TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shot Scope V3 mini review

ShotScope V3 mini-review

Packaging is as expected for any consumer grade product - tidy, nice looking,  professional.

After charging the watch up, the setup process begins.  First thing is the app and watch are paired.  Between an iPhone 8 and the watch, it’s a simple & pain-free step that took 30 seconds.  Next the app/watch check to see if a firmware update is needed.  In my case it was.  It took 11 minutes for the firmware to update.

The app now wants to have you insert the tags and choose your brand and model.  For my bag of mixed brands, Callaway, Wilson, and Hogan - all clubs were found.  No issues.  Simple enough for most folks.

My putter is counter balanced and would not accept a tag. I can glue the tag on the putter or enter the number of putts manually.  I’m going the manual route for now.

One drawback, I carry a 4h and 5h.  Although both were found they appear in my inventory as their lofts, not as ‘4h’ or ‘5h’.  Not a huge deal but it would be nice to be able to edit the club and enter the name of my choice.

I’ve played one round so far but here’s what I’ve picked up on while playing:

• There is no indication that your clubs and the watch are actually synced up.  It wasn’t until the first green when I was prompted to enter the number of putts that I could assume the watch and clubs were communicating.
  • If you forget to enter the number of putts, two putts will be entered for you.  I had to correct a few holes in post-round edits.
  • It took a bit of poking around to figure out how to register a penalty shot. And why did that’s pond need to jump in front of my ball?  🙄

GPS accuracy appears to at least be in ballpark.  I had two other GPS units with me, a Garmin S10 and a Fitbit thing my buddy has.  Most of the time none of these three devices agreed on the yardage.  They were with a few yards of each other.  Which is best, most accurate?  No way for this guy to know.

Post round editing took a bit to figure out.  As you might guess the flag is never in the right place.  On a iPad, you have to tap the flag and then a long press until you see a target like symbol, then drag it to where it should be.  Same for shots and putts.  A little tedious but I cannot think of a better way off the top of my head.

You can add shots, delete shots once you figure out the right icon to select.  I suspect that it will be much faster in the future.

I also discovered that if you hit a shot and hit another (or hit it a very short distance) only one shot will be recorded.  I can see the good and bad in this.  It’s nice that I can drop another ball and hit again.  It’s not so good that I can cheat by hitting again and playing the second ball.

Cheaters gonna cheat no matter what.  Ah well. No harm, no foul.

After a single round the stats on each club are a bit wonky.  My 3wood has an average distance of 87 yards.  True!  I used it to punch out under some trees.  I hit the last tree which was indeed around 90 yards ahead of me 😜. Good excuse to play more so it can learn my real distances.

And of course the fit, did the watch bother my swing?  Is it bulky?  This was my main concern as I have really small wrists.  Yes, very small. My wife has a larger wrist diameter than I do.

That said, the watch fit my wrists just fine.  Doesn’t look overly large, nor does it feel like it’s getting in the way.  I never had a false button press.  Kudos to Shot Scope folks for shrinking the size.

After the single round I feel like I can say this is going to be a good thing for me.  It’s not intrusive, the editing should get faster/easier as I get used to the interface, and I’ll learn more about my game.  What can be better than that?

B3D78B27-6DB6-4BB8-AE35-FA7F5BBAD8F9.jpeg

Edited by toehold57
Typos

Nixe write-up.

Feel free to jump into the other V3 thread with 17 pages of discussion.

Just 2 tips: editing on a PC browser is much easier and faster than on a tablet or phone.

And use the positional function so your distances are not screwed up by punch-outs and such.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

9 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Nixe write-up.

Feel free to jump into the other V3 thread with 17 pages of discussion.

Just 2 tips: editing on a PC browser is much easier and faster than on a tablet or phone.

And use the positional function so your distances are not screwed up by punch-outs and such.

This was a little more lengthy than what we’ve been talking about in the other thread, I thought it might be better to separate it from there. We could always move it over.

People actually use PC’s these days?  Just kidding 😉. I suspect you are right but I spend all day pounding on a keyboard, I do all I can to avoid it otherwise.

Thanks for the tip on positional, I’ll have to check that out.