Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How to establish a handicap?!?

So I’m considering entering some amateur tournaments in the future and it seems I may need a Handicap. How do I establish a acceptable handicap? I’m a Pro Member on Grint and I have a World Handicap Number just not sure what the difference between it and a USGA GHIN is. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I believe you can use WHS if the tournament allows it. I joined an e-club for $40/year and submit my scores using the ghin app. Also some semi private courses around me offer clubs you can join, those could be options for you as well!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I believe you can use WHS if the tournament allows it. I joined an e-club for $40/year and submit my scores using the ghin app. Also some semi private courses around me offer clubs you can join, those could be options for you as well!

Right on I guess I’ll have to check that out. If you don’t mind me asking what e-club is it that you joined is it National?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

2 hours ago, TxTwinDad+2 said:

Right on I guess I’ll have to check that out. If you don’t mind me asking what e-club is it that you joined is it National?

It's called the Hawaii state golf association e-club, run by the HSGA so no, not national. I guess?

3 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

Hello fellow HSGA eclub member. 

Howzzzzzzit 🤙🏼

On 7/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, TxTwinDad+2 said:

So I’m considering entering some amateur tournaments in the future and it seems I may need a Handicap. How do I establish a acceptable handicap? I’m a Pro Member on Grint and I have a World Handicap Number just not sure what the difference between it and a USGA GHIN is. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Just a word about terminology here.  The USGA is now using the rules of the World Handicap System.  What most competitions will require is an official Handicap Index.  You can get a Handicap Index from a number of different sources.  The USGA authorizes a number of State and Regional Golf Associations.  Those Associations will license a number of "brick and mortar" golf clubs, which can be public or private, so one source for establishing a Handicap Index is by joining one of those "clubs" at your local course.  These local Associations may also offer internet-based e-clubs that you can join directly, without being affiliated with a physical facility.  There are internet-based services like the Grint, which I believe will slot you into one of their local e-clubs, and provide an official Handicap Index.  Every one of these uses the rules of the World Handicap System.

GHIN is a computational service operated by the USGA, and is offered to the Authorized Associations for use by their members.  Its the most common computational service, but individual associations are not required to use GHIN.  The last I checked, Maryland used a different calculation service, so Maryland players don't have a GHIN number.  They DO have an official Handicap Index.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just a word about terminology here.  The USGA is now using the rules of the World Handicap System.  What most competitions will require is an official Handicap Index.  You can get a Handicap Index from a number of different sources.  The USGA authorizes a number of State and Regional Golf Associations.  Those Associations will license a number of "brick and mortar" golf clubs, which can be public or private, so one source for establishing a Handicap Index is by joining one of those "clubs" at your local course.  These local Associations may also offer internet-based e-clubs that you can join directly, without being affiliated with a physical facility.  There are internet-based services like the Grint, which I believe will slot you into one of their local e-clubs, and provide an official Handicap Index.  Every one of these uses the rules of the World Handicap System.
GHIN is a computational service operated by the USGA, and is offered to the Authorized Associations for use by their members.  Its the most common computational service, but individual associations are not required to use GHIN.  The last I checked, Maryland used a different calculation service, so Maryland players don't have a GHIN number.  They DO have an official Handicap Index.

Thank you very much for this reply it seems to have answered my questions. I believe I’ll be ok going forward using the Grint Handicap.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, EasyMoney201 said:

I am also a Grint Pro user, and love it by the way. I just played in my brother in law's member guest and they accepted my handicap since it was part of the World Handicap System. For what it's worth!

Ok this is very helpful pretty much what I was thinking just wanted to confirm. Thanks 

If your intention is to play in state sanctioned tournaments (both state championships or just "competitive/fun" tournaments), most of the time you have to be a member of your states golf association anyways, and the fee includes a  official USGA handicap.  Something to keep in mind next time your Grint Pro comes up for renewal.  Most states charge $30-40 to join the "eClub" or you can also join through your local course (publics typically just don't advertise handicap/state golf association memberships).

Edited by bacchus

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

17 minutes ago, bacchus said:

If your intention is to play in state sanctioned tournaments (both state championships or just "competitive/fun" tournaments), most of the time you have to be a member of your states golf association anyways, and the fee includes a  official USGA handicap.  Something to keep in mind next time your Grint Pro comes up for renewal.  Most states charge $30-40 to join the "eClub" or you can also join through your local course (publics typically just don't advertise handicap/state golf association memberships).

I can't find a reference right now, but I believe I've heard this is the case for Florida State Golf Association events.  For someone wanting to join the FSGA and maintain a handicap through a local course, there is a list of affiliated clubs on the FSGA website here:

https://www.fsga.org/Club/Search/

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia