TESTERS WANTED! ×

Change in Iron Swing vs Results

I don't want to start a long argument for or against - so basically I've adopted some facets of the swing that rhymes with "sack and kilt". Doing this with my irons immediately improved contact, distance and most importantly consistency.  I struggled trying to incorporate some of these swing thoughts into the Driver until I ran across a Youtube video that really broke it down in a different way.

My driver improved enough that I almost immediately picked up 6-12 strokes a round. It's funny how having a shorter shot from the fairway makes approach shots easier. But I digress.

I was on the range today and was messing around with my 4 iron. I incorporated one of the things I've done in my driver swing (faster back swing) and using a bit more upright posture and essentially keeping the hands / club more upright at address and focusing on moving the hands / club / arms basically as piece "around" my body and then letting the hips and then my upper body go through on the downswing.

My normal 4 iron as of late is 180-185. This one one-hopped into the 200 yard sign. So I got the rangefinder out. 200 yard sign was 215 yards. Ball flight was a pretty tight draw. Adjusted my aim point and proceeded to do it again 5-6 times in a row. Then I tried the same changes on my 8 iron. Normally my 8 iron is 140 carry. Same effort "feel" but essentially feeling more "upright" netted an 8 iron (again with a small right to left draw) that landed right at the 150 yard sign. Measured that sign and it was 158 yards.

I only had a few more minutes left - so the last few were chips with the matching G30 LW I picked up cheap on Ebay.

The sound of the iron strikes with this change were more "crisp" - that's the only way I can describe it...and I feel like I was maybe a 6 or 7 in effort on a scale of 1-10. 

Just wondering out loud mainly.

Driver: :callaway-small: XR Speed 9º Project X HZRDUS T800 Stiff

3W : :ping-small: G 14.5º - Tour 80 stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G25 20º - TFC-189H stiff

Irons: :ping-small: 4-UW G30 Green Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: LW G30 Black Dot

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossie II

Lots of schools of thought on how to swing. I have so recently add a swing that rotate around the left side with less weight transfer to the right. I am seeing better ball contact and improved results form the top to bottom of the bag. The total stack and tilt model is a bit extreme but taking some of the aspects can be beneficial. Some people do best with generating power with rotation, some with lateral shift and some with vertical pressure.

Don’t worry what other people think; find what works for you.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Lots of schools of thought on how to swing. I have so recently add a swing that rotate around the left side with less weight transfer to the right. I am seeing better ball contact and improved results form the top to bottom of the bag. The total stack and tilt model is a bit extreme but taking some of the aspects can be beneficial. Some people do best with generating power with rotation, some with lateral shift and some with vertical pressure.

Don’t worry what other people think; find what works for you.

Thanks - I'm definitely not worried about what other people think about my swing, more wondering what changes in the swing keeping the club more upright at address, essentially trying to mimic impact position.

As a former baseball player, lower body rotation / speed isn't an issue for me. Since I started playing again a few months ago I started using a slower back swing to "keep control" but keying in on getting my hands "in and around" I can really get the back swing going it seems and really explode through contact.

Driver: :callaway-small: XR Speed 9º Project X HZRDUS T800 Stiff

3W : :ping-small: G 14.5º - Tour 80 stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G25 20º - TFC-189H stiff

Irons: :ping-small: 4-UW G30 Green Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: LW G30 Black Dot

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossie II

8 hours ago, ctandc said:

I don't want to start a long argument for or against - so basically I've adopted some facets of the swing that rhymes with "sack and kilt". Doing this with my irons immediately improved contact, distance and most importantly consistency.  I struggled trying to incorporate some of these swing thoughts into the Driver until I ran across a Youtube video that really broke it down in a different way.

My driver improved enough that I almost immediately picked up 6-12 strokes a round. It's funny how having a shorter shot from the fairway makes approach shots easier. But I digress.

I was on the range today and was messing around with my 4 iron. I incorporated one of the things I've done in my driver swing (faster back swing) and using a bit more upright posture and essentially keeping the hands / club more upright at address and focusing on moving the hands / club / arms basically as piece "around" my body and then letting the hips and then my upper body go through on the downswing.

My normal 4 iron as of late is 180-185. This one one-hopped into the 200 yard sign. So I got the rangefinder out. 200 yard sign was 215 yards. Ball flight was a pretty tight draw. Adjusted my aim point and proceeded to do it again 5-6 times in a row. Then I tried the same changes on my 8 iron. Normally my 8 iron is 140 carry. Same effort "feel" but essentially feeling more "upright" netted an 8 iron (again with a small right to left draw) that landed right at the 150 yard sign. Measured that sign and it was 158 yards.

I only had a few more minutes left - so the last few were chips with the matching G30 LW I picked up cheap on Ebay.

The sound of the iron strikes with this change were more "crisp" - that's the only way I can describe it...and I feel like I was maybe a 6 or 7 in effort on a scale of 1-10. 

Just wondering out loud mainly.

I very much agree with @cnosil comment "Lots of schools of thought on how to swing" .  Its nice when you have a theory especially regarding the golf swing and attempt to incorporate facets/pieces as you did. Even nicer when you see/experience positive results. Good job.