TESTERS WANTED! ×

Flat Cat or Two Thumb Putter Grip?

I am a noob to the site and i'm not sure if this belongs here but I can move/repost if need be.

Recently I have been trying to reduce the wrist variable in my stroke. My putter also needs a new grip, so I was looking around and the two grips that look interesting to me so far are the Two Thumb and Flat Cat grips. Anyone use these before? Any feedback is appreciated.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

First, you have an awesome and dangerous forum handle. Good luck there 🙂

I'm also interested in your question. I've used a couple versions of the Flat Cat (the standard and the slim, if I recall correctly). I installed them so that the flat side was parallel to the club face, to feel the orientation of the face in my hands.

Just out of curiosity, how do you grip your putter? Conventional, left-hand low, or some other way? I went left-hand low a few years back, and that was very helpful to me for quieting my hands.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

First, you have an awesome and dangerous forum handle. Good luck there 🙂

I'm also interested in your question. I've used a couple versions of the Flat Cat (the standard and the slim, if I recall correctly). I installed them so that the flat side was parallel to the club face, to feel the orientation of the face in my hands.

Just out of curiosity, how do you grip your putter? Conventional, left-hand low, or some other way? I went left-hand low a few years back, and that was very helpful to me for quieting my hands.

I appreciate that, I will take all the luck I can get 🤣

I typically have a conventional grip but I have been struggling a little bit with consistency, hence wanting to reduce the variable of my wrist. 

I have been practicing with the prayer grip with both index fingers extended. I like the feel and consistency has improved but I think having a wider grip than the stock grip on my BC1 would work better with that type of grip. I do like the idea of having the flat grip positioned parallel to the face as opposed to perpendicular, did that help you?

I haven't tried left hand low, maybe i could try that depending on how this prayer grip goes. But I don't want to jump around too much at one time.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

My grip is a version of the prayer grip, just with the left hand slightly lower than the right. Basically, the big knuckle of my left thumb sits just under the same of my right thumb.

My last several putters have been with flat or flattish sided grips (Evnroll's Gravity Grip, various grips from P2). I appreciate the feedback on the face direction in my hands. That said, my current putter has a nearly round grip (the stock oversized Odyssey Stroke Lab grip), and I'm having my best putting season in a few years.

IMG_20200204_151725_2.jpg

Full WITB with pictures

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

My grip is a version of the prayer grip, just with the left hand slightly lower than the right. Basically, the big knuckle of my left thumb sits just under the same of my right thumb.

My last several putters have been with flat or flattish sided grips (Evnroll's Gravity Grip, various grips from P2). I appreciate the feedback on the face direction in my hands. That said, my current putter has a nearly round grip (the stock oversized Odyssey Stroke Lab grip), and I'm having my best putting season in a few years.

IMG_20200204_151725_2.jpg

That is definitely a change that I can incorporate. Thank you.

Having used both types of grips, would you recommend going to a flat grip? or do you think that an oversize grip would give a similar result?

P.S. I just noticed that it was your birthday... Happy Birthday!🥳

Edited by MyWifesSwingCoach

I'm gonna jump in here because I used a Flat Cat Fat for the past year plus until I got a new Golf Pride Tour SNSR. I felt very confident in it as a grip and really enjoyed it. I had it installed parallel as well, not the Rose style. I don't use a grip similar to yours, but I've used all sort of oversized grips in the past and the Flat Cat to me was about as ideal as I could get for how I grip the club.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

11 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

That is definitely a change that I can incorporate. Thank you.

Having used both types of grips, would you recommend going to a flat grip? or do you think that an oversize grip would give a similar result?

Short of going in for a putting fitting (something I've wanted to do for a while), I wouldn't be able to answer that for you definitively. My hunch is that the "hand quieting" properties of a grip tend to be based on its size more than its shape. The flat sides should have more to do with face awareness.

Full WITB with pictures

I can tell you not to go with the Two Thumb.  Last year I bought a used Cameron that had one on it and it was awful.  I had it replaced with an OEM Cameron grip and it was 100x better.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

15 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

I can tell you not to go with the Two Thumb.  Last year I bought a used Cameron that had one on it and it was awful.  I had it replaced with an OEM Cameron grip and it was 100x better.

Thank you Zen, What did you not like about the grip? Was it the quality or the feel or something else? 

15 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Short of going in for a putting fitting (something I've wanted to do for a while), I wouldn't be able to answer that for you definitively. My hunch is that the "hand quieting" properties of a grip tend to be based on its size more than its shape. The flat sides should have more to do with face awareness.

A putter fitting is something that I will be wanting to do someday also, and I would say your hunch makes sense. I am looking for a bigger grip so that i can have a lighter hold on the club while still having a stable hold of it, which I would think would help with quieting the hands. Thank you so much for your feedback @GolfSpy MPR

SuperStroke Flatso is another option with a large flat surface. I agree with the comments above about the over size or diameter of the grip doing more to quiet the wrists than the specific profile. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 7/21/2020 at 11:06 AM, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

I am a noob to the site and i'm not sure if this belongs here but I can move/repost if need be.

Recently I have been trying to reduce the wrist variable in my stroke. My putter also needs a new grip, so I was looking around and the two grips that look interesting to me so far are the Two Thumb and Flat Cat grips. Anyone use these before? Any feedback is appreciated.

So I have used both but mainly testing/experimenting with grip styles (i.e. left hand low, claw, hands facing each other, etc). Both are good grips and have loyal following. However I wouldn't compare them to each other. For me it was either the Super Stroke grips (I chose SS) or the Flat Cats as to me they are more similar in design. Two Thumb is to me is a little different design (I tested Snug Daddy).

Couple of video links to below to possibly help in your search. Good luck.

Hey @MyWifesSwingCoach another grip to potentially consider if you're using the Prayer Style grip would get some of the stuff from Garsen Grips, namely the Edge or the Max. It has a medial ridge on the grip that may best suit hand placement for the Prayer Grip. The one problem is they lack in availability in stores so you're basically buying something sight and feel unseen.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

On 7/22/2020 at 2:45 PM, aerospace_ray said:

So I have used both but mainly testing/experimenting with grip styles (i.e. left hand low, claw, hands facing each other, etc). Both are good grips and have loyal following. However I wouldn't compare them to each other. For me it was either the Super Stroke grips (I chose SS) or the Flat Cats as to me they are more similar in design. Two Thumb is to me is a little different design (I tested Snug Daddy).

Couple of video links to below to possibly help in your search. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the videos @aerospace_ray! After watching both of them, between the two I am leaning towards the Flat Cat.

4 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

Hey @MyWifesSwingCoach another grip to potentially consider if you're using the Prayer Style grip would get some of the stuff from Garsen Grips, namely the Edge or the Max. It has a medial ridge on the grip that may best suit hand placement for the Prayer Grip. The one problem is they lack in availability in stores so you're basically buying something sight and feel unseen.

And now that I am leaning towards the Flat Cat @Berg Ryman throws another grip into the mix lol Its like when i give my Wife options for dinner and she throws me a curve ball like breakfast for dinner haha

Seriously though Berg, I appreciate you bringing that grip to my attention. It looks pretty good. I may be ok for sight and feel unseen because my old mans putter grip is in worse shape than mine and he probably wouldn't mind me tossing it his way if I don't end up liking it.