would be interested in a $500 launch monitor.

The closest range to me is 20+ min, and charges $12 for a small bucket of balls. I have two kids that want to hit balls too, so I am $36 into a single range session. Their grass is horrible, and turf isn't realistic to our courses around here. I have a mid 20s handicap, and want to get better, so what are my options? 

I own multiple mats (tight fairway, first cut, and rough) thanks to a neighbor that works for Synlawn, and I own a net that's large enough to catch my worst shanks.

With a monitor that tells more than distance, I could determine my misses, etc. Until then, I am stuck assuming a flushed iron shot went straight, and all others were just "off"

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.