TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for a new putter

skihippy

To all spyers out there. I have what could be described as a stupid question. I want a new putter and I was looking at getting a Scotty California Coronado. So here is the question:

I have a cleveland Brz 2, I want to get a Scotty cali coronado, Is scotty really that much better?

Thanks in advance, any input would be helpful...

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

• SPY VIP

Go through a putter fitting if possible. Get some fitting data to back up the purchase.

If that is not possible, demo the putter a bunch.

Know too that the finish will wear on the Coronado.

Plus there will be new Camerons released this Fall. That could mean price drop on the California models and new sexy putters to choose from.

Camerons are $$$ so you want to be sure.

This comes from someone with a great deal of putter remorse and money spent chasing the "one".

Another option to look into if you like the Coronado is the Byron Morgan Bombora. Lots of customization can be done to truly make it fit your stroke.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I will have the review posted in the next few days with a full explanation, but I want to echo Dave's comment: get fit if possible. If possible, get on a SAM Puttlab (or the equivalent) and see what the results are - you may be very surprised.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

1. Get Fit.

2. The Cleveland Brz, Classic, Black, etc are as good of a milled putter as the Scotty, or any other milled putter out there.

3. The name on the putter won't make you a better putter of the golf ball.

4. Scotty's are nice, but there are others out there just as nice that do the same thing, get the ball in the hole.

Getting fit is the only answer, and if possible find a SAM Lab. A good alternative, if you have an iPhone4 is to download the iPing app (Free) and buy a cradle for it. It'll help you select a putter as well, though not as accurately as a SAM lab fitting will. Finding a reputable fitter in your area and having him fit you in person would be the best alternative, IMO, and the way to find the putter that truly works for you. Remember, it's a game of getting the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible, regardless of the name on the clubs. Like I said, not knocking Scotties at all. I have a few, used to collect them, and have owned over 100 of them. That said, I have a putter I paid far less for that I put significantly better with, and that's a SeeMore FGP (the original, in brass). I like my favorite putter so much, I bought 2 identical ones, just like it, and I've added weight to my gamer and another to get it exactly how I like it, weight wise. Now I have 3 different weights for different speed greens.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Austad's still has some of the SlotLine SSI putters for next to nothing.

I got a mid mallet last year weighing in at 60 grms. It's clean, has great feel and the aluminum insert works the ball.

These started at $170, but now you can get them from Austad's for $59.99 or less.

Here's the link......Austad's

For those who do not remeber, SlotLine was a premier pputter in the 70's & 80's with their High MOI putters.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks for the info guys, my biggest problem is I live in WV and I have searched and searched for places to get fit. The closest SAM lab is 5 hours away. Also I believe I am kidding myself with the scotty because I have and arched putting stoke and if I am reading correctly the reason that Scotty's have the two weights is for a straight back straight forward stroke. But I am not sure if I am correct about that either.

Thanks spyer's

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys, my biggest problem is I live in WV and I have searched and searched for places to get fit. The closest SAM lab is 5 hours away. Also I believe I am kidding myself with the scotty because I have and arched putting stoke and if I am reading correctly the reason that Scotty's have the two weights is for a straight back straight forward stroke. But I am not sure if I am correct about that either.

Thanks spyer's

Well...for what it's worth...I have a California Del Mar with two swingweights and I have an open-closed face swing. I love my putter (for $300 I had better) but there are lots of good putters out there. ALways remember: A good putter could putt with a stick.

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

Scotties aren't designed around a method stroke. The putter type is more around face balanced or varying degrees of toe hang. Face balanced generally work better with an SBST stroke when coupled with moving the shaft more toward the center of the club. Toe hang, heel shafted putters generally work better with your stroke type, a gated stroke.

I wished LaMont would get on here and chime in, or Choeppner or Gene Nead, or some of the putter guys that are members. They're far more experienced with helping people find a putter type and could get you into something that'd be appropriate for you.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Find the toe hang that works for your stroke's path and rotational amount. Rather than changing your swing, change your toe hang.

Donald's weights have more to do with swing weight rather than toe hang. It's a cheaper way for Titleist to make a custom putter. Rather than 1 piece milled that is ground to spec weight he can replace the weights for a different swing weight Thereby he only needs to make one version of the head and K-tech has less finishing to do. Manufacturing is cheaper that way.

I spy with my little eye something...

SkiHippy,

I went back and read your original post a few times and I think that the main idea that you had started on got a little stretched, as the thread wore on.

You have one of the best values in golf, in your Cleveland Brz putter. The milling is solid, it is a very solid putter at its price point and the thought to change to a Scotty Cameron putter, IMHO, would not be a huge benefit, quality-wise. Scotty's putters are very good quality, please don't misunderstand, but, the difference in cost is NOT equal to the difference that it will make in your game, or a significant jump in quality.

As for style of putter, I don't see anywhere that you are struggling with the Cleveland mallet. The advice to track down a SAMM putt lab is solid, but there are much less expensive alternatives. Contact my partner in Sunset Beach Custom Putters and he might be able to give you a solid system that will allow you to do a few simple tests and give you a very good idea of the putter that will work best for you. You can reach him thru the site at www.ssbeachgolf.com. Note, this is NOT a sales pitch, but a route to contact Chris Jordan and allow him to share what he has learned as we have worked with a good number of golfers in the past few years.

The two putters that you mention are noticeably different in their balance, but I can't say which would fit your stroke better. I am the blue collar end of SSB. For me, the work comes when the putter has already been designed or the concept worked thru, at least to a point where I can work my magic, ;) .

Long story short? If you REALLY want a Cameron, there is no need to wonder. It is a nice putter that has a certain, although misleading, air of status with it. But, in today's incredible putter market, there are several companies that will work to build you a putter of at least equal quality, with far more personal attention to your stroke, likes and dislikes and personal preferences. The internet has made this possible and with a little research, you'll find just what you have been searching for. In the meantime, rest assured that you have a great putter in your bag and when you change, it will be due to desire for something "Different", not necessarily something "Better".

I hope this does more to comfort you than to confuse you, :D .

LaMont in AZ

Archived