Our Sponsors

Im wanting to quit smoking. I'm 35 and been smoking a pack a day since i was about 16. 

What have you guys done to quit smoking? I'm thinking about trying a vape at 12mg then 6mg and then 3mg of nicotine until i'm at 0. 

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. I want to be successful and I don't like my kids watching me smoke.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Like 6

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I have never smoked cigarettes, having grown up with mom and dad smoking.  Dad started smoking in the Korean War, and smoked 3 packs a day until 1970.  Quit cold turkey.  He will be 90 in a few months.  Mom never smoked much, maybe a pack a day or less, but she tried everything back in the day when dad quit; just couldn't do it.  She smoked until the mid-1990's, but finally quit using hypnosis.  She passed away 3 years ago at 88.  

I'm not sure about vaping; seems like it can cause a lot of problems very quickly.  Be careful.  I wish you well kicking the habit.  

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Is the patch still a thing? I was a two pack a day smoker from 17-25. I was 25 when two things happened within a week of each other, my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and 9/11 happened. Crazy week for sure and I just said “forget this”, got the nicotine patch and it worked.

The funny thing was I really enjoyed smoking. I was the guy that thought I’d never quit and loved the drinking, smoking, partying life.

You have the right attitude not wanting to have your kids see you smoke. I grew up around a lot of alcoholism and I vowed I’d never let my kids see me drunk or stoned.

Good luck in your journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

I smoked and drank heavy from 13-25.  Would go through 1 1/2 to 3 packs a day, I absolutely loved smoking.  At 25 decided I did not like the idea of anything controlling me and decided to quit smoking and control my drinking.

Tried quitting cold turkey by finishing off my current pack while at a friend house.  Lasted about 45 minutes and walked to the corner store.  Tried again about a week later and it stuck.  For the first few months I would hang around the pub during the day and breathe in the ambient cigarette smoke.  It was enough to ween me off the nicotine.  Had dreams about smoking for about 5 years.  One upside I hadn't considered was my sense of smell improved greatly over the next 2 years.  

• Like 4

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I started smoking when I was 12 (dumbarse). I tried a number of time to quit and the longest I went was with Chantix for 6 months, then I got back on the bungers again. I decided to try vaping as an alternative about 6 years ago (smoked for 32 years) and I have had exactly 1 durry since...and it was awful.

I'm still vaping but I make my own juice so I know what's in it. When you say you want to start at 12mg and work your way down, that's good but that would depend on the type of vape you use. If you use a mouth to lung (MTL) then that would work, but if you use a direct to lung (DTL) like mine, it will not. The DTL vapes (the ones that you see people producing massive clouds) increase the nicotine output by about double. So, it you choose to use that type, I would suggest going with 6mg instead.

I would encourage you to do a lot of research on the various types and costs. If you go with the store bought Blu or something like that, it'll run you about half the cost of cigarettes. If you go with the DTL vapes, you can buy your juice from a store and still spend 1/4 to 1/2 a pack of cigarettes. If you make your own juice like I do, it'll run you maybe $90-150 a year.

• Like 2

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I may get flamed for this but I quit a few years ago using a hypnotist. It was actually more of a subliminal message type thing but the program is Mark Patrick seminars. I smoked the last cigarette in my pack right before I went in and told myself I was going to go all in and see if it works. Haven’t touched one since. I had cravings for about a week but that was more out of habit than anything. 

• Like 5

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

I quit January of 2015.  I had been cutting back for a few months - first stopped smoking in my car, then on my breaks at work, etc.  After a while a day came where I decided firmly enough I wanted to be done and I started taking some leftover Chantix from a previous attempt (NOT for everyone due to possible side effects), and it finally stuck.   Sense of smell and taste improved greatly - I found I do not like olive oil.

Oddly, I still kind of like the smell of smoke (just a whiff here and there on the breeze), but I can't stand the way people smell when they've been smoking.

My BIL did the hypnotist thing around 2002 and has been smoke free ever since.

Good luck!

• Like 4

I quit 5 years ago....I went vape with nicotine for 2 weeks...then cut it to 1/2 nicotine for a week, 1/4 nicotine for a week then no nicotine for about 2 weeks before I just put it away.

I did put on about 30 lbs though ☹️

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 7/20/2020 at 9:46 PM, StrawberryShortCake said:

Im wanting to quit smoking. I'm 35 and been smoking a pack a day since i was about 16. 

What have you guys done to quit smoking? I'm thinking about trying a vape at 12mg then 6mg and then 3mg of nicotine until i'm at 0. 

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. I want to be successful and I don't like my kids watching me smoke.

I recently quit dipping. Not smoking but just as addictive. I cold turkeyed it. Sucked for a little bit hardest part was getting through habitual things like when I got in the car or golf course.

i think up and quitting is best instead of wheening but is definitly hard.

ive been dipping for a long time about 15 years and have been done for over a month now. Still have cravings but hopefully it sticks

• Like 6

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

On 7/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, StrawberryShortCake said:

See your on active duty, that's when I started smoking, 1982, while in the hospital waiting for knee surgery, I tried several ways while in USAF, retired as a smoker. When I remarried, she was also a smoker, we quit 12 years ago.

Here is what we say when asked how we did it:

1) You HAVE to be ready

2) You HAVE to want to quit

3) Start cutting down on the "trigger" smokes, I started by smoking only one during my drive from and to work, then none. We also stopped smoking in the house

4) SMALL victories, one day, then 1 week, the 2 weeks, a month, 3 months,,etc,etc,, before we knew it, it was a year

5) TALK to someone who has quit, be surprised how much support they can give.

• Like 6

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

Any of you guys try the nicotine pouches? Buddy introduced me to those last time we played and I wasn't familiar with them. Said it was less harmful than vaping and WAY less harmful than cigs - his former vice. Wasn't sure about any real world results with them, but seemed like an interesting idea for those trying to cut back or quit all together.

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:ping-small:  Eye 2 Persimmon 3 Wood

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

• 2 months later...

StrawberryShortCake, please quit! We need you around a while!
I started smoking around 14 years old and stopped I believe in 1984 only because of my kids nagging me and a financial setback (embezzlement) that convinced me to quit. It was a great decision. I’m almost 74 and have clear lungs!
So please quit Grasshopper

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 7/23/2020 at 4:50 PM, Lacassem said:

I recently quit dipping. Not smoking but just as addictive. I cold turkeyed it. Sucked for a little bit hardest part was getting through habitual things like when I got in the car or golf course.

i think up and quitting is best instead of wheening but is definitly hard.

ive been dipping for a long time about 15 years and have been done for over a month now. Still have cravings but hopefully it sticks

I used to dip as well, for about 6 years. It was tough, but eventually just went cold turkey. Its been about 10 years now since I quit.

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I used to dip as well, for about 6 years. It was tough, but eventually just went cold turkey. Its been about 10 years now since I quit.

Been several months now...couple tough days here and there and car rides still tough sometimes but have not had 1 which is progress!

i have looked at alternatives and 1 was tea leaves and had nicotine but have not gone down the road....

• Like 4

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

4 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Been several months now...couple tough days here and there and car rides still tough sometimes but have not had 1 which is progress!

i have looked at alternatives and 1 was tea leaves and had nicotine but have not gone down the road....

For a while, I would have a tin, throw it away in the garbage and make sure it was put underneath other stuff in the garbage. And then the next day I would dig the tin out and take a dip.

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Taking the first step in wanting to quit is a step in the right direction and mind set. If not for yourself do it for your children. I quit cold turkey and gained a few pounds in the process but my body definitely felt the difference in about a week or two. Good luck in your journey.

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

• Like 3

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

On 7/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, StrawberryShortCake said:

I started at age 17 and smoked steadily at the rate of 1-2 packs per day until 1993.  I "quit" several times during he cthat period, once as long as 11 months.  My wife nagged me to quit, my daughter nagged me to quit, I knew the health hazards, etc, etc, etc.---- nothing seemed to motivate me to really quit, despite what I thought were some honest efforts.  After retiring from the service and going back to school to finish my degree, I was hired by a stock brokerage firm.  My office was on the 3rd floor and smoking was not allowed in the building.  Walking down to the street for a cigarette was not really an option.  So, I used a nicotine patch.  Even with the patch, at the end of my day on the way home, I'd smoke a cigarette and remove the patch.  What finally made me quit forever was the stench on my expensive suits.  Seriously! Because I wasn't smoking as much, my sense of smell made me notice how much I and my clothing stunk!  I wadded up the remaining pack of cigarettes and threw them away.  I haven't had a cigarette since.  It wasn't easy, but you won't quit until you want to quit yourself.  When you make that decision for a reason that you believe in, you'll struggle.   My advice is to determine why you want to quit, throw away the cigarettes and suffer through the 2 weeks of withdrawal and never look back.  Best of luck to you.  Your body will thank you.

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I smoked unfiltered Camels from the ages of fifteen to forty-seven.

I smoked my last cigarette in March of 1994.

Quitting smoking was the most difficult thing, perhaps, that I've ever done.

The first thing to realize is that quitting smoking is doing two things, not one.

First, you must beat nicotine addiction.

Then you must beat the habitual/psychological aspect of smoking.

The methods for doing each are entirely different and unrelated, so if you don't realize that you have to do two different things,

you're in trouble from the start.

To beat the addiction, I used the patch.

The first week's patches were huge, maybe the diameter of a baseball, and provided almost as much nicotine as smoking would,

Then the patches get progressively smaller until the last ones were about the size of a quarter.

That weened me off the nicotine, but did nothing to break the habit of smoking.

To break the habit, you must completely break your routine for at least a week to ten days.

Take time off from work.

Travel somewhere new.

Fill up your time,,,play golf, see stage shows, anything, really.

Giving up smoking is like losing a very close friend or relative.

You will feel aggrieved, so indulge yourself in many different ways.

Sleep until 10 o'clock.

Eat too much.

Drink too much.

Have too much sex, and make it even kinkier and more depraved than usual.  

Get stoned, but on edibles. Don't smoke anything.

Do everything you like to do except smoke, and do it at different times of the day than you normally would, so that you're not continuing habits.

Quitting smoking is not a small thing, so don't be afraid to take extraordinary measures and make a big production of it if that's what it takes.

Now I've told you that I haven't had a cigarette since March of 1994.

An elaborate computer program at one time estimated my life span to be 59 years based on my personal habits and weight.

I'm 74.

So go for it, even though it won't be easy.

Edited by NiftyNiblick
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I smoked unfiltered Camels from the ages of fifteen to forty-seven.

I smoked my last cigarette in March of 1994.

Quitting smoking was the most difficult thing, perhaps, that I've ever done.

The first thing to realize is that quitting smoking is doing two things, not one.

First, you must beat nicotine addiction.

Then you must beat the habitual/psychological aspect of smoking.

The methods for doing each are entirely different and unrelated, so if you don't realize that you have to do two different things,

you're in trouble from the start.

To beat the addiction, I used the patch.

The first week's patches were huge, maybe the diameter of a baseball, and provided almost as much nicotine as smoking would,

Then the patches get progressively smaller until the last ones were about the size of a quarter.

That weened me off the nicotine, but did nothing to break the habit of smoking.

To break the habit, you must completely break your routine for at least a week to ten days.

Take time off from work.

Travel somewhere new.

Fill up your time,,,play golf, see stage shows, anything, really.

Giving up smoking is like losing a very close friend or relative.

You will feel aggrieved, so indulge yourself in many different ways.

Sleep until 10 o'clock.

Eat too much.

Drink too much.

Have too much sex, and make it even kinkier and more depraved than usual.  

Get stoned, but on edibles. Don't smoke anything.

Do everything you like to do except smoke, and do it at different times of the day than you normally would, so that you're not continuing habits.

Quitting smoking is not a small thing, so don't be afraid to take extraordinary measures and make a big production of it if that's what it takes.

Now I've told you that I haven't had a cigarette since March of 1994.

An elaborate computer program at one time estimated my life span to be 59 years based on my personal habits and weight.

I'm 74.

So go for it, even though it won't be easy.

I quit around 1984 and it was brutal. I’ll be 74 in couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list