TESTERS WANTED! ×

AcesAndHoles Reviews: Bombtech Grenade 3.0 Driver

AcesAndHoles

BOOM! Bombtech's slogan of choice. Sully, their owner and originator set on a journey to produce a driver that not only outperforms the market share of big-brand drivers, but also does so at half the cost. The products they produce are in bold colors and seek to make a statement when you pull them out of their respective covers and tee up. Do they stack up? Keep reading for our first-impressions of the Grenade 3.0. After a little more testing we'll follow-up with some data and final thoughts. 

**Edited** We finally were able to get some data on the driver and update! Thanks for the wait. Photos and video to come!

Who tested the club? 

For this series we had three testers take a rip at the Grenade 3.0: (1) The Four Putt Prince; (2) Fairway Queen; and, (3) KrolMaks.

The Four Putt Prince-- the author and yours truly--is an 18 handicap male that recently picked up golf with an athletic build, high swing speed, and stone-hands around the green. Best known for "accidentally" bombing Par 4s for 300+ over the green, artfully chipping back on, only to end up putting for bogeys. Known weaknesses are unnecessary body movement when trying to do too much, trying to track the ball early, and the occasional wicked slice.

The Fairway Queen is exactly that-- a Fairway Queen. She's an athletic 12 handicap female who specializes in finding good terrain regardless of the par, hole, or conditions. The Fairway queen is the type to drive a bunker only to have the ball skip out over the lip, launch skyward and roll for another 20 yards. Her drives are picturesque only punctuated by the smirk and smile when she smokes you from the Men's tees. Her other strengths are chipping for clean putts. Known weaknesses include "rescue" anything clubs and hitting woods off the deck. 

KrolMaks is the self-proclaimed King of the Course, showing up in the exact same outfit whether its 55 degrees outside or 105 degrees-- LONG pants, starched collar polos, and a cap to doff when he sinks putts with flair. KM is a tall, lanky player whose strengths include extreme focus in sticky situations and sharp reads on greens. Known weaknesses are consistency  and tempo of his strokes. KM runs about a 30 handicap with strokes of brilliance followed by shots that make you scratch your head. 

The unit we tested was a standard weight and length Grenade 3.0 in their "Stiff" Flex shaft. The specs below are taken directly from their site. Our model was a 9*. 

BombTech 3.0 Driver Club Head Specs

Face Material: Titanium

Head Weight: 200 grams

Face Angle: 1* closed

Hosel Depth: 38mm

Hosel Diameter: 0.335 inches

Size: 450cc

Lie: 59*

Dexterity: Right Handed

BombTech 3.0 Shaft Specs

Torque: 3.8

Launch: Mid-High

Kick: Mid

Weight: Regular 54 G, Stiff 56

Driver Length: 45.75 inches

Optics

I'll admit, the Grenade 3.0 is not a club for everyone. I personally happen to love neon/lime green and black in just about every combination so the Grenade 3.0 popped to my eyes and brought a smile to my face. Having said that, the club is downright garish to others. On public courses,  we had several people come up to us(within 6 feet!) to ask questions after hearing the club-holder tee off (more on this later 🥴). At private clubs, we may have... possibly... potentially... maybe offended the sensibilities of some of the more traditional patrons. (Oops!)

One thing you'll notice right away is that the Grenade is a statement-driver. The reflective black bottom is highlighted with points of Green where the weights sit and BOMBTECH GOLF boldly written across the bottom. You'll also find markings that reflect the degrees of the club, and head-size. The crown/top of the driver is a bit less pronounced with a nice soft matte and an alignment "Bombtech" script giving you an indication of the sweet spot. The shaft is neon green and marked with "Bombtech" and "stiff". 

I'd buy a neon green driver any day of the week, and twice on Sunday if it performs to my standards. My playing companions weren't so keen. 

Sound and Feel

This is likely one of the most commonly griped about sections that lovers and critics of Bombtech debate. The feel and look of the driver at address is clean, and simple. However, it does not share the aggressive styling and feel of other name-brand drivers-- you get what you pay for. The grip itself is a standard/ basic grip that is replicated on all of their clubs, whether they are a driver or a wedge. Fairway Queen and I had no issues with the grip on the club, but KM was not a fan and found that the surface actually discolored/ rubbed off on his hitting glove. Typically I prefer more robust grips (I can palm a basketball) and I found that the grip was less comfortable and did not inspire confidence when attempting to relax and loosen up for a smooth down-swing. Players with large hands or looser grips may find that the club can torque in the hands at unexpected times depending on where the shaft is kicking in the downswing; unfortunately, this can promote mishits. 

Swinging the club around and through practice swings felt ok, but a bit unpredictable. Many reviews and users have found that the "Stiff" shaft is quite flexy and have had trouble finding the sweet spot in their swing. All three of our playtesters agreed that it was difficult to "feel" where the head was in their swing and to adjust their swing to accommodate for the shaft. All three also found that the driver felt a touch lighter than what they were used to. Personally, I struggled finding a good tempo and swing-speed for this driver but I'm also used to playing with a 76g X-stiff shaft. 

Holy cow this driver is loud and piercing. You. Will. Draw. Stares. There's no two ways about it and no way to mask the report off the titanium face. One common reaction is the assumption you automatically smashed a drive, and questions of "how far is that?" The other most common reaction is for people to ask if you either broke your driver, or the ball when hitting it. 🤣 I'll admit, it's amusing the first few times but quickly gets old. Two thumbs down here across the board from our testers. 

Performance **UPDATED**

While Bombtech presents a really nice package and works hard on their advertising, we did not find that the Bombtech Grenade 3.0 outperformed whatever we had in our bag at the time of testing. While I'm sure there's a market of people who enjoy the Grenade 3.0, it didn't work well for me and the numbers proved it. 

The absolute best shot I was able to hit with the Grenade produced the following results with a Titleist Pro V1:

Carry-- 267.4yds

Swing Speed-- 104.2mph

Ball Speed-- 155.3mph

Launch Angle-- 12.7

Smash Factor-- 1.49

Apex-- 101.8ft

Spin-- 3170rpm

The AVG on-course data I was able to collect with the Grenade was as follows with (5) Bridgestone 330 RX balls: 

Carry-- 249.1yds

Swing Speed-- 107.6mph

Ball Speed-- 149.2mph

Launch Angle-- 12.0

Smash Factor-- 1.39

Apex-- 91.2ft

Spin-- 3522rpm

The AVG data from my usual driver taken from a recent practice set (and range balls) removing the highest and lowest statistical outliers is as follows:

Carry-- 261.3yds

Swing Speed-- 110.7mph

Ball Speed-- 155.2mph

Launch Angle-- 10.4

Smash Factor-- 1.40

Apex-- 86.9ft

Spin-- 3485rpm

I struggled mightily with the feel of the shaft and the club-head as I swung. As mentioned above I had to drop my swing-speed to get any sort of consistency with this driver and even then I was snapping off shots far left of center and slicing balls right with the same discomfort. Hitting the fairway was do-able but less than confidence inspiring. Case and point, we've been doing a series of tests on putting aids and ball-markers lately which includes a fair-share of wiping sharpie off club heads-- one of the shots I hit dead center in the hot-zone of the club produced a 250-something carry. I assumed I mis-hit the ball until I went to put the driver head-cover on and noticed the sharpie stripe smack in the middle of the club. On that particular shot I had no feedback of where impact was, or that it was well struck other than I hit the fairway. It was an unsettling feeling. On the other hand, I attempted to toe and heel a series of balls and could quite literally feel the club torque in my hands on some impacts. Forgiveness even in these situations was surprisingly good.

One area where I wasn't particularly confident with the readings we received was in the apex flight. While I personally hit to the clouds, I don't think this was accurately reflected in our data. The Grenade Driver felt like it launched excessively high even by my standards, to the point where my playing partners and I struggled to track balls initially off the tee. The driver we received was a 9.5* but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a 10.5* or greater.

While I may wow my playing companions with a prodigious slice every now and again, my feeling of inconsistency was mirrored by my testing companions. Shockingly, Fairway Queen failed to find the fairway with this club producing a series of slices that are completely uncharacteristic for her game. KM similarly struggled to find a rhythm, but was able to produce more consistent shots.

Did we mention it's loud and obnoxious? 😄 Although it really doesn't affect performance of the driver in any way, we noticed that all of the bombtech clubs get phenomenally dirty in no time at all. One session at the range with about 50 balls had me searching for water and my scrub-brush. 18 holes had me wishing I brought some soap with me. I've played with the wedge set only one time on-course to date and the 60 degree legitimately looks like I played in mud. Yet, my other 60*, which I played side-by side for comparison,  looks regular and in need of a wipe-down if I'm being generous. **Good News!** It scrubs clean very easily.

Value **UPDATED**

I struggled quite a bit with this portion of the review. I see the potential for this club in someone's bag, but it's not for me or the crew-- take it with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, Bombtech produced a relatively modern driver that can be found paired with a matched 3-wood and the right promo-code for under $300. From a value standpoint that's incredible. If you evaluate the driver from a... say...$200 standpoint, I'm impressed with what Bombtech has put together. When you back it with what has been (in my experience) great customer support and responsiveness, it's a steal for a weekend golfer who is happy to get out and play the game. Having said that, anyone who is picky about their equipment will struggle with these clubs and will likely end up buying a big-name replacement. For someone with a lower swing-speed the Grenade may be a fairway-blaster. but we felt that at anything 100+ mph, without pro-level understanding of what the club is doing, it's somewhat unpredictable. 

Conclusion **UPDATED**

While the Grenade 3.0 doesn't quite make it into my bag, I don't rightly understand the shade that the club has received from the review community provided you evaluate it objectively. Taken SUBJECTIVELY, the club does not meet the marketing claims that Bombtech boasts. I've heard some back and forth about other claims and manufacturing along the way but have not considered them for the purpose of this review. Objectively speaking you're getting a $200 driver that looks good, sounds terrible, has a solid support team, and is capable of putting up some decent numbers in the right hands.

The team and I struggled quite a bit with this driver (yes, there was a 230yd shot, total distance, that looked like a bomb 🤫) but to say that the testing results we received were a complete wash would be a misnomer. We struggled with the shaft on this driver, but it does show some promise from a numbers standpoint. With a swing speed of 104mph and a launch angle of 12.7*, I was able to produce a 267.4y carry which was likely in the 280+ roll range. Smash factor was near 1.5 on that shot. I'll take 280 on a fairway any day. But, the club has to be right for you, no the other way around. With BT, you're going to have to take a chance and bank on the refund program before you can say whether it will work for you or not.

Personally I'd consider giving the Grenade 3.0 a shot if I could find more consistency in the stroke and the shaft but until then, I'll keep my Adams! 

NOTE: I paid for this demo out of pocket to review. I also ran into an issue with the 3-wood that came with the driver where the shaft broke-- I contacted BT and within a day they offered to have a replacement shipped free of charge, no questions asked. Similarly, they have answered all of my questions and inquiries within a day of sending them. It's a good feeling to know that there's a person at the other end of the line.

Next Up: Mavrik magic!!

Edited by AcesAndHoles

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

Hmmm....

Post praising Bombtech? Check.

Poster who just joined this month? Check.

xMwakNO.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Okay, you got me.  I looked at the website, claims, current promotional deals, and 60 day money back guarantee.  I didn't see it in the website, but presuming the products are USGA and R&A compliant, time for them to make their way to the MGS Hit Squad 👍.

Gotta hand it too folks who pour their efforts into product design, manufacturing and marketing... so long as their intentions are genuine and honest.

https://www.bombtechgolf.com/pages/our-story

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 7/21/2020 at 7:45 AM, russtopherb said:

Hmmm....

Post praising Bombtech? Check.

Poster who just joined this month? Check.

xMwakNO.gif

You might want to warm up the popcorn...🤣

On 7/21/2020 at 7:46 PM, dlow206 said:

We'd give it a shot if we can get our hands on one. 

• 7 months later...

I bought the original Grenade driver about 5-6 years ago. Initially had some trouble feeling like I could control it as easily as the club I was replacing, the Cleveland HiBore. I now feel pretty comfortable with it, but have been curious to hear opinions comparing the new 3.0 model versus the original to help decide whether it's worth upgrading. I heard their 2.0 version wasn't well-received, but got the impression that the 3.0 was better, perhaps from an accuracy standpoint. The original I have is indeed LOUD and from what I'm reading here that apparently hasn't changed (it's named the Grenade, so I guess it has to be loud, huh?)

In my case, I really haven't hit enough of the modern drivers to make a fair evaluation of how my driver stacks up against the competition. Maybe it's time to go get a proper fitting and see what's really the right driver for my swing.

Much has changed in 7 months for me both club-wise and swing-style. I'm now consistently driving the ball in the 270-290y range and my targeting has improved with approximately the same swing-speeds. Having said that I don't think my opinion would change drastically. 

After having tested about 10 other drivers since I authored this I'd say that the Grenade is a value for the developing player that wants to get something solid while saving a couple $$, but isn't ready to dip into the mainstream offerings just yet and commit to the investment a proper fitting and mainstream driver requires.

With my higher swing speed the Grenade just wasn't a match. If I slapped a Hzrdus shaft on it, things may be a bit better but then (conservatively) I'd be paying $300+ and have to custom a driver when there are better, older gen options (new) for less, or slightly used.  Even the best shots I hit with it didn't line up with what I can do on the lower-end with my current driver or my old franken-driver. Similarly I didn't get a great sense of contact point feel to be able to correct my swing. There never was an "aha" moment where I felt like I was in the driver's seat. 

Assuming your stroke remains consistent and you're not trying to change anything with it, a fitting will go a long way towards improving your game. If nothing else you have the assurance that you're getting the most consistency/distance out of your equipment for your current swing. In the end, no amount of fitting will solve a wild duck-hook but it can definitely help. 

Did I mention, dear Lord the sound! My Cally Epic Flash SZ is terribly high-pitched but even that doesn't match the Grenade assault on your ears. 

1 hour ago, Eat My Divots said:

I bought the original Grenade driver about 5-6 years ago. Initially had some trouble feeling like I could control it as easily as the club I was replacing, the Cleveland HiBore. I now feel pretty comfortable with it, but have been curious to hear opinions comparing the new 3.0 model versus the original to help decide whether it's worth upgrading. I heard their 2.0 version wasn't well-received, but got the impression that the 3.0 was better, perhaps from an accuracy standpoint. The original I have is indeed LOUD and from what I'm reading here that apparently hasn't changed (it's named the Grenade, so I guess it has to be loud, huh?)

In my case, I really haven't hit enough of the modern drivers to make a fair evaluation of how my driver stacks up against the competition. Maybe it's time to go get a proper fitting and see what's really the right driver for my swing.

Yes. Get the fitting and don’t buy from this company

10 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

I actually just got a fitting appointment set up for next week so I'm very interested to see what it reveals in terms of identifying the optimal specs for my swing.

If you have some basic stats-- swing speed, launch angle, and spin, or can tell me about what your ball currently does, and what you want it to do I can give you some suggestions and direction to look at/ start with so that your fitting will be a little more targeted. It'll save you a bit of time for the basics. 

4 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

If you have some basic stats-- swing speed, launch angle, and spin, or can tell me about what your ball currently does, and what you want it to do I can give you some suggestions and direction to look at/ start with so that your fitting will be a little more targeted. It'll save you a bit of time for the basics. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any data like this to share. My appointment is at GolfTec, where they're offering a discounted price of $100 (normally $150) for the fitting this month. But I'm sure the plan is that they're going to want to sell me one of their $400-500 drivers after going through this exercise. I'd be more inclined to just take all of the fitting details and then shop around on my own, for example picking up a good used one off eBay that closely matches my specs.

Any thoughts on this?

What are you currently playing? What shaft and what loft? What's your average distance, best case scenario distance, and your usual miss? Last but not least what's your "start line" like? 

PGATSS has fittings for $55ish by me. Depends on how much time they spend with you. Never feel obligated to buy, and NEVER buy on your first/second play. Also, since you're paying the money, don't hesitate to ask and try as many combinations as you like. 

22 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

After having tested about 10 other drivers since I authored this I'd say that the Grenade is a value for the developing player that wants to get something solid while saving a couple $$, but isn't ready to dip into the mainstream offerings just yet and commit to the investment a proper fitting and mainstream driver requires.

It isn't even a good price value though for them. Its $397 for the driver and I have to take their crappy 3 wood too. There is no option for just the driver 

Tour Edge already has that value market locked up and getting a Major OEM driver that is 1 or 2 generations old will still be a better value and definitely a better performer. 

I understand your trying to sell Bombtech really hard for some reason but your doing it in the wrong place. Frankly you shouldn't be trying to push that snake oil at all.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

1 hour ago, DPattGolf said:

It isn't even a good price value though for them. Its $397 for the driver and I have to take their crappy 3 wood too. There is no option for just the driver 

Tour Edge already has that value market locked up and getting a Major OEM driver that is 1 or 2 generations old will still be a better value and definitely a better performer. 

I understand your trying to sell Bombtech really hard for some reason but your doing it in the wrong place. Frankly you shouldn't be trying to push that snake oil at all.

Easy there, I think you're reading the wrong break. I'm not trying to sell anything and I think I gave it a fair shake coming from someone who didn't have the luxury of playing with top gear when I first started (tennis or golf for that matter). If anything I advised against the purchase, no?

IIRC, I paid maybe $225 bucks for the Driver and 3 wood combo on sale, returned them, and had no issues. The people over at BT were pretty accommodating and nice. I paid $107ish for their wedges when I tried them and had no issues sending them back either.  Considering a player that's learning, younger, or doesn't have the funds to pay for for a mainstream brand, they're not terrible as a first set. Having said that, of course there's better gear out there-- they would not be my first, third, or even fifth choice. Should have read "of value," not "a value"

On a different note, how do you like the P2 Aware? @DPattGolf I just purchased a React Tour and am waiting on it in the mail. 

Edited by AcesAndHoles

10 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

What are you currently playing? What shaft and what loft? What's your average distance, best case scenario distance, and your usual miss? Last but not least what's your "start line" like? 

PGATSS has fittings for $55ish by me. Depends on how much time they spend with you. Never feel obligated to buy, and NEVER buy on your first/second play. Also, since you're paying the money, don't hesitate to ask and try as many combinations as you like. 

Well, you already know what I'm playing because of the thread, except for the details of 10.5 loft and stiff shaft. I would say a good drive for me is in the 270 range, average maybe 255-260? Not sure what you mean by "start line". As for misses, I'd say I'm probably a bit more prone to having a mild slice, but occasionally I'll get a straight pull to the left. Anyway, recently I've been doing pretty well at avoiding the big wayward drives.

As for the fitting, if I can come away with some meaningful numbers that will help me find a suitable driver as I continue shopping around, then I should be satisfied.

On 3/27/2021 at 1:13 AM, Eat My Divots said:

Well, you already know what I'm playing because of the thread, except for the details of 10.5 loft and stiff shaft. I would say a good drive for me is in the 270 range, average maybe 255-260? Not sure what you mean by "start line". As for misses, I'd say I'm probably a bit more prone to having a mild slice, but occasionally I'll get a straight pull to the left. Anyway, recently I've been doing pretty well at avoiding the big wayward drives.

As for the fitting, if I can come away with some meaningful numbers that will help me find a suitable driver as I continue shopping around, then I should be satisfied.

Oops, I assumed you moved on to something different 😄

Solid numbers. Start lines are usually for putts but I guess what I meant is what path and trajectory does your ball start on off of the tee. The straight pull left helps. I had similar issues where I went from a slice (rh) to a fade with the occasional laser left ever time I'd try to "play" the slice or fade.

I'd look for a shaft in the stiff/stiff+ range, mid launch and low spin. I think the Evenflow Riptide may be a decent option in 6.0 with something in the 60g range. Maybe an Aldila Rogue Silver. If your launch is very high like mine you could even consider one of the lighter Hzrdus Smoke Black/Yellow shafts but you'll need to be able to whip that sucker. Tensei blue will sit you smack in the middle of the spectrum. Love Mitsubishi feel. 

I liked the Callaway line and play an Epic Flash SZ but I also wanted adjustability and needed help dropping my backspin. In retrospect it's a lot of stick to handle with all the options. If you can demo the Maverick line or the new Epic line and are budget conscious, Cally Pre has great deals on these every now and again once you know your specs. Mav line will play similar but have MUCH better acoustics (can't stress this enough, Epic Flash is painful to hit in a booth without headphones at the range). I know a lot of people are moving away from Cally lately but I couldn't pass up a "Like New" driver (still in plastic) for $225 that was only one gen back at the time. It's also easy to get a pre-owned "like new" shaft for around $90 from the factory with a warranty if you want to change down the road. I'd stick to the regular version though, not the SZ.

I'd also look into the Ping SFT or the Max. The last two years have had massive success--  haven't hit the new one so I can't comment. 

Lastly check out Tour Edge. The EXS 220 is a steal if you can find them and sounds like a good fit for your needs. I loved the EXS Pro (smaller head) and was on the verge of buying one before I got my current driver. They also carry a certified pre-owned section. 

All the brands will have some variation or another to fit into what you need but that's the fun of it-- don't be afraid to try everything and tip the poor b@stard that takes the time to fit you 😄

Hope that helps. 

-A

13 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Oops, I assumed you moved on to something different 😄

Solid numbers. Start lines are usually for putts but I guess what I meant is what path and trajectory does your ball start on off of the tee. The straight pull left helps. I had similar issues where I went from a slice (rh) to a fade with the occasional laser left ever time I'd try to "play" the slice or fade.

I'd look for a shaft in the stiff/stiff+ range, mid launch and low spin. I think the Evenflow Riptide may be a decent option in 6.0 with something in the 60g range. Maybe an Aldila Rogue Silver. If your launch is very high like mine you could even consider one of the lighter Hzrdus Smoke Black/Yellow shafts but you'll need to be able to whip that sucker. Tensei blue will sit you smack in the middle of the spectrum. Love Mitsubishi feel. 

I liked the Callaway line and play an Epic Flash SZ but I also wanted adjustability and needed help dropping my backspin. In retrospect it's a lot of stick to handle with all the options. If you can demo the Maverick line or the new Epic line and are budget conscious, Cally Pre has great deals on these every now and again once you know your specs. Mav line will play similar but have MUCH better acoustics (can't stress this enough, Epic Flash is painful to hit in a booth without headphones at the range). I know a lot of people are moving away from Cally lately but I couldn't pass up a "Like New" driver (still in plastic) for $225 that was only one gen back at the time. It's also easy to get a pre-owned "like new" shaft for around $90 from the factory with a warranty if you want to change down the road. I'd stick to the regular version though, not the SZ.

I'd also look into the Ping SFT or the Max. The last two years have had massive success--  haven't hit the new one so I can't comment. 

Lastly check out Tour Edge. The EXS 220 is a steal if you can find them and sounds like a good fit for your needs. I loved the EXS Pro (smaller head) and was on the verge of buying one before I got my current driver. They also carry a certified pre-owned section. 

All the brands will have some variation or another to fit into what you need but that's the fun of it-- don't be afraid to try everything and tip the poor b@stard that takes the time to fit you 😄

Hope that helps. 

-A

Thanks for the input. BTW, I already cancelled my GolfTec fitting appointment and plan to get a fitting through an independent shop. Had a nice talk with the guy and while they deal strictly with Mizuno and Ping, he said he would gladly assist me with finding whatever is suitable, including used options, once he's dialed in on the specs. From his point of view, it's almost entirely about finding the right shaft and then the clubhead is secondary. Seems like you may be saying essentially the same thing.

11 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

Thanks for the input. BTW, I already cancelled my GolfTec fitting appointment and plan to get a fitting through an independent shop. Had a nice talk with the guy and while they deal strictly with Mizuno and Ping, he said he would gladly assist me with finding whatever is suitable, including used options, once he's dialed in on the specs. From his point of view, it's almost entirely about finding the right shaft and then the clubhead is secondary. Seems like you may be saying essentially the same thing.

Good luck! And yes, I think I had the same approach. Shaft is going to be what's driving the club head. It'll have a lot more influence on your confidence and dispersion laterally. Club head will then fine tune feel, forgiveness, spin, and distance within reason. Obviously if a club head is drastically lighter/heavier or blade vs chonk it's going to make a diff but most manf'rs have several categories to try out. In my experience it matters more for irons and wedges than drivers since most driver heads are adjustable on your own nowadays. Also, if you take a look at the data tables from MGS reviews the actual distance difference between diff driver heads is pretty tight. 

On 3/31/2021 at 10:10 AM, AcesAndHoles said:

Good luck! And yes, I think I had the same approach. Shaft is going to be what's driving the club head. It'll have a lot more influence on your confidence and dispersion laterally. Club head will then fine tune feel, forgiveness, spin, and distance within reason. Obviously if a club head is drastically lighter/heavier or blade vs chonk it's going to make a diff but most manf'rs have several categories to try out. In my experience it matters more for irons and wedges than drivers since most driver heads are adjustable on your own nowadays. Also, if you take a look at the data tables from MGS reviews the actual distance difference between diff driver heads is pretty tight. 

Just had my fitting today. Basically, he said my Grenade wasn't too bad based on the numbers Trackman was showing. But he had my try about a half dozen different combinations and his recommendation is the ProjectX Even Flow 75, 5.5 flex. Distance numbers weren't dramatically better, but the dispersion of my shots was fairly tight, mostly with a slight draw, which I rather like to see. I was using a Ping G410 head for most of my trials. My clubhead speed was generally in the 96-98 range with several just outside of that range. This particular shaft also seemed to give me a bit higher trajectory and higher spin (most of Grenade shots were pretty low, well under 2000 RPM).

Anyway, now I'm going to scour the internet and see if I can find a good deal on a used club with this shaft, otherwise just try to find a head I like and have him put one of those shafts on it.

9 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

Just had my fitting today. Basically, he said my Grenade wasn't too bad based on the numbers Trackman was showing. But he had my try about a half dozen different combinations and his recommendation is the ProjectX Even Flow 75, 5.5 flex. Distance numbers weren't dramatically better, but the dispersion of my shots was fairly tight, mostly with a slight draw, which I rather like to see. I was using a Ping G410 head for most of my trials. My clubhead speed was generally in the 96-98 range with several just outside of that range. This particular shaft also seemed to give me a bit higher trajectory and higher spin (most of Grenade shots were pretty low, well under 2000 RPM).

Anyway, now I'm going to scour the internet and see if I can find a good deal on a used club with this shaft, otherwise just try to find a head I like and have him put one of those shafts on it.

Ahh, so I wasn't too far off! Glad you found something that you're happy with and that works. The G410 is an awesome driver head. Enjoy!