Our Sponsors

Normal practice for hybrid shafts - not a problem for most shaft OEMs.

Iron shafts may be a bit different though - if it is tipped trimmed to flex to be used for a specific iron# then it would most certainly be a no.

In summary - hybrid yes - iron(s) no- (depending on circumstances)

Normal practice for hybrid shafts - not a problem for most shaft OEMs.
Iron shafts may be a bit different though - if it is tipped trimmed to flex to be used for a specific iron# then it would most certainly be a no.
In summary - hybrid yes - iron(s) no- (depending on circumstances)

What do you mean if it is tipped trimmed? I have been emailing fujikura about one of their shafts that is .370 parallel tip. They said you can definitely sand down to .355; it is only 15/1000. The shaft is both butt and tip trimmed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

50 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What do you mean if it is tipped trimmed? I have been emailing fujikura about one of their shafts that is .370 parallel tip. They said you can definitely sand down to .355; it is only 15/1000. The shaft is both butt and tip trimmed.

Like I said - it depends on the circumstances. Some shafts have enough parallel tip section to trim to whatever flex you like, but may not possess enough wall thickness to allow them to be shaved down to taper. It's not a huge size as you have mentioned, but it's enough to cause failure at the stress point where the shaft meets the hosel.

Specific hybrid shafts are usually good to go as they have reinforced tip sections and they are not likely to be trimmed to the same extent of an iron shaft - they tend to be called hybrid shafts for a reason -they're meant to be used in hybrids. Parallel iron shfts are meant to be used in parallel bore iron heads....

If you are using parallel shafts to fit taper hosels in irons - then you've got the wrong shaft. Use a taper shaft shaft for the correct insertion. 

• Like 1
Parallel iron shfts are meant to be used in parallel bore iron heads....

If you are using parallel shafts to fit taper hosels in irons - then you've got the wrong shaft. Use a taper shaft shaft for the correct insertion. 

if the manufacturer only makes .370 parallel; you opinion is that they shouldn’t be sanded down and used in .355 taper?

I have also read that .355

Taper iron started as .370

Parallel and we tip trimmed and taper by the manufacturer.

As you said, will vary based on manufacturer so should we believe a manufacturer when they say it is acceptable?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, Arlarson said:

Anyone have any experience putting a .370 graphite iron shaft in a .355 hosel? Thinking I can just carefully sand it down. Thoughts?

Yes, it can be done.  As it has been said, it depends on the shaft.  Wall thicknesses can vary.

I have done it using a UST Mamiya ProForce rv2 95 in a MacGregor VIP 1025M head, because I had a shaft lying around.  I was tinkering.  One or two shafts is not too bad if you have the time, but I wouldn't want to do a full set.  I had no problems, but my swing speed is not very high.

My question is why would you spend the time and effort doing it when there are lots of good choices for .355 shafts in various price ranges?  If you already have shafts pulled from other clubs, I would sell them on eBay and buy .355 shafts.  

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for all the input. I am actually doing it for my brother who doesn't swing very fast and doesn't want to spend a bunch of money. I have an old set of Prostaff irons that I am pulling the shafts out of for it.

Sent from my LGUS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Not to beat a dead horse but wack wack wack..

First - if at all possible shaft tip to match hosel diameter.

second - yes it can be done "carefully" what is mentioned above is the shafts the are typically made in specific lengths and are .370 will have a bit more meat on the end and can be sanded.

others with longer .370 tip sections can thin out as tipped up the shaft. How much? Each maker varies. Keeping in mind the first 3/8" to 1/2" is wear most of the sanding will occur to make it fit.

When doing this and using graphite please consider if your brother chops wood or can get through the ball. If he take a divot te size of Rhode Island you will back to the bench reworking clubs.

• Like 1

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg ACCRA tour Z GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - 33" 3 deg loft 70 lie, lrg slight line slightly toe hang

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 7/20/2020 at 12:28 AM, Arlarson said:

Anyone have any experience putting a .370 graphite iron shaft in a .355 hosel? Thinking I can just carefully sand it down. Thoughts?

Sent from my LGUS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had it done a good while back........put a Project X 5.0 driver shaft into a Powerbilt AirForceOne WMD driver head.  We carefully drilled out more of the driver head then glued to larger shaft into place.  I never had any issues with it, but rest assured, I was not swinging for the fences either.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

2 hours ago, McGolf said:

Not to beat a dead horse but wack wack wack..

First - if at all possible shaft tip to match hosel diameter.

second - yes it can be done "carefully" what is mentioned above is the shafts the are typically made in specific lengths and are .370 will have a bit more meat on the end and can be sanded.

others with longer .370 tip sections can thin out as tipped up the shaft. How much? Each maker varies. Keeping in mind the first 3/8" to 1/2" is wear most of the sanding will occur to make it fit.

When doing this and using graphite please consider if your brother chops wood or can get through the ball. If he take a divot te size of Rhode Island you will back to the bench reworking clubs.

Don't have an on-topic comment, but I laughed at divot the size of Rhode Island. That's me on a bad day.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)