TESTERS WANTED! ×

Intermittent Fasting

TBT

Has anyone else tried IF? My wife has read several books on the subject and convinced me to go on this journey with her.

For those that don’t know, IF or Intermittent Fasting is a lifestyle change meant to help lose weight, tone your body and improve some health conditions.

You pick an eating “window” and outside of that window you “clean fast” which means nothing but unflavored water, black coffee or unsweetened tea.

There are many types of IF some where you only eat on alternate days, some where you restrict eating to 1 meal a day and some where you have a “window” where you eat what you want during that time frame (within reason)

We started with what’s known as an 18/6 plan. You can eat for 6 hours a day followed by 18 hours of “clean fasting”. So in our case we open our “eating window “ at noon each day and close it at 6pm.

It’s tough the first few days but then your body gets used to it.

We just completed our first 28 days on this plan and I lost 10.4 pounds and several inches.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Is there a set amount of calories you are allowed in your "window"?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Intermittent fasting is a good tool for weight control. In my reading and listening to various experts who have their doctorates in nutrition and training the results for fat loss aren’t better or worse than other types of eating lifestyles.

What I have found is when in a caloric deficit phase especially as the calories drop this makes it easier to not feel as hungry and get cravings during the day. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, ole gray said:

Caloric intake is dependent on many factors and is individual dependent. It depends on what your goal is, but there is no limit or max per SS just whatever your caloric needs are.It’s easier for those who are eating to maintain weight or losing weight than those trying to bulk. One can over eat in the eating window just as easily as one can over eat without it.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Not really, they say to eat what you want, just not over eat. The books talk a lot about eating until you “sigh” and then stop...they say the “sigh” is an indication that you are full but we tend to keep eating because it tastes good and end up with that “bloated” feeling.

The first few days I tended to eat a lot when the window first opened and then I wasn’t hungry towards the end of the window but would be starving later.

I had to learn to have a small meal for lunch, then a small snack and a small dinner. Like any other diet plan it takes time to get used to it.

FWIW I started Keto probably 5 years ago. I didn't mess with macros etc. I also don't have high cholesterol or blood pressure. I simply did my best to eliminate carbs.

The thing is - there is a carb free (or almost carb free) solution for pretty much everything now. There are multiple sweeteners to replace sugar, even in baking / cooking for example.

I dropped 50lbs in about 4 months. I was injured at the time - so no working out - just Keto.  I'm still with it (I do eat carbs now and again but not that often) what I noticed was with Keto my energy level went WAY up. I was sleeping less than before Keto and wasn't getting tired in the late afternoon like I was before.

The thing about Keto? It naturally killed my appetite at times. I would do intermittent fasting without realizing I was doing it. I just wasn't hungry - so I wouldn't eat.  I also took to heart the advice I heard from a doctor once - whenever I THOUGHT I was hungry, drink a bottle of water, and if I was still hungry - eat - if not, I wouldn't. Apparently the hunger / thirst mechanism / trigger in the brain are very similar.

I've had MULTIPLE co workers and friends go Keto over the past few years. The ONLY complaint was some saying they got the Keto "flu". Which every time turned out to be that person not getting enough hyrdration / electrolytes. It happened to me too - I simply would add a bit of normal table salt to a bottle of water (normally I use those sugar free flavored "drop ins" in a bottle of water).

Every one of them told me about how after the first week or so on Keto - their appetite would just plummet.

Driver: :callaway-small: XR Speed 9º Project X HZRDUS T800 Stiff

3W : :ping-small: G 14.5º - Tour 80 stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G25 20º - TFC-189H stiff

Irons: :ping-small: 4-UW G30 Green Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: LW G30 Black Dot

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossie II

What does your doctor say about it?  I would never do anything like this without seeking my doctor's advice first. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

16 minutes ago, revkev said:

What does your doctor say about it?  I would never do anything like this without seeking my doctor's advice first. 

It’s not really something that is negative to ones health and there are studies out there showing benefits to using IF including better focus and mental acuity during the fasting period.

theres different types of IF. The 18/6 window mention, 20/4 window and a complete fast for 1 day a week. 

It’s really no different than eating 3 meals in a full day or 3 in a short window. There’s also some studies that show 2 meals a day is beneficial for many

Dr Jim Stoppani uses it as his lifestyle and has been doing it for years. He’s also pretty well built physically 

I'm doing IF without the keto part. I just love carbs, but trying to cut back on it.

I do the 16/8 window, skip breakfast and only eat lunch and dinner.

Skipping breakfast was hard at the beginning, cause I just love eggs, ham, toast, bacon... now I'm used to it and keep my stomach full of water until lunch.

Lost about 10lbs so far.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If I want to drop a few I’ll do IF on the 16/8 plan. I change nothing else in regards to my diet, just my eating window. What I see is weight loss and more energy especially during the day right after lunch. Takes me about two days to adjust and I highly recommend it not just for weight loss but for mental sharpness, at least for me anyway. I think it’s based on cavemen that hunted all day, had to stay alert, then ate their kill once a day.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I do 2400 calories with a 16-18 hour fast

Sent from my LG-H931 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

When I was younger, I would be late for school or had something going and I would just skip breakfast. That sort of just continued without any intention and maybe a year ago I started learning a little bit about IF and had the thought that i would skip lunch at work every now and then and see how it went. The most convincing argument for me was the fact that with a diet you have rules you have to follow and things you need to track, but with IF you really only have to say "No" to yourself. It was also a spiritual exercise for me also as I learned that i did not have to give into every little thing my body was telling me and as a Catholic, fasting is not uncommon and everything just fit together nicely for me to continue.

Well as time went on, my Wife started noticing me thinning out and it was nice to hear but i never really thought anything of it, never really kept track though i think the last i remember i was down maybe 10lbs or so. Now that i am working from home due to the virus, the Wife is a really good cook and while it has become easy to tell my body "no"... sometimes saying that to the Wife is a different story haha

Edited by MyWifesSwingCoach
commas

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

On 7/17/2020 at 2:30 PM, Kanoito said:

I'm doing IF without the keto part. I just love carbs, but trying to cut back on it.

I do the 16/8 window, skip breakfast and only eat lunch and dinner.

Skipping breakfast was hard at the beginning, cause I just love eggs, ham, toast, bacon... now I'm used to it and keep my stomach full of water until lunch.

Lost about 10lbs so far.

I'm picking it back up and I'll be doing 18/6 again. I also have a hard time with missing breakfast at the beginning then I realize without breakfast I eat less during the day. I'm planning on cutting carbs back also.

I’m now down 15 pounds and I’ve lost several inches all over....I can tell that my shirts fit different. So far I really like this lifestyle.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Sohan said:

I don't think It's realistic to do this for long term.

It’s absolutely long term sustainable to do intermittent fasting. There’s lots of people that do as a lifestyle. Dr Jim Stoppani is one of them and along with lifting weights is in great shape. One of my coworkers also does this and he is a fan of the mental focus he has in the morning. He doesn’t do it strictly for fat loss but like Dr Stoppani it’s his chosen lifestyle 

It’s not a magic pill for losing weight compared to other ways of just reducing caloric intake but it’s a tool that can be used to help get into a deficit especially when calories get low and it’s easier to eat the low amount of calories in a shorter eating window instead of spreading them out over 3-6 meals.

But just because there’s a shorter eating window one can still over eat which. So again it’s not a magic pill but rather one of many tools that can be used to accomplish one’s weight goal.