TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adjusting Toe Hang of a Putter

goaliewales14

Has anyone ever switched up their putter hosel?  I'm using the Ping Vault Oslo which has a double bend shaft making it a face balanced putter.  After looking at everything, my putting stroke actually has a slight arc.  I'm missing all my putts to the right since my stroke doesn't match my putter.  I'm looking at switching the double bend and adding a plumber's neck adapter to give it some toe hang.  Has anyone tried this?  There are multiple adapters out there, but I was curious if it was worth it and how much toe hang it added to your putter.  Also, does the length of the plumbers neck increase toe hang?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I don’t see where PING publishes toe hang, but their site shows “Stroke Type:  Slight Arc, Straight” for the Ping Vault Oslo. And the (double bend) shaft enters close to the heel (unless you have a different model than the one linked below), does it really hang like a face balanced putter when you balance it?

Nice putter BTW.

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/putters/ping-vault

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Has anyone ever switched up their putter hosel?  I'm using the Ping Vault Oslo which has a double bend shaft making it a face balanced putter.  After looking at everything, my putting stroke actually has a slight arc.  I'm missing all my putts to the right since my stroke doesn't match my putter.  I'm looking at switching the double bend and adding a plumber's neck adapter to give it some toe hang.  Has anyone tried this?  There are multiple adapters out there, but I was curious if it was worth it and how much toe hang it added to your putter.  Also, does the length of the plumbers neck increase toe hang?

There are some aftermarket adapters that will let you switch the hosel. Typically they require a 90* bore since you are just going to epoxy in the new hosel.

The best on requires a piece of a shaft that you can cut to desired length which gives you come control over the toe hang. The shorter the plumbers neck hosel the more to hang the putter will have.

I would do this in a minute if I could find a cost effective adapter; they are typically pretty expensive since they are milled.

You can do one of the hosel adapters from golfworks or similar company but I would personally get one of these; it is called a knuckle head adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plumbers-Neck-Putter-Conversion-RH-Adapter-Aluminum-3-Shaft-Hosel-Knuckle-Head-/152465152692

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

There are some aftermarket adapters that will let you switch the hosel. Typically they require a 90* bore since you are just going to epoxy in the new hosel.

The best on requires a piece of a shaft that you can cut to desired length which gives you come control over the toe hang. The shorter the plumbers neck hosel the more to hang the putter will have.

I would do this in a minute if I could find a cost effective adapter; they are typically pretty expensive since they are milled.

You can do one of the hosel adapters from golfworks or similar company but I would personally get one of these; it is called a knuckle head adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plumbers-Neck-Putter-Conversion-RH-Adapter-Aluminum-3-Shaft-Hosel-Knuckle-Head-/152465152692

Thank you!!!

Thank you!!!

No problem. People change out shafts and grips with little concern, this option isnsimilar; it is just a little epoxy and won’t be something you can’t undo. Will it help? I don’t know, but that is why you are doing the experiment.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I believe that if toe hang is really the issue, a putter with more toe hang (given all else is equal) will cause you to miss more to the right. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 hours ago, Middler said:

I don’t see where PING publishes toe hang, but their site shows “Stroke Type:  Slight Arc, Straight” for the Ping Vault Oslo. And the (double bend) shaft enters close to the heel (unless you have a different model than the one linked below), does it really hang like a face balanced putter when you balance it?

Nice putter BTW.

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/putters/ping-vault

Yeah it's 100% face balanced.  I love the putter cuz I actually have the stealth version of it and we had Ping custom paint it.  That's the reason I'd love to make it work.

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I’d pay for a putter fitting before butchering your putter. You could be aiming left, your swing path could be left, you could be closings the face too fast because of the grip you use. 

Missing to one side doesn’t automatically correlate to mismatched toe hang

I actually had one during the off season as part of a clinic, and they showed me I had a slight arc.  I did one of those, I'm not so sure type of things.  That's what lead me to start tracking stats on my misses.  I went through the aim check, I set up to my putter and had my wife move a ball to where I "thought I was aimed."  I was actually really good on that standpoint.  I was a touch left.  Then I recorded my stroke against my putting mat that has lines to check path.  I even got out paper and string to check the alignment line to make sure it was straight. 🤣  My wife thinks I've officially lost it by the way! 

I have been playing around with some of the putters they suggested during the fitting, Evnroll ER8, ER6 and even trying a few blades and all of those seem to be working so much better for me.

I believe that if toe hang is really the issue, a putter with more toe hang (given all else is equal) will cause you to miss more to the right. 

Not necessarily. Toe hang has started to become a meaningless thing with regards to putters. People react to putters differently. For me, Face balanced putters tend to go farther right than putters with more toe hang. Lots of factors in fitting a putter.

18 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Odyssey actually has something posted on their website in regards to toe hang. Hosel_Guide 

"For golfers who tend to miss putts to the right (toe hang helps close the face at impact if you have a tendency to leave it open)."

I've also been trying to watch a lot of TXG videos on it since I trust their knowledge of everything when it comes to fittings just to make sure it wasn't just an OEM claiming "10 extra yards."  I thought MGS did something similar in one of their putter Most Wanted's, but I haven't been able to find it.

Edited by goaliewales14

It is interesting how contradictory various sources are on this topic.

This article says: "Also, your typical miss patterns could indicate a mismatch between you and the toe hang in your putter. If you miss a lot of putts to the right (for a right-handed golfer), a putter with less toe hang might help you correct that. Obviously, the reverse of that might also help you if you miss to the left often."

http://www.golfwrx.com/518390/a-deep-dive-into-toe-hang-of-a-putter-and-why-it-matters/

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

27 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

It is interesting how contradictory various sources are on this topic.

This article says: "Also, your typical miss patterns could indicate a mismatch between you and the toe hang in your putter. If you miss a lot of putts to the right (for a right-handed golfer), a putter with less toe hang might help you correct that. Obviously, the reverse of that might also help you if you miss to the left often."

http://www.golfwrx.com/518390/a-deep-dive-into-toe-hang-of-a-putter-and-why-it-matters/

Golf is fun right?!  Sounds like it's down to go hit different putters and see what helps/hurts you

The general thought on toe hang is that the more toe hang the more the club will be open to the path during the stroke.

When looking at putters you also need to consider your stroke, offset, weight, CoG location, etc. the best way is to put the club in your hands and see how it performs(startline and distance control)

If you just look at toe hang consider this will two putters that are basically the same except for headweight perform the same? Think 45* of toe hang on both but one head weighs 335 grams and the other 375 grams.

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The general thought on toe hang is that the more toe hang the more the club will be open to the path during the stroke.

When looking at putters you also need to consider your stroke, offset, weight, CoG location, etc. the best way is to put the club in your hands and see how it performs(startline and distance control)

If you just look at toe hang consider this will two putters that are basically the same except for headweight perform the same? Think 45* of toe hang on both but one head weighs 335 grams and the other 375 grams.

And on top of those factors, for me, shape has some sort of mental impact on me. I have two face balanced putters, pretty close on headweight, same length, etc., but drastically different head shapes. One is a Squareback (wide blade) and one is the Evnroll ER10 mallet. Maybe its my ADHD, but I start to get distracted by the shape of the ER10 and all that is going on with the shape. And then that starts to impact my putting. With the Squareback, its much more simple looking and less distracting, and I also am more confident that it is lined up correctly.

Updated 07/15/2022

And on top of those factors, for me, shape has some sort of mental impact on me. I have two face balanced putters, pretty close on headweight, same length, etc., but drastically different head shapes. One is a Squareback (wide blade) and one is the Evnroll ER10 mallet. Maybe its my ADHD, but I start to get distracted by the shape of the ER10 and all that is going on with the shape. And then that starts to impact my putting. With the Squareback, its much more simple looking and less distracting, and I also am more confident that it is lined up correctly.

There are lots of factors just as you mentioned. You can add alignment aids, colors. Lots of things influence the stroke.
The big takeaway is that you can’t just say I need a putter that has X amount of toehang.

7 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Yeah it's 100% face balanced.  I love the putter cuz I actually have the stealth version of it and we had Ping custom paint it.  That's the reason I'd love to make it work.

I actually had one during the off season as part of a clinic, and they showed me I had a slight arc.  I did one of those, I'm not so sure type of things.  That's what lead me to start tracking stats on my misses.  I went through the aim check, I set up to my putter and had my wife move a ball to where I "thought I was aimed."  I was actually really good on that standpoint.  I was a touch left.  Then I recorded my stroke against my putting mat that has lines to check path.  I even got out paper and string to check the alignment line to make sure it was straight. 🤣  My wife thinks I've officially lost it by the way! 

I have been playing around with some of the putters they suggested during the fitting, Evnroll ER8, ER6 and even trying a few blades and all of those seem to be working so much better for me.

Have done just about everything shared in this thread and more (buying components a long time that had interchangeable hosels for example).

Several SAM putter fittings helped me/my instructor identify the rate of putter face closure and aoa I was producing at impact/ and the amount of loft I would have needed putt with based on my old putting stroke.

Since that time (few years ago) I have worked on mechanics and experienced drastic consistency improvements. Before SAM putter fittings I did practice / work hard but depending which type putter I had I was basically learning to time my putts with a bad putting motion/stroke  in order to get the ball close to hole. At that time I thought I was strong arc based on reading articles and listening to people offering me help.

With knowledge learned from putter fittings/instruction my work the last few years appears to have gotten me to slight arc stroke per new fittings/instructor observance both with mild toe hang putters and face balanced. Today I feel my putting is simplified as I have a motion/stroke I trust. Just wanted to share my experience.

I actually contacted Ping today just for fun and they said if I send them back the putter, they can convert it for $28 and then ship it back for another $15!  Guess who's getting their putter changed?!?!

12 hours ago, Dave_Burgess said:

I’ve been kicking around the idea of adding some lead to the toe of my face balanced tomcat c center shaft putter. Any thoughts to make it slightly toe heavy? 

I thought about trying that at first, but the one thing you have to remember is if you mess with the weight, you could mess with the distance control.  Being a center shafted putter, I'm guessing you'd have to add more weight to get your desired toe hang vs. what I would have had to do with mine.  If you had too much weight you could end up hammering all of your putts with the weight not matching your stroke anymore.  You'd probably need to look into getting a Super Stroke grip that you can add the weights too in the grip to counter balance the amount of lead tape.

Update: I added 2 grams to the toe of my tomcat c cadence tr center shaft putter and couldn’t have rolled the ball any better. Speed was spot on and the ball left the face without chatter (Bermuda greens here in Memphis) and rolled right on line. It might look like a Frankenstein putter but it works! 

“RTX-4” pin hunter (because I’m a lousy putter) 

You can bend the shaft to adjust toe hang. Simple 3/8 pipe bender. Flatten the lie by bending it near the putter head, then bend it just above that spot to return the shaft upright again and voila you’ve got toe hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

My putter just came back from Ping and it looks better than ever! First couple rolls make it seem like it was 100% the right call!!

20200728_134542.jpg.710cdaf3f46ae4efecda84b484a821d9.jpg

20200728_141457.jpg.73959ea84b130d8e0583d3aadf8794b0.jpg

20200728_141509.jpg.8b5419c5d65034a9b4d4ffd6c4cae9e8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I owned a small boutique putter company and fit numerous golfers from amateurs to a few pros.  

Toe hang is the most mis-understood spec in putters.

First off toe hang can help or hurt you, I think everyone understands that.

However, how it helps or how it hurts is different for every person.  If you are missing right more toe hang could hurt you or it could help you.

How to be a good putter.

1. Read the greens properly

2. Aim your putter properly

3. Return the club to your target line

4. Hit it the desired speed to take the break you see

----

See it's very simple.   The last three people I helped had the same issue.  The were missing too many putts left, their AIM was pretty good(used lasers and a mirror to determine) yet all three hit some good putts, but their putts were 50% left of center, 35% center and 15% right of center.  Each one of these folks responded to toe hang differently.  One guy went into a putter with almost 6 o'clock toe hang.  His shots went to 20% left of center, 70% center and 10% still right of center.  Another went into a putter with about a 4:30 toe hang and was similar.  The last we are still working on.  We are having trouble finding a putter he can align properly on short and long putts and make a good stroke with.  What he aligns well his stroke cannot return the face back properly often enough to suit me.

Everyone responds to putter shape and how the shaft is attached in a different way as far as aligning as well.  No it is not just about eye dominance, but that can definitely play a factor.  As I have gotten older I can no longer aim a putter with a plumber's neck hosel correctly anymore.  I have tried and tried as the old "anser" style is the most pleasing for me to look down on, but the first thing after learning to read greens properly is to aim your putter on that line.

===

Want to learn to read greens properly?  Grab a stimpmeter or a similar type of v groove device.  Find a putt, put a tee in the ground, vary the angle of the stimp to get the ball to finish 1' past the hole or however far past you think your proper speed should be.  Once you have that, find the start line at that angle to make the putt go into the center of the hole.   You can use that across a putting green to get better at reading putts with proper speed and re-training your brain.  Chances are you have learned how to read based on your improper stroke and have to retrain yourself for a putter you can aim correctly and return to position correctly more often than not.

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing