AcesAndHoles Reviews: Bombtech Grenade 3.0 Driver

AcesAndHoles

11 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

Thanks for the input. BTW, I already cancelled my GolfTec fitting appointment and plan to get a fitting through an independent shop. Had a nice talk with the guy and while they deal strictly with Mizuno and Ping, he said he would gladly assist me with finding whatever is suitable, including used options, once he's dialed in on the specs. From his point of view, it's almost entirely about finding the right shaft and then the clubhead is secondary. Seems like you may be saying essentially the same thing.

Good luck! And yes, I think I had the same approach. Shaft is going to be what's driving the club head. It'll have a lot more influence on your confidence and dispersion laterally. Club head will then fine tune feel, forgiveness, spin, and distance within reason. Obviously if a club head is drastically lighter/heavier or blade vs chonk it's going to make a diff but most manf'rs have several categories to try out. In my experience it matters more for irons and wedges than drivers since most driver heads are adjustable on your own nowadays. Also, if you take a look at the data tables from MGS reviews the actual distance difference between diff driver heads is pretty tight. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

On 3/31/2021 at 10:10 AM, AcesAndHoles said:

Good luck! And yes, I think I had the same approach. Shaft is going to be what's driving the club head. It'll have a lot more influence on your confidence and dispersion laterally. Club head will then fine tune feel, forgiveness, spin, and distance within reason. Obviously if a club head is drastically lighter/heavier or blade vs chonk it's going to make a diff but most manf'rs have several categories to try out. In my experience it matters more for irons and wedges than drivers since most driver heads are adjustable on your own nowadays. Also, if you take a look at the data tables from MGS reviews the actual distance difference between diff driver heads is pretty tight. 

Just had my fitting today. Basically, he said my Grenade wasn't too bad based on the numbers Trackman was showing. But he had my try about a half dozen different combinations and his recommendation is the ProjectX Even Flow 75, 5.5 flex. Distance numbers weren't dramatically better, but the dispersion of my shots was fairly tight, mostly with a slight draw, which I rather like to see. I was using a Ping G410 head for most of my trials. My clubhead speed was generally in the 96-98 range with several just outside of that range. This particular shaft also seemed to give me a bit higher trajectory and higher spin (most of Grenade shots were pretty low, well under 2000 RPM).

Anyway, now I'm going to scour the internet and see if I can find a good deal on a used club with this shaft, otherwise just try to find a head I like and have him put one of those shafts on it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

Just had my fitting today. Basically, he said my Grenade wasn't too bad based on the numbers Trackman was showing. But he had my try about a half dozen different combinations and his recommendation is the ProjectX Even Flow 75, 5.5 flex. Distance numbers weren't dramatically better, but the dispersion of my shots was fairly tight, mostly with a slight draw, which I rather like to see. I was using a Ping G410 head for most of my trials. My clubhead speed was generally in the 96-98 range with several just outside of that range. This particular shaft also seemed to give me a bit higher trajectory and higher spin (most of Grenade shots were pretty low, well under 2000 RPM).

Anyway, now I'm going to scour the internet and see if I can find a good deal on a used club with this shaft, otherwise just try to find a head I like and have him put one of those shafts on it.

Ahh, so I wasn't too far off! Glad you found something that you're happy with and that works. The G410 is an awesome driver head. Enjoy!

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑