Playing a Yellow/Orange/Red/Green Ball

Our Sponsors

On 7/16/2020 at 7:38 AM, mikeanthony said:

For the traditionalist, does it grate at you to no end when you see a playing partner putting one in play? 

I began playing a Vice Pro+ Lime green about 18 months ago or so ... and have since transitioned to the Snell MTB Black optic yellows. Love ‘em.

I play white balls 99.9% of the time and I've never bought anything but white, but I have hit a few yellow balls that I've found but not for long. I don't pick up lost balls often, and never if it's anything other than a white Pro V1 or tour ball, maybe yellow if it's a pristine Pro V1 or tour ball. I don't care for other than white, and I can't hit a matte finish ball, they're hard to address/look at in bright sun to my eye. I found a matte finish orange ball once and used it for a couple holes before deliberately hitting it back into the rough for someone else to find.

That said, it does not "grate" me in the least what others choose to play - why would it? I play regularly with a few guys who like yellow, but I've played with others using orange, blue and pink too. The "soccer ball" style seems to be the second most popular after white where I play, quite a few people like them it seems. And that's fine too.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maxfli Tour in yellow for me. I prefer a colored ball and it helps me find it when I am way right....or left....

I found a ball that agrees with every aspect of my game. I love the feel off the driver, irons, and putter so without further dodo I present my favorite.

I may have to try the green. I found a Callaway Super Soft Green in the last round I played. I played it as my 2nd ball for the remainder of the round and honestly liked how easy it made the ball

Posted Images

23 hours ago, greggarner said:

My wife is *begging* me to get some of the new pastel balls. But she wants to decorate with them as they coordinate with her existing love affair with Lilly Pulitzer 🙄 if they weren't the Pro Softs, I might try em. But I'm pretty confident they'll be too soft for my taste.

I actually visited the Vice website for the first time in a while ... looks like the data numbers on their 2020 balls from 2019 are quite a bit better. May tempt me to give them a shot again. 

• Like 1

The 🙌🏼

A friend if mine gave me a box of the Vice Pro Softs in green and I definitely like how they look. Great color. 

I usually like to use a yellow ball. I need to get some TP5s in yellow when my current stock levels get a little lower. 

I did the MGS review on the Vice Pro Soft balls, in green actually, and they smoked the competition(Chrome Soft & ProV1) for distance and accuracy....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra King F8(10.5*) w/ Mitdubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 LW(58*) w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.
  • Like 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

4 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

I did the MGS review on the Vice Pro Soft balls, in green actually, and they smoked the competition(Chrome Soft & ProV1) for distance and accuracy....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra King F8(10.5*) w/ Mitdubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 LW(58*) w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Word! 👊🏼 That’s what I like to hear! 🙌🏼 

The 🙌🏼

Q-Star Tour yellow for me

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That’s pretty much the color I can see/follow the best.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I find myself only wanting to play with colored balls.

My favorits is the Volvik Vivd Orange. Just something about looking down on it, and you literally cant miss it. 

I also like the callaway superhot in red. 

I played Pro v1 usually before (in both white and yellow) , but the Volvik gets more distance. trade off is you lose a bit of putting, and short game feel. 

I bought a sleeve of the Titleist true feel the other day in red,  and they 'truly feel' like hitting a rock. did not like those at all. Pulled my white balls out, thats how bad they felt. 

• Like 1

I play color balls a lot. I prefer matte green OnCore Avant55. But I also play Srixon Soft Feel Tour Yellow and the Wilson Staff Duo Optix in red or green.

• Like 2

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
:tour-edge: HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

5 minutes ago, tehuti said:

I play color balls a lot. I prefer matte green OnCore Avant55. But I also play Srixon Soft Feel Tour Yellow and the Wilson Staff Duo Optix in red or green.

On a side note, the Wilson Staff DUO Professional is a really good ball at its price point. It’s a bit too soft for my liking, but highly recommend it as a tour caliber ball at a great price. 

• Like 1

The 🙌🏼

Great topic.  I've kind of gone full circle on this.  Used to play white back in the day when that was about all you could find. Then I found the NXT Tour S in Yellow.  That was my go to ball for years. I did buy some Orange Volvik Vivids along the way.  Now that the NXT Tour S isn't made, I've just been playing whatever.  Not long ago I bought some QStar Tours (white).  Still have a sleeve of those left. My wife bought me a box of Maxfli straightfli (white) and have 1/2 of those left.  Last week I bought Snell MTB-X (white). Can't wait to play them next. I hope I can find a goto ball to stick with (for consistency) soon.  Once I do, I may switch back to yellow.

Note, without a consistent ball, I play lots of what I find in the woods (don't ask why I'm in there).

• Like 2
On 7/17/2020 at 6:00 PM, Rickp said:

Not sure what it is with my eyes but I cannot follow the red or orange.

It’s not just your eyes— there’s a great comparison that one of the review sites did with 4-5 balls at different distances and they found that the red/orange are among the hardest to spot. Blue is near impossible to track for me when it goes up against the sky. 

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

We’re doing a bit of testing now on the fun/colored balls and the missus is a big fan of the Callaway Super Soft in pink— to the point that she swaps in a white proV1 any time she’s playing near water 😂. I have to admit, they’re pretty easy to spot in the thicker stuff unless there are leaves around— then it’s a nightmare. 

I’ve played the green version and red version of the Callaway as well and it took a minute to get used to. The matte finish threw me off at first but it was a pretty quick adjustment. The green pops a lot especially against thicker grass and was by far my favorite. The red simply doesn’t agree with my eyes and is not for me even though a friend of ours plays with them religiously. 

Surprisingly the colors hold up pretty well round after round and shine right back up after a quick toweling. Well...as much as a matte ball can shine. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

11 minutes ago, AcesAndHoles said:

It’s not just your eyes— there’s a great comparison that one of the review sites did with 4-5 balls at different distances and they found that the red/orange are among the hardest to spot. Blue is near impossible to track for me when it goes up against the sky. 

That’s interesting on the red/orange ball ... the blue ball, yes, it’s next to impossible to track. 

I know I read somewhere how different color rooms evoke different emotions for us ... and was drawing parallels to the color of golf balls. I can say that I do feel more focused when playing an optic yellow ball. 

• Like 1

The 🙌🏼

How many of you are putting one in play?  I am not.

Which color are you playing?   White

Which brand?  Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 model)

Are you consistent in using a colored ball?  see first question

Do you find yourself playing better?  a ball color should make no difference in how a person plays

For the traditionalist, does it grate at you to no end when you see a playing partner putting one in play?   It does not bother me in the slightest to see anyone play a colored ball.  If it works for them then more power to them.

• Like 1

Switched to yellow this year and really like it.  It is easier to see in the air and in the grass for me.  Currently I am playing the Z-star yellow and before that the Maxfli Tour matte green.   Didn't like how hard it was to keep the matte balls clean but would try to Maxfli Tour yellow in the future.  It seems like more of my golfing group are putting different colored balls in play.  A couple years ago everyone used white balls.  

• Like 2

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

On 7/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, Berg Ryman said:

I just want a major company to put our their top tier ball in Pink. I'll buy dozens

I'd love a pink Pro V1 or TP5 or Chrome Soft... 

• Like 3

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I've used Optic Yellow Pro V1x's since Titleist started offering them about a year and a half ago.  I see them in the bright Florida summer sunshine far better than white.   

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Guys in my group are always giving me yellow balls they find.  I play with Srixon Z Star in yellow or Pro V1x in yellow.  Interestingly, I found the original yellow Srixon Z Star to be the most easily seen ball in my experience, but subsequent generations have used a different shade of yellow that's not as easy for me to see.  This past Saturday I played with a guy using a green Srixon (soft feel?) that I could not see in the air at all.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood and 7/8 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW (Mizuno HMB's when I'm feeling sporty)

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

This has been one of the better color options for me.IMG_1283.JPG

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

I use vice pro plus lime or red and they are fantastic!!a great quality ball and you can see them fly the whole way, and no one tries to steel my ball!! Here's the red ones, I altruistic don't have pictures of the green. 20200619_134105.jpg.7181014ae1c8b908975b9caa5ab49ef9.jpg

• Like 2
I use vice pro plus lime or red and they are fantastic!!a great quality ball and you can see them fly the whole way, and no one tries to steel my ball!! Here's the red ones, I altruistic don't have pictures of the green. 20200619_134105.jpg.7181014ae1c8b908975b9caa5ab49ef9.jpg

I cannot see that color in the air on in the ground at distance. Wether it’s my eyesight or age but it’s impossible. SWMBO loves colors like that color

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead