tdc1

GPS: Watch vs. Small Handheld

Our Sponsors

I am thinking about getting a GPS watch or small handheld ($150±).  Anyone have experience with Shot Scope G3, Bushnell Phantom or Garmin S10/G10?  Thanks.

Driver:  Ping G410 Plus (10.5º; Stiff)

Fwy:  Ping G410 (3 and 5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Ping G410 (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.o Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

2 hours ago, tdc1 said:

I am thinking about getting a GPS watch or small handheld ($150±).  Anyone have experience with Shot Scope G3, Bushnell Phantom or Garmin S10/G10?  Thanks.

I have the predecessor to the phantom and think it is great.  Provides distances to front middle and back and give me some hazard distances.   Perfect for what I want and the strategy I follow for playing golf. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I use the phantom and love it. Easy to use.  I generally only need the front/center/back numbers. There are hazards and aim points listed but I generally don't use them. Love the magnetic bite to stick on the cart. I also use the "shot" feature which measures drives.  I charge it in between each rounds bc I only get about 30 holes on a charge. 

• Like 3

:ping-small:   :taylormade-small:   :srixon-small:   :cleveland-small:   :wilson_staff_small:   :OnCore:
'16 Taylormade M2 9.5*
Srixon F65 4W 17*
Ping G Crossover 18*
Ping G Crossover 24*
Taylormade RSI2 6-PW
Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
Cleveland Zipcore 56*
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Oncore Elixr

I'm using the Phantom and it's great for Front, middle and back.  I can get 2 full rounds out of one charge with some leftover.  I have the one with the magnet built into it so great to just stick on the golf cart.  

• Like 1

TM M4  or TS2

EPIC 15*

Titleist 816 H1 19 & 24*

Titleist T200 5-GW

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

Have you found it to be accurate?  10-20 yard difference between sprinkler heads/yardage bricks and a friend's Phantom.

Driver:  Ping G410 Plus (10.5º; Stiff)

Fwy:  Ping G410 (3 and 5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Ping G410 (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.o Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

I kind of took the unconventional approach and bought a Garmin Vivoactive 3. $130. Actually ended up being like $115 from Target with some discounts my wife had.

My pops has the S10. For golf, they seem to function nearly identically and connect with Garmingolf for round and performance stats. The Vivoactive however has color AND the golf function is just 1 of many different functions as it's a smartwatch for tracking activity as well. Ultimately you get 10X the watch for less $

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:adams-small:  Tight Lies2  3 wood (14*) / UST ProForce V2 Black (S)

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Lamkin Sink Fit 

On 8/2/2020 at 12:46 PM, tdc1 said:

Have you found it to be accurate?  10-20 yard difference between sprinkler heads/yardage bricks and a friend's Phantom.

I've checked mine vs laser and found it to be really close not perfect but a couple of yards off isn't going to matter to my game.  I've also noticed that Bushnell vs Garmin GPS don't always match on distances but only a few yards.  That I don't understand, same satellites....  

• Like 1

TM M4  or TS2

EPIC 15*

Titleist 816 H1 19 & 24*

Titleist T200 5-GW

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

I use the SS V3. Really simple, finds the satellites quickly. Shows all the yardages I need to know, without too much info. I still find sometimes I need a niche distance though. Perhaps I need to know where I want to layup, and how much of a shot would be left from that spot. I use "The Grint" golf app for those measurements.

• :tour-edge: EXS Driver
  • :cobra-small: King F8 3w
  • :titelist-small: 818 H1 Hybrid
  • :nike-small:VR-S Forged 5-PW
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 56*
  • :wilson_staff_small: Infinite Lake Shore

I use the mScorecard app on my phone, it is free. I use it mainly for scoring as it does stableford but there are several doglegs on the course that I need to use GPS as I do not have line of sight with the laser. I bought a Laser, cost me $110AUD - is just a copy of a Sureshot 3000 with pin lock. I prefer it as our course is not flat and there are a number of pins where you cannot see where they are on the green. Plus I use it quite a bit to find distances to a trap, water a tree etc and it is easy to use.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.