TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf WOD Fitness Program App Unofficial Review

dlow206

Golf WOD Fitness Program App Review

Now that we have seen the distance impact of the Bryson bulk, golf workout programs are the new hot thing in the golf world. However, even before the Bryson bulk phenomenon hit, I had been doing various golf workout programs since around October 2019. About 4 months ago, i found out about Golf WOD from @Zen Snake on a thread on MGS. Since then, I have been doing various Golf WOD programs. Originally, the format was structured in multiple e-books that you purchase, for example: 6 week beginner program, 12 week power program, etc. The workouts follow a crossfit-like structure for those of you who are familiar with crossfit.

Within the last month, Michael Dennington from founder of Golf WOD, introduced a new program via mobile app. Each day, a new set of workouts is posted by Michael. There are currently three workout options per day, "Athlete", "Lifestyle", and "Hybrid". Athlete and Lifestyle are both golf-centric crossfit-style workouts, whereas Hybrid is crossfit-style but more what I would call bodybuilding focused. 

The price for the app is either $19.99 per month, or $99 for a one year subscription. I have been doing the lifestyle option workouts and although this is the "easiest" level, the workouts are hard as hell. The workouts are very well rounded and include strength exercises, exercises focused on explosion and rotation, conditioning, and mobility. Think deadlifts, squats, power cleans, med ball throws and slams, ab/core work, runs/jump rope/bike, etc.

In addition to the workouts being presented daily via the app, there is also a movement library that shows videos on how to perform each exercise. There is also the ability to ask questions, which Michael responds to, and also the ability to interact with other subscribers. I asked Michael a question about what four mobility exercises would be best to perform on a daily basis with limited time available and Michael actually responded with a video the next day with exercises to answer my question. Lastly, there is ability to pay an additional fee and receive swing coaching from Michael. He is a PGA professional golf instructor.

Overall, the Golf WOD app is my favorite golf-centric workout program (I have tried a number of them). Here is my overall summary:

Pros:

• The workouts are challenging. I found some other golf workout programs to be too easy, the Golf WOD programs are never easy, always pushing me to the next level
  • Multiple levels of difficulty. You can choose "Athlete", "Lifestyle", or "Hybrid" based on your preference
  • Video library of exercises. There are always exercises that I am not sure how to do so I can always check out the videos in the library on the app
  • Michael and the community are awesome. He always responds to comments/questions everyday on the app. Hoping this continues as the size of the community grows

Cons:

• In my opinion, you need to have some equipment (or access to equipment) to get the most of out of the program. I would say you need dumbbells, a kettlebell, and a medicine ball at a minimum. Strongly suggested would be to have a barbell for deadlifts and other strength exercises, and then some sort of cardio equipment (i mostly use a jump rope, i hate running)
  • If you aren't presently in good shape, it will take some time to ramp up, these workouts are hard
  • I am worried that the price will eventually go up, because most other programs out there are more expensive

TLDR review: best value and best golf workout program out there in my opinion

IMG_7096.PNG.f467cb7a57b926f0f34c58498f8f08e8.PNG

IMG_7097.PNG.1d4a884b140389373cbf80835f7e1558.PNG

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Just waiting for the Android app to hit.

Sent from my LG-H931 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

13 minutes ago, Zen Snake said:

Just waiting for the Android app to hit.

Sent from my LG-H931 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Will be great to have some MGS folks on the App

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

One thing I didn't mention above is that Michael is continuing to add to and evolve that app, so the app will continue to have additional content over time. 

Updated 07/15/2022

@Zen Snake - saw that Android app is available now. you joining now?

Updated 07/15/2022

• 2 weeks later...

My olympic barbell and bumper plates are coming soon. They were hard to come by due to Covid, all fitness equipment is essentially sold out.

I think I will make some major gains and major progress in strength with having the barbell and plates. Was previously only using about 100 pounds for deadlifts due to weights available at my house.

Updated 07/15/2022

On 7/20/2020 at 10:08 AM, dlow206 said:

Golf WOD Fitness Program App Review

Now that we have seen the distance impact of the Bryson bulk, golf workout programs are the new hot thing in the golf world. However, even before the Bryson bulk phenomenon hit, I had been doing various golf workout programs since around October 2019. About 4 months ago, i found out about Golf WOD from @Zen Snake on a thread on MGS. Since then, I have been doing various Golf WOD programs. Originally, the format was structured in multiple e-books that you purchase, for example: 6 week beginner program, 12 week power program, etc. The workouts follow a crossfit-like structure for those of you who are familiar with crossfit.

Within the last month, Michael Dennington from founder of Golf WOD, introduced a new program via mobile app. Each day, a new set of workouts is posted by Michael. There are currently three workout options per day, "Athlete", "Lifestyle", and "Hybrid". Athlete and Lifestyle are both golf-centric crossfit-style workouts, whereas Hybrid is crossfit-style but more what I would call bodybuilding focused. 

The price for the app is either $19.99 per month, or $99 for a one year subscription. I have been doing the lifestyle option workouts and although this is the "easiest" level, the workouts are hard as hell. The workouts are very well rounded and include strength exercises, exercises focused on explosion and rotation, conditioning, and mobility. Think deadlifts, squats, power cleans, med ball throws and slams, ab/core work, runs/jump rope/bike, etc.

In addition to the workouts being presented daily via the app, there is also a movement library that shows videos on how to perform each exercise. There is also the ability to ask questions, which Michael responds to, and also the ability to interact with other subscribers. I asked Michael a question about what four mobility exercises would be best to perform on a daily basis with limited time available and Michael actually responded with a video the next day with exercises to answer my question. Lastly, there is ability to pay an additional fee and receive swing coaching from Michael. He is a PGA professional golf instructor.

Overall, the Golf WOD app is my favorite golf-centric workout program (I have tried a number of them). Here is my overall summary:

Pros:

• The workouts are challenging. I found some other golf workout programs to be too easy, the Golf WOD programs are never easy, always pushing me to the next level
  • Multiple levels of difficulty. You can choose "Athlete", "Lifestyle", or "Hybrid" based on your preference
  • Video library of exercises. There are always exercises that I am not sure how to do so I can always check out the videos in the library on the app
  • Michael and the community are awesome. He always responds to comments/questions everyday on the app. Hoping this continues as the size of the community grows

Cons:

• In my opinion, you need to have some equipment (or access to equipment) to get the most of out of the program. I would say you need dumbbells, a kettlebell, and a medicine ball at a minimum. Strongly suggested would be to have a barbell for deadlifts and other strength exercises, and then some sort of cardio equipment (i mostly use a jump rope, i hate running)
  • If you aren't presently in good shape, it will take some time to ramp up, these workouts are hard
  • I am worried that the price will eventually go up, because most other programs out there are more expensive

TLDR review: best value and best golf workout program out there in my opinion

IMG_7096.PNG.f467cb7a57b926f0f34c58498f8f08e8.PNG

Is that all for one workout?

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

9 minutes ago, beelzeberto said:

Is that all for one workout?

The screenshot is one workout.

Updated 07/15/2022

One thing I learned recently that is cool about the program via the app is that is tailored by where we are at in the golf season. So more power/strength focused in the offseason, etc.

Updated 07/15/2022

Just got in my Rogue barbell and bumper plates for my home gym. Previously I had a small barbell with only 120 pounds worth of small plates. Now I can do real deadlifts, power cleans, etc. I believe I will get even more out of this program now.

Updated 07/15/2022

8 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

What makes it a "Golf" WOD? That looks like a generic Crossfit style "WOD"

Regardless, I fully support more golfers consider their body as a tool that requires maintenance. 👍

I would say the workout program focuses on power, strength, conditioning, and mobility (mobility not shown in screenshot above). I get what you mean that the exercises aren't super golf specific, but i still think its very beneficial for golfers.

Updated 07/15/2022

• 1 month later...

Continuing to plug along with the workouts. Had like a three week streak where I was burned out and then got a sinus infection, but other than that, getting workouts in. I definitely don't follow some of the cardio portions of the workouts though. I think i increase my heart rate enough based on the strength exercises, so I skip things like the 400 meter runs, etc. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I tried golf for the first time last year and still doing it. It's a great relaxation, a bit like meditation, but in a dynamic way. I agree about the training, it`s necessary, I started without it and quickly realized that it was the wrong step. I started researching this topic and doing workouts. Most golf exercises focus on the gluteal muscles. The gluteal muscles play a huge role in body stability, mobility and the strength to lower the body appropriately when you take a powerful shot. With workouts I like these supplements, they`re great for muscle mass growth. Of course, this has only had a positive effect since then, my technique has improved.

Edited by ibizadance

• 3 months later...

I have been using GolfWOD for a little over a year and I have gained 17 yards off the tee and my body has never felt better. The app continues to release new stuff. There is now a ladies program, over 50s program, no equipment program and junior program. Can’t get any better! 

On 5/20/2022 at 5:33 AM, Neil77 said:

Nearly two years on, do you still use this App? Has the content been updated? Have you moved to something else? Thanks. Neil

Really recommend it. Content is updated all the time 

• 4 months later...